Brooks Saddle thread

father_jack
father_jack Posts: 3,509
edited August 2007 in Road beginners
Please voice opinion and experiences on Brooks saddles. I'm not looking into spending more than œ40. For a Orbit Helium bike.

<font size="1">
Giant OCR-1 2005 | 2 x Cateye HL EL-500 | Cateye HL-EL400 | 2x Cateye TL-1000 | Lizard Skin chainstay protector | Cateye micro wireless computer | Laseredge Bikelights | Electron 5W+10W </font id="size1">
Say... That's a nice bike..
Trax T700 with Lew Racing Pro VT-1 ;-)

Comments

• vernonlevy
    vernonlevy Posts: 969
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Father Jack</i>

Please voice opinion and experiences on Brooks saddles. I'm not looking into spending more than œ40. For a Orbit Helium bike.

<font size="1">
    Giant OCR-1 2005 | 2 x Cateye HL EL-500 | Cateye HL-EL400 | 2x Cateye TL-1000 | Lizard Skin chainstay protector | Cateye micro wireless computer | Laseredge Bikelights | Electron 5W+10W </font id="size1">
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

B17 look no further. Fitted to three of my bikes. Comfortable from day one. Conmfortable over a 200km ride. Need I say more?
  • father_jack
    Are leather saddles ok in the wet, as long as it's dried off with a towel when you get home? It's not going to be left in the wet for more than half hour.

Are the suspension saddles worth the extra? Can you use beeswax or other normal leather treatment to it? Kiki Shoe polish?

<font size="1">
  • Brock_71
    Brock_71 Posts: 775
    Another vote here for Brooks.
    I used 'Neatsfoot' oil on my B17 when it was new, probably didn't need it though. It was comfortable after very few miles 'breaking in'.
    Brooks can start to creak after a while from the tensioning mechanism in the nose. A smear of grease or even a drop of 3 in 1 seems to remedy this permanently.
    The woman has a new B67 (sprung) which absolutely and immediately removed her discomfort over rides of 40+ miles which she was experiencing on a cheap selle royal that came with her bike. She rides in a fairly upright position.
    The brooks will be fine in short showers if you give it a wipe. You can purchase a brooks saddle cover to keep the rain off, personally I carry a cheap boots shower cap for it when on tour.
    Don't know about beeswax, I imagine that would rub off on your shorts giving you a shiny arse?
    If you're going to embark on a quest for the perfect saddle, Brooks would be a very sensible place to start in my opinion.

<hr noshade size="1"><font size="1">A bicycle is for life, not just for Christmas.</font id="size1">
    <hr noshade size="1"><font size="1">A bicycle is for life, not just for Christmas.</font id="size1">
  • vernonlevy
    vernonlevy Posts: 969
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Father Jack</i>

Are leather saddles ok in the wet, as long as it's dried off with a towel when you get home? It's not going to be left in the wet for more than half hour.

<font size="1">
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I keep a carrier bag stuffed between the seat rails to use as a 'shower cap'.
  • ciuffolotto
    ciuffolotto Posts: 236
    They don't suit everyone, FJ. I've tried to get used to one (actually more than one, two B17s and a Professional), but some of us just don't have enough, erm, natural padding. The last straw for me was on a ride round Morocco where I ended up cutting up my karrimat and taping it over the saddle. It felt like sitting on an anvil.
  • Brixtonfixed
    Brixtonfixed Posts: 127
    B17 does the business. They usually come with a tin of 'proofride' which sorts out the water problem; also with a spiffy seat cover (that is probably likely to get nicked, I rarely use mine). You'll need padded shorts to enjoy a B17, though; but this is infinitely better than the no padding/squidgy saddle alternative which, IMO, is not viable for anything other than the odd short bimble to the shops.
  • rickwiggans
    rickwiggans Posts: 416
    I've just (500 miles ago) started using one. My expectations were for it to have been uncomfortable until broken it, then very comfortable for the future. However - it has been comfortable from day 1. Maybe 60 miles a day three days running on a new Brooks wasn't the greatest idea ever - but it worked for me!

http://garstangcyclingclub.net
  • Robertcp
    Robertcp Posts: 19
    B17 every time. Both mine were comfy straight from the box
  • father_jack
    What do you think match a dark blue bike, black, honey or green Brooks saddle?

<font size="1">
  • Brock_71
    I like the idea of green (on your bike).

• Guy Young
    Guy Young Posts: 120
    B17 (Honey) is brilliant. Day 1 I thought "Blimey this is hard", day 2 "Blimey this is comfortable", day 3 onwards "Mmmmm..."
  • father_jack
    Is it ok to use leather soap on the brooks, is it an alternative to proofide?

oh I picked up B17 Special "Champion" in green for œ31 inc del.

<font size="1">
  • Canrider
    Canrider Posts: 2,253
    I would say use the proofide as it's what the manufacturer recommends. Naturally there are infinity+1 opinions about this, including neatsfoot oil (WTF is a 'neat'? [:)]), leather soap, boiling in paraffin, smearing with the blood of demons, etc..

