Brushes with Fame

Comments

• Once met the Queen, we spoke about the weather (what else). She's very short with quite a large chest. Is that treason :?

Saw Robin Cook on the Tube and also had Douglas Hurd sit next to me on the Central Line.

Got drunk with a High Court Judge once (best not to name him). I have this memory of him standing there with a wine bottle in one hand and a glass in the other gently swaying as we talked. Isn't quite as intimidating as when in Court :)
    Beer, the reason my ambitions have not become my achievements
  • If we're doing politicos - I met Balls (Ed) recently at a meeting - shook his hand and told him my name. I doubt he remembers though

Rule No.10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster
  • I have a friend who has a senior job in a TV company. Now and again I go with him to corporate events. Unfortunately I don't watch his channel and even though I seem to have met a lot of 'famous' people, I have no idea who any of them are!

One person I've met who has true star quality is Betty Boothroyd - brilliant, charming, funny, warm and still not a bad looker!
  • Ok here goes... Queen Prince Andrew, Prince Charles, All of the Labour, Torie, Lib Dem party, Maggie Thatcher, Neil Kinnock (top bloke), Rik Myall, Shilpa Shetty (wait is she famous!?!?) Whole cast of Soccer Am minus Hells Bells, Stereophonics, Raghdi Omar, Carol Vorderman, Richard Keys, Welsh rugby team, Nev Southall, Ian Rush, Whole of Dundee United squad, Garth Crooks, bloke who did South Bank show who's name escapes me, Rhys Ifans, Chip and Terry from Twin Town, Damien (ginger hair, actor, in band of brothers and various movie...memory has gone) The Rifles, 60 foot dolls, Manic Street Preachers, Darren Campbell, went to school with Jamie Baulch, Iwan Thomas, Steve Redgrave, Helena Christensen...without make up and still hot!!! There are many many more but I'll have to put my thinking cap on...Oh yeah just remebered...broke Danny Gabbidons leg as a kid playing football!!! Bloke out of Corrie and Where the heart is (lives up street) also the actor in Waking the dead (northern one with bald head who looks a little crazy) oh yeah talkin of crazy - Chris Eubank, Joe Calzaghe.(Joe Calzaghe isnt crazy I was just talkin bout Eubank) Loads of Welsh BBC news presenters. (including Derek the weatherman for those who know what I'm talking about) Elvis Costello.
    Ok that will do for now. (I sound A. sad and B. like a stalker)
    There is never redemption, any fool can regret yesterday...

Be Pure! Be Vigilant! Behave!
  • popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    Ok here goes... Queen Prince Andrew, Prince Charles, All of the Labour, Torie, Lib Dem party, Maggie Thatcher, Neil Kinnock (top bloke), Rik Myall, Shilpa Shetty (wait is she famous!?!?) Whole cast of Soccer Am minus Hells Bells, Stereophonics, Raghdi Omar, Carol Vorderman, Richard Keys, Welsh rugby team, Nev Southall, Ian Rush, Whole of Dundee United squad, Garth Crooks, bloke who did South Bank show who's name escapes me, Rhys Ifans, Chip and Terry from Twin Town, Damien (ginger hair, actor, in band of brothers and various movie...memory has gone) The Rifles, 60 foot dolls, Manic Street Preachers, Darren Campbell, went to school with Jamie Baulch, Iwan Thomas, Steve Redgrave, Helena Christensen...without make up and still hot!!! There are many many more but I'll have to put my thinking cap on...Oh yeah just remebered...broke Danny Gabbidons leg as a kid playing football!!! Bloke out of Corrie and Where the heart is (lives up street) also the actor in Waking the dead (northern one with bald head who looks a little crazy) oh yeah talkin of crazy - Chris Eubank, Joe Calzaghe.(Joe Calzaghe isnt crazy I was just talkin bout Eubank) Loads of Welsh BBC news presenters. (including Derek the weatherman for those who know what I'm talking about) Elvis Costello.

get you! :D
    How did you manage to meet all of them then?
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Oh, I saw Jordan's (of giant breasts fame) mum and Harvey at Moorfields Eye Hospital childrens section.

Said hello and all that and she was really nice and friendly.

