Please advise on best way to enter Etape 2008

popette
popette Posts: 2,089
Hi,
I was planning to do this in 2009 but now my husband has seen that it has tourmalet in it, he says I've got to get my skates on and book it for next year.
Does anyone have any advice for how to go about doing this? What do you think about Graham Baxter tours? Are there any other companies offering packages for the etape? Have you ever organised your own entry to the etape?
The route is only just announced - how quickly does it get booked up?
Any advise would be so gratefully received. Ah, I'm going to have to change my training plan - rapid.
thanks very much
Popette :)

Comments

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,452
    I think the only UK option now is with Graham Baxters as I believe wheel2wheel have gone bust and Sports Tour International have merged with Sporting Tours (Baxters). Added later: wheel2wheel are part of Sports Tours International so it's your only choice now!

I've done trips with Sporting Tours but never done the Etape with them. The organisation is generally okay but don't expect a high level of service, i.e. occasionally you may need to sort out something yourself.

I believe the Etape trips sell out very quickly so if you do want to do it I'd call them in the next day or so.

I can see why you are attracted to it though - next year's route looks like a very good one with one legendary Tour climb in it too.
  • Try Cyclomundo.com. they are official and do take Brits. Bruno's yer man to talk too. We've been with them for last 2 Etapes, and were ok. (I'm not doing 2008 for various reasons)
  • pedylan
    pedylan Posts: 768
    If you don;t have a French address you can use then entry forn in Velo is no go. For Brits then using the approved package "partners" is the best option. You can buy entry only but they may all be gone, this leaves accommodation/transfer ets packages.

I'd also recommend Cyclomundo. I pre registered with them and have had my entry only place confirmed. I suspect they may only have package places left but contact Bruno at cyclomundo.com (www.cyclomundo.com) for details if this is how you want to enter.

I'm also thinking about a training camp with them. I bought entry only with them for the Etape Legende and they were fine.
    Where the neon madmen climb
  • popette
    I have a friend in france, would they be able to apply for me or does it have to be my own personal address? Having never gone abroad with my bike before, I'm not sure i'd be too confident about organising it for myself until I've been out there and seen what happens. I've left my email with cyclomundo anyway and will give Graham Baxters a call today as well.
    Thanks for your replies guys
  • pedylan
    popette wrote:
    I have a friend in france, would they be able to apply for me or does it have to be my own personal address? Having never gone abroad with my bike before, I'm not sure i'd be too confident about organising it for myself until I've been out there and seen what happens. I've left my email with cyclomundo anyway and will give Graham Baxters a call today as well.
    Thanks for your replies guys

Yes, your friend can apply (must use YOUR name) for you by completing the application form in Velo magazine, completing it for your name and their address. They'll have to be quick though. All correspondence would then be sent to you at their address. This is a fairly oft used "workaround".

If you are lucky then this is the cheapest entry only. But if you're not confident doing it solo then a supported package which collects you from the airport, gets you to the start and meets you at the finish (all going well!) would seem best. I met up with a guy at the Etape Legende who went for this option with Graham Baxter and he seemed to think it was well organised. I'd driven to Strasbourg on an entry only so he did pay quite a bit more for the backup option.
  • popette
    i actually hate flying so driving sounds great but it's WAAAAAY down south isn't it and I'm right oop north. wondering which would have the least affect on my cycling - valium or alcohol? Actually, I just need to get over it and get on a bloody plane.
  • pedylan
    Yes it is quite far south - any further and you'd be in Spain. :wink:

We used to do business in the region south of Bordeaux and down to Pau. From N. England, Pau is over 900 miles. When we drove it we overnighted around Tours or Poitiers, hence it was a 24 hour door to door. (and back again) Driving wouldn't therefore be my first choice unless you wanted to create a 2000 mile round trip holiday in France with the Etape as your highlight.
  • clanton
    clanton Posts: 1,289
    French Cycling Holidays do Etape packages too - I used them last year and they were fine.
  • Rich.H
    Rich.H Posts: 443
    Well, I was really hoping the Etape would be back in the Alps this year for my first attempt but after my initial disappointment on seeing the route, I am still interested in taking part. I have a reserved entry only place through Cyclomundo - how reliable are they? I have until Nov 5th to confirm....I am still uncertain what to do travel / accomodation wise though...i'll be interested to hear what you end up doing in this regard Popette.....

