Etape 2008

Comments

• dombo6
    dombo6 Posts: 582
    sveinc wrote:
    Re: the japanese author and marathon runner (http://books.guardian.co.uk/extracts/st ... 20,00.html)

That was a cracking article. There was another line which I admired:

"In long-distance running the only opponent you have to beat is yourself..."

A bit of a long one to stick on your handlebars but the same thought will apply when I am going backwards up the Tourmalet in the searing heat.

Oh, and can anyone please advise me on a decent, lightweight jacket? I'm planning on cycling in just a top but realise that I'll need a jacket for the morning and decents.

I've heard of some jackets that you can scrunch up to the size of a tennis ball when not in use. Are these any good?

What are other people wearing?

I'm wearing this
    http://www.evanscycles.com/product.jsp?style=21766

Mesh back and two openings either side at the back to reach jersey pockets
  • diarmuid
    diarmuid Posts: 73
    Triple for me
    52/42/30 x 13/25
  • kmahony
    kmahony Posts: 380
    34-28 will be my lowest gear. I'm expecting to have the 28 cog worn out by the end of the day.

I have one of these, which fits in the jersey pocket. Not really expecting to use it other than waiting around in the morning, but worth having in case the weather turns.
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=11427
  • kmahony wrote:
    34-28 will be my lowest gear. I'm expecting to have the 28 cog worn out by the end of the day.

I have one of these, which fits in the jersey pocket. Not really expecting to use it other than waiting around in the morning, but worth having in case the weather turns.
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=11427

I hope you've practiced taking it on and off whilst descending at 80km p/h ?
  • dombo6
    If it's anything like my rain jacket the parachute effect should keep him comfortably below 50kmph. You could light a cigarette at that speed
  • IanTrcp
    IanTrcp Posts: 761
    One furher hazard to avoid is that of spraining your ankle playing lunchtime badminton on an uneven surface in poorly lit conditions.

Just sat here with the ice watching it swell up.

Oh f*%$.
  • 007stucumber
    007stucumber Posts: 671
    Dombo6 wrote:
    pedylan wrote:
    sveinc wrote:
    What are other people wearing?

What's the gearing consensus on here?

12-25 x 52/39/30 triple.

39x34 for me.
    Brighton Excelsior CC top
  • crown_jewel
    crown_jewel Posts: 545
    50/34 with a 13-29. And I'll have a gilet for the descent. Agree the forecast looks perfect. Let's hope it holds!
  • normanp
    normanp Posts: 279
    Triple for me too
    52/39/30 x 12/27
  • daowned
    daowned Posts: 414
    If there is any Scots looking for some kit you would want to check out Pearsoncycles, I got a Gilet and SS Jersay a few weeks ago.

http://snipurl.com/2pz81

50/34 12/27 Specialized Roubaix.
  • thebongolian
    thebongolian Posts: 333
    Been following this thread without contributing it but thanks to all for the useful info and good luck

Think I'm ready but guess we'll find out a week Sunday. If you see a chap in a Soreen malt loaf jersey on a Condor Italia suffering, give me a shout of encouragement...
  • 50/34 with a 13-29. And I'll have a gilet for the descent. Agree the forecast looks perfect. Let's hope it holds!

I can't believe you're going to use a 34/29........
  • Well thanks everybody for all the useful and amusing info and GoodLuck All, i think its going to be fun hopefully the best fun on two wheels.I have fitted a 53 39 30 & 12 27 i am hopeing its my get out of jail free card as i come from the flat lands and am going to be tired by the climbs.I have also just fitted an extra bottle holder under the back of the seat as 25 degrees is hotter than i have ridden in this year.Have fun All !
  • markmanner
    markmanner Posts: 12
    I am also using a 50/34 with 13-29. From my gear charts, it looks like most everyone posting so far has a low gear of approximately 31 inches. I have an Assos climajet wind/rain jacket that packs pretty easily in a jersey pocket. Best, Mark
    Mark Manner
  • FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    Given the weather will be hot: http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/FREE/eur ... ionID=1836

My view is that arm warmers will be over kill. In my experience with etapes and racing is that if you can hang around outside before a ride and be 'comfortable' you're probably overdressed given what the temperature will be and you'll be doing i.e. hot and climbing. The Hautacam is quite a sheltered climb. While there was a stif breeze blowing this past Monday when I climbed it, it was so far up the hill that only in the last 3/4 kms did it get any better. Granted it was 33C in the valley which is a couple degrees warmer than the weather on the link.

