2008 targets.

2»

Comments

• Sue Wass
    Sue Wass Posts: 29
    my main target this year has not a lot to do with cycles - it is on two wheels, but with an engine!
    Hubby and I are both 50 this year :shock: so to celebrate we've entered a five day enduro (off road motorcycle race across difficult terain) in Spain :oops: :oops: :oops:

to be able to do this I need to be uber-fit, :lol:

today I did 13 miles on my new road race bike, it took me 55 minutes, with an average heart rate of 150.

Long way to go yet!
  • My tagets are 1. Obtain Randonee 1000. 2.Ride more with club. 3.Get wife to do Lejog with me (but it may take a little time convincing her that it is a good idea!).
  • nickcuk
    nickcuk Posts: 275
    Just booked for a week in Ireland at the end of May and will try the Ring of Kerry in a day. 140 miles plus the side roads from Portmagee onto the ring. Expecting daft traffic and poor road surfaces but mostly will be worried about all the lovely pubs that I will pass and views that I won't stop to photograph.

Found surprisingly little info on here (or elsewhere) about cycling the ring.
  • mathi
    mathi Posts: 110
    My goal 6hr 30 mins or less at the Fred Whitton this year
  • AmateurDC
    AmateurDC Posts: 26
    I think if you are under 24 you are not near your peak yet so be ambitious. I'm trying to regain fitness to go back to rowing. I'm doing the richmond park 3 laps in under an hour type thing. I'm 8kg overweight. I tried last week, and struggled to get two under 20 and basically ended up going home. Today I got sub 60 minutes, I want sub 50 minutes in a months time. And I think even if I don't acquire that time, I should get sub 54 which is fairly decent considering I have useless muscle and fat mass in my upper body. No pain No gain.
  • Jon8a
    Jon8a Posts: 235
    Ride a century (imperial).
    Join/Ride with a club.
  • Bit late in the year (and already done one of my goals :D ) but here they are:

Do the Tour of Flanders 140km sportive DONE
    Do a stage of the Tour of Wessex Sportive
    Cycle up Mont Ventoux in June in under ??? (to be decided - last time it took me three hours but I am looking for a dramatically lower time this time around)
    Complete at least one 100km ride a month ON TRACK

Apart from the 100km a month goal, the others take me through to June. I am looking for further goals for the rest of the season - any ideas?

Stephen
  • billybiker
    billybiker Posts: 272
    billybiker wrote:
    I've been out of training for a little over 3 years, apparently I've had Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, but I'm now feeling a lot better but need to gradually get back into the cycling game. I'd like a bit of help with my 2008 goals as I'm keen to get back up to my previous standard but don't want to do too much too soon. I'm 52, 94Kgs, and so far I've been doing 3 rides a week for the last 3 months. I can no longer keep up with the club boys but would like to do some 10 mile TTs this year.

My first goal therefore, is to get my weight down to a sensible level, and I've already shed 8.5 Kgs but how do I know when I'm at my correct weight? I'm 6' and used to hover about 90kgs but this is probably a bit too much. I have some of those fancy scales and my %fat is 19%, is this a better guide? Should I aim for say 16% which is about mid way between the quoted 11-22%?

My best TT times were about 26mins for a 10 and just over the hour for a 25. Given that my best rides out at the moment are at about 15mph, what would a sensible target be??

I guess the only way to find out will be to try and see but any ideas gratefully accepted!!

Cheers

Bill

After some thought this years goals are,

1. Do a sub 27 minute 10
    2. Reduce weight to 85 Kgs (almost there, lost 15kgs :shock: what a differance) :!:
    3. Do 150 miles in one day, Cleathorpes and back!
    4. Finish the year in all round good state to build for a record breaking 2009.
  • Carbon_
    Carbon_ Posts: 5
    #1 Drop to 67kgs (76atm)
    #2 Top 10 at Schools Nationals
    #3 Do Lake Taupo in under 5hrs (160kms last year did 6hr 05 with no rides over 50kms in the build up)
  • donrhummy
    donrhummy Posts: 2,329
    1. Complete a century with 12,000 ft climbing (has 10 climbs of ~6.5% and around 3 miles each)
    2. Ride 50 miles at 19+ mph
    3. Average 600+ miles a month (I wish I had time to do 200+ per week)
    4. Do a 2-day, 240 mile ride (110 miles day 1, 130 day 2)
  • beatsystem
    beatsystem Posts: 118
    complete the vtta bar distances
    beat 1hour 4mins for 25
    25 min 10

use this year to get fit so next year I can get back to what it use to be like!!
    good luck to everyone else and their goals
  • Jamey
    Jamey Posts: 2,152
    1. Lose a few stone
    2. Complete London-to-Brighton in under (hopefully well under) four hours and without having to get off and push for Ditchling Beacon.
    3. Do a 100-mile ride.
  • JC.152
    JC.152 Posts: 645
    1. Try and break the hour in a 25(fair way to go still)
    2. Do well in road races
    3. Get more top 3s in races than my brother (already losing 3-0)
  • bonk man
    bonk man Posts: 1,054
    Just be quicker than last year... 10 mile tt [club event with a hill in it] 25.50, not a lot to ask is it.??.. it is with this bloody weather blowing in our faces and the cold rain running down our necks :( so far I have managed 26.03 so must try a bit harder..
    I am well on the way to retaining the club fixed wheel competition again though, so at least one trophy for the wife to polish every week :lol:
    Club rides are for sheep
  • jambosm6
    jambosm6 Posts: 14
    My only aim is to do a 100 mile ride without dying. And be able to continue doing so in order to do the London to Brighton next year and cycle back.