Hope you like your Brooks, as with all saddles it's more of what you fit than what fits you. Mine's a Professional.

"We will never win until the oil runs out or they invent hover cars - but then they may land on us." -- lardarse rider
    "We will never win until the oil runs out or they invent hover cars - but then they may land on us." -- lardarse rider
  • father_jack
    I've found some clear Granger's G-Wax Beeswax proofing for leather. I think it'll be ok?

<font size="1">
  • Fab Foodie
    Fab Foodie Posts: 5,155
    To be honest on my first B17 I used Neatsfoot oil (think it's from ducks), dubbin, saddle-soap, Hydrolan was fave and it's lasted over 22 years and is now on my Turbo-mule.
    A small tin of proofhide will last for years, so maybe a good investment. Proofhide seems harder/waxier than other materials that I've used and does not soak-in in the same way that saddle soap does. I don't think you need to apply very often, just enough once in a while to keep the moisture out.

The pessimists of this world are rarely disappointed....
    Fab's TCR1

Fab's TCR1
  • father_jack
    ok just applied beeswax, heated up oven to about 200 degrees- joke ;-) 30/40 degrees just enough for the beeswax to melt.

I think leather soap with a just damp sponge will be fine but not until applied a few applications of wax/heat.

<font size="1">
  • Fab Foodie
    Fab Foodie Posts: 5,155
    FJ
    I put mine in the airing cupboard with the hot water-tank overnight...seems to do the trick!

If using the oven method...cook 'till the juices run clear to be on the safe side!

Fab's TCR1

Fab's TCR1
  • Aladdin
    Aladdin Posts: 29
    I'd be interested to hear how you get on with it, Father Jack. I'm in the same situation as you. My bike's fitted with the saddle it came with, some kind of Shimano ( a Shimano Plank I think [:0]) . I read all the recommendation on here and thought the B17 must be the way to go.

But then, when you go down to the shop and look at the thing, all of a sudden those nice padded gel ones next to it look a lot more appealing.

The most common advice seems to be that no size fits all, and that you just have to keep going until you find one that suits you. That said, if there is one saddle that is regularly recommended above all others, it has to be the B17.
  • father_jack
    Aladdin, I've bought a B17 Special in green. If I find it comfy (this is going on the helium) I'll probably replace the one on the OCR-1 as well. Noticed Brooks have narrow version, dunno why it's more expensive though- it has less leather so should be cheaper!

<font size="1">
  • Aladdin
    I'll follow your progress on here, FJ. I'd almost decided to go for a Specialized Avatar Gel. But as the Plank is not quite as agonising at it was at first, I think I'll hold off for a little longer.
  • father_jack
    I think Wiggle has made a snafu on pricing, this is the one I purchased

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.a ... l%20Saddle

On another site the same saddle is going for much higher price!

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product-Broo ... -12730.htm

Buy now! :-)

<font size="1">
  • Aladdin
    Decisions, decisions! But are they definitely the same model? The more expensive one is listed as a <i>Champion</i> Special.
  • father_jack
    Yup looks like it! Just looked at the pictures from SJS, different angles look spot on. And according to Brooks site the "special" is the one as the same as Champion

BUY BUY BUY ;-)

<font size="1">
  • Aladdin
    [:D][:D]
    Are you sure you didn't buy a few shares at the same time you got the saddle?

I must admit I'm tempted. I did a search for "brooks b17" on the the SJS site. Then went to the third of the three pages it returns. As you say, it looks like photo on Wiggle is the Champion (top left photo on SJS) but the price is the Standard (bottom right on SJS).

The description on Wiggle is somewhere between the two: it doesn't call it Standard , but it doesn't call it Champion. It does say it's copper though, which seems to be unique to the Champion.
  • father_jack
    On the Brooks site it says "special champion" and it's the only one with special in the title, and with copper rails, like you've mentioned.

What are the benefits of copper rails instead of stailess steel?

<font size="1">
  • Aladdin
    I don't know the benefits of copper, I'm new to all this. It might just be for the aesthetics. If it was a frying pan, it would be for heat dispersal [:)]

Just had a look at the Brooks site, and the intro video reminds me of how the Plank felt when I first got the bike!
  • Aladdin
    Done the deed! It's on it's way[8D]
  • I did it too. I don't even f**cking want one. Bloody wiggle making me spend money.
  • Brock_71
    I suppose those nice big smooth copper rivets are less likely to wear holes in your shorts than the standard ones.. I suppose they might turn them green though :)
    Definitely a bargain FJ, hope you find it as comfortable as I find my standard B17.

• Ste_S
    Ste_S Posts: 1,173
    Anyone had any experience of the B17 Narrow ? I use a Selle Italia Flite on my Giant, and was looking for something to complement my steel Carlton