Looking for riding buddies in and around sunny Hull.......

Comments

• Aj2008
    Aj2008 Posts: 29
    No poblem XL, glad to be of help.

Hope to see you out soon :D
  • sl2
    sl2 Posts: 9
    hi guys i live in hull and cycle around raywell skidby and brantingham if you ever feel like going out a little earlier i would like to join you
    i usually set off about 8; 30 so i would get to skidby about 8:50
    though i usually start from raywell
  • Aj2008
    Hi SL2, hows it going?

No prob for you joining us on sunday, dont supose u fancy making it 9.30 at the mill do you?

ive gotta bike from east hull thats all.
  • sl2
    hi aj how long do you go out for from the mill
  • Aj2008
    about 2 or 3 hours usually (20+ miles)
  • sl2
    hi aj any chance you could start at raywell instead of the mill
    or is the mill closer for other riders
  • Aj2008
    hi SL2. we usually meet at the mill as its pretty central for us and usually head thro skidby for starters.

we are meeting at the mill at 10 on sunday if you fancy it?
  • sl2
    hi aj i will not be able to make it on sunday i'm full of cold
    so some other time
    i will keep checking back on this site
    i also use bike magic website
    do any of you do night riding through the dark nights
  • Aj2008
    we are out agin on sunday SL2 if u r up for it?

havnt done any night riding but could be up for it. let us know when and where u r planning?
  • sl2
    hi aj will it be at 10;00 am
    i might be able to make it but dont know yet
  • Aj2008
    yeah we meeting at 10

hopefully see you sunday :D
  • sl2371
    sl2371 Posts: 748
    anyone from here going out tonight if so could i tag along :)
  • Hi there, any of you chaps still going out local regularly?
  • Hi there,

I'm from around this area! Northallerton actually, i ride dalby often enough if anyone fancies it?

Going to Hamsterly on wednesday aswell if anyones up for it!
  • Hi, I live in 'ull too. Not from here but have been up in Yorkshire for 5 years now. I started proper MTBing when I moved here. Raywell woods are OK but it's a short ride and can be seriously muddy! Try this loop, I get the 9:20 train from Paragon to Driffield. Ride to the start of the Wetwang loop then have a pint in one of driffield's pubs and get the train back! The winter timetable has screwed this slightly, the earliest train is now 12:00! but it does mean I get time for a few more pints after as the return trains aren't so frequent!

http://www.mtb-routes.co.uk/northyorkmo ... oute2.aspx

Waiting for my new frame from Cliff Pratts. Just like to add, this bike shop is great. Friendly staff and great service!

If anyone wants to join me, my next trip to Driffield will be in a couple of weeks, my current bike is coming to the end of it's life, the BB is shot and the play in it is killing my knees!!! So I'm not going until my new one arrives! out with the old - GT Avalanche in with the new - Cove Stiffee FR, RS Rev's 426, XT, Hayes Strokers, Mavics, etc, etc.

The train only allows 2 bikes at a time, but I've noticed the conductors dont seem to be bothered as long as you move it out of their way! I've seen 5 bikes on this train before!

Anyway, send a reply if you're interested.
  • Hi, I live in 'ull too. Not from here but have been up in Yorkshire for 5 years now. I started proper MTBing when I moved here. Raywell woods are OK but it's a short ride and can be seriously muddy! Try this loop, I get the 9:20 train from Paragon to Driffield. Ride to the start of the Wetwang loop then have a pint in one of driffield's pubs and get the train back! The winter timetable has screwed this slightly, the earliest train is now 12:00! but it does mean I get time for a few more pints after as the return trains aren't so frequent!

Waiting for my new frame from Cliff Pratts. Just like to add, this bike shop is great. Friendly staff and great service!

If anyone wants to join me, my next trip to Driffield will be in a couple of weeks, my current bike is coming to the end of it's life, the BB is shot and the play in it is killing my knees!!! So I'm not going until my new one arrives! out with the old - GT Avalanche in with the new - Cove Stiffee FR, RS Rev's 426, XT, Hayes Strokers, Mavics, etc, etc.

The train only allows 2 bikes at a time, but I've noticed the conductors dont seem to be bothered as long as you move it out of their way! I've seen 5 bikes on this train before!

i've been looking at doing a loop or too around that way, Yours seem to be alot of the smaller ones i was planning to do. let me know when your thinking of doing your next one, since its getting darker on a afternoon these days i might have to get some of these Tesco torches for my SX trail.

Cheers,
    Matt.
    Yorkshire Man living in Somerset
    http://twitter.com/Mattharperbikin
  • Rory T
    Rory T Posts: 116
    Cliff Pratt are great, got me set up with a trusty steed and continue to give me plenty of disount because of my custom. The train journey does sound a good one, never thought of the train, usually car journey to the moors, not much here in Hull :( hope the cove frame n the other bits n bobs work a treat :D
  • Rory T wrote:
    The train journey does sound a good one, never thought of the train, usually car journey to the moors, not much here in Hull :( hope the cove frame n the other bits n bobs work a treat :D

theres quiet abit of routes which could be done between market Weighton, pocklington, driffield, (basically on the wolds) and around Malton, as well as many places on the moors as you say. Theres about 3 around bridlington too :P
    Yorkshire Man living in Somerset
    http://twitter.com/Mattharperbikin
  • MattHarper wrote:
    Hi, I live in 'ull too. Not from here but have been up in Yorkshire for 5 years now. I started proper MTBing when I moved here. Raywell woods are OK but it's a short ride and can be seriously muddy! Try this loop, I get the 9:20 train from Paragon to Driffield. Ride to the start of the Wetwang loop then have a pint in one of driffield's pubs and get the train back! The winter timetable has screwed this slightly, the earliest train is now 12:00! but it does mean I get time for a few more pints after as the return trains aren't so frequent!

i've been looking at doing a loop or too around that way, Yours seem to be alot of the smaller ones i was planning to do. let me know when your thinking of doing your next one, since its getting darker on a afternoon these days i might have to get some of these Tesco torches for my SX trail.

