1st year of winter training!!! HELP!!!

2»

Comments

• Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    chrisw12 wrote:
    all I'll hear is 'take it easy',' it's only October', 'you'll be fecked by March.'
    Probably said by guys who've just finished a long hard race season and don't want to have a hard time from some newbies who are full of misplaced enthusiasm for the new season :lol: - in which case, maybe they are the ones who should do steady training on their own and leave the organised group training rides (races) to the keen ones - but without the "wise heads" there, would you learn anything new?
  • Toks
    Toks Posts: 1,143
    Bronzie wrote:
    chrisw12 wrote:
    all I'll hear is 'take it easy',' it's only October', 'you'll be fecked by March.'
    Probably said by guys who've just finished a long hard race season and don't want to have a hard time from some newbies who are full of misplaced enthusiasm for the new season :lol: - in which case, maybe they are the ones who should do steady training on their own and leave the organised group training rides (races) to the keen ones - but without the "wise heads" there, would you learn anything new?
    Here here well said. i remember being told three years ago to spin a very low gear till at least January/Feb. That was three months of riding quite slowly :x . By the time I started racing in March I was frustrated at how my fitness levels didn't appear any better than when I started in October...Now of course you can understand if you've hammered yourself silly all season that a period of slow speed/low intensity riding would help refresh the batteries. But lets be honest if you've only done a 3 or 4 cyclosportivs and a couple of races all season following the 'slow and low' training plan for three-four months could possibly be a complete waste of time.
  • BeaconRuth
    BeaconRuth Posts: 2,086
    chrisw12 wrote:
    .............you've got to have hard sessions even this time of year imo.
    Why have you got to?

Ruth
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    My advice has been interpreted in the wrong may, I don't mean to sound snooty either.

Just wanted to add a different voice saying that in order to get fit for racing in March, or for the Marmotte next July, you don't have to start today.

Nothing wrong with riding as long as you can and as fast as you can right now, my point was that if it's raining tomorrow you don't have to follow the training plan to ride 3hrs at 70% MHR, or if there's a nice slice of cake within range, eat it! In other words, the work done today won't pay dividends next July, so aim to enjoy the riding for the immediate pleasure (and this can include fast rides, pottering is boring etc).
  • chrisw12
    chrisw12 Posts: 1,246
    BeaconRuth wrote:
    chrisw12 wrote:
    Why have you got to?

Ruth

Wel I've got to otherwise I get very bored.

Anyway, what's wrong with starting early with hard sessions?
  • BeaconRuth
    BeaconRuth Posts: 2,086
    chrisw12 wrote:
    Few things are always wrong for everybody, so I'm not sure it's wise to get into a debate over it.

I'm one of those people who avoids painful training unless it's absolutely necessary. So for me, hard sessions (of whatever definition) are not on the agenda just now. (Thank goodness :D )

Ruth
  • chrisw12 wrote:
    BeaconRuth wrote:
    chrisw12 wrote:
    Why have you got to?

Ruth

Wel I've got to otherwise I get very bored.

see you at Maindy track tomorrow night then Chris! :wink:
  • MartinL
    MartinL Posts: 102
    is Wednesday night @ Maindy for road bikes? Not that I'll be there, I much prefer the warm surroundings of the 'drome on a Thursday afternoon 8)
  • chrisw12
    chrisw12 Posts: 1,246
    Yes it is.
  • If it's your 1st Year of Winter Training then I would aim to get out on the bike as often as you can. Unless you are 100% dedicated then you will be affected by bad weather conditions. Going out hard on icy roads and freezing temperatures won't do you a lot of good, but rain and wind is OK.

Substituting something else in lthe warm in lieu of road training in icy temperatures ris a good habit. Turbo, Rollers and yes (IMO) some gym work are all good things to do. Look to incorporate as many hills as you can in your ride. They don't have to be the steepest and the longest but enough to get you breathing hard.

IMO use low gears and spin to improve your technique. To get good speed try and spin 100rpm or more in 42/16 or 39/15 on the flattish bits and 42/17 or 39/16 on the drags and climbs. In the winter months this will give you a good workout.

Come the spring then intervals will improve your speed.
  • The velodrome is good for Friday nights vets session. Trouble is its £12 a session for me as I dont own my own track bike. Thats the attraction of maindy - use your road bike