London is Horrible!!!

neslon
neslon Posts: 54
edited July 2007 in Commuting chat
I had to go there for a meeting a week back and was shocked at how bad it is for cyclists. Cars, inching along at walking pace still trying to squeeze against bikes easily capable of going faster than the stinking, stagnant traffic. No cycle lanes that I saw (between Kings Cross & Birdcage walk). I nearly choked on the acidic puke that passes for air & was really depressed to see the levels of aggression displayed by many drivers towards bikes.
Why do you do it? Move out now, get away from the dump, find a job and a decent house somewhere else and enjoy life without worrying when some psychopathic taxi driver is going to wipe you out so he can save 5 seconds. Life is too short to waste it ploughing through that cack every day.
Yours in sympathy, Nelson

Comments

• Uncle Mort
    Uncle Mort Posts: 1,124
    Snore......ronfleeeeeeeeurgh....spnoorgh........snore........

Oi! Don't knock London! It's the best place for cycling. Congestion means the relative speed differences are not great and you can easily negotiate your way in traffic. I find drivers are generally more cycle aware than elsewhere and more prepared to give you space and room since they know they're not going far before they have to stop again anyway. Finding your way around all the obstructions at the greatest speed a reasonable sense of safety allows gives a pleasant endomorphin and adrenalin high to begin and end every day. What more could you want? And who gives a fcuk about cycle lanes? Don't want them, don't need them. There's this wonderful network of things called roads already in place.
  • xio
    xio Posts: 212
    Face it, you're just not man enough for it. Now go back to your backwater two-bit little village and enjoy all the services we subsidise.

Are you a morris dancer by any chance?
  • **** nelson...you gonna 'ave that!

dangerous jules.
    all right ,lets not panic, i'll make the money by selling one of my livers. i can get by with just one right?
    dangerous jules.
  • London-bashing is sooooo old. People knock the best sports teams, anything that is stronger / faster / shinier / richer etc get knocked. Its the old British way of "back in my day we didn't have blah blah blah". Cycling in London is brilliant, I personally enjoy it, the varied sights you would never normally see, and yes, some of the smells are worth it too. London is a vibrant alive city, that does have big downsides, but they are far outweighed by the positives. In no other place in the UK can you walk down an alleyway and stumble upon a gothic church nestled almost underneath two huge office blocks (the church Loyds is built around). Drivers are the most cycle aware of anywhere I've cycled (in the UK that is... lets not go too far!). Also, if you want something, you can get it. Things just work (unless its public transport [;)])

What is so great about where you are from?

• whatamidoing
    whatamidoing Posts: 110
    I cycle in Portsmouth and London.. I have to say yes... cycling in London is more dangerous.. but it just so much fun!!! Makes my day so much more interesting shouting at bad drivers and then over taking them...
  • urrrrrrrrrs
    urrrrrrrrrs Posts: 478
    and were not all psychotic scum taxi drivers either(unless your name is Kim[:)] who thinks differently)

i'd rather have a bottle in front of me,than a frontal lobotomy

8th March 2010,Spain ,Here I come !!!!!!
  • Hackbike 6
    Hackbike 6 Posts: 3,116
    London is great fun isn't it.

<font color="green"><font size="1">Hackbike 8 Commuting Debut 09/09/2006</font id="green"></font id="size1"><font size="1"><font color="blue">Dawes Audax 2006</font id="blue"></font id="size1"><font size="1"><font color="green"> New 20/09/2006</font id="green"><font color="red"> </font id="red"></font id="size1">
    <font color="blue">
    <font size="1"><font color="red"> Cycle Commuting since 1981 </font id="red"></font id="blue"></font id="size1">
    <font color="blue">
    <font size="1">Cycling Proficiency Test 24 May 1977</font id="blue"><font color="red"><font size="1"> (30 years ago)</font id="size1"></font id="red"></font id="size1">

