Please advise on best way to enter Etape 2008

124»

Comments

• popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    Bleeding nora - £50 each they would have charged. I'm going to get a racing licence instead.
  • I know you dont need a medical certificate if you produce a racing license but I would of thought that means to get racing license it is assumed you have already had a medical
  • Rich.H
    Rich.H Posts: 443
    Popette

I am sure you need to be a cycling club member to apply for a licence. In terms of the timing, the licence is returned to you via your club secretary....not sure by what date you have to return your entry form....?

Rich
  • popette
    Rich.H wrote:
    Popette

I am sure you need to be a cycling club member to apply for a licence. In terms of the timing, the licence is returned to you via your club secretary....not sure by what date you have to return your entry form....?

Rich
    it said something about that on the form but I left it blank :roll: as I'm not a member of a club. The entry completed with those club fields blank so either I don't need to be in a club or the online entry isn't sophisticated enough to tell me I've made an error. I have emailed and called British Cycling separately ( they didn't mention needing to belong to a club and said they would email me a soft copy of the licence). I need to return the entry form by the 31st of Jan.
    I think I'd better go back and read those terms and conditions that I ticked without reading :roll:
  • popette
    btw, I'm rolling my eyes at myself :) not you Rich H
  • Rich.H
    Rich.H Posts: 443
    Well, I may have it wrong - didn't mean to panic you!! As you say, as it was not a mandatory field you should be okay.

Good luck!!

Rich
  • I know you can renew your membership and licence over the phone, then as already mentioned the very helpful people at BC will email a copy. I can't remember what happened when I originally joined, but I know I didn't have a medical and I've never been a member of a club.
  • popette
    yes, I am now a member and have a licence so that worked out well. Phew.
  • pedylan
    pedylan Posts: 768
    So what does a license prove apart from the fact that the holder can operate a computer?

:shock:

Having said that I don't see my medical as proof I'm going to see the summit of Hautacam. :)
    Where the neon madmen climb
  • MegaCycle
    MegaCycle Posts: 236
    I have just entered for 2008 and Graham Baxter still has places left.
  • popette
    pedylan wrote:
    So what does a license prove apart from the fact that the holder can operate a computer?

:shock:

Having said that I don't see my medical as proof I'm going to see the summit of Hautacam. :)

agree and agree :D
  • MegaCycle
    popette wrote:
    Oh, I think I'm going to need a new bike as well. I like the look of the specialized roubaix. They've got some in my frame size on sale in Evans. I can't afford another expense right now though so I'll just have to hope that it doesn't get sold yet.

I bought a Roubaix Expert last Summer and am taking it to this year's Etape. Wonderful bike - perfect for a sportive like this.

Did you get one?
  • MegaCycle
    popette wrote:
    The receptionist at my surgery just got in a right tizzy about whether I'd need an apointment or not, "and you do know you're going to be charged for this, don't you??"
    I've left the forms with them and need to ring back next week to see how they're going to handle it.

What did your Dr do Pedylan?

They charged you?! That's terrible. My GP did it free.
  • popette
    MegaCycle wrote:
    popette wrote:
    The receptionist at my surgery just got in a right tizzy about whether I'd need an apointment or not, "and you do know you're going to be charged for this, don't you??"
    I've left the forms with them and need to ring back next week to see how they're going to handle it.

What did your Dr do Pedylan?

They charged you?! That's terrible. My GP did it free.

Hi MegaCycle - they didn't charge me in the end as I went a different route and got a racing licence. (Imagine that - little old me with a racing licence 8) ) It would have been £50 for the medical or £60 for the British Cycling membership and licence so I went for the latter, figuring that I'd be putting a bit of cash into cycling and would get some of the additional benefits of membership such as insurance.

I haven't got a new bike yet - I just can't decide what to get.
  • MegaCycle
    yes, I got a racing licence too (and that's probably even more hard to imagine than it is for you, I am sure!). Makes me feel very cool though, so that's no doubt worth it.

Believe me, the Spesh Roubaix is a dreamy bike. And the 2008 model (for which I paid £2k) is now down to £1600 at most places.

This will be my first Etape and I am excited and terrified in equal measure, having done nothing remotely like this before!
  • popette
    MegaCycle wrote:
    yes, I got a racing licence too (and that's probably even more hard to imagine than it is for you, I am sure!). Makes me feel very cool though, so that's no doubt worth it.

Believe me, the Spesh Roubaix is a dreamy bike. And the 2008 model (for which I paid £2k) is now down to £1600 at most places.
    This will be my first Etape and I am excited and terrified in equal measure, having done nothing remotely like this before!

The expert is the one I would be interested in - where have you seen it for £1600?
    I know just what you mean about being excited and terrified. I have some rides where I come back thinking "yes I can do this" and others, where I'm struggling up long drags of 4% when I think "what I have done???" There is no way I'm getting on that broom wagon.
  • pmanley
    pmanley Posts: 39
    I live in France now and entered the 2007 etape using the application form in Velo magazine. One thing that you guys (and girls) in the UK should be aware of is that French entries using this form need to be accompanied by a doctor's certificate or a French cycle racing license (that has already required the medical certificate).
    Regards
    Peter Manley
    Petites Pyrénées Couladère
  • I entered through bikestyletours. Got my doctor to stamp the application form. There was no fee, just a weird talking-to about abusing performance enhancing drugs. :roll: