London is Horrible!!!

Comments

• urrrrrrrrrs
    urrrrrrrrrs Posts: 478
    a question for The Boss

so where do you live then ?????

i'd rather have a bottle in front of me,than a frontal lobotomy

8th March 2010,Spain ,Here I come !!!!!!
  • Eat My Dust
    Eat My Dust Posts: 3,965
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by The Boss</i>
    We <i>could</i> go further North...
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

How about Edinburgh, at least then most of the government wouldn't have to travel so far to get to work!!![;)]

SNAPS
  • timmins
    timmins Posts: 40
    The best thing about London is that there are so many exciting things happening that we don't need to fill our time loitering on the internet picking holes in other people's hometowns!
  • hevipedal
    hevipedal Posts: 2,475
    Boss, life is so bad you should examine the underside of a train

while it's moving

<b><font color="red"> Hevipedal </font id="red"></b>
    Phrase of the week - <font color="red"><font size="3"><b> I've got a bike. You can ride it if you like.
    It's got a basket, a bell that rings and
    Things to make it look good.
    I'd give it to you if I could, but I borrowed it.
    </font id="red"> </font id="size3"> </b>

51yrs old and Proud of it - Made it to 87kg 2 more to go for the target.
    Pedal to Paris Sept 2007
    Hevipedal
    It's not only people that are irrational; 1.4142135623730950488016887242096980785696718753769480731766797379907324784621
  • WyS
    WyS Posts: 254
    I had a lovely ride in to kings cross this morning. mostly stationary traffic which i simply whizzed past, green lights til i got to st pancras, and no cars on my arse up pentonville.

London rules, and the agressive drivers are better than any comedy show on telly. unless they hit you.
  • jimstercp
    jimstercp Posts: 236
    " Boss, life is so bad you should examine the underside of a train"

Good natured banter as Tarrant would say??

Throw some cutlery while your at it!

Last time I went out for a curry in London there was a rather splendid looking cockroach nestling under the plate of poppadoms; it steadfastly refused to split the bill so I complained!
  • dondare
    dondare Posts: 2,113
    London is where it's at.

I've cycled in London and I've cycled in Bristol and Bristol is worse.

Baby elephants? Pah!!
    This post contains traces of nuts.
  • hevipedal
    hevipedal Posts: 2,475
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by jimster</i>

" Boss, life is so bad you should examine the underside of a train"

Good natured banter as Tarrant would say??

Throw some cutlery while your at it!

Last time I went out for a curry in London there was a rather splendid looking cockroach nestling under the plate of poppadoms; it steadfastly refused to split the bill so I complained!

What fresh meat in the city and you complain?

<b><font color="red"> Hevipedal </font id="red"></b>
    Phrase of the week - <font color="red"><font size="3"><b> I've got a bike. You can ride it if you like.
    It's got a basket, a bell that rings and
    Things to make it look good.
    I'd give it to you if I could, but I borrowed it.
    </font id="red"> </font id="size3"> </b>

51yrs old and Proud of it - Made it to 87kg 2 more to go for the target.
    Pedal to Paris Sept 2007
    Hevipedal
    It's not only people that are irrational; 1.4142135623730950488016887242096980785696718753769480731766797379907324784621
  • jimstercp
    jimstercp Posts: 236
    [:D]
  • mmoo
    mmoo Posts: 142
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by xio</i>

If the Salfords Lads club is still standing you can be sure they'll have turned it into a 'luxury development' by now and probably called it something like the 'Strangeways Quarter' with a large plastic gladioli statue outside<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Yeah it's still there, easily found - it's on Coronation Street!

http://maps.google.co.uk/?ie=UTF8&om=1& ... 10042&z=17

The Ordsall estate is next in line to be redeveloped (i.e. levelled) so you might be right.

Last time I was in London i wished I'd brought my bike, definately the best and cheapest way to get around.

Martyn

<center><font color="brown">
    <font size="3"><i>/\/\/\/\00</i></font id="size3">
    <font size="1">TrafficParticle </font id="size1">
    </center></font id="brown">
    <center><font>
    <font><i>/\/\/\/\00</i></font>
    <font>TrafficParticle </font>
    </center></font>
  • bretty77
    bretty77 Posts: 110
    Nice to see people leaping to London's defence here. Personally I couldn't see myself living anywhere else. I can understand people's aversions, and many of the criticisms are fairly valid (house prices etc). But if you don't like it, don't pan it and tell all Londoners that they're wong - just avoid it.

Summer route
  • CycleLal
    CycleLal Posts: 431
    GASP! who is that slagging off Bristol? gasp. I wasn't going to reply to this post till i saw that. Bristol is a lovely city, so there.

