Brooks Saddle thread

Comments

• Kirbycp
    Kirbycp Posts: 34
    Make sure that you don't get a Brooks with chrome plated rails - I've had two break in the last six months. The newer saddles have a matt black rails which aren't prone to this problem.
  • Chris James
    Chris James Posts: 1,040
    Yes, I have a B17N in black. They are supposed to be hard as nails and extremely difficult to break in. It was pretty board like when I first got it, but it is the only Brooks I have had so couldn't compare it to other models.

Anyway, the upshot is that it quickly became very comfy and not saggy. Which is good! Funnily enough from the internet it appears to be exactly the same weight as the B17 whereas I would have thought it would be lighter.
  • dannygcp
    dannygcp Posts: 151
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Ste_S</i>

Anyone had any experience of the B17 Narrow ? I use a Selle Italia Flite on my Giant, and was looking for something to complement my steel Carlton
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    I have had several B17 narrow saddles and would definitely recommend them over the standard version if you want to ride for any distance or at speed.

For the first couple of days it does feel like you are riding on a plank of wood, but soon breaks in, and after that fits like a glove.
  • dannygcp
    dannygcp Posts: 151
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Kirby</i>

Make sure that you don't get a Brooks with chrome plated rails - I've had two break in the last six months. The newer saddles have a matt black rails which aren't prone to this problem.
    What have you been doing to them?!? I have ridden one saddle until the leather completely perished, but have never had a chrome rail break.
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Chris James</i>

Yes, I have a B17N in black. They are supposed to be hard as nails and extremely difficult to break in. It was pretty board like when I first got it, but it is the only Brooks I have had so couldn't compare it to other models.

Anyway, the upshot is that it quickly became very comfy and not saggy. Which is good! Funnily enough from the internet it appears to be exactly the same weight as the B17 whereas I would have thought it would be lighter.

I have just puchased the B17N from my LBS in the last hour and was told that 500 miles was the sort of breaking in period. Here's hoping for a comfy ride.

My e bay bargain œ 31.05
    http://tinyurl.com/366awv

My commuting bike
  • d_c_h_w
    d_c_h_w Posts: 31
    My B17N took around 500 miles, but its worth it now. Just wish I could have got someone with the same size *rse as mine to do those miles for me.
  • Fab Foodie
    Fab Foodie Posts: 5,155
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by dannyg</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Kirby</i>

What have you been doing to them?!? I have ridden one saddle until the leather completely perished, but have never had a chrome rail break.
    Yep, over 22 years for mine....still going strong.
    Ti rails have been known to break.

The pessimists of this world are rarely disappointed....
    Fab's TCR1

The pessimists of this world are rarely disappointed....
    Fab's TCR1
  • Greenbank
    Greenbank Posts: 731
    Another anecdotal bit of evidence.

Both my Brooks (B17 Ti and a Swallow) were comfy from day one. No breaking in required at all, both saddles' second rides were 200km Audaxes.

--
    If I had a baby elephant signature, I'd use that.
    --
    If I had a baby elephant signature, I\'d use that.
  • andrewc3142
    andrewc3142 Posts: 906
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Ste_S</i>

Anyone had any experience of the B17 Narrow ? I use a Selle Italia Flite on my Giant, and was looking for something to complement my steel Carlton

B17 narrow (on MTB) is, well, like the B17 (on Brompton) but narrower. The Team Pro (on tourer) is better than both IMHO, but all are very good. Worth the little extra weight.
  • father_jack
    father_jack Posts: 3,509
    http://www.wallbike.com/Brookssaddles.html

Lucky saddle ;-)

<font size="1">
    Giant OCR-1 2005 | 2 x Cateye HL EL-500 | Cateye HL-EL400 | 2x Cateye TL-1000 | Lizard Skin chainstay protector | Cateye micro wireless computer | Laseredge Bikelights | Electron 5W+10W </font id="size1">
    Say... That's a nice bike..
    Trax T700 with Lew Racing Pro VT-1 ;-)
  • fatfreddy
    fatfreddy Posts: 332
    just ordered a B17 for my commuter. I read somewhere the saddle is supposed to be given a drop of proofhide first and then "wear old shorts for the first couple of rides". Is this neccessary? - i tend to cycle in my work clothes so don't want to mess them up. What do others do?

ff
  • father_jack
    Any updates from those who picked up Brooks saddle this week?

<font size="1">
    Giant OCR-1 2005 | 2 x Cateye HL EL-500 | Cateye HL-EL400 | 2x Cateye TL-1000 | Lizard Skin chainstay protector | Cateye micro wireless computer | Laseredge Bikelights | Electron 5W+10W </font id="size1">
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Father Jack</i>

<font size="1">

Sort of - it arrived and it looks good, however I now need to get some proofide and only when that arrives will I be able to ride it....
  • father_jack
    Using beeswax, means I can use it now :-) Also not paying over the odds for brooks named proofide.

<font size="1">
  • FriedSpam
    FriedSpam Posts: 2
    I'm new to all this cycling tomfoolery but am determined to become a seasoned bicycle commuter.

I have bought a Brompton to convey me through the streets of London Town of a rush-hour morning and was wondering if anyone can recommend a Brooks Saddle to go with it.

