Richmond Park 3-lap Challenge - 2008

Comments

• Billios
    Billios Posts: 96
    I dont live in London any more, but brought my bike when visiting mates this weekend and had a bash at the 3 laps. First time sub 60mins with a 59:56 , almost seven minutes faster than i was this time last year (and over 5 kilos lighter). Very pleased with myself.

AndrewBye.................. ...3laps/anti........74kg.......48:45......Apr..........Elite RR
    Superlightweight...............3laps/anti........81kg.......49:25......May.........2catRR / TTer.
    KingstonWheeler..............3laps/anti........68kg.......51:59......Apr...........3CatRR
    mark_d..............................3 laps/anti.......60kg.......52:10.....May............3CatRR
    naked_ollie........................3 laps/anti.......75kg.......52:44.....May............
    seabadger........................3 laps/anti.......78kg.......52:51......May...........
    Mookie..............................3 laps/clock....65kg.......52:58......Apr............
    Toks..................................3laps/Anti.......72kg.......53.47.....May............3 CatRR
    AmateurDC.....................3laps/Anti........85kg.......53.48......July............None
    MatHammond..................3laps/Anti.......85kg.......53.50......May............
    Grazer....................... ......3 laps/anti.......78kg.......54.00......May............ Tri/Sportive
    Matthew.t.........................3laps/Anti.......71kg.......54.12......May...........
    BrianMc............................3 laps/anti.......76kg.......54:29......Apr............
    CJ.....................................3laps/anti........79kg.......54:33......May............
    Merrick.............................3 laps/anti.......72kg.......55.00......May...........
    Damo..............................3laps/Anti.......lightkg...55.10.....May............4thCatRR
    JonGinge .........................3laps/anti.......67Kg......55:25.....May............ Club
    Molman............................3laps/Anti.......87kg......55.31.....May............
    Tin man...........................3 laps/Anti......68kg......55:41.....May............Sportive/Tri
    rolo tumazi.......................3laps/anti.......75kg......55:41.....May............
    francist..........................3 laps/Anti......71kg......56:03.....July...........
    Gradiric..........................3laps/Anti.......75kg......56.40.....May............
    Bush75............................3laps/Anti.......75kg......57.01.....May............
    POD...............................3laps/anti.......83Kg......57:08.....July......... Returning racer Georgee...........................3laps/Anti.......82kg......57.17.....May............Sportive/Club
    RedGreenBaron.....................3laps/anti.......70kg......57:30.....May............
    akp...............................3laps/anti.......76kg......57.40.....May...........
    Onehipwonder......................3laps/Anti.......82kg......58:12.....May............Club/sportive
    Guinea............................3laps/anti.......84kg......58:23.....May..........
    JL................................3 laps/anti......75kg......58:30.....May..........
    KingstonGraham....................3laps/anti.......76kg......58:30.....July..........
    toontra...........................3laps/Anti.......71kg......58.41.....May............
    Shane p...........................3laps/anti.......64Kg......58:45.....Feb............
    Ramekin...........................1xAnti+2xClock...76kg......58:47.....July............Fitness
    Dave_c............................3 laps / anti....64kg......59:08.....July......
    Statts............................3laps/Anti.......72kg......59.15.....May............Sportive / fit
    Tacker............................3laps/anti.......83kg......59.20.... June......... Sportive / lonely!
    Alan Sherman......................3 laps/clock.... 82kg......59:21.....May...........3rd cat RR
    Nasz............................. 3 laps/Anti......78kg......59.37.....June
    Neil Denning .....................3 laps/anti......60kg......59:40.....Jun............Sportives
    bikecarbike.......................3 laps/anti......95kg......59:43.....Jan............ Vet
    Christopher L.....................3 laps/anti......90kg......59.50.....May...........Sportives
    Billios.............................3 laps/anti........73kg.......59:56.....July..........
    ink169............................3 laps/anti......77kg......60.04.....May............ WW
    Pink Steel........................3 laps/anti......80kg......60.25.....June...........
    daveys............................3laps/anti.......75kg......60.49.....May............
    fishnchips........................3laps/anti.......68kg......61:01.....June............
    Rookie............................3laps/anti.......95kg......61:46.....May...........
    London-Red.............. .........3laps/anti.......84kg......61:56.....July............
    KMahony ........... ....... ......3laps/Anti.......95kg......63:05.....Apr............
    biondino...........................3laps/anti....... 78kg......63.36.....July............
    Les shaw..........................3laps/Anti.......66kg......63:47.....Apr............
    Gussio............................3laps/Anti.......87kg......63:48.....Apr............
    The Emu....................... ...3laps/Anti.......88kg......63.58.....May............
    Christ-on-a-bike!.................3laps/Anti.......78kg......64:30.....Feb............
    RichA.............................3laps/anti.......95kg......64.47.....May............Sportives
    Hobbes............................3laps/anti.......95kg......66.00.....Mar............
    Sfelt.............................2Cl/1Anti........93........66.05.....June.........FBHH:-)
    Expatbore.........................3laps/anti.......85kg......66.35.....May............
    urrrrrrrrrs.......................3laps/anti.......105kg.....66.55.....May............
    felgen............................3 laps/anti......106kg.....66.59.....July.............jester
    caw35slr..........................3laps/anti.......100kg.....67.15.....May..........fat cyclist
    Greenbank.........................3laps/anti........79kg.....69:08.....May............
    Rich-Ti...........................3laps/anti........93kg.....70:46.....June.........First timer
    Russell Smith.....................3laps/anti........92kg.....70:56.....July..........slower than Andy Sullivan
    Silverfox 72......................3laps/anti........80kg.....71:54.....May............
    Wackyjack...................... 3 laps/Anti.........92kg.....72.33.....May............
    Snakehips........................3laps/anti.........77kg......74.10......May............ fitness
  • wildmoustache
    wildmoustache Posts: 4,010
    16.31 last night (5 -6 years ago before the 20mph speed limit came in)

