Etape Caledonian

124»

Comments

• I'll be the carcass on the Allez in my green points jersey - not cos I can sprint but cos I can't climb.

Nwallace you may as well do the challenge route if you're going. I'm sure there will be space!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    O Lord it's hard to be humble, when you're perfect in every way.
    I can't wait to look in the mirror, I get better looking each day.
    To know me is to love me, I must be a hell of a man.
    O Lord it's hard to be humble, but I'm doing the best that I can.
    Will it be treats with Pocket and Sweets? Is that where we should go?
  • Regarding the bike-checking, they had better release some clear, concise information about that in the next few days.

I know someone else who phoned up and asked, and yes, the bikes are supposed to be taken to be checked.

It does not clearly state this on the information pack. Its words along the lines of if your bike is non-standard, then it needs to be checked . . . . most of us will be riding what we consider pretty standard bikes. I hadn't intended on bringing it.

Other thing is that you'll need photo-ID of some form to get the pack. Another thing to bear in mind.

MTB eijit
  • <b>Exact Wording from the Pack re Registration Day:</b>
    <i>Registration Day
    Registration will take place on Saturday the 23rd June, the day before the event. Registration will be in the
    Atholl Centre, part of the Baptist Church, and adjacent to Pitlochry Tourist Information Centre at 54 Atholl Rd,
    Pitlochry, PH16 5BX (please see map at the end of this booklet)
    Times: 12 midday until 10 pm
    During the registration process, you will be required to show a form of photo identification in order to receive
    your race pack. Within your race pack, you will receive your race number, helmet number, bike number and
    your timing chip.
    (1) Race Number - The race number must be displayed on your back during the event.
    (2) Helmet Number - This is a sticker which should be affixed to the front of your helmet.
    (3) Bike Number - Stick the number to the handlebars with the number facing forward.
    (4) Timing Chip - This must be attached to the front wheel of your bike.
    The Timing chip is registered against your race number for the results service and will provide times for the
    race if used properly. Due to the costs of technology, there will be a œ20 charge if you lose your timing chip
    once in your possession. Please ensure that you follow the fixing instructions.</i>

<b>Exact Wording re the Bikes:</b>
    <i>Bikes which are not of standard design must be cleared with the organisers before the event. The
    organisers reserve the right to withdraw a place if the bike is considered in their opinion to represent a
    danger to the cyclist or other participants.
    An approved cycling safety helmet must be worn by all participants while cycling in the event and comply
    with the various accepted standard such as ANSI Z90.4, SNELL B90, EN 1078 or equivalent national
    standard.
    Fixed wheel bikes (bikes that use the pedals as a brake) are not permitted in the event.</i>

If at first you don't succeed - give in and go for a pint!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If at first you don\'t succeed - give in and go for a pint!
  • However in the FAQ's on the Website:

<i>Why do I have to register on Saturday?

Registration is an important process for all mass participation events that confirms the person participating is the one who entered, <font color="red"><b>checks that the bike to be used meets regulations</font id="red"></b>, that they have their race numbers and timing chip for the event and have the latest information of route conditions and regulations.

It would place an enormous onus on resources to register 2,500 on Sunday morning before 07:30. We believe it is far safer and likely to produce a better event experience for participants if they are staying locally.</i>

• papercorn2000
    papercorn2000 Posts: 4,517
    I'll be the gonk in the EKRC strip with a shiny Airborne.

God told me to skin you alive.
    http://www.ekroadclub.co.uk/
    God told me to skin you alive.
    http://www.ekroadclub.co.uk/
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    Bit of a stushi on the national news (BBC Scotland) tonight about the road closures. Seems some local people are not happy about the "Lock Down" (Fortingall Hotel and the Church at Weem, in particular). Might be a good idea, if we get a chance, to acknowledge the inconvenience and thank people for their patience. It would be nice to be invited back.

anyway, I'm expecting my bike to be disqualified for being just too improbably elegant for an unathletic lump like me. Either that, or they'll get my lycras for being a danger to other people's sense of decency.

Enjoy!

"Fast and Bulbous." Capt.Beefheart.

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• pneumatic
    One more thing. Someone back up this thread mentioned the hairpin on the way out to Queen's View. It is relatively early in the course, at the end of a fast downhill stretch and you will have to brake to get around it. VERY HIGH RISK of wipeouts that could take several riders, or shunts caused by sudden braking on the approach. Not being a seasoned peloton rider, I have no idea what tactics to use to get through this obstacle but I am certainly looking forward to being past it. I only hope they marshall it somehow, but if not, spread the word.

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations

• gbyers
    gbyers Posts: 164
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by pneumatic</i>

Bit of a <b>stushi on the national news</b> (BBC Scotland) tonight about the road closures. Seems some local people are not happy about the "Lock Down" (Fortingall Hotel and the Church at Weem, in particular). Might be a good idea, if we get a chance, to acknowledge the inconvenience and thank people for their patience. It would be nice to be invited back.

anyway, I'm expecting my bike to be disqualified for being just too improbably elegant for an unathletic lump like me. Either that, or they'll get my lycras for being a danger to other people's sense of decency.

