Old Git On A Bike battles with the wind (2000 miles ridden)

Comments

• lesz42
    lesz42 Posts: 690
    hey!

did you get your new tyres? i am using the DF2 you have/had, and no problems yet, but i run them at 60 psi ( max is 65 psi)

i did 16 miles on monday ( at noon) but was too hot and humid to do much more, in that 16 miles i drank 2 lt of water, was rather surprised!

started to do some more hill work ( in nercwys forest) steady runs and very quiet!

and i am a bit sheepish on the roads but again get some miles on them, otherwise its canel paths and seafronts

keep it up!

regards

les
    Giant Trance X0 (08) Reverb, Hope Hoops 5.1D, XT brakes, RQ BC, Works Components headset 1.5
  • @ Bonyjoe, welcome to the forum mate, riding will help your breathlessness a lot, it certainly has for me anyway, I do still get breathless, but that's due to damaged lungs from smoking heavily and breathing stuff like asbestos dust in at work years ago, but on the whole, I can see an improvement, let us know when you get your bike and how you get on. As for a coast 2 coast ride, maybe next year I'll try something like that, it's still early days for me yet and I need to be a lot fitter than I currently am.

@ Lesz42, my new tyre and innertubes have not arrived yet, the Parcel Force tracking said they were in Belfast yesterday, and today they are at some hub, they might arrive tomorrow. I also run my Double Fighter II tyres at 60 PSI for the roads, they roll really well. Like you, I was a bit sheepish on roads when I started, but I'm now very confident, the more you ride the more confidence you get, own the road, don't let it own you :wink:

Yeah, it was very warm on Monday, my face is as red as a berry at the moment, it's forecast to be a scorcher on Thursday, around 28 degrees with light winds around here, think I'll just have a nice slow ride that day, keep those cranks turning matey!

I didn't get out for a second ride last night, about 30 minutes before I was to go out, the thunder, lightning and torrential rain started, the weather forcast said rain wasn't due until around 1:00am, wrong again :roll:. It was very windy today and my thighs were very sore from yesterday, so I left it until tonight when the wind has dropped a lot, it's actually nice riding weather at the moment, did my usual loop over to Coombe Beach, log for tonight

Jul 29th

Top speed 25.7 mph (cycle path hill)
    Avg speed = 13.9 mph
    Distance = 14.63 miles
    Time 01:03:06

Pulse before ride = 60 bpm's
    Pulse after ride = 92 bpm's 11:04pm
    Pulse 10 minutes later = 78 bpm's 11:14pm
    Pulse 20 minutes later = 72 bpm's 11:24pm
    Pulse 60 minutes later = 64 bpm's 12:04am

Total miles ridden = 1669.89
    ogoabdotinfoin5.jpg
  • lesz42
    this may help you!?

http://www.bikehike.co.uk

brill mapping! am using it now to sort my rides!
    Giant Trance X0 (08) Reverb, Hope Hoops 5.1D, XT brakes, RQ BC, Works Components headset 1.5
  • Stormy
    Stormy Posts: 18
    Hi Old Git

Been following your progress with interest, and you are without doubt an inspiration telling it just how it is, warts’n all. I’m in my mid 40’s and I’ve been back in the saddle since April, last time I rode a bike without an engine was probably back in the mid 70’s so it’s been a while. Anyway just wanted to add I’ve got a Mongoose Tyax Super and would recommend it, I’ve changed a few minor things making it more suitable for my needs, but by far the most effective change was ditching the stock tyres (I mostly do country lanes and compacted tracks around the new forest), major speed improvement on the road, and no punctures yet with narrow section tyres.

No other problems with anything else either, occasionally the brakes rub on the disc but a couple of hard stops cures this and the brakes will pull you up sharpish too, you can lock the forks from the bar they are however budget, drive chain, front & rear mechs, shifters, all work well. Control cables run along the top of the top tube so you can lift the bike easily, but it’s probably not the lightest bike in the world. However with narrow section road tyres you can keep up a pretty good pace, something I think you like to do? Changing the tyres/tubes back to off road is easy with Q/R wheels etc. I paid £379.00 for mine back in April (08 model) it’s not a hi spec bike but for the money I think it’s one of the best in its class.