standard road bike and wheels.

hang on ... that was only for one lap. 3 laps at TT pace is just too daunting for me. I did it last year and I think got about 51mins. stronger this year so possibly might be able to get towards 50mins.

need to see if I can do sub 16 on the TT bike (or rather, check to see if I did it before the speed restrictions)
  • "Yup, the path round the outside is something like 7.4 miles? I used to do it out of choice on my near-slick road bike, it was fun, and one puncture in hundreds of laps ain't bad"

Biondino 21.12 miles is correct
  • Assuming starting on the path just inside Richmond gate I'll guess closer to 12k than 8mi, ie I'll use 7.5mi. So the challenge is on - cycle down (I'm 4+mi away), lock up and try to beat 50mins.
    Presumably you have to be careful not to exceed the speed limit on the downhills........[/quote]

Yes most likely. I just do 2/3 ratio but i realise that is pretty innaccurate. 1665m or something like that isn't it. Anyway good luck. I'm back on running this week, but no PBs I'm doing it every morning at 5:30 as I have to go and work afterward and only get back at 9pm which is too late. Reckon I'll go for the 45 minutes at the end of the holidays. I am working atm so my training is not as good, once I've gotten going, the sub 50 3 laps is on, and the 45 minute run. It's going to be tough. Frankly not sure distance is a big issue. I'm pretty certain if I can run a marathon distance around richmond park I'll be able to do it on a flat road lol. So far just done the 2 laps. in under 1 hour 50 minutes. So nothing spectacular, I'm just not used to running, and I'm a little porky to be honest. Hopefully I'll knock that down quite a bit. First lap felt brilliant. 2nd I got 1/4 way round and thought what the bloody hell am I doing, but then I thought, I'm going to kick myself if I don't continue, as frankly I would have run 1 1/2 laps and so might as well run 2 hehe. Anyway. Happy training. I'm beginning to see how tough it must be for you guys to train. I am working in London atm and I leave home at half 7 and get back at 9. Not fun getting up at 5.30am lol.
  • Assuming starting on the path just inside Richmond gate I'll guess closer to 12k than 8mi, ie I'll use 7.5mi. So the challenge is on - cycle down (I'm 4+mi away), lock up and try to beat 50mins.
    Presumably you have to be careful not to exceed the speed limit on the downhills........[/quote]

