Etape Caledonian

Comments

• zebedeecp
    zebedeecp Posts: 63
    you set of whinging tightarses, must be a scottish thing
  • Aye. Its a Scottish thing ... I imagine your jealous of us.

[;)]

MTB eijit
  • jsmithfym
    jsmithfym Posts: 296
    I'm doing it
  • zebedeecp
    good on ya im doing it too!!
  • arranandy
    arranandy Posts: 688
    That's my entry in as well. Let's hope its a nice day

Flying Scot? You must be joking!
  • KeithG
    KeithG Posts: 1,010
    Just did the route today in beautiful weather[8D].
    Quite an easy course as has been mentioned before but on excellent road surfaces (apart from the 2 mile section at the very end from Logierait to Pitlochry) with no potholes which is unusual nowadays for minor roads in the highlands. It is a really scenic route too, fine scenery and world-class views.
    There was a notice at the shop in Kinloch Rannoch about a public meeting tomorrow about the road closure on the day, I think the locals are revolting!
    Considering I'm 50 and riding a steel bike with mudguards, a Brooks saddle and Carradice bag (no beard or sandals and yes, I do do Audaxes), my time of 5 hours was not bad for me, this early in the year (not including shop stops).
    If anyone is interested in a forum ride to do the course again in May or early June, I'd be interested, it certainly helped me to plan my pace and gives a good sense of confidence for the big day.
    There are also a couple of tricky corners on descents over bridges which are worth knowing about and I'd forgotten about the "hairpins" before K. Rannoch on the way out.
  • Sounding good there Keith.

I'd possibly be up for a ride in that time frame.

MTB eijit
  • jorme
    jorme Posts: 3
    Etape Caledonia

Sunday 24th June 2007

Start Location: Atholl Rd, Pitlochry, PH16 5BX

The UK's first closed road Cycle Challenge, offering two distances of 83 miles or 25 miles, with the stunning backdrop of Highland Perthshire. A full road closure will offer a unique experience for participants setting a new standard for cycling events in the UK.

Web: www.etapecaledonia.co.uk
    Tel: 08713 849920
    Email: mailto:info@etapecaledonia.co.uk
  • Aidocp
    Aidocp Posts: 868
    Hi I was just browsing the courier web site and came accross this story it sounds good

If I had a baby elephant, who would take it for walks?
  • Seanuscp
    Seanuscp Posts: 1
    As a newbie to sportives I would like to say "fair play" to the folks that have put this together. Route is attractive and although the profile doesn't look like a row of jaggy teeth it will still be interesting to me and many others like me.
    Having witnessed first hand the sketchiness of the ToB road closures I'd say it's worth lobbing the cash to have it done properly.
  • Flying_Monkey
    Flying_Monkey Posts: 8,708
    I think it is a bit of a rip-off compared to other cyclosportives (at least twice as much), rather short and on a boring route.

But apart from that...

PS: I've never had any problems with cars on any of the sportives I've done.

Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety

Now I guess I'll have to tell 'em
    That I got no cerebellum
  • wakemalcolm
    wakemalcolm Posts: 678
    I'd have to agree with you there, David. When a similar event can be organised for a lower entry fee in the South East of England and also commit a proportion to charity, there's definitely something up.

To have a closed road policy around Loch Rannoch shows a startling lack of local knowledge - on all the times that I've cycled round it, there may well have been a closed road policy in operation for all the traffic that I saw.

I've had the same genes on for 13774 days now.
    ================================
    Cake is just weakness entering the body
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    I might do it but the route is pretty dull. I know some craking roads up at Loch Tay that could have offered a more exciting route and a lot less traffic. Still I might just do it for fun and to support the charity and it might trigger other sportives if the turnout is good as we could really have some classic ones up here with a little bit more imagination.

Brian B.
    Brian B.
  • wakemalcolm
    wakemalcolm Posts: 678
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Brian B</i>

I know some craking roads up at Loch Tay that could have offered a more exciting route and a lot less traffic.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    The Glen Lyon/south side of Loch Tay sportive. Yes please!

================================
    Cake is just weakness entering the body
  • Noodley
    Noodley Posts: 1,725
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by wakemalcolm</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Brian B</i>

I know some craking roads up at Loch Tay that could have offered a more exciting route and a lot less traffic.
    The Glen Lyon/<b>south side of Loch Tay sportive</b>. Yes please!

They'd have to get the tarmac sorted out first, or have a single file rule in place [;)]

I'm thinking of riding the route soon, if anyone wants to ride with me - I'll be spending the œ50 I have saved on new kit [:D]
  • Still can't decide if I'm going to enter this or not. However, the event is starting to make the news - see http://www.theherald.co.uk/search/display.var.1332580.0.churchgoers_object_to_cycling_event.php

As a regular cyclist in these parts - I hope the event doesn't end up causing bad feeling[:(]
  • arranandy
    arranandy Posts: 688
    Some of the roads up in that area are so quiet I was quite surprised when I saw it was going to be a complete road closure for the duration of the event

• Kramercp
    Kramercp Posts: 15
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by wakemalcolm</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by daowned</i>

But what do you get for your œ49 is there anything that you get when you finish the ride? How much gos to the official charities.