Anyhoo yes London can be horrid but London can also be lovely - but surely that's the same of any town anywhere? I'm not quite sure why anyone would go to the effort of logging on to say what everybody already knows, and that some of us (about 8 million!) live with and some of us (the rest of the UK) don't. All you need to do is find some part of London you like (Greenwich, say) and a person to share it with (hello Pete [:I]) and whay'da know, London isn't so bad.
  • did zimzum really just get away with saying that...kinda agree though!

dangerous jules.
    all right ,lets not panic, i'll make the money by selling one of my livers. i can get by with just one right?
    dangerous jules.
  • Eat My Dust
    Eat My Dust Posts: 3,965
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by dangerousjules</i>

did zimzum really just get away with saying that...kinda agree though!

dangerous jules.
    all right ,lets not panic, i'll make the money by selling one of my livers. i can get by with just one right?

I wasn't sure what it was meant to be!! Sounds like some sort of Glaswegian/Yardie mix!![?]

SNAPS
  • urrrrrrrrrs
    urrrrrrrrrs Posts: 478
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by zimzum42</i>

Gwaan fukk yasel ya rasclaat pussiole......

[:D] www.addiscombe.org [8D] [8D] www.darhotwire.com [8D] [8D] www.muzikmedia.com [:D]
    My Bikes My Commute

i can ubderstand it [:D] there are some cabbies i know and learning from them all these choice phrases[:D][:0][^]

8th March 2010,Spain ,Here I come !!!!!!
  • speshcp
    speshcp Posts: 3,746
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by The Boss</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by BentMikey</i>

I love cycling in London, rgisme is on the nail there. Of course I love cycling out in the country too, but there's something special about riding in London. Oh, and fcuk the cycle lanes, don't want any more of those.

Some people love being trampled on and whipped. It's a perversion.

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Speak for yourself. [:D]

<hr noshade size="1"><font size="1">"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." (Albert Einstein)
    </font id="size1">
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." (Albert Einstein)
  • walkercp
    walkercp Posts: 1,012
    London is the same as most british cities, just bigger. If anyone ever knew London was actually promoted to the English Capital After taking it away from Birmingham. I'm sure we would all be arguing how crap Birmingham was if it was still the same.
    I've always lived around London, I like the city (Greater London) And some of its surounding Borough's. But Just London isn't great, Britain is great, Without London I don't think ths country would be what it is.

Rhino's are the new Elephant
    Baby Elephants - free from artificial flavourings, colourings and preservatives
  • Fnaar
    Fnaar Posts: 1,985
    When I was young, free and single, living in London was wonderful (late 80s, early 90s). We moved somewhere more civilised in order to give our kids somewhere nicer to live...still a fan though, lived there most of my life. What I don't miss, however, is the threatening feeling from groups of ne'erdowell youths on public transport...just before we moved, I heard two twonks discussing how best to nick my mobile phone, and another time there was a group who started getting rather aggressively cheeky because I laughed out loud at something in a book I was reading..."What's so funny about a book?", but persistently. If you are a reasonably civilised person, London has a lot to offer, but mostly when you are free to enjoy it. But it can feel threatening in certain areas, largely because there are whole swathes of youngsters who have had either bad or no decent adult role models.

<b><font color="blue"><font face="Comic Sans MS">kinckers kanckers konckers</font id="Comic Sans MS"></font id="blue"></b> [:D]
  • squiredcp
    squiredcp Posts: 964
    The workforce of London subsidises the rest of the country. If all the money generated by London was spent there it would be an amazing place, but sadly the rest of this fine land needs to be looked after.

Personally I'm not a huge fan of cycling in London, and my commuting efforts are limited in such a way as to prevent me from hating it (as happened back when I was doing 5 days a week).
  • kmahony
    kmahony Posts: 380
    Easy to knock London, but have you been to these "great" places up North. Manchester, Birmingham ... Leeds!!!. GRIM my friends, GRIM. No matter how much they spend on them, they'll never be nice places.
    ... you can't polish a turd.

York is the only northern place I like, but too many American tourists.

If it wasn't for hangovers, I'd ride everyday.
  • willski
    willski Posts: 730
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by urrrrrrrrrs</i>

you forgot Manchester has Coronation Street !!!!!!

Exactly! It's most famous street is ficticious!

If I had a baby elephant, I'd write a witty sig line about it - if I had any wit.
    If I had a baby elephant, I\'d write a witty sig line about it - if I had any wit.
  • i love leeds, shame about their footy team!

dangerous jules.
    dangerous jules.
  • chuckles
    chuckles Posts: 44
    London is absolutely horrible.

and absolutely amazing...

and dirty and disgusting...

and new, vibrant and special...

and crime ridden and dangerous...

and safe, clean and friendly...

Carry on <i>ad finitum</i>.
    Chuckles
  • willski
    willski Posts: 730
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by mmoo</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by xio</i>

If the Salfords Lads club is still standing you can be sure they'll have turned it into a 'luxury development' by now and probably called it something like the 'Strangeways Quarter' with a large plastic gladioli statue outside<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Yeah it's still there, easily found - it's on Coronation Street!

http://maps.google.co.uk/?ie=UTF8&om=1& ... 10042&z=17

The Ordsall estate is next in line to be redeveloped (i.e. levelled) so you might be right.

