Brooks Saddle thread

Comments

• Fab Foodie
    Fab Foodie Posts: 5,155
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by jimbarrow</i>

also used for the jelly in Pork Pies... if that doesn't put you off go for the Brooks, mine lasted over ten years!
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Err...not quite, the jelly in pork pies is gelatin, a protein from collagen from the skin and connective tissue in meat (Commercial gelatin is available from Pigs, Cows, Fish), whereas neatsfoot oil is a rendered oil (low melting point fats)from the shins and hooves. Hooves are made from the protein Keratin the same as in our fingernails.

BTW, "vegetarian" gelatin is normally Carrageenen from red seaweed.

Agree neatsfoot oil is stinky and unpleasant but worked well on my B17 when I first had it more than 22 years ago...

The pessimists of this world are rarely disappointed....
    Fab's TCR1

The pessimists of this world are rarely disappointed....
    Fab's TCR1
  • father_jack
    father_jack Posts: 3,509
    Just fitted b17 to my ocr, went for a 2x16 mile bike ride. Must say my bum doesn't feel like I've been sitting on a spikey mace, going to pickup another one.

<font size="1">
    Giant OCR-1 2005 | 2 x Cateye HL EL-500 | Cateye HL-EL400 | 2x Cateye TL-1000 | Lizard Skin chainstay protector | Cateye micro wireless computer | Laseredge Bikelights | Electron 5W+10W </font id="size1">
    Say... That's a nice bike..
    Trax T700 with Lew Racing Pro VT-1 ;-)
  • soltydog
    soltydog Posts: 47
    A couple of questions re Brooks saddles.

Would one saddle (ie std or narrow) be suitable for both a road bike & a hybrid due to the different riding positions ? I normally only do 20 miles at one go on my hybrid, so can cope with the saddle that's on, but i'm doing the TPT on it later this year & wondered if i could take a brooks saddle broken in on my road bike?

Also is the narrow going to be the best option for long distance on my road bike ? I've not had a problem previously with my 155mm Alias, but today after almost 80miles my bottom is suffering (I'm 6'6" & big boned if that makes a difference [:)])

Ta
  • father_jack
    I've ridden 36 miles with the B-17 on my OCR-1, the pelvic area is very comfy, but it's possible the nose touches thighs area, I think could be a bit narrower near the front. Must say comfort wise much nicer than the Fizik Pave, usually got sore bottom by the time I get home.

btw I don't have thunder thighs :-)

<font size="1">
    Giant OCR-1 2005 | 2 x Cateye HL EL-500 | Cateye HL-EL400 | 2x Cateye TL-1000 | Lizard Skin chainstay protector | Cateye micro wireless computer | Laseredge Bikelights | Electron 5W+10W </font id="size1">
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Bloke on a bike</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by FatBlokeFromFelixstowe</i>
    250 miles now on my B17N and it is starting to feel comfortable.

Is that your bum breaking in the B17, or is it the B17 breaking in your bum?

Bit of both i think !![8D]

My e bay bargain œ 31.05
    http://tinyurl.com/366awv

My commuting bike
  • father_jack
    Looking on ebay...what a joke
    - condition "really good"

Want a Brooks saddle for the roadie, but they're all too expensive [:(] edit found Team Pro, around œ53. Is it worth œ20 more than B17 Champion?
  • andrewc3142
    andrewc3142 Posts: 906
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Father Jack</i>

Looking on ebay...what a joke
    - condition "really good"

Want a Brooks saddle for the roadie, but they're all too expensive [:(] edit found Team Pro, around œ53. Is it worth œ20 more than B17 Champion?

I have both (on different bikes) and, yes, I think so.
  • rrsodl
    rrsodl Posts: 486
    Well, I just ordered the B17 Special but it's out of stock at the moment - they are expecting more stock in a week or so - If not then I would get the Team Pro, unless somebody convinces me I should go for it right now :)

As for looking after the leather I will use the same principle I use to take care of my cowboy boots, another hobby of mine :-) I own about 50 pairs of boots in all kind of leathers.

The worst enemy of leather is soil, dust. Another enemy is some of the products sold in the shops to care for leather :-) such as wax, oils, shoe polish, etc.

Leather has natural oils and does not need anymore unless it becomes too dry due to poor care. Excess oil, wax and other water protectors will only prevent the leather from breathing and shorten the life considerably.

