Your Longest Ride

Comments

• Dayvo
    Dayvo Posts: 1,882
    130 km in one day, but over a 49-day period (including five rest days) managed approx. 4,000 km, averaging ca. 100 km a day.

I get knocked down . . . but I get up again . . .
    I get knocked down . . . but I get up again . . .
  • Aidocp
    Aidocp Posts: 868
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by jibi</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Bigtallfatbloke</i>

well mine is a pathetic 60km but I am proud of that, given that only 2 moinths ago I couldn't even walk more than 200metres without a rest[:I].

Gravity sucks
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    You would love the story about my friend Tom in America

Here before and after
    http://murl.se/26051

Incredible story
    youtube
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOacnK_JJoA

george

2 Bikes
    http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/imjibi/Bikes

What a story [:0], Hats off to the bloke

If I had a baby elephant, who would take it for walks?
  • Don't laugh but 10 miles tonight [:(][:D][:D]
    Ain't been on a bike for 14 years, bought one on Friday, went round the block and was bliddy knackered, rained all weekend so finally got out tonight and did 10 miles [:D]
    Shattered when I got in but I feel great now !!!
  • Dave L
    Dave L Posts: 251
    Racing: 255+ miles in a 12hr time trial years ago.
    Non Racing: 186 miles round the Vale of York / North Humberside training for said time trial.

<hr noshade size="1">Some of my web sites....
    <font size="1">Cycle Racing pics from the 90's

Lake District & Yorkshire Dales landscape photos

Lake District & Yorkshire Dales wallpaper & screensavers</font id="size1">
    Dave
  • mercurykev
    mercurykev Posts: 264
    I began commuting, 6 miles each way, into work last year. Someone suggested doing the Glasgow to Edinburgh bike ride (47 Miles) and in my head I thought that I was signing up for a massive endurance event. I finished it in 3 hours and realised that I hadn't even pushed myself.

I went out with our local CTC group for a Saturday 60 miles and was humbled by a 73 year old woman who had done a century the day before and this was her 3rd run of the week. She said the trick is making sure you have time and plenty of food.
  • jay_clock
    jay_clock Posts: 2,708
    well done Ainsley. If someone can do 50 miles before brekkie, then it becomes second nature. your 10 miles is to be applauded. Go out again soon, but do LESS. maybe 2-3 miles. Then the next time 4-5. You will not overdo it, and will ease your way back in

Jay

my trip round Corsica: http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/corsica
  • ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    My longest ride was 61 miles a couple of years ago, which I was pleased about at the time.

I hope to go further some day this summer. I reckon I could maybe do 70 or 80 at a push. Doubt if my old legs would carry me much further than that!
  • colsibob
    colsibob Posts: 57
    A very poultry 25 miles.

Only just taken up cycing though and it was on a MTB over the Buxton Hills.

Doing C2C next year to tacke the big 40years mid life etc
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    Done quite a few 100 mile plus efforts but the most I have done is 114 in the Fred Whitten this year. I think that sort of distance no matter what the terrain is enough for me.

The flatter the route you just go faster. Cyclists are crazy.

Brian B.
    Brian B.
  • Hi Jibi,

I watched the video..wow...truely inspirational. It takes guts and determination and a degree of (dare I say) desperation to claim ones life back like that. What a Guy[8D][8D][8D]

...good music as well[:)].

Gravity sucks
    Gravity sucks
  • h4ydn
    h4ydn Posts: 12
    I did 37.4 miles today, furthest so far.
    trying to increase by a few miles each time :)
  • insomniboy
    insomniboy Posts: 30
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by JWSurrey</i>

Dom, was thinking about doing Guildford to Bournemouth / Poole / Wimborne.
    Got a rought route outline? (assuming you're heading the same way).

I figure it's to aim for Winchester, but not too sure thereafter.

I'm trying to sort myself out for a South London to Poole (Parkstone) ride some time, found a nice route from here to Southampton but not sorted the next leg, or looked for a more direct route. Would also be interesting in seeing how someone else has done it.

I'm not doing laps, I'm looking for the way out.
    I\'m not doing laps, I\'m looking for the way out.
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    In one day, 225 km/140 miles in a cyclosportive crossing back and forth in the Vosges border country between Alsace (France) and Rheinland-Pfalz/Palatinate (Germany).

Over a week, about 900 km/560 miles covering as many Pyrenees's passes as possible (Tourmalet, Aspin, etc).
  • loobster
    loobster Posts: 62
    About 65 miles. I'd love to get 80-100 but I'm gonna need to do a lot more training before I can get 100.

Check my bands page:

www.myspace.com/arktorusrann

Updates soon.
  • Tourist Tony
    Tourist Tony Posts: 8,628
    I will add to the thing about Audax to mention the BPs. which are shorter distances (50 or 100km) run under the same rules. There are also similar events such as the Isle of Wight Randonnee, with a choice of about 50km and a bit over 100km.
    Distance is something to move up to. The important thing is riding. Your real opponent, for everyone but all-out racers, is yourself.
    If you are out on a bike, at whatever distance, then chapeau.

