Your Longest Ride

the full nelson
the full nelson Posts: 47
edited June 2007 in Road beginners
Just intersted to see how far a man/woman can cycle in one day.

beow
beow

Comments

• Eat My Dust
    Eat My Dust Posts: 3,965
    My longsest ride has been around 72 miles, that may sound like a lot, but I'm sure there will be a few forum memebers who have done the 100+ mark.

SNAPS
  • domtyler
    domtyler Posts: 2,648
    edited March 2011
    Just over 140 miles down to my parents in Dorset.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
    ________
    LAUNCH BOX VAPORIZER
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
  • BeaconRuth
    BeaconRuth Posts: 2,086
    The National Competition Record for 24hrs is 525.07 miles, held by Andy Wilkinson since 1997. The same record for women was set by Christine Roberts in 1993 with 461.45 miles.

If you don't count riding through the night as 'in one day', the 12 hour comp records are:

1996 Andy Wilkinson 300.27 miles
    1967 Beryl Burton 277.25 miles.
  • mr_hippo
    mr_hippo Posts: 1,051
    349 kms (216 miles) Dhahran to al Wasia Saudi Arabia

http://bangkokhippo.blogspot.com/

Ex-XXL weigh-in 7/8 July: Update published: Monday 9 July
  • our club run a 200 miles in 24 hours ride, with the ride to the start and back i usually end up with around 220.
    although it doesn't count the longest i've done with a clubmate was 320 to gretna and back from home that was a few hours over the 24.
  • ian_oli
    ian_oli Posts: 763
    There is a form of long-distance cycling called Audax which is not competitive, though you have to complete a set route within a certain time, which is well within reach of someone with average physical ability (like me).

Every four years its biggest event, Paris-Brest-Paris, is held and to qualify you have to ride 200km/300km/400km/600km events. Around 450-500 people from the UK have done the qualifiers for the 2007 run. I tended to come in half way down the field in my qualifiers and I managed the 400K (250 miles) for instance, in 22.5 hours.
  • gavintc
    gavintc Posts: 3,009
    I was personally quite pleased with my 135 miles along the northern mountains of Majorca last month - beautiful scenery and quite demanding on the legs.
  • Doing Audax rides

C2C 11h 54mins
    400km ( 248.5miles) in 18 hours
    600km (373 miles) in 32 hours, went about 290 in the 24 hour period then had to sleep.
    (but Gethin Butler did the same 400 one in 16 hours)

don't worry too much about distances unless that is what you area aiming for in cycling.
    There is always someone faster.
    george

2 Bikes
    http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/imjibi/Bikes
  • JWSurrey
    JWSurrey Posts: 1,173
    Dom, was thinking about doing Guildford to Bournemouth / Poole / Wimborne.
    Got a rought route outline? (assuming you're heading the same way).

I figure it's to aim for Winchester, but not too sure thereafter.
  • BigBren
    BigBren Posts: 145
    78 miles is my longest so far, during this years Kirklees Sportive - yes, I got a <i>tad</i> lost!

Bren
  • freddered
    freddered Posts: 391
    Andover to Stockport, 202 miles in a day. Solo, DIY Audax (300km), April 2007.

Very tiring, very cold, very dark.

Unfortunately this still leaves me in the 'Little League' as Audax goes.

I just plod along slowly
  • longers75
    longers75 Posts: 214
    Big Bren - I too got lost on the Kirklees Sportive and then went home over Holme Moss.

This was my first ever century (111 miles) and I had to walk the dog when I got home - I actually went and had a sleep in the park and let her entertain herself. I've since done a couple of 200k and am really proud of myself.

I know people go longer, further and faster but it's what I do and feel that counts.(To me).

<font size="1"> ~~~~~~~~~~~~</font id="size1">
    <font size="1"><i> I'm just going outside . . . I may be some time.</i></font id="size1">
  • J2R2
    J2R2 Posts: 850
    My longest ride was the Manchester 100 charity ride last year, which is actually 102 miles.

I am more interested in speed than distance so normally the longest rides I do are about 4 hours (70 miles give or take).

• DomT
    DomT Posts: 648
    299Km (185 miles) in one day for me... never again... well... possibly on the racer!

<font size="1">bike 1 bike 2</font id="size1">
  • nolf
    nolf Posts: 1,287
    Longest ride was in the Brecon Beacons, including 5/6 big climbs and countless other rises and dips.

Really very painful [:)]

That was 130 Miles in 10 hours (including time spent stopped).

However this summer I'm going from Bangor to Cardiff (200+ miles inc. Bwlch Y Groes) in 24 hours and so that will become my new longest ride.

Pride speaks, but Elephants listen...
    "I hold it true, what'er befall;
    I feel it, when I sorrow most;
    'Tis better to have loved and lost;
    Than never to have loved at all."

Alfred Tennyson
  • Aidocp
    Aidocp Posts: 868
    Wow,my max 101miles [:I], must be a walk in the park to some of you folks

If I had a baby elephant, who would take it for walks?
  • on the road
    on the road Posts: 5,631
    My longest, 100 miles, last years Manchester 100.
  • Greenbank
    Greenbank Posts: 731
    260km (a 209km Audax with some extra km to get to and from the start).
    160km is longest ride on fixed (again an Audax but only 100km with the extra getting to/fro).