Oh and I could join a club I suppose.
  • ftt
    ftt Posts: 133
    After being hit by a truck last June and off work for 4 mths and off the the bike for a year I will be happy to :-

1 ride my bike for 1 hour by the end of the year

2 Smile when ever I'm riding my bike in the rain

3 Buy a bling bike with the compensation when it gets here. yeah
  • Since my bike was stolen at the beginning of the year and i have not been able to afford a replacement untill now.
    So my 2009 target is.
    Get my replacment
    Get back to 75kg from 82kg.
    25min 10mile.
    Alp D'huez.
    (Although by that time work will have force at least 14 weeks away from the roads and onto a spinning machine. So this may be a bit un-realistic)
  • billybiker
    billybiker Posts: 272
    billybiker wrote:
    I've been out of training for a little over 3 years, apparently I've had Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, but I'm now feeling a lot better but need to gradually get back into the cycling game. I'd like a bit of help with my 2008 goals as I'm keen to get back up to my previous standard but don't want to do too much too soon. I'm 52, 94Kgs, and so far I've been doing 3 rides a week for the last 3 months. I can no longer keep up with the club boys but would like to do some 10 mile TTs this year.

My first goal therefore, is to get my weight down to a sensible level, and I've already shed 8.5 Kgs but how do I know when I'm at my correct weight? I'm 6' and used to hover about 90kgs but this is probably a bit too much. I have some of those fancy scales and my %fat is 19%, is this a better guide? Should I aim for say 16% which is about mid way between the quoted 11-22%?

My best TT times were about 26mins for a 10 and just over the hour for a 25. Given that my best rides out at the moment are at about 15mph, what would a sensible target be??

I guess the only way to find out will be to try and see but any ideas gratefully accepted!!

Cheers

Bill

WOW! What a year, down 20Kgs and done a 26 minute 10. Its amazing what a bit of effort can do and how much better you feel when down to a sensible weight. Will have to decide on some realistic 2009 targets.
  • 2009?
    1. Race
    2. Win
    3. Get onto protour
    4. Win TDF
    5. Rule World.
    6. Open bike shop

All on my down tube levered ,lead alloy, super air resistant SPEED MACHINE.
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    Sheptastic wrote:
    2009?
    1. Race
    2. Win
    3. Get onto protour
    4. Win TDF
    5. Rule World.
    6. Open bike shop

All on my down tube levered ,lead alloy, super air resistant SPEED MACHINE.
    Sorry, but you're going to be disappointed. The Protour isn't running in '09.

Good luck with the rest though.
  • 2009:
    sub 75kg
    10,000km for the year
    Sub 22 for a ten, sub 55 for a 25
    Complete Pain in the Pennines without being crippled with back pain for 2 days afterwards
    Drink more beer
    Do more coaching

Get down to and stay below 13 1/2 Stone
    ride at least three times a week
    be able to do a 100km ride without crying/dying
    See my son complete the 50KM rye ride! :D
  • Would like to get to grips with some form of winter training (this whole work/study thing is getting in the way of my cycling) before I consider what I want to do next season
  • I know the year is getting on, but before I joined this site at the beginning of the year I set a target of 4,000 miles for the year so thats it....
    Jamis Xenith Endura Sport 2012
    Boardman Race 2013
    Genesis Equilibrium 2014 (Built myself)
    Boardman Comp MTB 2016
  • my meagre goals for 2009:
    - decrease time to ascent a local hill (over 20% incline) by 10%.
    - at least 450h training hours a year (around 10.000-11.000km, I guess, as some of these hours are crosstraining). I haven't been training with any precised plan before, but I supose I'm capable of doing that amount, as recent years on MTB I was doing ~7.000-8.000km
    - break 1:30h in 50km TT
    - increase avg watts in power test by 10%
    - feel comfortable at 130rpm
    - buy a scale ;d and drop below 50kg (last year was 45kg, now around 56-58 I guess)
    - some personal goals for 12 races (including Tour of Wessex if I will feel strong enough for stage race by May)
  • 2009:

Marmotte sub 8 hours
    Finish season as 2nd Cat rider
    Sub 23:00 10 mile TT
    Sub 55 25 mile TT
    Learn how to completely strip my bike down entirely myself (and rebuild it correctly without screwing something up)
    Get down to 80kgs (down 6 kgs)