Popette's fame

Comments

• TheBoyBilly
    TheBoyBilly Posts: 749
    Have you been fitted out with the gear and a bike already? I am looking forward to reading about the progress you all make. The chap trying to get shot of all that weight could be an inspiration to many. Good luck to you all.
    To disagree with three-fourths of the British public is one of the first requisites of sanity - Oscar Wilde
  • geoff_ss
    geoff_ss Posts: 1,201
    I bought a copy of Cycling+ today and read the article featuring the famous Poppette. To my horror I discovered I'm exactly twice her age :cry:

I'm not jealous - honest.

Geoff
    Old cyclists never die; they just fit smaller chainrings ... and pedal faster
  • ricadus
    ricadus Posts: 2,379
    Never mind – twice as wise, eh?
  • popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    I am 34 and so still just about early thirties right? The headline said 35 which is definitely mid-thirties :shock: (not that I'm sensitive about these things of course :lol: )

We're going on Friday to collect the bikes and all the gear and to do some testing with our coach, not to mention the photo shoot at the airfield. Thursday night is going to be a few hours of bronzing, buffing, plucking, shaving etc etc

It really is a great experience so far. Today I got an email from the company who I booked my etape place with, congratulating me on the article and wishing me well. I didn't tell them anything about it but they obviously must have remembered the name. :D
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    popette wrote:
    I am 34 and so still just about early thirties right? The headline said 35 which is definitely mid-thirties :shock: (not that I'm sensitive about these things of course :lol: )

We're going on Friday to collect the bikes and all the gear and to do some testing with our coach, not to mention the photo shoot at the airfield. Thursday night is going to be a few hours of bronzing, buffing, plucking, shaving etc etc

It really is a great experience so far. Today I got an email from the company who I booked my etape place with, congratulating me on the article and wishing me well. I didn't tell them anything about it but they obviously must have remembered the name. :D
    I am also mid thirties, just, but then again thats my waist size :cry:
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,657
    god neither ASDA nor Tescos had one in.....gutted

i wanna see how fit poppette is!!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    I am also mid thirties, just, but then again thats my waist size :cry:

Where do I join this club where your age matches your waist?
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Ken Night
    Ken Night Posts: 2,005
    Nice to see the mag has so much content we see here reflected in the magazine, and hence to put some faces to names

I do believe it's one of the best issues I've read.

At the editors request, I submitted a pic of a favoured cakestop, which I understand is the subject of an article in next months issue

I'm disappointed the said Ed, didn't even offer to buy us a bun, let alone a bike
    “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best..." Ernest Hemingway
  • popette
    ddraver wrote:

oh dear, I fear you're heading for a disappointment :D
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,657
    popette wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

never 8) :oops:
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Ken Night
    Ken Night Posts: 2,005
    popette wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

I was.......because I was looking for Mrs Hulk!
    “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best..." Ernest Hemingway
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    Ken Night wrote:

I was sure Popette said she used to compete to a good level in the shot putt, so I guess I was looking for a similar person to you Ken!
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    th_83312_zzScan0001_122_1144lo.JPG
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • We're going on Friday to collect the bikes and all the gear and to do some testing with our coach, not to mention the photo shoot at the airfield. Thursday night is going to be a few hours of bronzing, buffing, plucking, shaving etc etc

The bronzing, buffing, plucking and shaving is what i doing as well on Thuesday night. Must remember to go to ASDA for the NAIR cream. You do get funny looks buying this stuff!!
    Just a fat bloke on a bike
  • popette
    hammerite wrote:
    Ken Night wrote:

I was sure Popette said she used to compete to a good level in the shot putt, so I guess I was looking for a similar person to you Ken!

:lol: yes, that's right, hammerite. More of a discus thrower though.
    I feel like Mrs Hulk when I stand next to other cyclists - you're all like whippets and I still look like I could chuck my bike as far as I could ride it.
  • McBain_v1
    McBain_v1 Posts: 5,237
    Nowt wrong with muscle :wink:

What do I ride? Now that's an Enigma!
  • TheBoyBilly
    In one of my previous posts:

"The chap trying to get shot of all that weight could be an inspiration to many. Good luck to you all."

Memo to self:- read ALL of the thread before posting. Sorry Howie I didn't realise you were already posting on this subject. Good luck with your aims, I hope it all goes well. As another weight-challenged soul I look forward to reading how your weight-loss programme goes, and any advice given by the Coach.
    To disagree with three-fourths of the British public is one of the first requisites of sanity - Oscar Wilde
  • Hi Billy

Hey no worries i did laugh out loud when i read your post! I think for me this will be a quest because i know i will never be the whippet i was in my cycling youth, but i know with a good training programme from Joe Beer, my effort and commitment, i can shed more than a few pounds, and have also jolly good fun along the way, and most importantly, keep the weight off.

Keep reading the mag and look out for our blogs.

Best wishes
  • TheBoyBilly
    How did the day picking up the bikes/gear go?
  • The bikes are excellent, really sporty rides.

The Power test and VO2 max tests were interesting with Joe Beer and his colleague, we await the results.

Lots of photos taken at a nearby airfield with 35 to 40 mph winds, at one point we were all doing 35mph behind the photographers truck with hardly any effort, until we had to turn around, then it was tough. Dont let the final photos deceive you, it was cold and windy but the rain held off until we finished.

All in all a good day to meet the C+ guys, Joe and meet up with our team mates.
  • McBain_v1
    McBain_v1 Posts: 5,237
    Must not be jealous...

:D

What do I ride? Now that's an Enigma!
  • popette
    Awww, it was probably in my top 20 best days of my life! Just such an amazing experience.

Joe is awesome! Now that we've done the testing, I can't wait to get working with him. I don't think it would be possible to go wrong with him as your coach - he really knows his stuff and just knowing that you have someone like that behind you fills you with confidence.

I didn't use my bike on the cheshire cat but I'm going out on it tonight. Can't wait.

Thank you Cycling Plus!!!!
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Did they not give you a choice of bike?

Afterall offering only a Shimano bike, could offend some people.

Still not bad, getting a bike for nothing, even if it's got Shimano on it.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • popette
    It didn't offend me in the slightest :D - the bike felt so quick compared to what I'm riding; the gear changes were so smooth. I loved it.
  • I can agree with Popette about our coach and the day, and the bikes are amazing. I have only used Campag, but there is a difference, and now i have two bikes, one of each type, i think i would prefer the Shimano.

Just need to fit some pedals to mine and i will be using it at the Lakeland Loop next. Baptism of fire for the bike!
  • redddraggon
    I have only used Campag, but there is a difference, and now i have two bikes, one of each type, i think i would prefer the Shimano.

Sinner

Repent!
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • heavymental
    heavymental Posts: 2,079

Are you joking or not Redd!? :?

ah fck it. woteva.
  • redddraggon

Are you joking or not Redd!? :?

ah fck it. woteva.

I was joking, I don't think you can get offended by having Shimano (unless you were mistreated in a Japanese POW camp during the war and refuse to use anything Japanese).
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • heavymental
    heavymental Posts: 2,079
    Ok! Wasn't sure.
  • TheBoyBilly
    What's the latest? No sign of a blog yet, or do we have to wait on tenterhooks for next months' ish?