Last time I was in London i wished I'd brought my bike, definately the best and cheapest way to get around.

Martyn

<center><font color="brown">
    <font size="3"><i>/\/\/\/\00</i></font id="size3">
    <font size="1">TrafficParticle </font id="size1">
    </center></font id="brown">

I read an article a few years ago about people who visit Manchester for the sole purpose of having their photo taken outside the Salford Lads club, which is wny I listed it as the only place of interest.

Here it is!
    http://arts.guardian.co.uk/fridayreview ... 52,00.html

Key quote is;
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">
    "We've had people in from Latvia, Mexico and Guatemala," says Leslie Holmes. "You ask them what else they are going to see in Manchester and they say nothing. That's all they've come to see."

How Leeds must be cursing itself that The Sisters of Mercy never had their photos done by one of their run-down buildings. They'd be living high on the goth dollar by now!

If I had a baby elephant, I'd write a witty sig line about it - if I had any wit.
    If I had a baby elephant, I\'d write a witty sig line about it - if I had any wit.
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    I was brought up in a small village about 30 miles north of Inverness. Great school, fabulous mountains and coast

I then moved down here over 25 years ago. One couldn't ask for a greater contrast but I love going back (and then coming back down to London)

Which would I call home ? Both I suppose. I'll admit that London doesn't have any mountains and rugged coastline (no, Hampstead heath and Thamesmead don't count). We all have to make compromises but at the end of the day, scenery and clean air don't pay. I enjoy living down here and what it doesn't provide I can easily go somewhere else for. OK, there are occasionally days when my cycle into Canary Wharf isn't the most edifying of experiences and I have been hospitalised doing it, but mostly I enjoy it and miss it when I haven't done it for a few days.

"Get a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live." ~ Mark Twain, "Taming the Bicycle"
  • dubnobass
    dubnobass Posts: 337
    You'd be surprised by the number of goths I met in my time at Leeds Uni who only went to study there because of the Sisters... I suspect they -are- living at least partially on the goth dollar!

I like London now, but it took a lot of getting used to. The people are quite distant and stand-offish, which I suspect is a defence mechanisms against beggars and nutters. Everything costs more, even basic grocery shopping. Eating out is definitely more expensive. There are also all too many little side-roads in town which stink of pee [xx(]

However, I still get excited every single day by cycling through Parliament Square. There's always something bizarre to see, always something going on. All bands and comedians play here, you've got your pick of cuisines from literally all over the world, endless theatres, musicals and concerts, and the best shops. Lots of opportunities for things to see and do. If you live on the outskirts and commute in, as I do, you get to combine cycling with commuting, and yet from home, I'm 5 minutes ride from the countryside.

As for cycling, apart from pooting around a Macclesfield housing estate on a Raleigh rascal when I was 8 years old, I've never known cycling anywhere but London, so the cut-n-thrust of London cycling seems very 'normal' to me.

<font size="1">If I had a baby elephant, I'd re-enact THAT scene from Blue Peter, with John Noakes, on a daily basis. Wouldn't you? <i>"Ooh, gerroff me foot!"</i></font id="size1">
    Only so many songs can be sung with two lips two lungs and one tongue
  • greenmarkcp
    greenmarkcp Posts: 530

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by greenmark</i>

I personally miss London for the clean air, safe cycling with considerate drivers, polite people on efficient public transport, peace and quiet and access to the countryside.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"> [:D] [:D]

Dunno why you're laughing - I was serious.
  • joebe
    joebe Posts: 333
    You don't get this in Manchester:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7787255@N07/531371194/

<hr noshade size="1">
    <center>
    <i><b><font size="3"><font color="violet">
    pink is the new black</font id="violet">
    </i></b></font id="size3">
    <font color="red"><font size="2">Doris hanging out by the river </font id="red"></font id="size2"></center>
    pink is the new black
    Doris hanging out by the river
  • simoncp
    simoncp Posts: 3,260
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by willski</i>

I personally think the dump should be relegated as the capital. I don't think it deserves the title anymore, I don't see why we can't give it to Leeds or Manchester say for a bit.

Oooh, lets see.

Loondon; Buckingham Palace, The houses of paliament, Westminster Abbey, St Pauls Cathedral, The National Gallery, The British Museum, The Natural History Museum, The Science Museum, The V&A, The Royal Albert Hall, The Festival Hall, The National Theatre, The National Film Theatre....

Manchester: Umm. Oooh. The Salford Lads club where they took that picture of The Smiths. Ummm. thats it.

Leeds: Ah. Nope. Nothing.

I know many southerners haven't been further north than Watford and their knowledge of UK geography is a bit sketchy so I'll put you right on one small thing.

Salford Lads Club is in Salford, not Manchester. The clue is in the name.
  • Tynancp
    Tynancp Posts: 160
    part of Manchester as far as we're concerned

sorry