What to eat?

Richie G
Richie G Posts: 283
Currently trying to work out a winter training schedule ahead of my first season (no doubt will be posting that in the near future!). I'm concerned that it's no good me coming up with training plans if i'm not eating right! I'm 6 foot and 11 stone, and am already finding it had to keep weight on. I've found this when been doing running training- i end up cramming all sorts of biscuits/cakes/chocolate into my mouth just to maintain my weight! I eat 3 relatively healhty meals a day, always make sure i get my 5 fruit and veg a day but i think i need to be alot more informed as to what i eat between. I really would rather not get any skinnier (Mrs G complains i'm getting too bony!) but want to increase my training miles through the winter. Any thoughts?

Comments

• Doom
    Doom Posts: 133
    Richie G wrote:
    always make sure i get my 5 fruit and veg a day

Wish I had your problem, I struggle to keep off the weight. From what I read, from a very reliable source (old 2nd hand mens health in waiting room), We should be aiming for 8 portions of fruit and veg. a day.

I have a mate who has your metabolism and he has added in a meal replacement/protien shake to his diet which seems to work for him.
    FCN: 4
  • Richie G
    Wish I had your problem, I struggle to keep off the weight.

Sorry, my wife also hates me for this reason! Have thought that maybe i need to consider supplements but a bit daunted by them to be honest!
  • I'm in the same position as you mate, 6'3", 11 stone. I tried maxi-muscle pro-gain (whey based, no creatine) for a while, but it was going right through me. It's difficult to eat a lot of food. I have a selection of nuts on my desk in work which I munch on all day. I also have a good size dinner. Generally I've been adopting the "a little and often" approach, but without much success. I'd love to hear any one else's opinions.

P
  • at over 6 foot and barely 11 and a half stone I have this condition (see my moniker) but it all comes down to metabolism imo. Mine's just super quick and I never have had a problem with shovelling vast quantities down my gullet and worrying about weight. :oops:
    However, if you are doing a lot of cycling - 8 to 10hrs a week or more, then you will find keeping up with the calories burnt a bit more difficult than usual.
    Forget the biscuits etc, try going for a big bowl of cereal with a chopped up banana as an alternative, or a simple smoothie (milk/OJ/banana/fruit) to fill you up and not have TOO much of a negative effect.

Also look at portion sizes - cyclists burn up calories more than "normal" people and as such need more fuel in the engine...
  • I wish I had your problem! But here are some ideas.
    You need to increase calories without eating too much rubbish food. You can probably safely give low fat stuff a miss (but don't deep fry everything either!), increase your bread/pasta/rice/potatoes intake, increase your healthy snacks (nuts, sarnies, milk etc).

A 60/20/20 % diet of calories from carbs/protein/fats is a reasonable aim. Have a milky drink before bed, eat when training and afterwards too (perhaps ready made shakes etc.)

Whilst I'd hate to advocate missing out on wholegrain products they are not very energy dense and you may find it easier to eat 'whiter' varieties. Whiter bread and a healthy sandwhich filler will still be better than rubbish.

Mail me if you want more help, or see if you can find a NHS dietician - thye'd love an alternative challenge of 'fattening ' up someone!! :)
  • Richie G
    Thanks guys. Think i'm going to have to maybe jot down everything i eat for the next week and try and work things out from there. Maybe a decent sized after training sandwich could be the way to go- instead of getting home and raiding the cupboard of sweet stuff! Wondering if i need more protein- milks quite good for that isn't it?
  • Yes - keeping track of what you eat (everything - even the chunk of cheese nicked from teh fridge whilst cooking! :wink: ) is a good idea - you'll be surprised!