Keep the post’s coming they make good reading!!
  • how/why has this post got so many entrys?? maybe im missing something but couldnt you just start a blog?

EDIT: nevermind you have a blog.
  • Hi Stormy, thanks for the added info on the Tyax, I'm also looking at the Scott Aspect 45 which has had some decent reviews, and there have been some good positive comments made about it on this forum.

When you say the Tyax is not the lightest bike in the world, do you happen to know the actual weight of it?

My new Continental Travel Contact tyre and 2 innertubes have just arrived 8), and as a bonus, there was also another free Continental innertube with the tyre that wasn't advertised on the Chain Reaction Cycles site. I am surprised by how hard and shiny the rubber on the tyre is, I suppose it will be alright once it has done a few miles and roughed up a bit.

[edit]

On closer inspection of the slick tread :?, I notice there is a hole in it, not a big hole, but almost certainly a weak point for something to go in to and give me a puncture, give me a couple of minutes and I'll take a photo of it.

[edit]

This is how it looks:

tyre006pc2.th.jpg

When I crimp the tyre, the depth of the hole is a lot clearer:

tyre004fu9.th.jpg

Hmmm, now I have to send it back :x
    ogoabdotinfoin5.jpg
  • dunker
    dunker Posts: 1,503
    yup cables on the top tube was a ticked box on mine too, great for shouldering the bike when needed. shame about the tyres, looks like someone blinked in the inspection line :( only thing i've had to return to crc was when they sent me shorts with a womens specific pad instead of a mens, and never published my scolding review of those shorts too.

congrats on doing 60+ miles that's epic! i must try harder to try and match it hehe :)
  • @ Dunker, I also like the fact the cables go along the top tube, I live on the 3rd floor and have to cart the bike up and down the stairs.

I'm pretty annoyed about the new tyre, how did that get past quality control, I read the CRC site and you need to print off some return documentaion, unfortunately, my printer is out of action, so can't print it, so it might be a case of me having to cut a small piece of rubber of on of the knobbles on my front wheel, and super glue it in to the hole on the tyre, I would put loads of glue on it to seal it good and proper, think it would hold up?

I had a ride over to Eastbourne today, I was planning to go up to the top of Beachy Head and a bit further down the coast, but it was pretty warm and I felt quite tired just before I got the Eastbourne pier, I think the miles this month are starting to take there toll, I'll go and do my night run later, and then tomorrow, another ride of around 25 miles will take me past 600 miles ridden in July, that makes up for last month where I missed a load of days riding, log for today:

Jul 30th

Top speed 26.9 mph (cycle path hill)
    Avg speed = 13.8 mph
    Distance = 34.42 miles
    Time 02:29:26

Pulse before ride = 58 bpm's
    Pulse after ride = 90 bpm's 8:30pm
    Pulse 10 minutes later = 84 bpm's 8:40pm
    Pulse 20 minutes later = 78 bpm's 8:50pm
    Pulse 60 minutes later = 72 bpm's 9:30pm

Total miles ridden = 1704.31
    ogoabdotinfoin5.jpg
  • I tried to push myself hardish tonight, but the wind has picked up and my legs were sore, still managed a half decentish average speed, though, log for tonight:

Jul 30th (2nd ride of the day)

Top speed 27.6 mph (cycle path hill)
    Avg speed = 14.7 mph
    Distance = 14.61 miles
    Time 59:21:4

Pulse before ride = 70 bpm's
    Pulse after ride = 90 bpm's 11:11pm
    Pulse 10 minutes later = 78 bpm's 11:21pm
    Pulse 20 minutes later = 76 bpm's 11:31pm
    Pulse 60 minutes later = (I'll edit it in later) bpm's 12:11am