Cheers

Rich
  • daowned
    daowned Posts: 414
    We plan to drive down from Glasgow to Dover and stay overnight, the next day once in Calais we plan to drive to Pau. It is quite a drive to get to Pau I know but a better/cheaper option than flying.

Popette, we are still waiting on our tour operator to contact us about a package but are confident on getting something before July 2008 but will be happy when its confirmed.

It will be a rather expensive trip and the logistics aren't the best for us but its a one off experience for us having never been to France never mind doing the L'Etape du Tour.

We have still to work out what stage we will watch for the day after returning to Calais from Pau.

Go ahead and book why wait next year if your ready now, good luck.

http://etapedutour2008.blogspot.com/
  • popette
    My husband has now said he wants to drive it - fine by me. I think we'll stop somewhere in france - hopefully somewhere with lovely food for top quality carb loading :)

When I spoke to Graham Baxter's they said that there were 400 entry only places and probably all used up and then a further 600 places with packages. The guy said to keep watching the website and to call next week to book the place.

I too was expecting it to be alps this year so it was a bit of a surprise to see it down in the pyrenees again. As Andyp says, it has a legendary tour climb in it so well worth going for it.

I'll keep you posted on how I get on next week
  • Ken Night
    Ken Night Posts: 2,005
    If driving, camping at Tours is great-and you're not too far away from the Tour time trial at Cholet on the Tuesday
    “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best..." Ernest Hemingway
  • pedylan
    The various travel options are relatively easily decided upon, what I've been puzzling over is the arrangements at the end.

Hautacam is a mountain with one road up it. So on a closed road how are drivers supporting riders going to get to the end to be there when their loved one falls over the line?

When I did the Legende there was a separate signed route for drivers taking an alternative route. This time - no alternative route. I know you can leave the car and get coached back on the Saturday but that doesn't get supporters to the end.

Anyone enlighten me?
  • Ken Night
    pedylan wrote:
    So on a closed road how are drivers supporting riders going to get to the end to be there when their loved one falls over the line?

......Anyone enlighten me?

There will be buses the night before, from Hautacam to Pau, enabling you to drive over and leave your car there-at the bottom probably

The road up the Hautacam, will be closed around 11am, so "loved ones" will have to get over quickly. Last year, many "loved ones" were too late to get up Alpe D'Huez-as there were traffic jams on the country roads as so many of them tried to get there from Gap
    “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best..." Ernest Hemingway
  • Can someone possibly give me an idea of costs for the various Graham Baxter packages, can't seem to find them on the website.

Many thanks.
  • richa
    richa Posts: 1,632
    Assume they will be similarily priced to French Cycling Holidays

3 night standard package sharing in twin accomodation: £565 per person

[Staying in 3* accomodation on a half board basis (dinner, bed and breakfast) with transfers to and from airport/railway station, transfers to and from start village for registration and to race sart and from race finish.]
    Rich
  • popette
    when I spoke to them (GB) they hadn't yet finalised package prices but they told me that last year they did a 3 night package in a 4* deluxe hotel for around £550. I've rarely get nights away from my children so if I'm going, I want a bit of luxury as well. Not sure how luxury it will be though.

HTH

Next thing, I need to start blogging all this don't I?
  • Dave L
    Dave L Posts: 251
    Can someone possibly give me an idea of costs for the various Graham Baxter packages, can't seem to find them on the website.

Many thanks.
    Details and prices are going on the site November 5th.
    Dave
  • Ken Night
    popette wrote:
    when I spoke to them (GB) they hadn't yet finalised package prices but they told me that last year they did a 3 night package in a 4* deluxe hotel for around £550. I've rarely get nights away from my children so if I'm going, I want a bit of luxury as well. Not sure how luxury it will be though.

HTH

Next thing, I need to start blogging all this don't I?

that would be for us.... :D , as well as for you

For yourself, you need to start a training diary-setting some goals, breaking it down week by week, etc

I can let you have a pro forma. PM me if you want it
  • popette
    Hi Ken,

Just sent you a pm. Didn't even realise that facility was there and that I had messages in my inbox!