I see the website still has to be updated with this information.
    Hmmm, reading it again I'm not sure weather any of your 49quid goes to the charity. If they're negotiating to partner with selected charities, I'm wondering if there's the charity has to share some of the expenses of the event for the priveledge of being associated with it.

Does anyone know how it works with the London Triathlon?

Only 2,500 places mind. Better get your entries in soon.

London Triathlon is a company owned by Quintus Group, which has recently been purchased by the IMG media and entertainment group. I suspect the œ49 price tag is more about them making money than supporting charities. For that price you could have a full year's membership of the CTC AND Audax UK (fully insured), with enough change left over to ride half a dozen of their events! Also, what's the deal with calling it a race? If it's a race, do all the participants need to have BC licences? I notice they have a logo at the bottom of the Etape website. If that's the case you also need to add BC Silver membership at œ34 PLUS a race license at œ30. Total entry cost of the Etape Caledonia œ113!
  • zebedeecp
    when i was at school 49+34+30=113
  • Kramercp
    Kramercp Posts: 15
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by zebedee</i>

Well spotted. The real bottom line is you're getting screwed.
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Kramer</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by zebedee</i>

Well spotted. The real bottom line is you're getting screwed.
    Well don't enter then....I don't get the issue with some folk.

It's my money, and I'll spend it where I want. I know what œ50 is and how hard I've worked to earn it. I don't appreciate being called stupid, which is effectively what you're saying I am.

Send me your bank statements and I bet I can find plenty that I'd consider a waste of money.
  • zebedeecp
    Thought it was time this thresd was rekindled so that more people can moan about how much this event costs to enter, not me however im looking forward to it. If you enjoy cycling then i cannot see what the problem is paying the entry fee, it didnt stop the 5000 or so places going very quickly in British TDF Sportive.
  • Did anyone else get the email asking for example times from previous events to enable seeding?

My parents did. I didn't. Just wondering whether anyone got it.

I'm looking forward to it. It'll at least get me away from the ear-nip of not taking the wife to the Highland Show on the same day.

MTB eijit
  • zebedeecp
    I haven't received any emails regarding the event yet or about seeding. I have only ridden in two other sportives this year so far including the Etape du Dales
  • KeithG
    The local paper- the Courier- says the road closure has been officially approved by the local cooncil so I suppose that's a good thing!
    I notice the numbers expected to attend seems to have dropped to over 100 local riders and many more from "abroad" (means England as well as the USA and Canada apparently).
  • Brian B

I fancy doing it but it says on the web registration the day before. I was going to drive up there on Sunday morning but dont think I will drive there on Sat just to register. Can you just do it on the Event start?

Brian B.

Brian B.
    Brian B.
  • KeithG
    Pretty sure you can't register on the day. This might have been a carrot for the locals as it means that as compensation for the inconvenience, they get lots of bed-nights on the Saturday night.
    The organisers say that it's physically impossible to register a large number of riders on the morning of the event.
  • Brian B
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by KeithG</i>

Pretty sure you can't register on the day. This might have been a carrot for the locals as it means that as compensation for the inconvenience, they get lots of bed-nights on the Saturday night.
    The organisers say that it's physically impossible to register a large number of riders on the morning of the event.

I thought that myself and normally I would not mind but its a pretty pricey event in itself without the added cost of 2 trips in my gas guzzling 4x4. I think I would be pushing to stay the night as well as Mrs B has to put up with enough stays away due to cycling without adding to it with one on my doorstep. I think I'll give it a miss.

Brian B.
    Brian B.
  • You definitely cannot register on the Sunday, has to be the Saturday. I do think it is pricey when you factor accommodation etc in but as I'm all paid up I'm really looking forward to it. I've done that distance but not that level of difficulty before (am primarily a commuter). A pal and I drove round the course on Saturday (I got a bit carsick) and there is definitely a difficult end to the course from Logierait, as someone else pointed out. By that time though I'll be on my chinstrap anyways. Can't wait!

Haven't received one communication from the organisers since registering in Feb. Time's getting on...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Hey little thing let me light ya candle cos a momma I'm sure hard to hannana, yesaran
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Will it be treats with Pocket and Sweets? Is that where we should go?
  • Flying_Monkey
    Flying_Monkey Posts: 8,708
    I hope you all enjoy it. But I just really hope that the numbers of people doing this (unusually expensive) event doesn't convince any other Cyclosportive organisers to raise their prices. It does seem an awfully cynical price to me especially compared to other Scottish events like the Bealach-na-Ba, which had fantastic marshalling and food stops and partial road closures (and I think the full closure thing is a bit unnecessary and gimmicky anyway), all for less than half the price of this one. Events this pricey are fine for those who can afford it only as long as they remain one option for organised riding amongst many.

Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety

Now I guess I'll have to tell 'em
    That I got no cerebellum