Robert Millar book

Comments

• pumpkincp
    pumpkincp Posts: 51
    The English cheering for the Scots isn't a joke, Mr Blackwell, once upon a time it used to happen. You may even be able to find clips of it online. Probably in black and white. Presented by Dickie Davies.

Nowadays, however, that has all changed (just ask Andy Murray), and personally I blame the dour presbyterian porridge munchers. Why can't they just lose that chip from off their shoulder (they could eat it - it's unhealthy enough) and start supporting their neighbours in a mature modern manner, just as Argentinians do with Brazil at football, or New Zealanders with Australia at cricket, or Canadians with the US ice-hockey team. That nice Mr Gordon Brown has shown them the way, and he means what he says, he really does.

Quite what all this has to do with two of the greatest cyclists Britain has ever produced though, I really don't know.
  • pictit
    pictit Posts: 603
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by pumpkin</i>

The English cheering for the Scots isn't a joke, Mr Blackwell, once upon a time it used to happen. You may even be able to find clips of it online. Probably in black and white. Presented by Dickie Davies.

Nowadays, however, that has all changed (just ask Andy Murray), and personally I blame the dour presbyterian porridge munchers. Why can't they just lose that chip from off their shoulder (they could eat it - it's unhealthy enough) and start supporting their neighbours in a mature modern manner, just as Argentinians do with Brazil at football, or New Zealanders with Australia at cricket, or Canadians with the US ice-hockey team. That nice Mr Gordon Brown has shown them the way, and he means what he says, he really does.

Quite what all this has to do with two of the greatest cyclists Britain has ever produced though, I really don't know.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

[:)][:)][:p]
  • A review of the book has been written by David Millar in today's Scotsman.
    http://sport.scotsman.com/index.cfm?id=862582007

www.braveheartfund.com
  • top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by K Blackwell</i>

Andy - Without a doubt Millar was Britain's best stage race rider and I have the DVD's of his successes. But the comment was that Millar was Britain's best ever cyclist; and by a long way.

Overall, in my opinion, and by other judges, Simpson was rated higher.

Of course some take it as a personal attack on their hero, like the Scot calling me a moron. Well, he should read the record books.

Or is wrong to voice an alternative opinion? Obviously not.

I think you have valid reasons and its not worth getting into a big argument over - both were class cyclists and people have their favourites. It may not have been the intention, but I just thought that the Telegraph comments didn't read well and were tending towards being derogatory towards RM.

This is my new bike:
    http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p66/ ... ure001.jpg
    http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p66/ ... ure002.jpg
    http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p66/ ... ure003.jpg
  • d.dourday
    d.dourday Posts: 10
    I think he willl be found when it is profitable for him.

dourdaydavide
    dourdaydavide, not RM, not French not good at plain English ok ?
  • Noodley
    Noodley Posts: 1,725
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by d.dourday</i>

I think he willl be found when it is profitable for him.

dourdaydavide

very unlikely.
  • K Blackwell
    K Blackwell Posts: 1,539
    I think David Millar's comments are very articulate and help to capture the spirit of the Robert Millar as others see him, i.e., a huge talent, but so much his own man and his own counsel to the point that he never quite got what his talent deserved.

Definitely an enigmatic figure.
  • K Blackwell
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by pumpkin</i>

The only thing missing is the irony button. Well aware of the Andy Murray thing. He made the classic mistake of voicing what every true Scotsman thinks, i.e., that you always cheer for whoever's playing against the fu@cin' English.[:0]
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by K Blackwell</i>

The only thing missing is the irony button. Well aware of the Andy Murray thing. He made the classic mistake of voicing what every true Scotsman thinks, i.e., that you always cheer for whoever's playing against the fu@cin' English.[:0]

only in football [8D]

www.braveheartfund.com
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by BrianS</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by K Blackwell</i>

only in football [8D]

www.braveheartfund.com

And Rugby........
  • pumpkincp
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by suspectdevice</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by BrianS</i>

only in football [8D]

www.braveheartfund.com

And Rugby........

....personally I never could stand the English ping pong team...
  • Has anyone bought or ordered the book today? Just wondered.

tea is good
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by sing_for_absolution</i>

Has anyone bought or ordered the book today? Just wondered.

It's been available for a while now. I've nearly finished reading it now. Review when I'm done.

It'll be positive though.

[:)]
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by iainf72</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by sing_for_absolution</i>

It's been available for a while now. I've nearly finished reading it now. Review when I'm done.

It'll be positive though.

[:)]

It has? I only looked at when it's released on Amazon. Doh! [:I]

tea is good
  • msb123
    msb123 Posts: 274
    The only thing missing is the irony button. Well aware of the Andy Murray thing. He made the classic mistake of voicing what every true Scotsman thinks, i.e., that you always cheer for whoever's playing against the fu@cin' English.

which is why we all love to see the pathetic scots lose at every sport there is.[:D]
  • pumpkincp
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by msb123</i>

The only thing missing is the irony button. Well aware of the Andy Murray thing. He made the classic mistake of voicing what every true Scotsman thinks, i.e., that you always cheer for whoever's playing against the fu@cin' English.

which is why we all love to see the pathetic scots lose at every sport there is.[:D]

Which is as it should be msb. Chapeau.