Total miles ridden today = 49.03
    Total miles ridden = 1718.92
    ogoabdotinfoin5.jpg
  • dunker
    dunker Posts: 1,503
    nono send em back, for crc i don't use a printer, just copy the form on A4 best you can with a pen.
  • Hi Dunker, wasn't sure they would accept it like that, I'll give that a go then, cheers.
    ogoabdotinfoin5.jpg
  • Stormy
    Stormy Posts: 18
    Bad news on the tyre Old Git, I buy quite a lot from Chain Reaction (with the exception of tyres), send it back without hesitation a hole is a hole…….

OK regarding the weight of the Mongoose against the Scott easy one for me to answer actually, because initially I bought a Scott Aspect 45 on the Saturday from “On Yer Bike” LBS in Bournemouth, after several hours riding the handle bar shifter for the front mech failed (couldn’t get the outer chain ring), which kind of dented my confidence in the bike after that.

Eventually got home and rang up the store, explained the situation and they said bring the bike back on the Sunday (next day) and they’d take a look at it, they confirmed the bad news and told me the bike needed a new part. To which my answer was ok I’ll either have my money back or a new replacement, they didn’t have another one in the size I wanted so I took a look around the store and road tested a few and felt the Mongoose was the best of the bunch.

My opinion only: The Scott didn’t offer top tube cable runs, or a bar mounted lock out (you have to reach down on the Scott no big deal I guess) the forks btw are the same budget items. It’s supposed to have a superior frame, and the construction method uses something called Hydroforming? I suppose you could say the frame is prettier and more flowing, but really at this level it’s hard to see what benefits it actually offers in real terms.

I do however think the drive chain on the Mongoose was/is superior, smoother shifts and more precise, but the Scott I had may have been faulty right off the bat?? and when I say the Mongoose is not the lightest bike in the world, I mean in comparison to some of the more exotic stuff, you can still shoulder it no problem what so ever, no appreciable difference between the Scott and the Mongoose in weight I think they both come in at just under 30 pounds.

Hope this helps :D
  • @ Stormy, cheers for that info about the bike weights, very helpful, that's at least 11 pounds lighter than my bike, which would make a hell of a difference going up hills. I do like the remote lockout on the Mongoose, but then again, it's another thing that can be broken, so good and bad points to it, got a lot of thinking to do, and no doubt I will see another bike that I like the look of, that always happens, I basically want something with a decent enough light frame that is very upgradeable, like better shocks, better brakes, better gearing etc.

I planned to go out earlier this evening, gets to just after 6:00pm, no rain all day, got ready, still no rain, went downstairs, walked out the door and it started spitting, got about 1/4 of a mile and it was getting heavy, 3/4 of a mile and the rain drops were huge and torrential, couldn't see a thing for rain in my eyes, had to take go in to a beachfront shelter hoping it would ease, it started getting heavier, so I went home, drenched from head to toe, got indoors and changed, looked out the window, not a drop of rain falling, bloody typical :roll:

I went out tonight, it hadn't rained since I had been out earlier, I've gone about 2 miles and it starts spitting, I couldn't believe it, fortunately, it passed over, went to my 5 mile point at bexhill, then rode 3 times around part of my 4 mile loop for 10.5 miles, then 5.5 miles back to St Leonards and twice along the seafront here, that just got me over the 600 mile mark for this month, I'm very pleased with that. The next couple of days look very windy and rain forecast, so I think I'll have a couple of rest days, unless the weather turns out better than expected, log for tonight:

Jul 31st

Top speed 24.2 mph (cycle path hill)
    Avg speed = 14.5 mph
    Distance = 24.62 miles
    Time 01:41:31

Pulse before ride = 56 bpm's
    Pulse after ride = 88 bpm's 11:02pm
    Pulse 10 minutes later = 76 bpm's 11:12pm
    Pulse 20 minutes later = 70 bpm's 11:22pm
    Pulse 60 minutes later = 70 bpm's 12:02am