It is unlikely that mud will get on the saddle but if it did then this is what I would do:

I'd first clean most of the mud off by placing the saddle under a running water tap and brushing it off gently. I'd then use "glycerine saddle soap" which I have used safely with non-distressed leathers such as cowhide, calf, bullhide, elephant, stingray, ostrich, kangaroo, shark and buffalo. I'd then remove the rest of the mud by placing the saddle under the tap again and with a cloth I'd swipe the leather gently. Finally, I add some more glycerine saddle soap and leave the saddle to dry naturally - never use a hairdryer or place it on a radiator, etc. always dry it at room temperature. Once the saddle is dried I can either wipe it, as it is, to get a nice shine or add some shoe cream such as Meltonian and then wipe it to get a nice shine. <b>At this point I want to mention that the saddle soap must be glycerine based. Others, non glycerine based saddle soap might harm the leather.</b>

I will not add any water repelan or protector to my saddle - I never use for my boots and they get soaking wet frequently in this country :-) I have 30 year-old boots and still going fine so why should I apply something to the saddle that will only stop it from breathing.

When the saddle gets wet in the rain, I'll leave it to dry naturally and then apply either some Bick 4 or glycerine saddle soap and when the saddle is completely dry I will finish the job with a little Meltonian shoe cream.

I'm planning to use glycerine saddle soap once every 6 or 8 weeks to treat the leather for the sweat that the saddle will be exposed.

I just wish Brooks used Kangaroo leather to make the saddle - much stronger than cowhide and yet so much confortable.

Some links for you :-)

Bick 4

Glycerine Saddle Soap -- Keep away from the mink oil :-)

For info

Meltonian shoe cream I will be using in natural colour :-)
  • father_jack
    Gor Carr, Day & Martin Leather & saddle soap (coconut oil, glycerine and cleaning agents) Guess it's ok for the saddle?

<font size="1">
  • rrsodl
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Father Jack</i>

Gor Carr, Day & Martin Leather & saddle soap (coconut oil, glycerine and cleaning agents) Guess it's ok for the saddle?

<font size="1">

Not sure about the coconut oil Father Jack.... if the % is low I guess it could be ok. I use thia oneand I know that one is ok.

How are you getting on with your saddle?

Rick
  • father_jack
    Good. Still hard though

<font size="1">
  • rrsodl
    Do they ever go soft?
  • rrsodl
    I found the Team Pro for œ50.40, Free delivery, and I coundn't resist it - I ordered one [:I] - I also found the B17 N for œ31 but I will try the Team Pro...

I hope it is as good as people say it is [:D]

I went for a ride today and I adjusted the seat 3 times.... trying to find a more confortable position [:(!]

I can't wait to change my seat now and enjoy free pain rides [:)]

Rick
  • Chris James
    Chris James Posts: 1,040
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by RRSODL</i>

Do they ever go soft?

They are not suposed to go soft, they just start to conform to your pelvic bones so that your weight is supported evenly.
  • rrsodl
    Thanks, it does make sense [:D]

Still waiting for my saddle and ready to try it out [:D]

Rick
  • rrsodl
    Well, the Team Pro saddle arrived and I went for a 10 miles ride with an Allen key in my pocket [:D]

I needed some minor adjustments on the way and the saddle already feels comfortable but not yet perfect, I think I need a little bit more adjustment and then just ride it a bit more.... the point is that I already feel that this saddle will make a big differemce in my riding quality and the saddle is well worth the money.

I am looking forward to riding more miles today.

How is everyone that purchased the Champion saddle lately getting along?

Rick
  • Greenbank
    Greenbank Posts: 731
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by RRSODL</i>

Do they ever go soft?

The leather may stretch over time.

My Brooks Swallow started to sag slightly after 1000km but just a simple 1/4 of a turn of the nut has sorted it out.

--
    If I had a baby elephant signature, I'd use that.
    --
    If I had a baby elephant signature, I\'d use that.
  • father_jack

I found the Team Pro for œ50.40, Free delivery, and I coundn't resist it - I ordered one [:I] - I also found the B17 N for œ31 but I will try the Team Pro...

I went for a ride today and I adjusted the seat 3 times.... trying to find a more confortable position [:(!]

Rick

Where from?

<font size="1">
  • Update on my B17N

Now done 400 miles and it is very comfortable. I did not realise how much until I was forced to use my other bike with the old gel saddle and could not believe how uncomfortable it felt.

The B17N rocks

My e bay bargain œ 31.05

My commuting bike
  • rrsodl

Rick

Where from?

<font size="1">

Hi,

The Team Pro was fro here but they don't do it anymore [:0]

The B17 Narrow is from here

I have done 50 miles on my Team Pro and no signs of braking in yet [:D]I found some info about the Team Pro and it seems that is the hardest to brake in coz the leather is so think [:D] it seems I'm gonna have some fun in the next few weeks lol - well. it's hard but no so bad - Either the saddles brakes in or my arse but I will be riding that saddle, one way or the other [:D]

Rick
  • father_jack
    I would say it's more flexible than out of the box, still hard but there is some give when pushing onto the top.

