Looking for riding buddies in and around sunny Hull.......

Aj2008
Aj2008 Posts: 29
edited January 2009 in MTB rides
Hi all. Been riding for a good year now, mainly on or around the Trans Pennine Trail and Brantingham Dales. Im looking for people/groups in or around the Hull area to go on XC and long distance rides with.

Im planning to do the Trans Pennine Trail (Southport to Hornsea) over a few days when the weather gets better ( possibly for charity). So also looking for voluteers for that :D

Comments

• jam1e
    jam1e Posts: 1,068
    Alright mate,

I live near "sunny" Hull so could be pesuaded to go out some time. In between bikes at the minute as I'm waiting on my merlin build... I normally drive to the peaks/dales etc for xc stuff.

Let me know anyway,
  • I am around this area.

Don't ride MTBs that much anymore, but always enjoy it when I do! Like the idea of the Pennine Trail ride though..

Have often wondered if it was possible to do in 24hrs.

I think some of it is still out of action after the flooding. Will have to have a look!
  • owen_MTB
    owen_MTB Posts: 222
    I live in Hull, get in touch!!!
    It is a rough road that leads to the heights of greatness
  • Aj2008
    hi owen

where you go riding? and what you riding?
  • Aj2008
    hi jamie.

merlins are a nice bike. ive got a marin pioneer trail which is a nice ride, hopefully getting felt later this year.

not managed to get out on the peaks as yet but defo up for that. when you planning on getting back on the trails?
  • Aj2008
    hi gunball.

the trans pennine is a defo for this year but not sure in 24 hrs. that would be some going lol

im hoping that the flood damaged areas will be sorted by time i do it, but if not it all adds to the trip :)

let us know if you fancy doing a stint of it soon, be good training. maybe york to hull?
  • owen_MTB
    Aj2008 wrote:
    hi owen

where you go riding? and what you riding?

i ride a diamondback apex if thats what you mean, or cross country ;)
    erm i go around Brangtingham, Ferriby, and Skidy etc etc you???
  • Aj2008
    I do a bit round Raywell, Brantingham, Melton, Southcave etc.

I was out and about round there the other day. Started off on the old riplingham road in skidby, which was real boggy, through to little weighton, walkington, beverley, woodmansea, dunswell and then home. was a good ride out.

planning to get down brantingham way pretty soon as want to find some more trails.

where bouts in hull you at? East or West?
  • West is best :lol:

Seems to be a healthy following of riders in and around town at the mo. We aren’t blessed with the best terrain so we mainly hot foot it over to the Pennines or up to the Moors.
  • I ride from Beverley if anyone fancies a ride on Sunday morning. :)
  • Aj2008
    your right there monkey, im dying to get out on real trails, but not got no transport at the moment so im stuck with riding local. Should have something sorted soon tho :D
  • Aj2008
    where you thinking eats dirt?
  • owen_MTB
    Aj2008 wrote:
    I do a bit round Raywell, Brantingham, Melton, Southcave etc.

I was out and about round there the other day. Started off on the old riplingham road in skidby, which was real boggy, through to little weighton, walkington, beverley, woodmansea, dunswell and then home. was a good ride out.

planning to get down brantingham way pretty soon as want to find some more trails.

where bouts in hull you at? East or West?

from the east ;) just off holderness road you?
    yeah raywell is good! nice bit of woods with some nice trails in, i use alot around skidby walkington etc etc
  • Probably towards Skidby then Welton, over to Brantingham, South Cave and back. With a bit of road it will be 25 - 30miles.
  • Aj2008
    well looks like were neighbours owen as im off southcoates :)

you fancy a ride out on sunday morning with eats dirt? can meet him at skidby?
  • Aj2008
    yeah im up for that eats dirt and ive asked owen along. can meet you at skidby mill if you want as we biking from east hull. what time suits you?
  • Is 9.30 ok for you?
  • Aj2008
    yeah 9.30 is fine. at skidby mill yeah?

just wondering, how old are you?
  • 9.30 at the mill is fine.

I'm 37 and have been riding for 20+ years, although following breaking my arm riding in Greece haven't riden much since November. So am a little heavier than i would like and need to get sorted for riding the Merida marathons and SITS this year.

How old are you and what's your riding history?

See you at 9.30.
  • Aj2008
    im 28 and been riding for years, not as much as i would like, but planning to get more serious year. im hoping to do the rolling wolds challenge in summer and just looked up the merida marathon and that looks a good ride.

see you at 9.30 at the mill.
  • Rory T
    Rory T Posts: 116
    Hey guys, just writting to ask how your ride went today. Sunny spells for a change :D have'nt bin able to find any groups to buddy up with in hull so far. End up doin much ridin off road?
  • The ride went well, we rode over towards Welton mostly off road. The ground wasn't too bad.

We're meeting at 10 on Sunday @ Skiby Mill if you want to join.
  • Rory T
    Rory T Posts: 116
    Good goog, well i would really like to join u guys. sadly i promised a friend i go see FC play that day, i believe its their first game of the new season is it?......i dunno. Please do send a message my way the next time u plan a ride because i really dont wanna miss another oppertunity. Would appreciate it.
  • owen_MTB
    10 on sunday? Could i join maybe?, how far would it be?
    email me please as i cant always log on on here :(
    ozzer11@yahoo.co.uk
  • xlgaz
    xlgaz Posts: 2
    I'm totally new to mountain biking (based in Market Weighton) and I really need to get out and about, lose a few lbs, find out where all the local bike trails are, pick up some advice on what kit is best etc. 32 years old.
  • Aj2008
    Alright XL. Hows it going?

Well we usually meet at Skiby Mill on a Sunday morning if you can get there. We ride Brantinham/Southcave etc and to be honest im pretty new to riding these Trails myself, but Eats Dirt has been showing me some good routes. Also if you come in car, we usually do a loop (about 20 miles or so) so no prob for picking ya car up.

If we a bit out of your way Eats Dirt lives your neck of the woods so drop him a PM to find the best routes round your end. Also most of the routes are on the OS maps.

As for gear and tips, i suggest you check out Bikeradar as they have lots of good advice on, well everything. But if your prefer face to face advice then try Cliff Pratts Cycles on Spring Bank and Freetown Cycles in Hull city centre, they are both very helpfull.
  • eats dirt
    eats dirt Posts: 18
    For a change why not start from Beverley, with a bit of road it's possible to get a reasonable ride towards Newbald and Market Weighton.

Let me know what you think. :)
  • Aj2008
    you trying to do me in Rob......lol :lol:

But yeah why not, i can take a steady ride up, also i could do with pushing my self abit more. So what time and where?

knew i should of PMed XL :wink:
  • eats dirt
    eats dirt Posts: 18
    After Sundays ride, i think you'll be doing me in. :lol:
  • xlgaz
    xlgaz Posts: 2
    Sounds great, thanks for your advice, I've bookmarked those cycle shops. I need to get some shorts, waterproofs and spare tubes so I'll have a drive across.

I need to get my lawn seeded this weekend ready for Spring (under pressure from the missus) but after that I'll be set to go - it'll give me chance to get some miles in and get adjusted to this seat.

I'll drive up to Skidby Mill and do the loop (or at least I'm hoping I can do the full loop)