Whats the furthest you've rode?

Comments

• beckenham
    beckenham Posts: 242
    Quite fancy the London-Edinburgh-London :shock: It's in 2009 so I've got a bit of time to prepare
    Beer, the reason my ambitions have not become my achievements
  • APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010
    120 miles is my best to date.
  • stu99
    stu99 Posts: 177
    160 miles (and 10,000 feet of climbing)! on this North American epic

http://www.redmondcyclingclub.org/RAMROD/index.html
  • i did 320 miles with a clubmate a couple of years ago. we went through the lakes to scotland (gretna) and back ,only stopping for food and a few drinks.it took us about a day and a half.
    longest completely non stop was 150 miles when i tried out a new route for our local ctc section for one of our standard rides.
    i'd do the 150 again solo but can't find anyone mad enough for the 320 again as the clubmate i did it with emigrated.
  • guv001
    guv001 Posts: 688
    120 miles Dragon Ride 2007 and 117 miles British Cyclosportive both were much easier than the 84 miles I did at the Forest of Dean Classic 2007, so Nolf I couldn't agree more.
  • beckenham wrote:
    Quite fancy the London-Edinburgh-London :shock: It's in 2009 so I've got a bit of time to prepare

4 and one half days with The Great British Motorist is too much to endure. If I do ride another ultra-distance it will be overseas. And how I prepare for it without riding AUK events is anyones guess......
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    I have done a few rides and sportives over and at the 100 mile mark but I did the 2007 Fred Whitton Challenge and did 116 miles and ,most of them were hard miles. Makes me wonder as over a decade ago I was heading to 'couch potata heaven with my playstation'.

For 2008 I am going for a legbreaking 142miles in the Dave Lloyd Mega Challenge. :(
    Brian B.
  • Best to date is 69.9 miles - currently all of my rides are solo so I will hopefully get a few century rides in during a week riding with a group in Majorca in the spring
  • bahzob
    bahzob Posts: 2,195
    To date its 240k but have entered LEL 2009 so bit of a step up planned next year..
    Martin S. Newbury RC
  • richk
    richk Posts: 564
    Did a 56 mile club run in December - expect that will be bettered at some point though I don't have any significant plans to do greater distances purely for the sake of it.
    There is no secret ingredient...
  • andrew_s
    andrew_s Posts: 2,511
    Best is about 325 miles for the first day of PBP '95. I stopped for 6 hours sleep then, so in this context I'll count the rest as a separate rides.
  • Ashley_R
    Ashley_R Posts: 408
    andrew_s wrote:
    Best is about 325 miles for the first day of PBP '95. I stopped for 6 hours sleep then, so in this context I'll count the rest as a separate rides.

Was quite imoressed with my own PB of 112 miles, but feel a bit its a poor effort compared to that!

How many hours riding was that then Andrew, don't think I could stay awke long enough or eat enough to keep me going!! :lol:
    You can lead an elephant to water but a pencil must be lead
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    76.8 miles. Everett, WA to Seattle, WA. and back. 'Couple trips around Greenlake thrown in to break the boredom.
  • ram038
    ram038 Posts: 187
    beckenham wrote:

4 and one half days with The Great British Motorist is too much to endure. If I do ride another ultra-distance it will be overseas. And how I prepare for it without riding AUK events is anyones guess......

Where can I get information on the London-Edinburgh-London run
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    63 miles
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    My longest ride to date was 72 miles back in early September. It was a hot and sunny day and it was a very hilly ride in the Yorkshire Dales. It took me a long time as I only managed an average speed of 9.7 mph which is very slow I know, but for me it was a very satisfying and enjoyable ride.
  • sub55
    sub55 Posts: 1,025
    462 miles in the 24h National Championship :)
    constantly reavalueating the situation and altering the perceived parameters accordingly
  • ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    sub55 wrote:

Wow - I reckon that works out at over 19 mph over 24 hours - but it would be an even higher average as I assume as you rested at some point for a few hours in the 24. You must be super-fit as I would doubt many fit cyclists would be able to get anywhere near that.
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,712
    70 miles, which wasn't all that hard. My aim is to do 150 miles this year.
  • ricadus
    ricadus Posts: 2,379
    In one go? Greenwich to Weston-super-Mare. I've never bothered to plot the distance, but it weaved about a bit to avoid busy roads between Dorking and Basingstoke, as well as take in some nice scenery through the Vale of Pewsey to Bath and the sustrans bike path to Bristol.

