Brushes with Fame

Comments

• Nope never heard of him but he looks like a nob.
    Every winner has scars.
  • Eat My Dust
    Eat My Dust Posts: 3,965
    The Queen mother
    The Queen
    Prince Phillip
    Prince Charles waved to me once when he drove past me (I waved first, he was returning the compliment)
    Angelo Badelamenti
    Craig & Charlie Reid (The Proclaimers)
    Stuart Adamson (Skids, Big Country)
    Mark Kermode
    The blond actress from the first Matrix film
    The Pub Landlord (in front of me in Sainsbury's)
    Stelios (nearly walked into him exiting a swanky hotel)
    Rula Lenska (always walking about Chiswick)
    James Morrison (he was buying rollies, I was buying garlic in local corner shop)
    Duncan from Blue (nearly ran me over in Soho!!)
    Captain Slow from Top Gear (getting shouted at from WVM for driving like an idiot)

BTW for Shed Seven fans, I have 2 tickets for the Shepherds Bush gig in December for sale that I'm selling if you're interested, PM me.
  • Cyrenne
    Cyrenne Posts: 184
    I had a short conversation with Richard Whiteley (sp?) a few years ago at a jazz gig in West Yorkshire. I was told shortly after who I'd been speaking too.
    That's it in the world of entertainment.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    HungryCol wrote:
    Nope never heard of him but he looks like a nob.

They both do.
    Which is which?
  • ricadus
    ricadus Posts: 2,379
    Oh I forgot to mention:

Davide Rebellin, Richard Virenque, Ivan Gotti and Laurent Jalabert after the Giro in 1999.

I had been chatting to this girl I'd met the day before, whose brother was a mechanic with Polti, but I wasn't really into road racing at the time, so despite watching a few of the stages there that final week, apart from Virenque I didn't reallise who I was standing next to.

I remember Rebellin did look rather like Tintin.
  • When I was about 6 I was almost hit by Delia Smith in her car. Had my nose pressed against her bumper :wink:

My friends dad was a very long standing radio 1 DJ.

Went to school with a girl who presented John Craven's news round.

Edit:

I saw Alan Titchmarch in the street, tailed him for a bit before asking him if he would pose in a photo with me - he did, bucket and all.

Again when about 6 my dad played a charity cricket match against celebs including Noel Edmonds, sat in his helicopter afterwards.
  • ivancarlos
    ivancarlos Posts: 1,034
    I got drinking with Mr C of the Shamen on holiday once. I remember him telling me that 'Ebeneezer Goode' was being released back home that week and giving me a rendition of the rap. Quite surreal when it went to the top of the charts a couple of weeks later.
    I have pain!
  • Met Ron Haslam when my brother was a marshall at the Kyalami race track in South Africa.

Also talked to Jaques Lafitte at the South African Grandprix at Kyalami. Actually got to sit in his car as well......

Have seen Terry Christian a couple of times in Space in Manchester, and also Nick Knowles in Cafe Nero in Manchester
  • I did the Braveheart Challenge in 2006 - Chris Hoy and Sean Kelly were both there supporting and I met them both (very briefly). Chris Hoy's legs are frickin huge!
  • mr_hippo
    mr_hippo Posts: 1,051
    Had a kick-about with some of the Busby Babes at Bill Foulkes' parent's house
    Lunch with Idi Amin
    Talked to Field Marshall Montgomery at Farnham Post Office when he was picking up his pension
    A number of Saudi princes
    Harold Wilson
    Screaming Lord Sutch
  • IanTrcp
    IanTrcp Posts: 761
    I have been kept awake by Kylie Minogue snoring [true].
  • IanTrcp wrote:
    I have been kept awake by Kylie Minogue snoring [true].

Ian wins.........

tell us more, please! Any pictures? Or Video :shock:
  • went to a family wedding of some distant cousin back in the 1980's. The groom was/is a theatrical agent so there was
    Judi Dench
    some woman off Blue Peter
    Anton Rodgers
    Keith Barron (at that time famous for Duty Free, not Coronation St)
    and the then Attorney General Sir Michael Havers (complete with bodyguards)

if you think the last surname sounds familiar - it is as the best man was:

Nigel Havers

who was appearing in some sit-com of the time. He used the speech to tell us he'd been reading a book about best man's speeches and how the best bit of advice in it was:
    "remember, you're not a professional comedian"

oh how we all laughed :roll:
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    whitley wrote:
    HungryCol wrote:
    Nope never heard of him but he looks like a nob.