Yes most likely. I just do 2/3 ratio but i realise that is pretty innaccurate. 1665m or something like that isn't it. Anyway good luck. I'm back on running this week, but no PBs I'm doing it every morning at 5:30 as I have to go and work afterward and only get back at 9pm which is too late. Reckon I'll go for the 45 minutes at the end of the holidays. I am working atm so my training is not as good, once I've gotten going, the sub 50 3 laps is on, and the 45 minute run. It's going to be tough. Frankly not sure distance is a big issue. I'm pretty certain if I can run a marathon distance around richmond park I'll be able to do it on a flat road lol. So far just done the 2 laps. in under 1 hour 50 minutes. So nothing spectacular, I'm just not used to running, and I'm a little porky to be honest. Hopefully I'll knock that down quite a bit. First lap felt brilliant. 2nd I got 1/4 way round and thought what the bloody hell am I doing, but then I thought, I'm going to kick myself if I don't continue, as frankly I would have run 1 1/2 laps and so might as well run 2 hehe. Anyway. Happy training. I'm beginning to see how tough it must be for you guys to train. I am working in London atm and I leave home at half 7 and get back at 9. Not fun getting up at 5.30am lol.

• Phew - it was wet out there this evening. Have put in a (W) a la Top Gear...
    AndrewBye.................. ...3laps/anti........74kg.......48:45......Apr..........Elite RR
    Superlightweight...............3laps/anti........81kg.......49:25......May.........2catRR / TTer.
    KingstonWheeler..............3laps/anti........68kg.......51:59......Apr...........3CatRR
    mark_d..............................3 laps/anti.......60kg.......52:10.....May............3CatRR
    naked_ollie........................3 laps/anti.......75kg.......52:44.....May............
    seabadger........................3 laps/anti.......78kg.......52:51......May...........
    Mookie..............................3 laps/clock....65kg.......52:58......Apr............
    Toks..................................3laps/Anti.......72kg.......53.47.....May............3 CatRR
    AmateurDC.....................3laps/Anti........85kg.......53.48......July............None
    MatHammond..................3laps/Anti.......85kg.......53.50......May............
    Grazer....................... ......3 laps/anti.......78kg.......54.00......May............ Tri/Sportive
    Matthew.t.........................3laps/Anti.......71kg.......54.12......May...........
    BrianMc............................3 laps/anti.......76kg.......54:29......Apr............
    CJ.....................................3laps/anti........79kg.......54:33......May............
    Merrick.............................3 laps/anti.......72kg.......55.00......May...........
    Damo..............................3laps/Anti.......lightkg...55.10.....May............4thCatRR
    JonGinge .........................3laps/anti.......67Kg......55:25.....May............ Club
    Molman............................3laps/Anti.......87kg......55.31.....May............
    Tin man...........................3 laps/Anti......68kg......55:41.....May............Sportive/Tri
    rolo tumazi.......................3laps/anti.......75kg......55:41.....May............
    francist..........................3 laps/Anti......71kg......56:03.....July...........
    Gradiric..........................3laps/Anti.......75kg......56.40.....May............
    Bush75............................3laps/Anti.......75kg......57.01.....May............
    POD...............................3laps/anti.......83Kg......57:08.....July......... Returning racer Georgee...........................3laps/Anti.......82kg......57.17.....May............Sportive/Club
    RedGreenBaron.....................3laps/anti.......70kg......57:30.....May............
    akp...............................3laps/anti.......76kg......57.40.....May...........
    Onehipwonder......................3laps/Anti.......82kg......58:12.....May............Club/sportive
    Guinea............................3laps/anti.......84kg......58:23.....May..........
    JL................................3 laps/anti......75kg......58:30.....May..........
    KingstonGraham....................3laps/anti.......76kg......58:30.....July..........
    toontra...........................3laps/Anti.......71kg......58.41.....May............
    Shane p...........................3laps/anti.......64Kg......58:45.....Feb............
    Ramekin...........................1xAnti+2xClock...76kg......58:47.....July............Fitness
    Dave_c............................3 laps / anti....64kg......59:08.....July......
    Statts............................3laps/Anti.......72kg......59.15.....May............Sportive / fit
    Tacker............................3laps/anti.......83kg......59.20.... June......... Sportive / lonely!
    Alan Sherman......................3 laps/clock.... 82kg......59:21.....May...........3rd cat RR
    Neil Denning .....................3 laps/anti......60kg......59:40.....Jun............Sportives
    bikecarbike.......................3 laps/anti......95kg......59:43.....Jan............ Vet
    Christopher L.....................3 laps/anti......90kg......59.50.....May...........Sportives
    Billios.............................3 laps/anti........73kg.......59:56.....July..........
    ink169............................3 laps/anti......77kg......60.04.....May............ WW
    Pink Steel........................3 laps/anti......80kg......60.25.....June...........
    daveys............................3laps/anti.......75kg......60.49.....May............
    fishnchips........................3laps/anti.......68kg......61:01.....June............
    Rookie............................3laps/anti.......95kg......61:46.....May...........
    London-Red.............. .........3laps/anti.......84kg......61:56.....July............
    KMahony ........... ....... ......3laps/Anti.......95kg......63:05.....Apr............
    biondino...........................3laps/anti....... 78kg......63.36.....July............
    Les shaw..........................3laps/Anti.......66kg......63:47.....Apr............
    Gussio............................3laps/Anti.......87kg......63:48.....Apr............
    The Emu....................... ...3laps/Anti.......88kg......63.58.....May............
    Christ-on-a-bike!.................3laps/Anti.......78kg......64:30.....Feb............
    RichA.............................3laps/anti.......95kg......64.47.....May............Sportives
    Expatbore.......................3laps/anti.......83kg.......65.19.....July........(w)!
    Hobbes............................3laps/anti.......95kg......66.00.....Mar............
    Sfelt.............................2Cl/1Anti........93........66.05.....June.........FBHH:-)
    urrrrrrrrrs.......................3laps/anti.......105kg.....66.55.....May............
    felgen............................3 laps/anti......106kg.....66.59.....July.............jester
    caw35slr..........................3laps/anti.......100kg.....67.15.....May..........fat cyclist
    Greenbank.........................3laps/anti........79kg.....69:08.....May............
    Rich-Ti...........................3laps/anti........93kg.....70:46.....June.........First timer
    Russell Smith.....................3laps/anti........92kg.....70:56.....July..........slower than Andy Sullivan
    Silverfox 72......................3laps/anti........80kg.....71:54.....May............
    Wackyjack...................... 3 laps/Anti.........92kg.....72.33.....May............
    Snakehips........................3laps/anti.........77kg......74.10......May............ fitness
  • expatbore wrote:
    Phew - it was wet out there this evening. Have put in a (W) a la Top Gear...