Total miles ridden = 1743.54

Miles per month I have been riding since the start:

February = 34.69 miles
    March = 197.93 miles
    April = 286.61 miles
    May = 343.63 miles
    June = 279.84 miles (I missed a lot of days this month)
    July = 600.76
    ogoabdotinfoin5.jpg
  • lesz42
    as u may know, i have the aspect 45, frame is brill, brakes ( Shimano 485) very good, chainset solid shimano, rest Scott!

nice bike,, anyway, rather more impressed at the miles you are doing! :)!

SEND your tyre back, its for the best, tbh! pain in the arse, tho!

neeed to sleep,

les
  • mick851
    mick851 Posts: 56
    just stumbled onto this site, old git on a bike,... i bought a cbr extreme mountain bike last year. i use it mainly to get to work, and i go along the transpennine trail. the bike gets a bit of a hammering ( really like to push things to limit ) :twisted: and i can honestly say the bikes still intact :D the only thing Ive had done is the gears adjusted which was down to the cables stretching
  • @ Lesz42, I forgot you had the Scott Aspect 45, sounds like you are happy with it and all the reviews I have seen for it have been very good, but buying a bike is a minefield, I want to get something as good as possible, possibly better than the Tyax or Aspect, but saving is difficult at the moment, as I am paying my current bike off, paid £150 so far, but once that's out of the way, I have £35 a week put away for my new bile, but which one lol

@ Mick 851, you got the same bike :shock: :lol:, I must admit that mine has surprised me, like you, I have not had to do anything to it, the only problem was the gears, and that was due to the same thing, cable stretch, sorted that out by tightening the adjusting screw things and no other problems, apart from punctures, which are nothing to do with the actual bike itself, it has performed much better than I ever expected, I thought something might have broken on it by now, considering it has never had a service or anything.

I had a couple of rest days on August 1st and 2nd as it was blowing a gale both days, the 3rd was still fairly windy and rained a lot, so I gave that a miss as well. I got out for a ride tonight, it's unreal just how much my legs and lungs hurt after having a few days off, I had not even gone half a mile in to the wind and my legs and lungs felt like they were on fire, it took about 5 miles before they eased up, I hope it's not always going to be like that, surely there must come a point where your body doesnt notice the effects of not riding for a few days. Another thing with taking days off is that I tend to eat more than I do when I'm riding, so I'm back up to around 12 and a half stone after getting down to bang on 12 stone at the end on July.

It looks like it's going to be raining for most of tomorrow, but the early eveing and night is supposed to be dry, depending on what happens, I'll try and do around 25 miles, the rest of the week doesn't look to bad, the winds should be lessening and it's supposed to stay dry, so I might get another long ride in, in intend to do a 70+ mile ride at some point this month, which I think I'll do by going to Polegate and riding up and down the Cuckoo Trail twice, anyway, log for tonight:

Aug 4th

Top speed 27.2 mph (cycle path hill)
    Avg speed = 13.9 mph
    Distance = 14.65 miles
    Time 01:02:53

Pulse before ride = 66 bpm's
    Pulse after ride = 100 bpm's 11:16pm
    Pulse 10 minutes later = 86 bpm's 11:26pm
    Pulse 20 minutes later = 78 bpm's 11:36pm
    Pulse 60 minutes later = 74 bpm's 12:16am

Total miles ridden = 1758.19
    ogoabdotinfoin5.jpg
  • mick851
    old git on a bike, Ive put Dr sludge in my inner tubes and it seems to work pretty well, had a tack in my front tyre, pulled it out and it sealed :D . my mate got this green slime in his and its ...erm crap! . im in 2 minds whether to get another bike or just get some new forks :?
  • @ Mick851, I was going to get some of those ready filled slime innertubes, but most people said they were not worth the money or didn't make any difference and still got punctures, so I left it in the end. I'm not sure it's worth putting new shocks on the CBR, is it? I mean, it's a heavy bike at 19 kilos (41lbs), and once you stick a couple of water bottles on, along with a tube, tools and some food, it's going to weigh about 45 pounds, that's why I want a new bike weighing something around the 30lbs mark, preferably less. I do like the CBR frame, it looks and feels sturdy compared to the better bikes, it's just the weight of it, I would be interested to know the outcome if you do put new shocks on yours, let us know if you do.