Milk is good stuff for protien & some minerals but as with everything don't go overboard - a pint a day is probably enough - inc. what you use in cooking.
    Definitely topping up with something healthy straight after training is a good idea - it utilises the 'window' for takeup of nutrients (especially carbs) and takes the edge off the fridge raid syndrome when you get home. As a healthy snack also needs a bit of planning it gives you more 'control'.
    If you're eating plenty of food you probably don't need more protein but it is easy to be mislead. 1-1,5g of protein per kg of body weight is recommended for people training regularly. For a 70kg person thats 70 - 105g a day. Getting that via fatty meat alone might put you over the calories from fat limit - which for weight gain might be ok, but is less good for your blood vessels.
  • BeaconRuth
    BeaconRuth Posts: 2,086
    Milk is good stuff for protien & some minerals but as with everything don't go overboard - a pint a day is probably enough - inc. what you use in cooking.
    Ut_och_cykla, is there any particular reason why you suggest limiting milk intake to a pint a day? Just interested.

Ruth
  • Umm.... yes - to have a balanced diet you need to eat more than just milk. A high energy user could easily consume vast quantities of milk (or juice/coca cola for that matter), thereby getting enough calories but not the optimal mix of nutrients. Also I believe milk products sequester ('mop up') iron which could be of concern.
    A pint a day is just a rough guideline in my mind - one glass is probably too little, 3 pints too many :)
    As I said - milk is good, (cheap, reliable, easily available, protein, calcium, A & D vitamins etc) but don't go overboard :)
    And remember that large sections of the worlds population don't drink milk at all once they are weaned!
  • BeaconRuth
    Umm.... yes - to have a balanced diet you need to eat more than just milk.
    I think that's fairly obvious! :D

I consume a lot more than 1 pint a day and as dietary habits go, I don't think it a bad one. Milk provides only a fraction of the additional calories I need to support my training.

Ruth
  • top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    pedro_d wrote:
    I'm in the same position as you mate, 6'3", 11 stone. I tried maxi-muscle pro-gain (whey based, no creatine) for a while, but it was going right through me. It's difficult to eat a lot of food. I have a selection of nuts on my desk in work which I munch on all day. I also have a good size dinner. Generally I've been adopting the "a little and often" approach, but without much success. I'd love to hear any one else's opinions.

P

This may not be much use to you but 3 or 4 pints of beer during a weekday and double that on a Saturday should soon see an end to your skinny days. It worked for me :lol:
  • nolf
    nolf Posts: 1,287
    Only 1 pint of milk?! :shock:

I have at least 2 pints a day, it's yummy, healthy (skimmed), cheap source of protein, and refreshing after a ride.

I have the same problem tho-
    6ft and 10.5 stone. And I eat such crap as well (student), not to mention drink (again student). I am starting to eat a lot more healthily though, I generally do the lot's of smaller meals (well they are normal sized meals but I just have more of them :)) as I have a small stomach but a large appetite.

Day plan roughly- Breakfast- 8:00ish, Cooked Breakfast 11ish, Lunch 1/2ish, Early Dinner 5:30/6ish, Late dinner 8/9ish. Snacking on bannans and apples and grapes.
    It's a lot, but atm im doing anywhere between 10-15 hours a week depending on what week it is.
    "I hold it true, what'er befall;
    I feel it, when I sorrow most;
    'Tis better to have loved and lost;
    Than never to have loved at all."

Alfred Tennyson
  • Anyone who is 6ft and only 10.5 stone must be seriously lacking in strength, unless; have you only got one leg perchance?
  • nolf wrote:
    Only 1 pint of milk?! :shock:

I have at least 2 pints a day, it's yummy, healthy (skimmed), cheap source of protein, and refreshing after a ride.

I have the same problem tho-
    6ft and 10.5 stone. And I eat such crap as well (student), not to mention drink (again student). I am starting to eat a lot more healthily though, I generally do the lot's of smaller meals (well they are normal sized meals but I just have more of them :)) as I have a small stomach but a large appetite.

Day plan roughly- Breakfast- 8:00ish, Cooked Breakfast 11ish, Lunch 1/2ish, Early Dinner 5:30/6ish, Late dinner 8/9ish. Snacking on bannans and apples and grapes.
    It's a lot, but atm im doing anywhere between 10-15 hours a week depending on what week it is.

Oh dear... by all means drink milk - I'll have the milk marketing board down on me if you don't :D

All I meant was that its easy to drink a lot (for all the good reaons listed above and elsewhere) but just don't overdo it to the detriment of other foodstuffs .e.g.