Another one I saw recently on Oxford St was Gok Wan (he of "how to look good naked" fame) He's really tall which surprised me.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • pedylan
    pedylan Posts: 768
    drewfromrisca

You are a make up artist for BBC Wales and I claim my £5

I lived in Risca (assuming that's what you mean) for 6 months 20 years ago and I never met anyone famous. :(
    Where the neon madmen climb
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    popette wrote:
    Ok here goes... Queen Prince Andrew, Prince Charles, All of the Labour, Torie, Lib Dem party, Maggie Thatcher, Neil Kinnock (top bloke), Rik Myall, Shilpa Shetty (wait is she famous!?!?) Whole cast of Soccer Am minus Hells Bells, Stereophonics, Raghdi Omar, Carol Vorderman, Richard Keys, Welsh rugby team, Nev Southall, Ian Rush, Whole of Dundee United squad, Garth Crooks, bloke who did South Bank show who's name escapes me, Rhys Ifans, Chip and Terry from Twin Town, Damien (ginger hair, actor, in band of brothers and various movie...memory has gone) The Rifles, 60 foot dolls, Manic Street Preachers, Darren Campbell, went to school with Jamie Baulch, Iwan Thomas, Steve Redgrave, Helena Christensen...without make up and still hot!!! There are many many more but I'll have to put my thinking cap on...Oh yeah just remebered...broke Danny Gabbidons leg as a kid playing football!!! Bloke out of Corrie and Where the heart is (lives up street) also the actor in Waking the dead (northern one with bald head who looks a little crazy) oh yeah talkin of crazy - Chris Eubank, Joe Calzaghe.(Joe Calzaghe isnt crazy I was just talkin bout Eubank) Loads of Welsh BBC news presenters. (including Derek the weatherman for those who know what I'm talking about) Elvis Costello.

He's a doorman at the Beeb or concierge as they prefer to be known. :lol:
  • mm1
    mm1 Posts: 1,063
    A cycling one I'm afraid.

One day in the late '80s, the immaculate and stylish Hugh Porter cruised past me as I struggled up some climb in Shropshire, he offered two words of advice "sit down".

Oh, and Anna Ford asked me to pass her that next customer thing at the checkout in Sainsburys.
  • IanTrcp
    IanTrcp Posts: 761
    IanTrcp wrote:
    I have been kept awake by Kylie Minogue snoring [true].

Ian wins.........

tell us more, please! Any pictures? Or Video :shock:

Sadly not. Working on a corporate transaction a few years ago, I was unlucky enough to have to make three separate trips to Australia (from London) during one month. On the third one I found myself sharing the cabin at the front of the plane with Kylie. She's tiny, lovely and I was devastated to realise that her snoring would make a future life together untenable...
  • pedylan, did you really live in Risca?

To be honest, I have no idea how I meet them but I just keep bumping into them. To be honest when I was out I kept thinkin of more and more people and on way to house I saw the presenter who usually does the sport and i think he did that love island boll*cks! Also working in Chiswick gets you a good few sightings and meeting people famous as loads of them live there. Oooh heres another one....the fat one from Trinny and Susannah. Saw her driving a huge four by four t'other day! Oh and no I'm neither a door man or make up artist. Wait another one just popped into my head, Katie Meluah. She needed directions in Westminster. Oh and the one out of hollyoaks and two pints of lager and packet of crisps once told me I had a lovely dog! Ok that'll do for today. I'll have a think overnight!
    There is never redemption, any fool can regret yesterday...

Be Pure! Be Vigilant! Behave!
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    Years ago, at home in my village in Cornwall, I used to drink and play 'spoof' all evening with Tommy Cooper when he came to Cornwall on tour. If you lost the spoof he would drink brandy and port. He would ask for it in a large glass, not a brandy glass. He told us his nose was too big to tip the glass back properly. He also had massive feet. Jesus, he was funny. Genius!

In the late 70's, at the height of Mork and Mindy, I saw Robin Williams park opposite my home in Chelsea one afternoon. He then walked off with a couple of ladies. On his return I got my 4 year old son to shout out 'Mork' to him from the bedroom window. He looked up and for a good 5 minutes acted and conversed with him as Mork. He had us in fits of laughter. I'll always remember how kind he was to take the time to do this.

Just like that!

[/i]
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • I was working in a Navel Base on the south coast and needed to wash my hands. After looking for the toilets in vain I spotted some uniformed types through a glass door. I lent through the door and asked "Oi mate where are the bogs" Prince Andrew then personaly showed me to the toilets. He did not come in with me!!
  • guinea
    guinea Posts: 1,177
    I have a huge long list but here are a few off the top of my head.

Gordon Brown - charity do
    Charles Kennedy - interview him for school magazine
    Kenneth Clarke - asked him on the tube why he was never Tory leader
    Louis Theroux - chatted at bar at work
    Spice Girls - sat on my desk at work waiting to do PR work
    Jordan - was interviewed at my work
    Red Hot Chilli Peppers - drinks after a 'secret' gig
    Sat beside and chatted with a few of the Scottish rugby team at an American Football game at Murrayfield.
    Shirley Manson - got drunk together when she was backing singer for Goodbye Mr MacKenzie
    Trinny Constanine - was at a wedding with her
    David Dickinson - worked on a charity thing together
    Eamonn Holmes - as above.

Plus, there are countless other celebs I have seen. All of the above I at least chatted or got drunk with.