They both do.
    Which is which?

LOL

I'm on the right...

the guy on the left is Mr Lifto, he was a circus 'freak' a few years back lifting weights etc with ears, nose, toungue, nips and his nob.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Rose_Circus
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • I was at school with Liz Hurley, even managed to dance with her in a school play.

During my mis-spent rock n'roll yoof I was on nodding terms with Alan McGhee (later the honcho of Creation Records) and Eddie Pillar (later head honcho of Acid Jazz Records). I briefly dated a Bangle, knew REM when they were still a cult band, kicked Noel Gallagher of my stage.

Later I fenced against Bruce Dickenson (of Iron Maiden). And on several occasions watched a young Bradley Wiggins disappear up the road during inter-club TT's.
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    popette wrote:
    have you met anyone famous? who did you meet? what were they like and were they what you expected?

Donna McPhail, a lesbian comedian, once tried to snog me in a gay club! A rugby player too - not at the same time. A brief car flirtation with David Beckham (nothing too special in that as he did the same with my next door neighbour and probably many other ladies of cheshire), John Leslie almost got in a lift with me but the doors shut - thank god - and I often see Man U players in Tesco. Oh, and my husband was in a lift with Morgan Freeman in Warsaw.
    I've not really had a proper chat with anyone in the public eye though. How's about you?

More to the point Popette, what was you doing in a gay bar? 8)
  • popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    I keep spilling far too many beans on here :shock: so I'm going to break the habit and say nowt!
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,104
    During my mis-spent rock n'roll yoof I was on nodding terms with Alan McGhee (later the honcho of Creation Records) and Eddie Pillar (later head honcho of Acid Jazz Records). I briefly dated a Bangle, knew REM when they were still a cult band, kicked Noel Gallagher of my stage.
    Which one though? :P
  • popette
    andyp wrote:

yeh, that's the important question. The lead singer was really pretty, the others less so from what I remember.
  • andyp wrote:

ooh, I'm too much of a gentleman to say :wink: but not the small dark cute one (Sue Hoffs) - she was a right little prima donna
  • andyp
    popette wrote:
    yeh, that's the important question. The lead singer was really pretty, the others less so from what I remember.
    Do you want to settle this outside? :evil: :wink:

Frankly, I'd be happy to have dated any of them!
  • andyp
    ooh, I'm too much of a gentleman to say :wink: but not the small dark cute one (Sue Hoffs) - she was a right little prima donna
    If it was Michael Steele, the bassist, I will be envious for the rest of my days - she was gorgeous! :oops:
  • popette
    andyp wrote:
    popette wrote:
    Do you want to settle this outside? :evil: :wink:

Frankly, I'd be happy to have dated any of them!

Oh I was about 8 at the time so probably have it wrong anyway :) . I just remember wanting to be the lead singer.
  • PhilofCas
    PhilofCas Posts: 1,153
    Princess Di (in Rotherham!).
    Frank Carson (Manchester Airport)
    Tony Blackburn (London, mid 80's, in a Porsche).
    Ashley off Coronation Street (Lake Windermere).
    Gaz Coombes Supergrass leadsinger (Leeds)
  • popette
    Here's a pic of them from 2003

The_Bangles_Doll_Revolution_Promo_Photo_2003.jpg
  • andyp
    Popette - you are a star.

Michael is the one on the left. *Swoon*
  • Many many years ago John Noakes knocked on my mum and dads front door asking for directions. He was driving a mini and Shep was in the back of the car.

My commuting bike
    http://tinyurl.com/366awv
  • shazzz
    shazzz Posts: 1,077
    My wife insists to this day that the one on the right is a man...
  • Went cycling with steve cummings this year. One of my best mates used to be in emmerdale. That's it. Not many A listers there. Never even seen anyone else famous.
    Dan
  • pedylan
    pedylan Posts: 768
    The actress who plays Jean Slater in Eastenders is a good friend.

Cycling connection - she very kindly collected me from the train when I was in London for the Bike show. During the car journey I had my clothing disarranged and was nuzzled quite roughly.

By her over enthusiastic spaniel.... :wink:
    Where the neon madmen climb