A pint (500mls)of semi skimmed will give you about 200kcals and leave you feeling quite full perhaps. A glass of milk (250 mls) and a 'healthy' sarnie with egg, fish or lean meat could give you at least twice the calories and a better mix of nutrients. Include a fruit and you'll could have eaten as many as 600 or 700 calories, perhaps more.
    2 of these per day will make up the calories burnt in training ( if you use as many as 800 per hour for 12 hours a week = 9600kcals =ca. 1400 per day above 'normal' needs.
    1400 kcals in milk terms is about 7 pints if I've done the maths right!
    The' mix' approach requires more planning and is more costly but it is also better nutritionally.

(I've assumed quite a high energy use - unusual for most people. Someone like me is hard pushed to burn 600 hour . At 6 hours a week thats just 500 extra a day - 2 pints of milk - if I work consistently hard for all six hours - which I probably don't :cry: ) :wink:

Anyways.....happt cycling and milk drinking!
  • I have a similar problem.

I am 5'9'' and struggle to get above 10stone. Great for climbing hills but I struggle against the wind on the flat, also, the wind goes right through me in cold weather. Wet Alpine or Pyrennean descents kill me.
    In hot weather I hardly ever sweat and the hotter it gets the better, and faster, I go. I never, repeat never, wear shorts in England without leg warmers. Col du Telegraphe 85 degrees brilliant. Enland 75 degrees = leggings

I do not necessarily want to put on weight but I would like to eat better to perform better and to stay warmer.

Any ideas out there?
  • BeaconRuth
    Brianh wrote:
    I am 5'9'' and struggle to get above 10stone. Great for climbing hills but I struggle against the wind on the flat..........
    I wouldn't equate your difficulty in riding into the wind with your weight. If you miraculously woke up 2 stones heavier tomorrow morning you would be no better at riding into the wind. Your sustainable aerobic power output is what affects your ability to ride into the wind and most people can dramatically change this with some (well, OK, a lot of) focused training.

Ruth
  • I wish I had your problem - I'm 6ft and 11.5stone despite riding 6 days a week/250+miles/16+hours and watching what I eat with no junk food, no drink and plenty of fruit and veg. Still all this and I can never lose any weight, I think thats more depressing than not gaining!

When I was weight training I ate a to a strict plan -6 small proper meals a day which included a good quality protein drink. This helped me bulk up pretty quickly in the lean muscle department so would suggest a light weight training and core strength programme into your cycling schedule.

Gats
  • I wish I had your problem - I'm 6ft and 11.5stone despite riding 6 days a week/250+miles/16+hours and watching what I eat with no junk food, no drink and plenty of fruit and veg. Still all this and I can never lose any weight, I think thats more depressing than not gaining!

When I was weight training I ate a to a strict plan -6 small proper meals a day which included a good quality protein drink. This helped me bulk up pretty quickly in the lean muscle department so would suggest a light weight training and core strength programme into your cycling schedule.

Gats

6ft and 11.5 stone and you are unhappy.

At my peak i was 12 stone 5 lbs (also 6ft tall). Going fast is all about power/weight ratio. At 10.5 stone there must be something lacking in the strength department.
  • Brianh wrote:
    I have a similar problem.

I am 5'9'' and struggle to get above 10stone. Great for climbing hills but I struggle against the wind on the flat, also, the wind goes right through me in cold weather. Wet Alpine or Pyrennean descents kill me.
    In hot weather I hardly ever sweat and the hotter it gets the better, and faster, I go. I never, repeat never, wear shorts in England without leg warmers. Col du Telegraphe 85 degrees brilliant. Enland 75 degrees = leggings

I do not necessarily want to put on weight but I would like to eat better to perform better and to stay warmer.

Any ideas out there?

Bearing in mind what Ruth says about weight on the flat not being an issue in itself you would probably benefit more than most from being well fuelled before and during rides. With little fat below your skin you will inevitably feel the cold and some of energy might even have to be directed to keeping your core /head warm (priority areas for body)
    So my tips would be - dress right (as you already do) concentrating on keeping torso/neck/head warmest. Om long rides eat something that gives quickish energy and eat something afterwards too - MILKY drink perhaps :wink:.If you really don't sweat much, gulping loads of sports drink probably doesn't feel warranted - try more concentrated food and water instead. (but be careful even 'none sweaters' do sweat and can get dehydrated!)