Having missed Dunwich Dynamo – again –I felt like doing an overnight ride on the night of Perseids meteor shower last August and did indeed see quite a number of shooting stars before 4 a.m.

I planned just to ride to Bristol, but after a breakfast coffee stop in Bath I felt inspired keeping going and went on from Bristol over the Mendip hills and down Cheddar Gorge, a tasty pint in Axbridge then onwards skirting the north edge of the Somerset levels to the tacky seaside of W-S-M.

Copped out and caught a train back :wink: though I rode the last bit from Paddington to Greenwich.
  • geoff_ss
    geoff_ss Posts: 1,201
    sub55 wrote:

That's a very good ride. I've fed a couple of times at the 24hr champs and I still maintain that's even harder than riding :lol: Especially if your rider's on a trike as you need a long stretch to avoid being run over.

Very good friend of mine won it in 1991 but can't remember his distance - 480 plus IIRC. He was my hero, then spoilt it by packing the following year :)

Geoff
    Old cyclists never die; they just fit smaller chainrings ... and pedal faster
  • andrew_s
    Ashley_R wrote:
    andrew_s wrote:
    Was quite imoressed with my own PB of 112 miles, but feel a bit its a poor effort compared to that!

How many hours riding was that then Andrew, don't think I could stay awke long enough or eat enough to keep me going!! :lol:
    Start Paris 10pm, arrive Carhaix just before 10pm.
    5 controls, 5 large plates of pasta with rice pud to follow, about 5 hours at the controls, so 19h riding time for 17mph moving average.
  • andrew_s
    ram038 wrote:
    Where can I get information on the London-Edinburgh-London run

http://www.londonedinburghlondon.co.uk/
  • 136 miles back in early November. I decided to spend a day biking down to my girlfriend's parents' house rather than go in the car in order to avoid the hassle of preparing for their bonfire party!

Took exactly 7.5 hours, and I only put my foot down once at a junction! I've got serious respect for the 200+ miles per day audaxing mob after that though - I was proper knackered (would do it again though).
  • TomF
    TomF Posts: 494
    I'd like to have a go at the full Paris-Roubaix this year.

I'm planning on doing the middle version (c180km, I believe) - there's no way I could get fit enough between now and then to manage the full distance. So, I look forward to being overtaken by you as I fight through the pavé. Chapeau!

Oh, and longest for me is just over 200km. 2007 was my first year of road riding, but I still managed to do a few UK sportives (but not quite get through the Étape, haoving packed at the top of the Port du Bales).
  • should have done my first hundred last year but due to a wrong turn ended up at 92 miles but did that at 18.6 ave so this year should do a 100 in five and a half hours given similar conditions
  • sub55
    sub55 wrote:

Wow - I reckon that works out at over 19 mph over 24 hours - but it would be an even higher average as I assume as you rested at some point for a few hours in the 24. You must be super-fit as I would doubt many fit cyclists would be able to get anywhere near that.

not especially fit ,just a pyschopath, who enjoys doing the 24hr.
    i did`nt exactlly stop for a "few hours", more like 10 mins ,4 times. so did that milage in 23h20m, came away with a medal for my efforts. i`ve done longer rides in turns of time though.
    constantly reavalueating the situation and altering the perceived parameters accordingly
  • sub55
    Geoff_SS wrote:
    sub55 wrote:

That's a very good ride. I've fed a couple of times at the 24hr champs and I still maintain that's even harder than riding :lol: Especially if your rider's on a trike as you need a long stretch to avoid being run over.

Very good friend of mine won it in 1991 but can't remember his distance - 480 plus IIRC. He was my hero, then spoilt it by packing the following year :)

Geoff

in 91, that would have been a mr potts then, riding for derby mercury cc. he clocked 486 miles. respect to the gentleman. i will win this race one year. but i`ll have to do a 500
  • sub55
    in terms of time , the furthest i have ridden would be the brian chapman memorial last year. this is a 600k audax which goes from one of wales to the other and back again. took me 27 hours. no sleep at all and only stopped at control and to eat. by far the most differcult thing i`ve ever done on a bike. and i`ll be back again for more this year. must be pyschotic