I do have an excel sheet based on the cycling training bible methodology. At the moment I'm doing rides around 30-50 miles at the weekend and one or two shorter ones in the week. I don't have a specific purpose for each session at the moment - just getting out and enjoying the autumn. Next week I'm away and then I'm knuckling down big time. I went out last night and feel a bit ropey today so haven't been out on the bike - that kind of nonsense will surely stop. I've been eating comfort food all day (chinese takeaway should arrive soon) so that's not helping my power to weight ratio at all.

I think the blog would help me to stick to my plan as I would rather post about successes and goals acheived than about missed sessions and perceived failures. It might be a bit dull though :)

can you recommend a blog site to use?
    ta x
  • richa
    popette wrote:
    can you recommend a blog site to use?
    I can...
    Rich
  • popette
    ok, I've got an empty blog. I'll tell you the address when there's something to see.

I've provisionally booked a chalet in Bourg D’Oisans to do some hard training up some legendary climbs in first week of June. Ken, you'll have to give me some routes out of Bourg D’Oisans and up those climbs.

I'm all set to book a place on the etape this week as soon as packages are advertised.

Easy bits done. Now comes the hard training. I'm looking forward to the challenge of it.

Oh, I think I'm going to need a new bike as well. I like the look of the specialized roubaix. They've got some in my frame size on sale in Evans. I can't afford another expense right now though so I'll just have to hope that it doesn't get sold yet.

A question: what gearing do you recommend?

thanks for listening guys :)
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,452
    popette wrote:
    A question: what gearing do you recommend?
    It depends on your preferences and riding style but as an absolute minimum I'd recommend a compact chainset, i.e. 50/36 or 50/34, and at least a 26 sprocket as the largest (for the smallest gear) on the back.

You may want a triple but they are a bit like Marmite, i.e. you either love them or hate them. I'm in the latter camp as I think they are a pain to keep adjusted and, unless you're touring with luggage, give you too many low end gears you'll never use.
  • popette
    I currently have a giant SCR 3.0 - it's got a triple and I can't remember the exact configuration but in gear inches the lowest is 31. The roubaix has a compact 50/34 with a 27 on the back. In gear inches it's 34 so not too big a difference from my triple.

TBH, on some of the hills I've been on in north wales and around macclesfield, I have been on the lowest possible gear and still been trying to change down because I've found it hard. Those were bloody steep hills though.

Another question: are you told in advance the cut off times? I must not get swept up by the broom wagon. :roll:
  • danseur
    danseur Posts: 70
    I did the Etape this year on a compact 50/34 with a 25 tooth lowest rear sprocket. My brother did it on a 50/34 and 26 and my other brother did it on a triple with something that looked like a dinner plate on the back.

We all felt like we were going to die going up the Col de Port des Bales and the Peyresourde and we all had massive grins as we crossed the line together.

The hills are not all that steep but they are very long. You need to have a bottom gear that you can sit in for a long time and twiddle your way up the hills because it may well take you two hours to do the big climbs. Take what you are comfortable with and are used to but I'm sure that the 50/34 and 27 combo will be fine.[/b]
  • richa
    I would suggest that unless you are confident about the Pyreneen climbs you should be looking at <33 inches.

I opted for 31.5 inches (30 with 12-25) and was thankful.

Therefore I would recommend a tripple.
    Rich
  • popette
    Rich, I'm just looking at your blog and I noticed that you've got a specialized. Did you have to make special arrangements to get your triple? I would prefer a triple but the shop I'm looking at only seems to offer the specialized roubaix with a compact.
  • rendo
    rendo Posts: 194
    daowned

i have an entry only spot reserved with cyclomundo. i'm surprised you are opting to drive to dover. have you tried the rosyth ferry. we drove to tours using this route last year and it is a great service if a little pricey. i guess if you are driving on your own or with other adults it may not be to bad, but i plan to make this part of our family holiday and drive to pau from zeebrugge.

anyway, would be nice to hear from you if you get an entry, likewise from any other entrants in glasgow
  • richa
    popette wrote:
    Rich, I'm just looking at your blog and I noticed that you've got a specialized. Did you have to make special arrangements to get your triple? I would prefer a triple but the shop I'm looking at only seems to offer the specialized roubaix with a compact.
    Last year the Specialized Allez range came with a tripple as an option.

I'm sure you could have it changed but they'll probably charge. If you get the compact (and incidentally if I buy a new bike for this season then I'll be getting a compact) then get a 27 on the back.
    Rich