Although you say you don't want to go up in weight just half a kilo of 'blubber' might make a difference between really suffering and being ok on the bike. It wouldn't affect your climbing much. Putting it on might be difficult though as others have also found. (I could do it for you tho' take about 2 weeks... :cry:
    Is your health suffering otherwise - lots of colds, tired etc.This might suggest you are a bit too thin. If you really do eat a lot , do little and still cant go up you might (only might) have an over active thyroid, which if all else fails might be worth checking.
    Good luck.... :)
  • 6ft and 11.5 stone and you are unhappy.

damn right I'm unhappy. doing all this riding and eating naff all and still not losing weight. I know its not all abouyt that cos I love being on my bike but seriously - it really busts my hump :evil:

Gats
  • Thank you for all the comments and advice.
    I certainly have noticed that I need to eat more on cold days and it does help. One of my problems is that I am not really interested in food. My favorite, keep your steaks etc, give me Semolina every time.

The power training is another problem. As a kid I had a problem with my legs and I am definitely too conservative with my training. I always have loads in hand, probably why I hardly ever sweat, I am afraid too get to close to my limits.

I have done some very hard rides though, 6 Etapes, all the Classics in Belgium French and Holland plus 3 PBP's but I know something does go wrong when it is cold. Everything slows down. Perhaps it is a mental thing but on a recent Audax ride to Dungerness I almost came to a dead stop with the cold wind off the sea.

This winter, after your advice, I am going to look into doing some circuit training and research concentrated food supplements.
  • Brianh wrote:
    Thank you for all the comments and advice.
    I certainly have noticed that I need to eat more on cold days and it does help. One of my problems is that I am not really interested in food. My favorite, keep your steaks etc, give me Semolina every time.

The power training is another problem. As a kid I had a problem with my legs and I am definitely too conservative with my training. I always have loads in hand, probably why I hardly ever sweat, I am afraid too get to close to my limits.

I have done some very hard rides though, 6 Etapes, all the Classics in Belgium French and Holland plus 3 PBP's but I know something does go wrong when it is cold. Everything slows down. Perhaps it is a mental thing but on a recent Audax ride to Dungerness I almost came to a dead stop with the cold wind off the sea.

This winter, after your advice, I am going to look into doing some circuit training and research concentrated food supplements.

Silly q maybe - but why circuit training? Clearly being conservative means you have learnt to pace yourself - a good trick to have! Cold /hypothermia will affect you physically. Chemical reactions (inc. those in the body) go slower when they are cold but boosting your food and dressing to keep your vital organs (heart/guts/brain etc) toasty will help.

eating real food is probably better than packets of powder but perhasp convenience will outweigh this on occasions. Good luck and get in touch if you need more help!
  • Hell after reading this i think i've got a weight problem!

All these 6ft plus under 11.5 stones!

I'm 5ft 8in and in july this year i was 12 stone 10ib, but after training with weights and doing lots of Mountain biking i'm down to 12st 2lb, i wouldn't want to go under 12st as i'm reasonably fit aerobically and train alot doing climbs and reasonably strong.

What is deemed as being to heavy? i have 31 inch waist and 41 inch chest so don't see myself as being fat!?
  • timestar
    timestar Posts: 226
    Some really good diet points made here, although some need a bit of qualifying I think. Good diet is not rocket science - nothing too much of one thing, eat from a variety of food groups, keep an eye of ammount of salt and saturated fat. I know everyone goes on about 5 fruit.veg' a day (I agree with the principle) - but where exactly did 5 come from? Why not 4 or 6? Also not convinced of why 1 apple is 1 portion, but 2 apples is still 1 portion. Milk is good for you - but depends on what kind of milk. Full fat is not a good idea, semi skimmed is better, and skimmed even better. Although a lot now recommend rice milk as the ultimate healthy milk. I did try rice milk and it's like white water!
    In high mileage periods I also struggle to keep weight on and also find that "grazing" throughout the day rather than big meals helps.
  • 5 a day is nonsense! I have anywhere between 6 and 12 I reckon Its the ultimate super snack food. Wish I was eligible for that 180 a week for fruit and veg thatd be awesome!