Take a call the day before once you have a reliable forecast and once you are a bit acclimatized to the weather in Pau/Tarbes/Lourdes or where ever you might be staying pre-etape. Point is that a gilet is probably over kill if its going to be near 30C in Pau/Lourdes on Sunday. Last Sunday for the Hubert Arbes it was 30+ and I could have done with an ice jacket, forget about a gilet...

best of luck, don't get too nervous or serious otherwise you'll forget too much of the moment. Don't forget to talk with the riders around you, you might make some good future riding contacts.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • crown_jewel
    50/34 with a 13-29. And I'll have a gilet for the descent. Agree the forecast looks perfect. Let's hope it holds!

Well, I will have a 34/29. What I use will depend on what I need at the time. Remember, there are lots of gearing options because all riders are different. This is my first Etape, but as I understand it this is a cycling event, not a gearing contest. And it will be plenty difficult regardless of the gears I use.
  • arm warmers also make very good sunburn protectors......... they also look great rolled down.....
    Given the weather will be hot: http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/FREE/eur ... ionID=1836

My view is that arm warmers will be over kill. In my experience with etapes and racing is that if you can hang around outside before a ride and be 'comfortable' you're probably overdressed given what the temperature will be and you'll be doing i.e. hot and climbing. The Hautacam is quite a sheltered climb. While there was a stif breeze blowing this past Monday when I climbed it, it was so far up the hill that only in the last 3/4 kms did it get any better. Granted it was 33C in the valley which is a couple degrees warmer than the weather on the link.

Take a call the day before once you have a reliable forecast and once you are a bit acclimatized to the weather in Pau/Tarbes/Lourdes or where ever you might be staying pre-etape. Point is that a gilet is probably over kill if its going to be near 30C in Pau/Lourdes on Sunday. Last Sunday for the Hubert Arbes it was 30+ and I could have done with an ice jacket, forget about a gilet...

best of luck, don't get too nervous or serious otherwise you'll forget too much of the moment. Don't forget to talk with the riders around you, you might make some good future riding contacts.
  • 50/34 with a 13-29. And I'll have a gilet for the descent. Agree the forecast looks perfect. Let's hope it holds!

Well, I will have a 34/29. What I use will depend on what I need at the time. Remember, there are lots of gearing options because all riders are different. This is my first Etape, but as I understand it this is a cycling event, not a gearing contest. And it will be plenty difficult regardless of the gears I use.

Just teasing ! I'm using the same ! It is the gear of choice ! :D
  • gmillsy
    gmillsy Posts: 37
    i've been lurking on this thread but havent posted before! good luck everyone, hope you all have an amazing day - anyone starting in the 4500 -5000 pen - i'll see you there!
  • crown_jewel
    Just teasing ! I'm using the same ! It is the gear of choice !

Sorry about that. The fact is that the closer the event gets I'm less sure I have enough gears! Contador used a 34/30 in the Giro, for Pete's sake.

Best of luck to you and everyone.
  • guv001
    guv001 Posts: 688
    Just teasing ! I'm using the same ! It is the gear of choice !

Sorry about that. The fact is that the closer the event gets I'm less sure I have enough gears! Contador used a 34/30 in the Giro, for Pete's sake.

Best of luck to you and everyone.