The weather turned out nice today, the expected all day rain didn't come, there was a bit of light drizzle for about 20 minutes and that was it, the wind dropped and it was sunny, really ideal for riding, brilliant, except that I got a damn migraine and had to lay down for a couple of hours in the afternoon and then fell asleep, I had a bad nights sleep last night, only about 3 - 4 hours sleep in all, that's probaly what brought the migraine on, I eventually went to go out around 6:00pm, got my cycling gear on, but I felt so lethargic and still had a slight headache, I just couldn't be bothered, so I took my cycling gear off and went back to the computer until my ride tonight, did my usual loop with a couple more 3.5 mile sections of it, log for tonight:

Aug 5th

Top speed 26.0 mph (cycle path hill)
    Avg speed = 14.5 mph
    Distance = 20.41 miles
    Time 01:24:11

Pulse before ride = 64 bpm's
    Pulse after ride = 98 bpm's 11:14pm
    Pulse 10 minutes later = 78 bpm's 11:24pm
    Pulse 20 minutes later = 74 bpm's 11:34pm
    Pulse 60 minutes later = 72 bpm's 12:14am

Total miles ridden = 1778.60
    ogoabdotinfoin5.jpg
  • mick851
    old git on a bike, to be honest im sort of 50/50 at minute, do i get new shocks or do i get one of those menacing looks of my other half every time i mention ...new bike ( she keeps saying theirs nothing wrong with one you've got!) but shes not the one biking 60 miles aweek to work :x think i'll let the public vote :lol: new shocks on a cbr or new bike?????????????? but i only want one around £500
  • beski
    beski Posts: 542
    Gotta be a new bike, £500 will get you a good hardtail.
    You could spend £100 + on a new fork alone
    Giant Defy 4 2014
    GT Avalanche Expert 2006
    Specialized Hardrock 1989
  • mick851
    old git on a bike, just had a look at the pic of your bike on page 1, the forks on mine are abit different to yours and the weight of mine is 4 lbs lighter :shock:
    beski, just seen some new forks in shop £120 +£20 fitting which is roughly what price i had in mind, still havnt made my mind up,depends on how much nagging i get as well from my other half :lol:
  • Amos
    Amos Posts: 438
    New bike for £500, something like a Specialized Rockhopper.
  • mick851
    that's it ive made my mind up, i'll buy a new bike i know i said £500 i'll make it £600, any ideas on which bike? i want one that will take a bit of hammer!!!
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    Saracen Zen 1
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • mick851
    just been looking at a carrera banshee, any ideas on what its like, good or bad review?????? :?
  • @ Mick851, are you sure it's the CBR "Extreme" you have got? Not sure why it would have different forks, mind you, in the photo on page one, the forks have the word "Zoom" written down the side of them, it doesn't actually say that on mine, it has CBR instead, but they are Zoom shocks as they have a small sticker on them.

I see you decided on going the whole hog and getting a new bike after all :D, good man, I found another one I like the look of, better components all round on it than the Mongoose Tyax or Scott Aspect 45, it's this one, down to £499 from £699:

Viper TR 4.0 Hardtail Bike 2008

That would mean getting the 20 inch frame, but I think that will be more suitable than my current bike which is also a 20 inch frame, but the top tube is more horizontal on mine and with with no clearence for the crown jewels.