They have this one, is it the Team Pro?

http://www.discountcyclesdirect.co.uk/p ... c6fb69dab0

<font size="1">
  • rrsodl

I would say it's more flexible than out of the box, still hard but there is some give when pushing onto the top.

They have this one, is it the Team Pro?

http://www.discountcyclesdirect.co.uk/p ... c6fb69dab0

<font size="1">

No Father Jack, that is not the same as the team pro unless they made a mistake with the measurements. The Team Pro is 160 x 280 I think.

like this one

Rick
  • peterbr
    peterbr Posts: 2,076
    Hi everyone, inspired by this thread, I went out and got myself a Brooks. I last had one in my late teens - a standard Swift if I recall correctly. I'd be interested to hear some updates on other's experiences.

I bought a B17N. My thoughts so far:

1. Trying the standard B17, I found it too wide for anything but riding a very upright city bike. I think most people these days would be better served with the narrow B17 or another model. The B17N is still wider than most sports saddles.
    2. I found it fairly comfortable from the off but definitely "different" from anything else I'd ridden.
    3. It is extremely sensitive to tilt position. Every other saddle I've had has been slightly nose down. This one seems to work fairly neutral or even slightly up so your sit-bones are forced back into the body of the saddle.
    4. It broke in in no time at all - 100km or so. This might be because like others have said being heavy helps (for once). It's still improving and watching the change in the shape of the leather as it develops is strangely compelling. It really does "break in"!
    5. The saddle is extraordinarily slippery to start with!!
    6. You may need a layback stem as well because it isn't possible to mount the saddle as far back as most others I've used.
    7. Knowing what I know now I'd be tempted by a more expensive and sporty model such as the team or swift. the B17 is heavy and doesn't really look right on a modern sporty machine.
    8. Proofride does seems to have an effect on suppleness.

Overall it's very comfortable, perhaps not in the Ohhh, aghhhh category as some have said, but it's early days. For now I'd still prefer my Fizik Aliante for comfort which is also handily only 230g. But that cost twice as much and will no way last 10-15 years.

<hr noshade size="1">
    "Europe's nations should be guided towards a superstate without their people understanding what is happening. This can be accomplished by successive steps, each disguised as having an economic purpose, but which will eventually and irreversibly lead to federation"
    Jean Monnet, founding father of the EU.
    <hr noshade size="1">
    "Europe\'s nations should be guided towards a superstate without their people understanding what is happening. This can be accomplished by successive steps, each disguised as having an economic purpose, but which will eventually and irreversibly lead to federation"
  • peterbr
    peterbr Posts: 2,076
    After buying the brooks, I also have this strange desire to build my own wheels. What have you done to me!!

<hr noshade size="1">
    "Europe's nations should be guided towards a superstate without their people understanding what is happening. This can be accomplished by successive steps, each disguised as having an economic purpose, but which will eventually and irreversibly lead to federation"
    <hr noshade size="1">
    "Europe\'s nations should be guided towards a superstate without their people understanding what is happening. This can be accomplished by successive steps, each disguised as having an economic purpose, but which will eventually and irreversibly lead to federation"
  • father_jack
    Just ordered Team Pro for the roadie.

<font size="1">
  • kevinh
    kevinh Posts: 22
    I've had a team-pro since January (from Bikeplus sale - great vfm). I've done about 500 miles and it is just getting to be very comfortable. The leather is quite a bit thicker than the B17s I've seen so I expected it to take longer to break in. Great saddle: comfortable, good looking and should last a lifetime if I look after it.
  • father_jack
    Bought some of this, is it safe to use on the Brooks?

http://www.discountsaddleryshop.co.uk/p ... 11e25fb701
  • Wouldn't that stop the "breathing" of a Brooks?

I only use pure Lanolin mine. I know about Proofide but Lanolin has been my choice.

If a Brooks can't "breathe" ie let air circulate down there. then it leads to problems.

Brooks Professional for me
    I prefer the thinner profile, even for touring
    george

2 Bikes
    http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/imjibi/Bikes
  • Ste_S
    Ste_S Posts: 1,173
    My B17 got it's first soaking today.

Best to let it dry naturally, then re-apply proofide ?

Danger ! Men at work
  • rrsodl
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Ste_S</i>

My B17 got it's first soaking today.

Best to let it dry naturally, then re-apply proofide ?

Danger ! Men at work

Yes, just let it dry naturally and then apply a leather conditioner as previously mentioned here.

Jibi, I agree that Lanolin is also a safe way of maintaining your saddle.

Rick