Damn straight! I decided to run instead, running in rain is in fact kind of nice. Cycling, well I am just not comfortable on my bike in the wet. If you got a PB well done its tough to push for that extra bit in the wet. Especially on the downhill.
  • felgen
    felgen Posts: 829
    Was going to have a pop yesterday but the wind was terrible. I managed 21 mins something for the first lap, and thought it wasnt worth continuing... oh well
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    2)Nelson Pista Singlespeed
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • morxy
    morxy Posts: 114
    First lap felt a bit sluggish but was battle hardened and well into my rhythm when I began the 2nd. Slightly unpleasant headwind along Sawyers Hill (as usual). Tried to stay low and aero. Rider weight: 58kg; bike weight: 7.5kg.

morxy.........................3 laps/Anti........58kg.......56:10......Aug..........Club
    Expatbore.......................3laps/anti.......83kg.......65.19.....July........(w)!
  • Nice time MORXY. Sincerely hoping not to see you on the Real Man challenge!
  • Ramekin
    Ramekin Posts: 30
    Good going Morxy!

Any thoughts on the best time in the evening to do laps? Am wondering when the traffic tends to die down...
  • morxy
    morxy Posts: 114
    Cheers. I tend to go early in the mornings. Apparently you can still enter the park after the gates have closed though, by squeezing through the pedestrian entrances. Obviously there will be no cars... so nothing to hold you up. Watch out for the deer though. They tend to roam around more when the cars are gone!

I've found the park a touch quieter recently. Maybe everyone's on holiday.