Enjoy!

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Yeah, it's here as well

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/tay ... 221816.stm

Seems a pity that it needs to be this way.

________________________________________________________________________________
    Anyone expecting to see a witty and imaginitive signature here obviously hasn't seen my username.
    ________________________________________________________________________________
  • snorri
    snorri Posts: 2,981
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by gbyers</i>

Seems a pity that it needs to be this way.
    It's a standard feature of the Scottish catering industry[;)]
    Gets the hotel name in the press-free advertising! Also, always have someone to blame, a ready story for the bank manager, just in case your profits are not up to scratch at the end of the year.[:)]
  • nwallace
    nwallace Posts: 1,465
    The borders villages around Duns, the Isle of Mull and Isle of Man all have 1 weekend in the year where people are marooned by sporting events. THere msut also be some running events that maroon people in their properties
    These events of course are all run by local clubs (in these case its motorsport) where as the Etape is being organised by a company from London (probably mistake number 1)

British Cycling and Cycling Scotland appear to have had some interaction with them, surley they have some experience in closed road events (or would that only be in towns?).

Considering that first it was the people of the Fearnan area who demanded redirection, then the revelation that bikes have to be checked and now it appears locals in Dull have had this dumped on them almost without them knowing.

Are there no rules laid down for things like Public Relations and communication with entrants for cycling events like this?

It's not unknown for sections of motorsport events to be rerouted due to a local having realised what the PR person was going on about a bit later than required to submit an objection to the route and parked their tractor across the road in protest. (Thats on open road events where the answer to an objection is to make it a non-competitive section and also designate it as a quiet section (somehow cars with road legal noise outputs suddenly become perceptivly noiser when following a preset route on a map))
    Do Nellyphants count?

Commuter: FCN 9
    Cheapo Roadie: FCN 5
    Off Road: FCN 11

+1 when I don't get round to shaving for x days
  • Noodley
    Noodley Posts: 1,725
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by nwallace</i>

Are there no rules laid down for things like Public Relations and communication with entrants for cycling events like this?

I doubt there will be anyone saying "see you next year" after this one.
  • At least the Sunday school prize-giving will go ahead.

• Earthbound
    Earthbound Posts: 109
    Surely 1500 - 2500 participants plus family members and supporters flooding in to the area for the weekend is a massive boost for commerce. I reckon it'll be tough to get a hotel room in the area, they'll all be filled with cyclists.
    The real complainers, as ever, are probably the god botherers. Shame about the prize giving, get them young give them treats, wash their brains.
  • scapaslow
    scapaslow Posts: 305
    Quote:

"Fixed wheel bikes (bikes that use the pedals as a brake) are not permitted in the event."

Does this mean that fixed wheel bikes with standard front & rear brakes are allowed?

I'm not doing the ride (found out about it too late) but i'd like to do it next year(hopefully it will become an established event). I wouldn't do it on my fixed either given the hills involved but I expect some folks might like the option and i can't see why a fixed with brakes wouldn't be allowed. Obviously (unless superhuman) you are not going to be competitive on a fixed but i don't imagine everyone is doing it from a competitive point of view. I would imagine some will consider just finishing to be the goal. I know i would.

Best of luck to all taking part and hope the weather is with you.
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by scapaslow</i>

Quote:

"Fixed wheel bikes (bikes that use the pedals as a brake) are not permitted in the event."

Does this mean that fixed wheel bikes with standard front & rear brakes are allowed?

I'm not doing the ride (found out about it too late) but i'd like to do it next year(hopefully it will become an established event). I wouldn't do it on my fixed either given the hills involved but I expect some folks might like the option and i can't see why a fixed with brakes wouldn't be allowed. Obviously (unless superhuman) you are not going to be competitive on a fixed but i don't imagine everyone is doing it from a competitive point of view. I would imagine <b>some will consider just finishing to be the goal. </b>I know i would.

Best of luck to all taking part and hope the weather is with you.

That's my objective. Plus I and the fellas I entered with have raised nearly œ2.5k for charidee, but it will be a privilege to take the start line (albeit 30 minutes later) with the more competitive fraternity.

• hey Tete -thought you didn't like to talk about your charidee work? lol

• Peter Main
    Peter Main Posts: 60
    Well they got loads of riders so the doom sayers were wrong. I'll let you know whether it was worh 50 notes!

pete-the-bike
    pete-the-bike

the idea is to die young as late as possible
  • pjm-84
    pjm-84 Posts: 819
    1293 out of a possible 2500? Just over 50% interest?

Paul
    Paul
  • Thought I saw above that the biggest ride on the UK (other than the TDF sportive) was around 1,000 and those with some history. I reckon the 1,300 they got is not bad for a 1st year....and all for less than a carbon bottle cage!
  • nwallace
    Just been up and registered, not as difficult as expected.