If I had a stalker, I would hug it and kiss it and call it George...or Dick
    If I had a stalker, I would hug it and kiss it and call it George...or Dick
    http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=3 ... =3244&v=5K
  • jay_clock
    jay_clock Posts: 2,708
    I quite often cycle from Chandlers Ford to Poole.

get onto A35 from Southampton (not as bad as it looks)

Through Lyndhurst

After Lyndhurst, about 2-3 ,miles then right to Burley, Bransgore and Sopley. Head down through Christchurch

my trip round Corsica: http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/corsica
  • Longest ride I did was 127 miles. Took me almost 8 hours though.

http://lifeonthetube.blogspot.com/
  • [:)]Some cracking distances here, and the times[:0]!

My longest is about 55miles give or take a couple. With 3 kids and working for myself it's spare time that now holds me back. I think 70-80 is now within my grasp on day trip out. A year ago I wouldn't have been able to do 5 miles.

I had a mental block about getting back from Skipton, 20 miles away, I knew I could get there but was sure I would have embarrassment of ringing my good lady to come and fetch me back. The day came, I went, I came back, no problem, it was all a mental thing about getting away from familiar 5/10 mile local circuits.
  • lloyd_bower
    lloyd_bower Posts: 664
    Done several over 100 mile but longest remains 113miles in the Peak last year.
  • bunnyman
    bunnyman Posts: 62
    90 miles- Ullapool to Torridon via Gairloch, which is one of the most scenic rides in the NW Highlands. This was the first time in a few months I'd done this sort of distance thanks to a broken arm (but I'd carried on walking every day so I kept up a good level of fitness)-was well chuffed. Also Lockerbie to Melrose via Eskdalemuir and the Ettrick Valley in half a day-very scenic.

Why is the last mile always the hardest mile ? - The Smiths
    Why is the last mile always the hardest mile ? - The Smiths
  • ciuffolotto
    ciuffolotto Posts: 236
    202 miles from Cambridge to Chester, in 13.5 hours. The longest week was 850 miles in 6.5 days from London to Sardinia - my left hand is still weak nearly three weeks later! A recumbent would have been good for that one, but I think I'd have fallen asleep while riding.
  • Archcp
    Archcp Posts: 8,987
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by colsibob</i>

A very poultry 25 miles.

Were there a lot of chickens?[;)]

Bigfattallbloke - what matters is the improvement. Good on yer!

My longest distance in a day was about 65 miles, so not much compared to many of you. But it got me from where I was to where I wanted to be, with tea and cake along the way. And that's what matters to me....[:)]

If I had a baby elephant, it could help me clean the car. If I had a car.
    If I had a baby elephant, it could help me clean the car. If I had a car.
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Bigtallfatbloke</i>

Hi Jibi,

I watched the video..wow...truely inspirational. It takes guts and determination and a degree of (dare I say) desperation to claim ones life back like that. What a Guy[8D][8D][8D]

...good music as well[:)].

Gravity sucks

If I get down on my long trips, I just think of Tom's journey.
    click on the trip link below to see how long I stay on the road, and you can understand how I can get down some days.

george

2 Bikes
    http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/imjibi/Bikes
  • BlackHelmet
    BlackHelmet Posts: 113
    I believe an American cycled over 1200 miles in 24 hours......... drafting a truck!

But personally, 224 miles in 12-hours which I was very pleased with - and hope to better this year...
  • 125 miles in just under 8 hours last weekend is the furthest I've done before that it was 84 miles so quite a big jump up.
  • pauluscp
    pauluscp Posts: 2,530
    My best was about ten years back. 120 miles. Barnet to Richmond, then out to Oxford. Then back through Thame, Haddenham, Aylesbury, Hemel Hempstead, St. Albans and home. I left home at six in the morning and got home just before six in the evening. There were a few food stops along the way.

So many roads, so little time!!!
  • Greenbank
    Greenbank Posts: 731
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by paulus</i>

My best was about ten years back. 120 miles. Barnet to Richmond, then out to Oxford. Then back through Thame, Haddenham, Aylesbury, Hemel Hempstead, St. Albans and home. I left home at six in the morning and got home just before six in the evening. There were a few food stops along the way.

Should have done the Muswell Hills 200km Audax on Sunday. Route wasn't far off that.

East Finchley, Barnet, St Albans (Sandridge), Tring, Quainton, Brill (ouch), Gt Missenden, Amersham, St Albans (Shenley), Mill Hill and back to East Finchley.

--
    If I had a baby elephant signature, I'd use that.
    --
    If I had a baby elephant signature, I\'d use that.
  • pauluscp
    hi there Greenbanks. unfortunately i was at work all of sunday, but i have seen your rides advertised and would be interested in joining you on one of your rides. Would i have to become a member of the Audax U.K. first?

• 2191flint
    2191flint Posts: 803
    Hmmm I actually wondered if it was worth responding to this, but here goes - 86 miles, last years Oxford to Cambridge boat ride, er sorry bike ride, you only needed the boat for the first 40 odd miles[:D], anyone else who did it will know what I'm talking about!

Obviously no great distance in some eyes, but I was pleased to have achieved it.

Signature free - with immediate effect.

Me and my bike- http://aolpictures.aol.co.uk/galleries/flintosaur9/
    Signature free - with immediate effect.

Me and my bike- http://aolpictures.aol.co.uk/galleries/flintosaur9/
  • pauluscp
    I was there 2191flint. It is a very good ride with a few testing hills around Woburn and the surrounding area. I set off a bit late, 8.00 so the rain stopped after 10 miles or so, so i was nicely dry by the time I arrived at the Three locks pub for a lunch stop.