I'm so glad we had this little talk.
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by K Blackwell</i>

Andy Murray had been asked by an English journalist if he was supporting Scotland at the World Cup, knowing Scotland were not in it, so there was some provocation to which Murray replied he'd 'support anyone but England' as a joke. I tend to believe Murray was provoked and he has a temper, not anti English.

________Our behaviour is a function of our experience.
  • K Blackwell
    I'm not criticising Murray, he merely quoted what any good Scot would say. If he'd have said he supported England I would suspect him of being gay[:)]
  • ricadus
    ricadus Posts: 2,379
    It arrived this morning and as a result work time has been punctuated by period of browsing and skim reading. Looks interesting, especially as I got hooked on cycle sport at about the time he was leaving it, so a lot of the 1980s history is uncharted territory to me.

The book itself is somewhat poorly printed, on rough paper that will probably turn the colour of stewed tea within a year or so. There's a odd parallel with cycling here, in that the underlying quality of British books (not the writing but the physical object) often seem second-rate when compared with ones made in Europe or the US.

<font color="black">london</font id="black"><font color="red">phoenix</font id="red"><font color="black">.co.uk</font id="black">
  • weyayeman
    weyayeman Posts: 1,141
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by sing_for_absolution</i>

tea is good
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/In-Search-of-Robe ... dZViewItem
    Dolly Parton certainly has some big hits.
    How son yee divent need gaan doon the Pit,coz thas plenty coal in the coal hoose
  • ricadus
    ricadus Posts: 2,379
    Thing is, if you buy secondhand, or a reviewer's unwanted copy of the book, then you're not supporting the author or the publisher who have invested their time & money on bringing it into existence.

<font color="black">london</font id="black"><font color="red">phoenix</font id="red"><font color="black">.co.uk</font id="black">
  • Finished it this evening and will do some thoughts later. The email exchanges with the author are very interesting and I think he hit the nail on the head when talking about the BCF and road.... And his comment about why he'd vote SNP was amusing.

Bob sounds like a nice guy if you managed to get to know him.
  • top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ricadus</i>

Thing is, if you buy secondhand, or a reviewer's unwanted copy of the book, then you're not supporting the author or the publisher who have invested their time & money on bringing it into existence.

That argument could be used for anything!! For example, by buying a second hand Allez you're not supporting Specialized or their cycling partners - who have invested their time & money on bringing the bike into existence. The only difference between a book and the bike is the cost.

This is my bike:
    http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p66/ ... ure001.jpg
    http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p66/ ... ure002.jpg
    http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p66/ ... ure003.jpg

I'm not criticising Murray, he merely quoted what any good Scot would say. If he'd have said he supported England I would suspect him of being gay[:)]

I don't agree with your summary of what you think Scots think of the English. If you hold a prejuidce, it doesn't mean others do. No good Scot is anti-English and good Englishmen don't make such generalisations either

________Our behaviour is a function of our experience.
  • peejay78
    peejay78 Posts: 3,378
    i started reading it yesterday; it's interesting, but unsurprisingly suffers from a lack of detailed involvement from millar. it's fairly well written, although not as good as rendell or fotheringham's prose. this is partly because of the title of the book and the problems associated with the (absence of the) subject, both of which have led to authorial incursion and some needless personal reflection. catch 22 though. i expect i'll finish it within the next 24 hours.

winter: http://tinyurl.com/2xkbbs
    summer: http://tinyurl.com/2hsagv
  • peter_andrew
    peter_andrew Posts: 373
    At last
    it arrived through the post yesterday. Now very tired as i read it until 2am. was the book that boring that it made me finally fall asleep.......... No! Fascinating and intriguing so far. Cant wait to see if Robert actually replied/talked directly with the author. Dont anybody spoil it for me now!!!

Peter
  • andrewgturnbull
    andrewgturnbull Posts: 3,861
    Hi there.

Richard Moore on radio Scotland now...

Cheers, Andy

http://www.stirlingtri.co.uk
  • cswebbo
    cswebbo Posts: 220
    Got the book from Amazon on Saturday. Trying to find time to read it this week.
    I 'met' Robert Millar on a Sporting Tours training camp near Calpe, Spain about 12 years or so ago. Nice guy, quiet, but would talk to you if approached. Gave good replies in a Q and A session on training/diet etc.
    Best day was seeing Robert dissapear up the Col de Rates on his mountain bike with spd sandals on, with only 3-4 of the elite gb road team hanging on to his back wheel. When i finally got to the top he looked like he had just got on his bike.
  • rorycp
    rorycp Posts: 152

Andy - Without a doubt Millar was Britain's best stage race rider and I have the DVD's of his successes. But the comment was that Millar was Britain's best ever cyclist; and by a long way.

Overall, in my opinion, and by other judges, Simpson was rated higher.

Of course some take it as a personal attack on their hero, like the Scot calling me a moron. Well, he should read the record books.

Or is wrong to voice an alternative opinion? Obviously not.

I think you're wrong as well. Millar was the most talented cyclist the UK has produced. King of the Mountains in all three major Tours and best placings of 4th, 2nd and 2nd in the Tour, Giro and Vuelta, in my view, is a more difficult achievement than winning one off single day races.
  • Ive just ordered it off Amazon, and came across this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Positively-Fals ... 193&sr=1-2

cant help feeling this might come back to bite..!

Also bad blood has a release date of June 2008!