Etape 2008

Comments

• kmahony
    kmahony Posts: 380
    Six sleeps and we're on the start line.

Weather for Pau, now showing a high of 24C with some scattered showers.
    http://uk.weather.com/weather/10day-Pau-FRXX0168

I'm sure I saw a 39C forecast in a 2007 Etape blog?
  • It's ok to take CO2 cartridges on the 'plane then? Presumably as checked in luggage?

No, it is not. You'll have to buy some when you get there.

Can you take them on the EuroStar ?
  • It's ok to take CO2 cartridges on the 'plane then? Presumably as checked in luggage?

Hope so, that's what i was planning on doing (i think i'll take my mini pump just in case)
    pm
  • dombo6
    dombo6 Posts: 582
    What food are people planning to take? Just bars and gels or proper stuff? Is there proper food at the feed stations or is it best to be self suffiicient and just use the stations for water/energy drink.
    Interestingly, Jordans Frusli bars and similar products seem to have the same carbs per 100gms as cycling specific energy bars. Taste nicer too.
  • bwanasimba
    bwanasimba Posts: 10
    Ken Night wrote:
    portuguese mike wrote:

That sounds like good going to me - what distance did you make the climb? oh and did you time yourself up the Tourmalet?

I reckon on around 1h 25m

the Hautacam around 16k from the main valley road to the ski carpark
    I recorded the distance of the climbs pretty well spot on as the organisers said. Climbed the Tourmalet on a 34x25 in 1:22, and exactly the same time for the Hautacam. When I got back to the UK, I bought a 13-29.....a couple of sections on the Hautacam are really steep. You see the kilometre signs saying next 1K @ 9% and you actually start descending. Then you think - hell, that means the rest of this kilometre must be 12-13%....and it is.

I reckon if I can tap out a good rythmn, then with the better gearing now I could do 1:15 for both. BUT, don't forget that by the time you get to St Marie de Campan, you will already have climbed c 1,300M, and at the base of the Hautacam you will have c 2,600M in your legs. FYI total ascent I recorded as 3,725 M.
  • bwanasimba
    kmahony wrote:

I couldn't see this link posted anywhere.....weather forecast for the top of the Tourmalet. I went over it 3 weeks ago and it was snowing, 4 C.

http://www.meteonews.fr/index.php?page= ... s=07000019
  • kmahony
    bwanasimba wrote:
    don't forget that by the time you get to St Marie de Campan, you will already have climbed c 1,300M, and at the base of the Hautacam you will have c 2,600M in your legs. FYI total ascent I recorded as 3,725 M.

Hi Bwanasimba, thanks for the info. What were you using to measure the ascent?
    Did you take the route out to Rebenac?

thanks
  • Piggy
    Piggy Posts: 43
    Late to the gearing ad clothing debate as haven't checked in for a couple of days. Triple for me 30/39/52 and 12-27. First Etape for me - no delusions of speed, just want to get it done! Was planning on lightweight jacket to stuff in Jersey or saddle bag with short sleeved shirt. Cap under helmet as my luxurious growth of hair (not) doesn't offer much sun protection. Have to remember subblock - did 50 miles at weekend in Norfolk and had very pink arms at the end :oops:

Planning on taking Fab Baking Boys flapjacks, Eat Natural bars plus some gels and SIS powdery stuff.

Can't wait now...not looking forward to drive down - though trusy companion will hopefully do most of it. Lesser of 2 evils following Ryanair buggering up bike at Whitsun...

Good luck all - number 3506 in case anyone's in that pen
  • bwanasimba
    Piggy wrote:
    Good luck all - number 3506 in case anyone's in that pen
    Wowzer! I'm 3530.....I'll be wearing a classic black and white Peugeot top with arm warmers and blue helmet...I'll see you there...please say hello!
  • bwanasimba
    kmahony wrote:
    Hi Bwanasimba, thanks for the info. What were you using to measure the ascent?
    Did you take the route out to Rebenac?
    Polar S725X. I've found it quite good, although I always look up start point altitudes and reset it on the start line or in the hotel to make sure it's as accurate as it can be. Of course, if the weather's changeable that affects the accuray of the readings.....

Yes, I did take the road to Rebenacq. Be careful coming down from the ridge after there -some [nice/twisty/scary] descent, nothing to worry about if you've got soft hands but I bet it's where you'll see the first accidents when people lose their lines in the corners and scrub off a bit too much speed causing panic behind them....
  • kmahony
    bwanasimba wrote:
    Polar S725X. I've found it quite good,

Excellent. I have the same watch and it's always fairly accurate. 3725m sounds good. (A bit less than my pessimistic estimates)

Number 3594 for me. I'll be wearing the top on the left (along with 4 others).
  • Bwanasimba, interesting that it took the same time to climb both. i had assumed, naively obviously, that since the Hautacam was a bit shorter but a similar overall gradient it would be a bit quicker to climb. do you think it's a slower climb because its harder to get into a rhythm? or in fact is it longer than it says on the etape route :cry:
    pm
  • bwanasimba
    Bwanasimba, interesting that it took the same time to climb both. i had assumed, naively obviously, that since the Hautacam was a bit shorter but a similar overall gradient it would be a bit quicker to climb. do you think it's a slower climb because its harder to get into a rhythm? or in fact is it longer than it says on the etape route :cry:
    Many reasons, but mostly because I was toasted at that point. But, the climb is so variable it is impossible to get into a decent rhythm. Also there is no compensation of the fantastic view you get on the Tourmalet until you get much higher up. I hate climbs up narrow roads, and this is fairly narrow and I felt hemmed in. Also, I was way too hot at the bottom of the climb and it hit me how hot it was when the wind rush from the valley was no longer there. I don't think I will need my 29 on the Tourmalet: I bought it only for the Hautacam.