Looked at the layout of the chip for a coule of seconds to figure out how to put it on the "Quick release mechanism of the forks", and decided that the alternative of cable tying it to the forks was going to be easier.

Next step is waking up at 6 tomorrow morning, not going to bed till 4 this morning may result in this being difficult.

Todays courier suggests that it's only a small number of local businesses that are annoyed, all of which are going to lose an entire days worth of buisness due to being completatly inaccessible.

Also the weather is brightening up, with any luck there won't be much more heading north.
    Do Nellyphants count?

• Peter Main
    I drove down to register today, we left the bikes in the car and when we arrived at registration I said, "you don't really want to see my bike do you?". I was asked if I had tri-bars, I said no and that was that, they didn't want to see my bike. A bit of a waste of time to be honest.

pete-the-bike
    pete-the-bike

• nwallace
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Peter Main</i>

I drove down to register today, we left the bikes in the car and when we arrived at registration I said, "you don't really want to see my bike do you?". I was asked if I had tri-bars, I said no and that was that, they didn't want to see my bike. A bit of a waste of time to be honest.

Snap basically, "Should i get my bike checked before I register, its in the car boot and don't relaly want to build it in this rain", "You should really, but as long as it has normal handlebars when you build it".

Didn't even need ID to collect the pack either and i'm pretty sure i visited all tables.

Could have got the train up after all.
    Do Nellyphants count?

• nwallace
    Already posted in the thread on the Race section.

On the day organisation was much better than pre-event organisation seemed to suggest, appeared flawless to me.

Speedo reckons i took just under 2 hours, but that doesn't count for a brief stop. I'm frightened by the time taken by the fastest on the challenge route, was a round half 11 they got back to pitlochry. I'd have still been strugglng up a hill somewhere...

Niall
    Do Nellyphants count?

• pneumatic
    A lot of positive reaction to this event on the Race Thread. I had a great day. Everything about the actual race (start, marshalling, timing, the text message telling you your time) was great. If they can persuade the locals to have us back and sort out a better procedure for registration, this thing could become one of the most enjoyable annual events anywhere. One year, it might even be dry and sunny!

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations

• Peter Main
    tape Caledonia: Inaugural Event 2007

What a superb event. I can't fault the organisation on the day. It was brilliant riding on closed roads. I had no idea how much effort would be taken to make the route safe by coning off every possible entry onto the course (even gates from fields) and positioning marshals everywhere they could possibly be necessary. Riding alongside Lochs Tummel and Rannoch, creaming along in a group of 20-30, knowing that nothing was going to come round the corner towards us was just fantastic. The organisers went to a great deal of trouble to ensure that riders knew about tricky corners and other potential hazards. The bananas and water were very welcome too.

Despite some 'bad' publicity, we felt nothing but support as we rode along; from the locals as well as visitors who were out cheering and clapping; the piper standing at the roadside, piping us past was wonderful - my thanks to him. My impression was that, in general, the locals supported the event; it was great to see so some employed as stewards as well as the TA and St Andrews First Aiders also present. No doubt the council workmen and police on duty were paid overtime. The band at the finish was a nice touch. I came home feeling that what had seemed like an outrageous entry fee was entirely justified.

On the down side, pre-event communication needs to be improved; initially we were promised a start sheet four weeks ahead; we got it with less than 48 hours to go. The build up to these events is more interesting if you can see in advance who and how many have entered. The event website hardly changed for weeks on end. What happened to the promised regular news updates?

The Saturday registration and bike inspection was a joke; no-one wanted to inspect our bikes after we'd gone to the trouble of getting them to Pitlochry. How about an arrangement for non-overnighters to register early on Sunday morning or even post out the information and timing chip? In our case this would have saved an 80 mile round trip. There is no point in adding to pollution by making 'locals' travel between their home and the event just to register the day before. In the end, the process took only 60 seconds.

Personally, I had a great ride; my fastest of the year. One outstanding memory is of a motorcycle marshal coming alongside and warning me that there was a group coming up fast and maybe I could hook a ride. I managed that and punched above my weight for 10-15 miles before finally getting dropped. I'd forgotten that, at my age (60+) you can have so much fun on a bicycle. No-one seemed downhearted by some rain and the huge amount of surface water from the previous day's monsoon making it a very wet ride. It could be even better on a nice sunny day!

Was it worth the entry? Definitely, yes; if only for the closed roads.
    Was the course too easy? Well no, not really, just different and much faster than some of the hillier sportives I've taken part in; you can make any ride as hard as you like. There seemed to be plenty of hills.
    Does pre-ride communication need improving? YES!
    Would I do it again? Absolutely; those who decided not to take part missed a great day. When word gets out about just how good it was there will easily be another 1000 riders next year and it will be an even bigger, more exhilarating experience.

pete-the-bike
    pete-the-bike