That is correst but that was for a Time trial that was 24% in places.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Gear ratios are like frame sizes, use what suits you.
  • Here's a question; What's the policy on "taking a leak" on course ? Are they strict ? or is there toilets at each feed station ? also I find after a big breakfast when the food as began to digest I need number 2's.... is there porta-loos on the start line ? I've been to Sportives this year when I've been found wanting for this facility and it hasn't been fun on the course carrying the extra payload..... this is a serious question !
  • dombo6
    It's France. Side of the road, wherever you like.
  • FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    Take some paper with you and do what you like where you like.

Just don't litter too much, they been clamping down on that over the last few years. Pack in pack out as we used to say in camping days. But people have been watching too much Eurosport where it's cool to chuck what you don't want over your shoulder and some young wide-eyed kid will pick it up as a souvenir. Trouble is, when it's 8000 punters, no one gives a toss... (pun blatantly intended)

I'll be grinding up in 38x27, Worked a few weeks ago so I'll keep it. Watch the middle 3 kms of the Hautacam, it's really really f'ing steep and a real grind. It's easy in isolation but I rode the course from Lourdes and after the Tourmalet my exhaustion was not an isolated thing.

Also the Loucroup climb is 2 kms and as long/steep as anything you'll get in a southern UK sportive (read: Wessex, Chiltern 100 or Highclere). But the key might be he first climb of the day before Lourdes. Reccing this one in a car, it's quite narrow so pick a fast wheel and stay with it.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • Got it thanks. Will bring the paper. The Daily Mail should do fine !

One more question... what's the choice for people between hand pumps or Co2 ? I've not used Co2 cartridges before but I here you can get better pressure in half the time and without the feeling you've just bench pressed 400 pounds......
    Take some paper with you and do what you like where you like.

Just don't litter too much, they been clamping down on that over the last few years. Pack in pack out as we used to say in camping days. But people have been watching too much Eurosport where it's cool to chuck what you don't want over your shoulder and some young wide-eyed kid will pick it up as a souvenir. Trouble is, when it's 8000 punters, no one gives a toss... (pun blatantly intended)

I'll be grinding up in 38x27, Worked a few weeks ago so I'll keep it. Watch the middle 3 kms of the Hautacam, it's really really f'ing steep and a real grind. It's easy in isolation but I rode the course from Lourdes and after the Tourmalet my exhaustion was not an isolated thing.

Also the Loucroup climb is 2 kms and as long/steep as anything you'll get in a southern UK sportive (read: Wessex, Chiltern 100 or Highclere). But the key might be he first climb of the day before Lourdes. Reccing this one in a car, it's quite narrow so pick a fast wheel and stay with it.
  • markmanner
    markmanner Posts: 12
    I use co2 cartridges. I carry 3 of them, 2 tubes and a small patch kit. NOTE, before you go, get a couple and deflate your tire and use them to fill it up. Do it twice just to be sure you know how, and also check the tire pressure you get with a cylinder so you will know that as well. Thanks for the bathroom question, I had the same one. Mark
    Mark Manner
  • IanTrcp
    IanTrcp Posts: 761
    markmanner wrote:
    I use co2 cartridges. I carry 3 of them, 2 tubes and a small patch kit. NOTE, before you go, get a couple and deflate your tire and use them to fill it up. Do it twice just to be sure you know how, and also check the tire pressure you get with a cylinder so you will know that as well. Thanks for the bathroom question, I had the same one. Mark

It's ok to take CO2 cartridges on the 'plane then? Presumably as checked in luggage?
  • crown_jewel
    It's ok to take CO2 cartridges on the 'plane then? Presumably as checked in luggage?

No, it is not. You'll have to buy some when you get there.
  • Ken Night
    Ken Night Posts: 2,005
    portuguese mike wrote:

That sounds like good going to me - what distance did you make the climb? oh and did you time yourself up the Tourmalet?

Didnt really have the opportunity to climb the Tourmalet as I would have wanted as I was accompanying people

I reckon on around 1h 25m

the Hautacam around 16k from the main valley road to the ski carpark
    “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best..." Ernest Hemingway