Look at www.altimetrias.com for a better profile of the Hautacam...it's much more revealing.
  • sveinc
    sveinc Posts: 5
    Have a bit of a red tape question if anyone could help...

What are the rules regarding personal insurance?

I have bought myself some health insurance which covers the race but have been told that I need/must present an EHIC card at the start. Can anyone shed any light on this?

Cheers
  • SunWuKong
    SunWuKong Posts: 364
    I am number 3511, I'll lookout for and say hello to any of you guys I see in the pen. I'll be on my pedalforce RS2 that I just posted onto the 'check out my ride' thread, wearing a white adidas jersey. Oh yeah, because my RS2 only has bosses for one bottle cage I will be using a Profile rear mount for the Etape, so that'll be easy to spot.

I'm taking gels, home made flap jacks, nuun tablets and torq carb drink.

I'll wait and see about the weather before deciding on gillet, arm warmers, etc. In 2006 I didn't bother with gillet or arm warmers, but it was very hot that day. I was a little cold at the start but took some old football socks with the ends cut off. Got some funny looks but took them off just before the start and chucked them in a bin.

I'm getting excited now. :D
  • joorice
    joorice Posts: 9
    Hi - I'm number 3756... so we're probably in the same pen... will definitely look out for you... I'm riding a red Time Edge... First etape for me... and I had to live in England to enter.. forgot to mention I'm French...

And by the way, it is an important day for me... as I'm turning 40 on July 6th !

Good luck to everyone and see you there !
    Fab
    FabDach
  • Look at www.altimetrias.com for a better profile of the Hautacam...it's much more revealing.[/quote]

Thanks for the link.

I'm bib number 6215 so i'll be chugging along way back on my blue waterford (and probably in a blue assos jersey) in my 'not sure it's low enough anymore having seen that profile' 34/26 bottom gear
    pm
  • crown_jewel
    crown_jewel Posts: 545
    I'm 6442, so I'll be right there with you on my green and black Indy Fab.

Hope so, that's what i was planning on doing (i think i'll take my mini pump just in case)

I will take both but if they confiscate them I'll just buy some in Pau...... does the service vehicle carry a floor pump or don't they help with punctures ?
  • Rich.H
    Rich.H Posts: 443
    Thats it - I am ready.

A steady 50 mile ride yesterday (in the wind and rain) and I felt great. I'll probably do an easy hour on Wednesday before travelling to Portsmouth just to remind my legs what they are there for :lol:

Bike has been stripped and cleaned. Just need to put some fresh bar tape on and lube the chain before it goes into the bag. Lowest gear is 34-27.

I'll take a look at the forecast but I am between gilet / armwarmers or a lightweight windproof at the moment. I'll decide the night before.

#7140 for me. I'll be on a white / black Look 595, wearing a white jersey. There may even be a small St Georges Cross on the seat stay :wink:

Good luck

Rich
  • Here is an excellent article on the Tourmalet that appeared in CycleSport earlier this year..... 20MB size..... or a short time only.... should get you pumped....

http://web.mac.com/whiteboytrash/Site_2 ... inder1.pdf
  • crown_jewel
    crown_jewel Posts: 545
    Terrific article, thanks.

Travel safely, everybody.
  • IanTrcp
    IanTrcp Posts: 761
    bwanasimba wrote:
    kmahony wrote:

I couldn't see this link posted anywhere.....weather forecast for the top of the Tourmalet. I went over it 3 weeks ago and it was snowing, 4 C.

http://www.meteonews.fr/index.php?page= ... s=07000019

Here's a 6-day forecast for La Mongie / Bareges, showing expected conditions at three altitudes.

http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Bareges/6day/mid

And another one:

http://www.j2ski.com/snow_forecast/Fran ... _snow.html

And another one:

http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/FREE/sno ... sortID=251

Take your pick!
  • daowned
    daowned Posts: 414
    A early departure for the Etape for me, good luck have a nice one.

france_flag.gifwaving.gifwaving.gifwaving.giffrance_flag.gif
  • Its going to rain !!! :cry::cry::cry::cry:
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • bwanasimba
    Its going to rain !!! :cry::cry::cry::cry:
    Don't worry. It'll make the ascents easier. You'll gain more time on the ascents than you'll lose on the descents. And no-one will see you crying in the rain :wink:

But yeah, now we really have to think hard about clothing..... :shock:
  • IanTrcp
    IanTrcp Posts: 761
    phips wrote:
    SunWuKong wrote:
    I'm taking gels, home made flap jacks, nuun tablets and torq carb drink.

Howdy,

What size of Torq packaging do you have, or are you making separate bags/containers? I'd like to take my torq energy drink, but since I have the large 5kg pot I need to filter off measured amounts. Of course, this just looks like bags of white powder in my luggage then :shock:

I've been thinking about this also. What do you think two large bags of white powder, a tube of electroconductive gel and my Ergomo power meter will look like on the airport x-ray machine....?
  • SunWuKong
    SunWuKong Posts: 364
    I'm afraid it's little bags of white powder. They'll be in the bike box so it'll be fine.

I'll pack the bike and kit tonight. What are people doing about CO2 cartridges? I know you're not supposed to take them on a plane.
  • pedylan
    pedylan Posts: 768
    bwanasimba wrote:
    Its going to rain !!! :cry::cry::cry::cry:
    Don't worry. It'll make the ascents easier. You'll gain more time on the ascents than you'll lose on the descents. And no-one will see you crying in the rain :wink:

But yeah, now we really have to think hard about clothing..... :shock:

Heat is more of a problem than rain. And it can't rain like it did at the Etape Caledonia last year, now that was rain!

Gillet plus sleeves, let the legs get wet and consider overshoes.
    Where the neon madmen climb