It obviously has to be as light as possible as the bike needs to be able to be carried around. The problem is; the Brompton has very small, high-pressure wheels so this would suggest adding as much suspension as I can carry!

Brooks's advice was:

Either,

1/ A Flyer or a B67 - Both are designed for road bikes and both have rear springs for suspension

2/ B17 Titanium - A light weight option, retaining good width for upright sitting position, but no springs. The titanium rail does give a small amount of suspension by way its flexing action. Price is significantly higher than the options in 1/ above

And they also told me that option 2 is not nearly as suspended as option 1. That suggests option 1 then?

Should I go for the Flyer or the B67 or would anyone recommend anything different from experience? Maybe shed loads of suspension with a B33?

-sorry for the long post btw...
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Father Jack</i>

OK have now done 60 miles on my B17N and it is getting better. The first 15 miles felt like I was sitting on a plank of wood however today's ride in felt much better. I find that after the initial 15 minutes of pain it really does seem more comfortable than my old saddle. I got some of the proofhide from my LBS at the time and given the small amount you need it looks like the tin will last a decade.

The other thing I like about the saddle is that it looks great as well.

My e bay bargain œ 31.05

My commuting bike
  • I have got my one on now. Not sure what model it is, but the one that Father Jack pointed out on Wiggle. Luckily it seems that I have a Brooks shaped backside as it is already the most comfortable saddle I have ever ridden straight from the box.

So thanks for the pointer Father J!
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by woodford2barbican</i>

I have got my one on now. Not sure what model it is, but the one that Father Jack pointed out on Wiggle. Luckily it seems that I have a Brooks shaped backside as it is already the most comfortable saddle I have ever ridden straight from the box.
    So thanks for the pointer Father J!

That's the standard B17. I went to my LBS and pondered for a good 20 minutes or so looking at the standard B17 and the B17N (narrow) and plummped for the B17N as it looked like the size was identical to my old saddle.

My e bay bargain œ 31.05

My commuting bike
  • nun
    nun Posts: 434
    I have 3 bikes all with Brooks B17s, 2 are well broken in and one is new. On the new one I sometimes find that after a long ride my left bottock is a bit painfill and has a developed a hard patch towards the bottom, between my legs. I'm thinking that its some deep bruising. Has anyone experienced this? What is it?
  • father_jack
    Just gone for a ride (raining) a few spots went onto the saddle and a few blisters have appeared :-( Will these disspear/flatten out? I have treated it with beeswax, when brushing the water off you could tell there was a waterproof lining...it didn't soak in like suede.

phew blisters have disappeared.
    <font size="1">
  • DLB
    DLB Posts: 631
    Just got my B17 yesterday and the proofide today. I did go for a short ride yesterday and it did feel comfortable from the start but also felt slippery. I kept slipping backwards and forwards as i rode. hope this doesn't continue.

*** Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're probably right ***
    *** Whether you think you can or think you can\'t, you\'re probably right ***
  • Ste_S
    Ste_S Posts: 1,173
    Where are most people getting their proofide from ? I thought there might be a tin with my B17 that turned up today, but there wasn't.
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Ste_S</i>

Where are most people getting their proofide from ? <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    Here

Well not most people. But you can.

--
    <font color="red"><b>Basil W Brush</b></font id="red">
    --
    <font><b>Basil W Brush</b></font>
  • Ste_S
    Ste_S Posts: 1,173
    Fred Williams do proofide ? Didn't think to ask there, as I haven't seen any Brooks saddles in the shop.
  • Chris James
    Chris James Posts: 1,040
    By the way, the slippiness will stop shortly, as your arse begins to indent the saddle.
  • DLB
    DLB Posts: 631
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Chris James</i>

By the way, the slippiness will stop shortly, as your arse begins to indent the saddle.

excellent.

Did 25 miles yesterday and very comfy it was too.

Proofide can be bought from www.chainreactioncycles.com

*** Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're probably right ***
    *** Whether you think you can or think you can\'t, you\'re probably right ***
  • FriedSpam
    FriedSpam Posts: 2
    Well as no-one seems to want to reply to me, I have plumped for the B67. Springy enough to smooth out the ride a bit and nice and wide to go with the upright position of the Brompton.

Shame it's patterned topped as the smooth, shiney ones look better but never mind...
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by FriedSpam</i>

Well as no-one seems to want to reply to me, I have plumped for the B67. Springy enough to smooth out the ride a bit and nice and wide to go with the upright position of the Brompton.

Shame it's patterned topped as the smooth, shiney ones look better but never mind...

Hi FriedSpam Sorry mate no idea on the B67 but you surely won't go wrong with a Brooks. 250 miles now on my B17N and it is starting to feel comfortable.

My e bay bargain œ 31.05

My commuting bike
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by FatBlokeFromFelixstowe</i>
    250 miles now on my B17N and it is starting to feel comfortable.

Is that your bum breaking in the B17, or is it the B17 breaking in your bum? [:D]

--
    <font color="red"><b>Basil W Brush</b></font id="red">
    --
    <font><b>Basil W Brush</b></font>
  • jimbarrow
    jimbarrow Posts: 17
    neats foot oil is from pigs! also used for the jelly in Pork Pies... if that doesn't put you off go for the Brooks, mine lasted over ten years!