Entered a 300km Audax next month that should require another 30km to and fro to give me an (imperial) double century. Currently quite panicky about it, but it's a nice kind of panic.

Again, small fry compared to other Audaxers or even sillier stuff like RAAM (3042.8 miles across the US in under 9 days anyone?)

--
    If I had a baby elephant signature, I'd use that.
    --
    If I had a baby elephant signature, I\'d use that.
  • well mine is a pathetic 60km but I am proud of that, given that only 2 moinths ago I couldn't even walk more than 200metres without a rest[:I].

Gravity sucks
    Gravity sucks
  • cyclinggirl
    cyclinggirl Posts: 196
    My longest ride is 15 miles so far, only been biking for 3 months and couldn't even hardly do 6 miles at first without being totally knackered.

I am building up to a 20 miler next.
  • John C.
    John C. Posts: 2,113
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by cyclinggirl</i>

My longest ride is 15 miles so far, only been biking for 3 months and couldn't even hardly do 6 miles at first without being totally knackered.

I am building up to a 20 miler next.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    If you can get down to Ripon you could join in with our easy group if you wanted.When you're starting off every extra mile is a worthy target. Well done. Check out the link below. I know the longer rides get most page space but every Sunday we run an easy and a strenuous ride.

http://www.ripon-loiterers.org.uk/index.asp

He who spins lasts longest
    http://www.ripon-loiterers.org.uk/

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail
    Hills are just a matter of pace
  • I started this, quite shocking, thread. cant believe these distances. my best is 64 miles and expected the best to be around 170 miles.

I always like to set my sights high but doing the US in 9 days may be pushing it.

beow
    beow
  • theres nothing pathetic about 60k. i would imagine every one of the long distance riders posting on here started off doing short distances at first.i know i did.
  • John C.
    John C. Posts: 2,113
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by the full nelson</i>

I started this, quite shocking, thread. cant believe these distances. my best is 64 miles and expected the best to be around 170 miles.

I always like to set my sights high but doing the US in 9 days may be pushing it.

beow
    I remember how thrilled I was at my first 50, Now you've done 64 all you have to do is allow your self more time and keep peddling, Well done.

http://www.ripon-loiterers.org.uk/index.asp

He who spins lasts longest
    http://www.ripon-loiterers.org.uk/

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail
    Hills are just a matter of pace
  • freddered
    freddered Posts: 391
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by the full nelson</i>

I started this, quite shocking, thread. cant believe these distances. my best is 64 miles and expected the best to be around 170 miles.

beow

There's always someone out there who does distances that will make you feel like a beginner. 64 miles is EXCEPTIONAL compared to what >99% of the World's population have ever cycled.

CONGRATS!!

I bet people at work think you are a nutter for doing it.

Cycling forums are, unfortunately for our egos, populated with superhumans. I did a 200km Audax on Sunday (in 11 hours of rain)and felt pretty pleased with myself. I then heard one of the guys mention that he now had a 47km ride home. WHAT???? He had turned a 125 mile day ride into a 182 mile day ride....in attrocious conditions.

Beware...it's addictive.
  • Greenbank
    Greenbank Posts: 731
    I've looked at riding across America. I'd like to see some of it so I'd plan on taking at least 2 months or so :)

But seriously,

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6260803.stm

The "average person" in the UK cycles 36 miles *A YEAR*. That's less than a mile a week.

The year before last (2005) my longest ride was 15 miles. Don't get hung up on distances and times. Just go out and enjoy yourself.

--
    If I had a baby elephant signature, I'd use that.
    --
    If I had a baby elephant signature, I\'d use that.
  • postman
    postman Posts: 120
    Well done to everyone.From the 15 miler to the 182 miler.My last big ride was The Great Yorkshire Bike Ride.Cycled from home Meanwood Leeds to Filey 86 miles.Pleased is the word 57 and a touch of Osteoarthritis.
  • postman
    postman Posts: 120
    Cyclinggirl Next year when you have a few more miles under your belt.Go to Reeth and cycle up to the Tan Hill Inn.Have a bite to eat and return the same way.We have done it twice it is a great day out.
  • jay_clock
    jay_clock Posts: 2,708
    About 120 miles (Dunwich Dynamo) - if London to brighton impresses people, 120 miles overnight does even more so.

next week I am doing a day trip to the office (60 miles each way) so 120miles, with a full day in the office too. I aim to leave at 4.45am, get there around 9 then leave at 5, home as fast as I can. There are 2400m of climbing in total!

my trip round Corsica: http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/corsica
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Bigtallfatbloke</i>

well mine is a pathetic 60km but I am proud of that, given that only 2 moinths ago I couldn't even walk more than 200metres without a rest[:I].

Gravity sucks
    You would love the story about my friend Tom in America

Here before and after
    http://murl.se/26051

Incredible story
    youtube
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOacnK_JJoA

george

2 Bikes
    http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/imjibi/Bikes