I've seen almost all of the various big brother households around London. The latest was Brian(?) the excruciatingly camp guy. He got on the tube at clapham the other day. I used to share a carraige with Nasty Nick regularly from Clapham Junction.
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    Oh, I wish I could tell you who I had lunch with in 2004, who I had dinner with the same year, and who then came up to shake MY hand in 2005 but I'm sworn to utter discretion on all counts!

(Buy me several beers after the Etape Caledonia next year, and I'll probably tell you.)

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• ivancarlos
    ivancarlos Posts: 1,034
    guinea wrote:
    Trinny Constanine - was at a wedding with her

What, both of them? :wink:
    I have pain!
  • ricadus
    ricadus Posts: 2,379
    popette wrote:

Perhaps it was pure chance and they happened to be together in one place momentarily: You get on the number 27 one morning to go to work and there they all are and its standing room only...
  • I`ve met all of BLUR, met micheal barrymore, dannii minogue (very short bless her) , Met Paul Daniels and Debbie maggee ( don`t ask) Met James May off top gear, who was a really cool bloke, but I was a bit disapointed that he smoked !
    The nicest famous person I have met was..........
    LEE EVANS
    What a great bloke !
    He was soooooooo nice
    He had time for everyone !
    A very very good bloke.
    And on the 7th day...............
    God created...........
    THE BIKE
  • Burton
    Burton Posts: 172
    Vikki Butler-Henderson came to my house once, and I gave her a guided tour of my workplace another time. Got me lots of Kudos points!
    Mark Webber (F1) - cycled with him several times he's bloody good and has trained with LA in the past, played footy with him a lot too
    Friends with 2 Indy 500 winners.
    Loads of other motorsport/F1 people.
    Colin McRae made me a coffee once at his house, he was a really nice guy.

Taking my bobble hat and going now......
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    I did once steal Helen Mirren's taxi. The driver was very forgiving about it.

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• Brains
    Brains Posts: 1,732
    Ooooh I can add loads to this thread, big name dropper that I am .....

I'm an Arsenal supporter, when i say supporter, I mean i never been to a match or even watched footie on telly, but as my wife supports Man U and my father-in-law supports Arsenal I therefore support Arsenal. Anyway, I digress, I turned up a chiridee cycle ride earlier this year, and got talking, as you do, to a guy called Ian who was going at the same speed as me and I recognised his top as being the same cycle club as my brother who was somewhere ahead of us, we had a fine time, blasted through Kent and put the world to rights, at the end of the ride he was surrounded by film crews, TV crews, people with microphones etc Turns out his surname was Wright......
  • Brains
    .... and then there was the time a few mates and I got into a swanky London night club on New Years Eve, we all got pissed, and one mate then when into the loo and threw up, all over the shoes of some bloke called Bruce Grobbalar who was the English Goalie at the time, he left, we did not, but we made our mate give him £10 for the trouble :D
  • Brains
    .... and whilst we are on the football theme my wife went to the same school and lived on the next road to David Beckham.
  • Brains
    Living in Greenwich you get used to see celebs about but a few stick in my mind:

Glenda Jackson buying fags on a daily basis.
    Jools Holland used to live in our road until 2 years ago so that does not count
    Various members of "The Bill"
    Saying hello to Heseltyne before I figured out who it was
    Lots of rock and rollers, from our local boy band 'Blue' to Lemmy from Motorhead
    Boy George does not count either as we all knew him when he was still at school, likewise Dire Straights were the resident pub band at the pub at the end of the road, (Called the Sultan, now a Chicken place)
  • magibob
    magibob Posts: 203
    Brains wrote:
    ... some bloke called Bruce Grobbalar who was the English Goalie at the time

I don't think so.

Andy
  • Brains
    Magibob wrote:
    Brains wrote:
    ... some bloke called Bruce Grobbalar who was the English Goalie at the time

I don't think so.

Andy

Well as I said in my earlier post, my interest in football in minimal to say the least, which is why I had no idea who Ian Wright was either, so having had to resort to wikepedia to find out who Bruce Grobbelaar was (correct spelling this time), I'm guessing he was the Liverpool goalie at the time.

When it come to the pub quiz, I do the questions on Geography and History and leave the football ones to the armchair sport brigade
  • ivancarlos
    ivancarlos Posts: 1,034
    He was also the keeper for Zimbabwe.
    I have pain!
  • Mike Healey
    Mike Healey Posts: 1,023
    I 'ad that Angelina Jolie on the back of my tandem once
    Organising the Bradford Kids Saturday Bike Club at the Richard Dunn Sports Centre since 1998
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/eastbradfordcyclingclub/
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/eastbradfordcyclingclub/
  • Brains
    I 'ad that Jame Brown in the back of my Landrover once

(really did, at the V99 festival)
  • Met Jeremy Paxman 7-and-a-bit years ago, as I was on the University Challenge team at that time whilst studying for my PhD at York. Easy-going, down-to-earth bloke off-camera, i.e. nothing like the ruthless interrogator we're used to seeing on the BBC!

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal