Blean, near Canterbury

13»

Comments

• RussAlf
    RussAlf Posts: 706
    Hi guys,

My Girlfreind is in her last year at Canterbury Uni and it seems that this thursday ive got the chance to bring my bike along with me and have a day to ride. I normally ride around the Dorking way or over at Bedgebury.

Ive read this post and ive searched the forum but ive still got some questions to ask im afraid.

Parking? is the best place to begin and park at the RSPB Car park in Rough Common?

Is the single Track obvious to find or am i going to have to go looking for it? Also ive seen there is BW scattered around the area and Public footpaths, is there any distinctive signs or directions thats going to get me back to the car park once im out in the thick of it?

Ive been bored and work so ive made myself up a OS map of the area using the OS map website, copied the sections then stuck them all together to make one big one! genious huh! :lol:

Blean1-vi.jpg
    Larger view here:
    http://images30.fotki.com/v484/filek98f/7d0f6/8/886335/3612489/Blean1.jpg

Im going to try and merge over the gps route that Lost time kindly put up for us over the map so i have a rough idea of where to head for.

Thanks

Russell
  • RussAlf
    Rough attempt at overlaying Lost times route
    Blean2-vi.jpg
  • lost-time
    lost-time Posts: 549
    There's quite a bit of singletrack on my route but it's not that easy to follow via a map. This is because there is quite a network of paths that criss-cross each other so it's quite easy to take a wrong turn and therefore need to doubleback on yourself. Fairly central to the woods running from the carpark at Rough Common (122595) to Denstrude farm (097611) (I think, if I've done my gridref right......) is a bridleway. If you get lost you can easily get back to the carpark by joining this. Just explore but be prepared for a little 'exploration'!
  • RussAlf
    Thanks mate, covered a total of 17 miles around. Have to say your totally right about all the paths criss-crossing each other! Somehow out of pure useless sense of direction i managed to get back to where i started within in only 5 minutes of riding :lol: and i did this twice in a row :lol: Finally got my bearings and found loads of decent single track but as you say matching them up is half the challenege, managed to figure the rough where abouts of everything in the end and had a really good ride. Will definately be going back again soon.

Russ
  • impished
    impished Posts: 1,092
    Nice to see you had a good time Russalf... 8)

I think one of the best things about Blean is the fact that you have to string bits together. That way you can have a different ride whenever I feel like it. :P
  • pittpony
    pittpony Posts: 1,057
    Hi all,

Just gauging interest at the moment but I’m hoping to have some time on Saturday morning (3rd Nov) to have a pedal over at Blean. Anyone who wants to join me (and show me a good route :wink: ) is more than welcome! It’ll have to be fairly early but it sounds like that suits most of you guys OK

Cheers

Nick
  • impished
    impished Posts: 1,092
    Hmm...

I should be good-to-go on Saturday...
    I'll check that the boss hasn't booked me for chrimbo shopping 1st :roll: :wink:

I'd been off the bike for a couple of weeks due to dark/cold/d.i.y. but went to Blean yesterday and ended the ride with 17 miles on the clock and a stoopid grin on me face :P :shock:

S'funny how I always feel so fit and fast when I'm riding on my own. :oops:
    I wonder if Father Christmas would like to buy me some decent bike lights this year! :?
  • Hi guys.

Looks like a ride on sunday 11th at Blean but at 08:30. I'm planning on riding with Kent-trails from Blean at 09:30 which is a little later (easier to sort stuff out for the ride!) so if anyone fancies doing that instead you're more than welcome.

Have fun whichever path you choose!

Paul