One other thing... do you know if you're you a morning person or an afternoon/evening person? Some ppl have found they perform a touch better in the mornings or vice versa, which can help shave a few seconds off your time... if it's the right time of day for you.
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Yeah, you can ride all night if you want to but I would strongly recommend you don't try and go quickly as the deer are genuinely a massive concern. The one time I've done so, when I was travelling relatively slowly and carefully, in less than half a lap I had deer run out in front of me FOUR times. So be careful out there and make sure you have a genuinely effective, non-blinky front light.
  • Rich-Ti
    Rich-Ti Posts: 1,831
    Managed somewhere around the 63min mark last night - won't post it up as my GPS died so I don't know exactly what it was. All I know is that it was 19:02 when I went over the speed hump at the car park past Richmond Gate and 3 laps later it was 20:05 :roll:

An approx. 7min improvement over my last time which moves me up somewhere between 9 and 14 places, but I'll have to do it again and post a proper time! :twisted:

The sub-60 can't be far off now! :P
  • Shavedlegs
    Shavedlegs Posts: 310
    Made it out today, back to the day job soon so grabbed my chance. Due to the bearings being a little loose on my rear hub I took out my training bike. Not a great time, but a good work out.
    The wind and rain didn't help much. Riding a fixed 53x14 round the park raises eyebrows, the child seat gets the laughs.

When/if I beat Guinea's time on my fixed with childseat, I'll resort back to my race bike to challenge Andy Bye's time.

Guinea, let me know when you are going next and I'll try and meet you.

morxy.........................3 laps/Anti........58kg.......56:10......Aug..........Club
    Shavedlegs......................3 laps/anti......71kg......61.44.....Aug.........2nd Cat RR

Anyone going to the park tomorrow? I think I can get there during the day. Always nice to share a recovery drink with someone.
  • damo_d_b
    damo_d_b Posts: 18
    Hi Alex,

I saw you this morning gliding over Blackfriars bridge, resplendent in your Shaved Legs kit.

And I promise I didn't laugh at the child seat.

Would be great to join you for a few laps of RP sometime, maybe next weekend?

Damien
  • Shavedlegs
    Thanks Damien,

I'd convinced my wife to try cycling to work, she works near The Cut. She did okay. The next step is getting her into the Shavedlegs Kit, it will look better on her believe me.

I can't make it next weekend as it is my daughters birthday, should be on for the weekend after though.

Alex
  • :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

when do you guys do these rides?!

if in amongst the cars doing the 20mph speed limit then i seriously doubt 48mins is possible or SAFE, more to the point.

tell me these personal timetrials are done at the crack of dawn when there's no cars on the road?

the other thing that makes this 'race' a bit invalid is that, on the very odd occasion, when the police aren't out with their speed guns, you can't help but sit behind cars at 30mph most of the way.
  • Toks
    Toks Posts: 1,143
    :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

if in amongst the cars doing the 20mph speed limit then i seriously doubt 48mins is possible or SAFE, more to the point.

tell me these personal timetrials are done at the crack of dawn when there's no cars on the road?

the other thing that makes this 'race' a bit invalid is that, on the very odd occasion, when the police aren't out with their speed guns, you can't help but sit behind cars at 30mph most of the way.
    Er... dude i think you're taking things a little too seriously. Peeps ride the park at various times in whatever conditions. If someone has drafted off a vehicle and posted the time who cares.

At the end of the day everyone knows "The RP 3 Lap Challenge" is a bit of motivational fun. Nobody should take any risks and its are not an officially timed TT's so the only person the time should matter to is yourselfr. Re the 48minute effort, Andrew is an Elite Road Racer who can put out seroius threshold power so its not a time I would doubt. You sound like a bit of a hater, whats up? :?
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Hugo -

Andy Bye came 16th in the National Road Race champs this year and was at one stage this season (not sure what his present ranking is) ranked 7th in the UK I think. Rest assured, the time is genuine; the lad goes like a train.

Also, why would riding three laps in 48 mins be unsafe? To ride at Andy's level, you have to be a very good bike handler.