Nice clarification though. there's so much stuff in the media now about what is and isnt good for you and what is deemed good for you one day is deemed bad the next. Eat well ride hard.

Gats
  • 5 a day is nonsense! I have anywhere between 6 and 12 I reckon Its the ultimate super snack food. Wish I was eligible for that 180 a week for fruit and veg thatd be awesome!

Nice clarification though. there's so much stuff in the media now about what is and isnt good for you and what is deemed good for you one day is deemed bad the next. Eat well ride hard.

Gats

The five a day is an aim for people who are eating unhealthily at the moment! Many people (few of whom find there way to this forum) eat any friut/veg at all.

About 4-500grams fruit AND veg not including potatoes (which 'count' as starch). Quite a struggle for my teenage kids and most other people I know, inc. myself, tho' some days I get close!
    That's 14 kgs of fruit & veg I'd have to lug home every weekly shop.
    Well done all of you eating their 5 a day or more :) but if you're snacking and feeling full on lettuce and carrots to the detriment of more carb/protein/fat rich foods, don't be surprised if you can't go up in weight - which is what the original Q was!:)
  • 320DMsport wrote:
    Hell after reading this i think i've got a weight problem!

I'm 5ft 8in and in july this year i was 12 stone 10ib, but after training with weights and doing lots of Mountain biking i'm down to 12st 2lb, i wouldn't want to go under 12st as i'm reasonably fit aerobically and train alot doing climbs and reasonably strong.

What is deemed as being to heavy? i have 31 inch waist and 41 inch chest so don't see myself as being fat!?

I must say 320DM it's nice to hear someone say they're happy with their weight on the forum - I was starting to think I was a bit odd being perfectly content at 6ft and 13 stone!

I'm in no way knocking those that are using cycling to get down to a 'healthy' weight - good on you and best of luck - but to be 6ft/11.5 stone and unhappy about your weight - that's a bit worrying, no?
  • Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    5 a day is nonsense! I have anywhere between 6 and 12 I reckon Its the ultimate super snack food. Wish I was eligible for that 180 a week for fruit and veg thatd be awesome!

Gats
    On a recent check-up at the docs I mentioned improving my diet and was told that the 'real' recommendation was 8 portions of fruit and veg / day. The reason they say 5 is because they reckon that 8 will put people off! So, you're spot on with 6-12.
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • nasahapley wrote:
    320DMsport wrote:
    Hell after reading this i think i've got a weight problem!

I must say 320DM it's nice to hear someone say they're happy with their weight on the forum - I was starting to think I was a bit odd being perfectly content at 6ft and 13 stone!

I'm in no way knocking those that are using cycling to get down to a 'healthy' weight - good on you and best of luck - but to be 6ft/11.5 stone and unhappy about your weight - that's a bit worrying, no?

Without wanting to get too personal the 6ft11.5 stone person has themselves aired what might kindly be called 'weight issues' on this forum previously to the great concern of other contributors, and yes, frankly it is a bit worrying but nothing like the posts that used to put up by the same person.
    Look after yourself Gats. :) and us lot must just learn to be content with what we are - healthy active people who like cycling but are just less skinny than some!:D
  • BeaconRuth
    timestar wrote:
    I know everyone goes on about 5 fruit.veg' a day (I agree with the principle) - but where exactly did 5 come from? Why not 4 or 6? Also not convinced of why 1 apple is 1 portion, but 2 apples is still 1 portion.
    I think the rule-makers' intention was to persuade people to consume a variety of fruit and veg, so that their chances of taking in a good range of micronutrients is increased. By the same logic I think it's fair to say that having the same selection of fruit and veg every day is not a great idea either. Variety variety variety should be the mantra, though I struggle with that as I'm very much a creature of habit.

Ruth