Another lovely day which I didn't get to make use of, the other half went out in the morning, and in the afternoon I had to look after my kid while she went to get her hair done, then by the time I'd had my tea, it was getting on for 6:00pm, so I left it until tonight when the wind was right down low.

I had a look on Google maps before I went out aas I wanted to extend my loop over near Coombe Beach, I followed the road past where I usually go, but I got a little bit lost after that, I can usually remember routes by looking at the aerial view, but not this time, I eventually got back to the main drag on Bexhill seafront and had done nearly 12 miles, then went back and did my usual smaller loop, then back home. There was a lot lightening as soon as I went out tonight, it was over Eastbourne and further away, I though I was going to have to go back early if it poured down, it was getting closer all the time, but I beat the weather, it hit here 10 minutes after I got back, result :D, log for tonight:

Aug 6th

Top speed 27.4 mph (road in Bexhill)
    Avg speed = 14.4 mph
    Distance = 20.60 miles
    Time 01:25:38

Pulse before ride = 64 bpm's
    Pulse after ride = 90 bpm's 11:15pm
    Pulse 10 minutes later = 80 bpm's 11:25pm
    Pulse 20 minutes later = 78 bpm's 11:35pm
    Pulse 60 minutes later = 74 bpm's 12:15am

Total miles ridden = 1799.20
    ogoabdotinfoin5.jpg
  • beski
    beski Posts: 542
    mick851 wrote:
    just been looking at a carrera banshee, any ideas on what its like, good or bad review?????? :?

Heres a review of the Banshee...

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/bikes/mountain/product/banshee-10017

I think you'd be far better off with a hardtail though, you'll get more bike for your buck, lighter and better componentry. The Banshee is heavy, full sussers at this price point are, if your looking in Halfords have a look at the Carrera Fury, GT Aggressor XCR, or the Boardman bikes

This thread may help...

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12579972&highlight=carrera+banshee
    Giant Defy 4 2014
    GT Avalanche Expert 2006
    Specialized Hardrock 1989
  • mick851
    beski,..thanks for info, i'll have a look .
    old git on a bike,...the forks in the pic can have v brakes on them instead of disc, you can't on mine
  • @ Larok, those bikes are ok but one only has v brakes, and they all have Shimano gearing, I have only used SRAM, it's got the X-5 on my bike and I find the gear changing very smoothe, so I want a bike with SRAM on it.

I couldn't be bothered to go out today, the wind was more than I like it to be, and seeing others ride along the seafront at very low speeds with cranks spinning like crazy, was enough reason for me to give it a miss. I went out tonight, but I hadn't gone half a mile and my thighs were burning, the wind wasn't even strong, so I was annoyed with myself, I nearly went home at that point, just couldn't be bothered, had to shout at myself in my head just to keep going, carried on but only went once around my loop and I'd had enough, felt drained, so I headed home.

Another thing I have been noticing lately, say I'm going along at a nice speed, I hit the bottom of a hill or even just an incline in the road, I seem to slow to nothing so quickly, I always look down to see if my tyre is flat, it honestly feels that bad, can't understand it, everything feels so heavy, it's as if the bike is suddenly made of lead, getting out of the saddle to ride is even hard to turn the cranks and my thighs burn badly, these are not even steep hills I'm talking about, I have no idea how I'm supposed to ride the South Downs Way next year if I can't manage even light uphills at the moment without feeling crippled, I sometimes wish I had a really light road bike instead :oops:, log for tonight:

Aug 7th

Top speed 27.4 mph (cycle path hill)
    Avg speed = 14.1 mph
    Distance = 14.19 miles
    Time 01:00:10

Pulse before ride = 68 bpm's
    Pulse after ride = 92 bpm's 10:52pm
    Pulse 10 minutes later = 78 bpm's 11:02pm
    Pulse 20 minutes later = 78 bpm's 11:12pm
    Pulse 60 minutes later = 72 bpm's 11:52pm

Total miles ridden = 1813.39
    ogoabdotinfoin5.jpg