Cheers,
    Matt.

Get them torches mate, ya cant beat em. Cheap and cheerful, but work perfectly. :wink:
  • Aj2008
    where bouts in Hull u from shadowmunter? raywell is a good ride but that is not the only ride round here. been doing these trails for a bit now and know some hard climbs and hairy hills. if u wanna meet sometime let us know. would be a pleasure.

this goes for anybody who fancies a ride out, i usually do bout 50m from east hull :D

we usually ride sunday but i cant do this sunday. can do sat if anyone fancies it???
  • Well I have the new frame. Much better than the old GT I had. Lee at Cliff Pratt sorted my forks out too, apparantly I had them too soft.

I had computer problems for the last week or so (virus) and couldn't get on here to post the ride so I went out alone. Stupidly muddy! The fastest I've completed this loop has been 3 hours give or take a couple of minutes (Dry summer time). After riding for 3 hours on Sunday I wasn't even a third of the way around! Light was failing so I had to get on the road the trudge back to Driffield. Dont know if I'm gonna be doing this loop again before the spring now, it's just too muddy. The guys churning up the trails on motorbikes, quads and land rovers dont help either, (I was actualy passed by a ten year old driving 4x4 at one point!) :shock:

Aj2008, I live around Springbank area. I wont be out this Sunday, works Christmas Party!!! So I doubt I'll be in any condition to ride! :D

I have Tuesdays free or next Sunday (13th).

MattHarper, only do that loop I put up if you really really really want to get bogged down in the mud!!! From Sir Tanton Sykes monument to Fridaythorpe took nearly 3 hours!!! :shock: after the first bit of trail, from the monument to the first road crossing, my bike must have gained around 40lb!

Will be doing it again in the spring.
  • Aj2008, I live around Springbank area. I wont be out this Sunday, works Christmas Party!!! So I doubt I'll be in any condition to ride!

Im only round the corner from you, off chanterlands ave and im just starting back out with riding again after a good few years off (such a mistake) do you or any other guys replied in here still do regular rides or is it too poo weather for it at the mo?
    "Don't ask the reasons why cos there arent any, don't follow convention, never say no, just believe in what you see and let the good times roll!"
  • Aj2008
    we usually do pretty regular rides out wheelieguy, but saying that i havnt been out for a decent ride for a bit. headed out for a jolly last sunday and did my wrist in slipping on black ice, but im hoping to get out over the xmas period. cant do this sunday tho as im out on sat. maybe next weekend (21st) if anyone fancies it?
  • That sounds cool to me, ill warn you now though i might not be particularly good as not been on a bike in a while though...

Im going to go bget a few miles in this sunday possibly great gutter lane for a look in scout wood then back through little weighton i reckon, as long as its not heaving it down which apparently its supposed to.

Where would you be wanting to meet up next sunday then, im chants ave area so pretty central, its john btw bud!
    "Don't ask the reasons why cos there arent any, don't follow convention, never say no, just believe in what you see and let the good times roll!"
  • Aj2008
    We usually meet at Skidby Mill at about 10, but will let u know for defo before.

The weather dont look to good this weekend does it, but if u do head out can you let us know what the trails are like. cheers.

Hope to see u next week John.

Aaron :D
  • Aye its not too good is it and it doesnt look good for tomorrow either which is damn annoying as ive not yet ridden my new bike and im dying to get out on it grrrr.

Definatley going to try and get out though if it stops although ive a feeling that everything will be a swamp after the rain weve had last night and today!
  • Aj2008 wrote:
    We usually meet at Skidby Mill at about 10, but will let u know for defo before.

The weather dont look to good this weekend does it, but if u do head out can you let us know what the trails are like. cheers.

Hope to see u next week John.

Aaron :D

Well i managed to get out yesterday, went up through cottingham down eppleworth road and onto the old hull-barnsley railway line, followed that out to little weighton and back through rowley to eppleworth road up to skidby and down through cottingham again.

Everywhere was like a slippery swap tbh especially the low lying parts near little weighton and the wood at rowley (end of eppleworth road) if it stays clear this week it should make for some good riding but im not sure as i will join up with you just as yet due to me being far more unfit than i knew i would be and i dont want to hold you up as im pretty slow and amazingly bad uphill.
    Was only out for about three hours but my legs feel like it was three days today so i need a LOT of practise i reckon :cry:
  • Aj2008
    Dont ya just love that feeling after u have been on a bike, when not riden for a while, u know, when u cant walk properly for days :lol:

I havnt been out properley for a couple of months myself so im gonna be feeling it, so dont feel bad for holding us back, it might be me. Also, i always find i ride better when im playing catch up anyway. Plus, its not a race.

Hopefully your walking better and u change ya mind :D

Il let u know details before sunday
  • Well if you put it like that and youre sure you dont mind then id love to, for one to meet more people to ride with and two, to get out as much as possible, my thought is that if i can get partway into shape over winter then things will be easier in summer.

I just thought id better warn you that im way lacking in stamina but not spirit and didnt want to have you stopping to wait for me and getting annoyed lol, and youre right you do have a better ride with someone to push you or push against!

Btw legs still ache but no pain no gain as they say and im already looking forward to getting out again :D
  • altern_8
    altern_8 Posts: 1,562
    live in hull mate,so get in touch,normally do dalby/dales or york moors,started to doing peak district as well.......