Robert Millar book

124»

Comments

• KeithG
    KeithG Posts: 1,010
    You can listen to the interview about the book by the author on radio scotland here http://www.bbc.co.uk/scotland/radioscot ... /bookcafe&
    the actual interview starts about 20 minutes into the programme and you can fast forward top left.
  • Cyclo2000
    Cyclo2000 Posts: 1,923
    I've just ordered mine offa Amazon after unsuccessfully trying to buy it in Glasgow over the last 3 weekends.
    Only trouble is our postman's a cyclist too and we swop books between us to save a bit o' cash. When he feels a book like parcel in his bag addressed to Ol' Cyclo he'll likely nick it to read first!

Never mind, Roll on Delivery!

Usquequaque in Ventus
    Just once I would like to be called "Sir", without someone adding "You're making a scene".
    Usquequaque in Ventus
    Just once I would like to be called "Sir", without someone adding "You\'re making a scene".
  • justyn_c_uk
    justyn_c_uk Posts: 126
    I love the way during the radio show Geoffery Wheatcroft just constantly refers to David Millar, brilliant....

'It's good enough for government work'
    Please look at my handmade cycling cufflinks
  • K Blackwell
    K Blackwell Posts: 1,539
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Dave_1</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by K Blackwell</i>

I'm not criticising Murray, he merely quoted what any good Scot would say. If he'd have said he supported England I would suspect him of being gay[:)]
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I don't agree with your summary of what you think Scots think of the English. If you hold a prejuidce, it doesn't mean others do. No good Scot is anti-English and good Englishmen don't make such generalisations either<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    I was referring to football. It has been my experience that what Murray stated is what Scots do when England are playing. They routinely cheer for the opposition. It's not a dig at the Scots per se, merely a fact of my experiences in different parts of the world. Conversely, many Scots will cheer for English teams in European club competitions, especially Man United. So, no prejudices from my point of view, merely facts.
  • top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by K Blackwell</i>
    I was referring to football. It has been my experience that what Murray stated is what Scots do when England are playing. They routinely cheer for the opposition. It's not a dig at the Scots per se, merely a fact of my experiences in different parts of the world. Conversely, many Scots will cheer for English teams in European club competitions, especially Man United. So, no prejudices from my point of view, merely facts.

Your probably right but its hard to cheer on England when the English media constantly ram into your face how good the England team really is, what their going to do to such and such a team, etc when clearly this is far from the case. In such instances and the lack of humility means that the rest of the world can only laugh mockingly when it all unravels [}:)]

This is my bike:
    http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p66/ ... ure001.jpg
    http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p66/ ... ure002.jpg
    http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p66/ ... ure003.jpg
  • johny c
    johny c Posts: 256
    I supported England once and I'm not gay. Summer of '66 about twenty of us crowded round the telly, one of very few in Ranish then, to watch the world cup final. We supported England, we're British after all. It was a different story the following year of course, beating the world champions on their own midden:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Lxfzgbn9l0

Anyhow, to the point. I just finished reading Richard's book this morning, it was a pleasure to remember those days in the 80s and 90s. I had to chuckle at Graeme Obree's comments when Robert snubbed him on the Isle of Man. I haven't forgotten how it felt when Graeme blanked me on the train to Glasgow one day. But as an ordinary club cyclist from Ayr I have to say that I still get a lump in my throat when I watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ml6KT5MArC8

ps. Matt, I'm still trying to find the video I lent, of Robert flying past the bunch in the big ring to put 12mts on them and win the 89 Kellogs tour. My personal favourite memory of Robert.

Johny
    Johny
  • peter_andrew
    peter_andrew Posts: 373
    Well! Finished now. Fascinating, obviously missing a great deal due to lack of input from Robert. Was very good, reading the e mail correspondence at the end though. I got the impression from that, that Robert was "happy" with the book and was almost endorsing the book through allowing the correspondence to be printed. I hope he reads it, enjoys it and is more than comfortable with his achievements and his life now.
    Best bit for me.... his handle of "gottheteeshirt". Just seemed to sum the understating of all about Robert.
    Peter
  • Anyone see the Edinburgh Filmhouse documentary on Friday? I was disappointed to find it was a re-run of a Granada TV programme in the mid 80s. Thought it might have been more reflective of the book. Couldn't stay for the Q & A session afterwards with the author - did anyone else here? There were some great shots of Hinault's tyranny and some cracking comments from Allan Peiper though.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    O Lord it's hard to be humble, when you're perfect in every way.
    I can't wait to look in the mirror, I get better looking each day.
    To know me is to love me, I must be a hell of a man.
    O Lord it's hard to be humble, but I'm doing the best that I can.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Will it be treats with Pocket and Sweets? Is that where we should go?
  • K Blackwell
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Top_Bhoy</i>

Your probably right but its hard to cheer on England when the English media constantly ram into your face how good the England team really is, what their going to do to such and such a team, etc when clearly this is far from the case. In such instances and the lack of humility means that the rest of the world can only laugh mockingly when it all unravels [}:)]<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    Agree with you. The English media are cretins, or most of them. I predicted the World Cup as far as England is concerned. Quarter final and then out on pens.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Let's at least be able to go into the world cup with a bit of hope. So what if the world laughs mockingly at expectation unravels (let's not mention 78 eh) - at least we get to the tournament more often than not.

Warning about well known bike shop removed at request of moderators.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • K Blackwell
    I've just finished reading the book and think Richard Moore did an excellent job in the circumstances. He's obviously a fan, but it wasn't a hagiography of Robert Millar (RM).

To include the comments that he did clearly showed that RM wasn't everyone's cup of tea, but in the same way the bits we got out of interviews with RM revealed another side to him, i.e., that he wasn't as bad as he was painted by some people and suggest that this hard exterior was to prevent people messing around with him. It is apparent that RM is an intelligent man.

It's also obvious that he didn't get all the results he deserved. However, it would appear that he had a number of enemies, which may have militated against him. And yet on the other hand he helped Roche and Kelly, but appeared to get nowt in return from others.

I know I upset some people in saying Simpson was a better rider, but it's beyond doubt to me that if RM have had Simpson's personality and bravado, then I believe he would have won a lot more. Equally, a British TdF team in RM's heyday would I'm sure have guaranteed him a number of podium places in the TdF (the only caveat to him winning would be his TT ability). Had Simpson been around still, I believe we would have had the team to support RM properly.

Finally, I appreciated the way Moore chronicled RM's career and didn't jump around from year to year. It was logically put together. I also thought the drugs issue was handled sensitively and wa thought provoking.
  • daowned
    daowned Posts: 414
    Whats all the stuff with Andy Murry? a true Scot if you ask me yeah some in the media are cretins but its got better since Jimmy Hill got the boot from the BBC if you ask me.

You know I had a talk with a cycling mate the other day and we agreed that the likes of Robert Millar and Obree might not have been as good as they were if they didnt have the type of personality they had?

My Ebay Sales - Shimano 105 10SPD RH Lever | Assos Equipe Jersey
  • there's a new youtube video of Millar here. A clip from the documentary 'The High Life' http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=0aK54mRqQDQ . Bloody hell at him descending with cars coming in the opposite direction!

tea is good