<font size="1"><font color="red"> Ride to work part 1 of 8 http://tinyurl.com/ypjapc</font id="size1"></font id="red">
    <font color="red"><font size="1">Ride to work part 2 of 8 </font id="size1"></font id="red"><font size="1">http://tinyurl.com/2jfagu</font id="size1">
    <font color="red"><font size="1">Ride to work part 3 of 8</font id="red"></font id="size1"><font size="1"> http://tinyurl.com/2jcldv </font id="size1">
  • The Bosscp
    The Bosscp Posts: 647
    London is full of people up their own arse.
  • hichakhok
    hichakhok Posts: 36
    My parents born here. All 4 grandparents born here. I been here in London 36 years. Anyone else here belong to London as much as I do? For me it's a miserable dump which gets worse every year. It was livable about 17 years ago. Now it's overpriced, overhyped. Public transport system is a joke. Cost of living is a joke. Center of bull****, that Olympic logo sums the place up. It's 'cool' to pay œ6 to take the train, œ2 for a cup of bad coffee, or œ400.000 for a crappy victorian converted maisonette, or visit tacky tourist dumps like centerpoint or camden town and get ripped off in wack clubs playing ****e music.
  • Hackbike 6
    Hackbike 6 Posts: 3,116
    It wasn't that bad when I lived in Finsbury Park from when I was born till the early 70's.

<font color="green"><font size="1">Hackbike 8 Commuting Debut 09/09/2006</font id="green"></font id="size1"><font size="1"><font color="blue">Dawes Audax 2006</font id="blue"></font id="size1"><font size="1"><font color="green"> New 20/09/2006</font id="green"><font color="red"> </font id="red"></font id="size1">
    <font color="blue">
    <font size="1"><font color="red"> Cycle Commuting since 1981 </font id="red"></font id="blue"></font id="size1">
    <font color="blue">
    <font size="1">Cycling Proficiency Test 24 May 1977</font id="blue"><font color="red"><font size="1"> (30 years ago)</font id="size1"></font id="red"></font id="size1">

<font size="1"><font color="red"> Ride to work part 1 of 8 http://tinyurl.com/ypjapc</font id="size1"></font id="red">
    <font color="red"><font size="1">Ride to work part 2 of 8 </font id="size1"></font id="red"><font size="1">http://tinyurl.com/2jfagu</font id="size1">
    <font color="red"><font size="1">Ride to work part 3 of 8</font id="red"></font id="size1"><font size="1"> http://tinyurl.com/2jcldv </font id="size1">
  • greenmarkcp
    greenmarkcp Posts: 530
    I personally miss London for the clean air, safe cycling with considerate drivers, polite people on efficient public transport, peace and quiet and access to the countryside.
  • The Bosscp
    Course it is. London's not spelt s... h... i... t... h... o... l... e for no reason.
  • BentMikey
    BentMikey Posts: 4,895
    I love cycling in London, rgisme is on the nail there. Of course I love cycling out in the country too, but there's something special about riding in London. Oh, and fcuk the cycle lanes, don't want any more of those.

<font size="1">My bikes
    My skates</font id="size1">

If I had a baby elephant, I'd teach it to skate.
  • The Bosscp
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by greenmark</i>

I personally miss London for the clean air, safe cycling with considerate drivers, polite people on efficient public transport, peace and quiet and access to the countryside.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"> [:D] [:D]

I personally think the dump should be relegated as the capital. I don't think it deserves the title anymore, I don't see why we can't give it to Leeds or Manchester say for a bit.
  • The Bosscp
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by BentMikey</i>

I love cycling in London, rgisme is on the nail there. Of course I love cycling out in the country too, but there's something special about riding in London. Oh, and fcuk the cycle lanes, don't want any more of those.

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    Some people love being trampled on and whipped. It's a perversion.
  • Black Keith
    Black Keith Posts: 224
    London is a large and varied city.
    to label it **** is ignorant.

like saying the rest of England is a wasteland of roundabouts, motorways and obese inbreds.

oh hang on..

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by The Boss</i>

I personally think the dump should be relegated as the capital. I don't think it deserves the title anymore, I don't see why we can't give it to Leeds or Manchester say for a bit.

Oooh, lets see.

Loondon; Buckingham Palace, The houses of paliament, Westminster Abbey, St Pauls Cathedral, The National Gallery, The British Museum, The Natural History Museum, The Science Museum, The V&A, The Royal Albert Hall, The Festival Hall, The National Theatre, The National Film Theatre....

Manchester: Umm. Oooh. The Salford Lads club where they took that picture of The Smiths. Ummm. thats it.

Leeds: Ah. Nope. Nothing.