If you fancy a crack, the best time to go, is early morning or in the evening on a weekend, when there's less or very little traffic and obviously when it's dry.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • wildmoustache
    yeah... I'm not an elite by any means... a struggling etape silver medalist hack rider.

i put out 16m 31s. in my last single lap. i have no doubt andrew /a strong elite rider could post 48 mins or faster on a road bike. On a TT bike i'd reckon you'd be looking at 46
  • Shavedlegs
    Blimey, It's just forfun.

Surely no one is 'cheating'. This thread is a motivational aid to improving our individual times not a competition.

Each ride is under different circumstances, traffic, weather, the wildlife, so it doesn't hold water as a competition. I don't mind if someone has a rolling start, cuts a corner or gets a draft from a car if they can't help it. Andy, I suspect could faster this time of year.

As for safety. It's a darn site safer than my commute which I do at similar speeds, and most official TT's happen on open roads with bigger roundabouts to negoiate, at these events a second is vital and the result matters.

I think even a very average rider can handle a bike safely at these speeds round the park, it's producing the speed which is difficult.

Lets have fun.
  • Lozgriff
    Lozgriff Posts: 19
    Hi,
    Just completed the 3-lap challenge for the 1st time this morning.
    63:15, (18.6mph average) anti clockwise
    Any tips for breaking under the hour?

Shavedlegs......................3 laps/anti......71kg......61.44.....Aug.........2nd Cat RR
    Laurie G.................... .......3laps/anti.........85kg.....63:15.....Aug...........Tri Training
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Welcome Laurie. It's just a bit of fun but...

1) try again in a few days after you've recovered from the effort
    2) choose a less windy day (if today was as windy as yesterday)
    3) cheat and do some training ;)

For point 3 check out the 2x20 thread from the training forum:
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12555444&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=2x20&start=0

Note to self: must do more 2x20s
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • snakehips
    snakehips Posts: 2,272
    At last , off the bottom , and so tantalisingly close to the 70 min mark.

Laurie G.................... .......3laps/anti.........85kg.....63:15.....Aug...........Tri Training
    Snakehips........................3laps/anti.........75kg......70.10......Aug............ fitness

Snake
    'Follow Me' the wise man said, but he walked behind!
  • I just want to thanks the guys who got this going. Having stumbled across the RP challenge, its given me something fun to aim for. Not being particularly fast - and never having done any biking 'against the clock', I was pleased to do a lap in 18:30, then really chuffed to do a 17:15 a week later. That's just a single lap, though, so i suspect no great shakes

All I have to do now is string 3 of these together without my lungs coming out of my mouth...Hmm. This is going to hurt, isn't it?

And message to Hugo - I tend to my laps 6-7am or end of day..its quiet, safe and the park is beautiful (if you go slow enough, like me, to enjoy looking around!). Can recommend it.
  • wildmoustache
    I just want to thanks the guys who got this going. Having stumbled across the RP challenge, its given me something fun to aim for. Not being particularly fast - and never having done any biking 'against the clock', I was pleased to do a lap in 18:30, then really chuffed to do a 17:15 a week later. That's just a single lap, though, so i suspect no great shakes

All I have to do now is string 3 of these together without my lungs coming out of my mouth...Hmm. This is going to hurt, isn't it?

And message to Hugo - I tend to my laps 6-7am or end of day..its quiet, safe and the park is beautiful (if you go slow enough, like me, to enjoy looking around!). Can recommend it.

17:15 is not bad at all.

Note how important wind is for lap time. I reckon in can make a minute difference to the time. A light easterly is your puppy for a quick time.
  • shane p
    shane p Posts: 5
    Third attempt at the challenge and took another 2 minutes off from my last go to get a 54.12

Shane p...........................3laps/anti.......64Kg......54:12.....Aug............3CatRR
    Snakehips........................3laps/anti.........75kg......70.10......Aug............ fitness
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    right have completed the triathlon (which was a brilliant experience) and will now focus on reducing my 3 lap time. hopefully the conditions will be good next week though i wont hold my breath...

im looking for some advice - im thinking of buying a turbo trainer for the winter and was wondering if anyone has any recommendations? would you buy second hand off somewhere like ebay? probably looking to spend a max of £150.