If I had a baby elephant, I'd write a witty sig line about it - if I had any wit.
    If I had a baby elephant, I\'d write a witty sig line about it - if I had any wit.
  • urrrrrrrrrs
    urrrrrrrrrs Posts: 478
    you forgot Manchester has Coronation Street !!!!!!

i'd rather have a bottle in front of me,than a frontal lobotomy

8th March 2010,Spain ,Here I come !!!!!!
  • xio
    xio Posts: 212
    If the Salfords Lads club is still standing you can be sure they'll have turned it into a 'luxury development' by now and probably called it something like the 'Strangeways Quarter' with a large plastic gladioli statue outside.

Manchester is a proper sh*thole - I grew up near there and frankly it's not improved any since I left. And as for the weather, don't get me started.
  • overmars
    overmars Posts: 430
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by The Boss</i>

London is full of people up their own arse.

This from a guy who calls himself 'The Boss'.
    [:o)]

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Black Keith</i>

London is a large and varied city.
    to label it **** is ignorant.

<b>like saying the rest of England is a wasteland of roundabouts, motorways and obese inbreds.</b>

oh hang on..

Now that you mention it!!

SNAPS
  • The Bosscp
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by willski</i>

Oooh, lets see.

Loondon; Buckingham Palace, The houses of paliament, Westminster Abbey, St Pauls Cathedral, The National Gallery, The British Museum, The Natural History Museum, The Science Museum, The V&A, The Royal Albert Hall, The Festival Hall, The National Theatre, The National Film Theatre....
    Colliers wood tower!
    The Gherkin!
    The millennium dome!
  • The Bosscp
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by urrrrrrrrrs</i>

Yes but it can't really compete compared to that colourful bastion of uplifting British drama that London's got that anyone can switch on when they're feeling depressed and by the end of it they won't be depressed any more.* It really does warm** the heart.

*<font size="1">That'll most likely be because they'll have ended it all somewhere in the region of 7 minutes in, but still...</font id="size1">

**<font size="1">Normally due to cremation.</font id="size1">
  • overmars
    Nelson...

If you can survive London. You can survive anywhere. Those who can't, die.[xx(]
    Its called evolution.

I guess you're just not strong enough for this here town.

(What the **** you were doing round Kings Cross anyway? They've been rebuilding there since 1909.)

London rocks, cycling London rocks.

If you can't stand the heat get out of the kitchen.
    Leave those of us who love it to enjoy it.
    Where else in the Uk can you hear any language from anywhere in the world?
    Eat food from any country in the world?
    Enjoy the culture and art of any country in the world?
    and on top of that cycle to work faster than public transport and be waiting for Le Tour and the Olympics to take place in your home city?

<b><font color="red"> Hevipedal </font id="red"></b>
    Phrase of the week - <font color="red"><font size="3"><b> I've got a bike. You can ride it if you like.
    It's got a basket, a bell that rings and
    Things to make it look good.
    I'd give it to you if I could, but I borrowed it.
    </font id="red"> </font id="size3"> </b>

51yrs old and Proud of it - Made it to 87kg 2 more to go for the target.
    Pedal to Paris Sept 2007
    Hevipedal
    It's not only people that are irrational; 1.4142135623730950488016887242096980785696718753769480731766797379907324784621
  • The Bosscp
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by willski</i>

Oooh, lets see.

Manchester: Umm. Oooh. The Salford Lads club where they took that picture of The Smiths. Ummm. thats it.

Leeds: Ah. Nope. Nothing.
    We <i>could</i> go further North...
  • overmars

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by urrrrrrrrrs</i>

Yes but it can't really compete compared to that colourful bastion of uplifting British drama that London's got that anyone can switch on when they're feeling depressed and by the end of it they won't be depressed any more.* It really does warm** the heart.

*<font size="1">That'll most likely be because they'll have ended it all somewhere in the region of 7 minutes in, but still...</font id="size1">

**<font size="1">Normally due to cremation.</font id="size1">

Yes. And you're a ray of ruddy positive sunshine dawning out of the crack of your smile.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by hevipedal</i>

London rocks, cycling London rocks.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    Literally.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by hevipedal</i>

Where else in the Uk can you hear any language from anywhere in the world? <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    Somewhere near a computer with speakers and the internet, or a radio?

Eat food from any country in the world? <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    Restaurants and shops in most cities other than London that are about a third the price...

waiting for Le Tour and the Olympics to take place in your home city?
    What's good about that? You can only get a half-decent view by watching telly anyway, other than that it's just yet more traffic, if that's possible.