Etape Caledonian

Comments

• agree about the road closure - we met maybe 5 cars and two buses in total.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Hey little thing let me light ya candle cos a momma I'm sure hard to hannana, yesaran
    Will it be treats with Pocket and Sweets? Is that where we should go?
  • jorme
    jorme Posts: 3
    A MESSAGE FROM THE RACE ORGANISERS:

If competitors are not recieving emails, please can they check their junk email inboxes, as the emails might not be getting through your spam filters.

Please see the link for further information regarding the seeding process.

http://www.etapecaledonia.co.uk/EtapeCa ... News1.html

See you at the event,

Regards,

Etape Caledonia
  • neil_pcp
    neil_pcp Posts: 65
    Rode the route last Thursday, great scenery and I saw my first red squirrel for ages but pretty flat for a sportive course, took me 5 hrs 3 min to complete including a extra couple of miles at the end when I missed a turning and ended up wheeling the bike over a foot bridge so say 4hrs 50 for the ride.

According to my Garmin however only 1191 metres of ascent which is what it felt like. Which is curious as, if you plot it on memory map you get nearly 2000 metres which is what the organisers claim. (Have any of them ridden it?)

The first 10 miles or so feel quite challenging as they are quite lumpy as you have 250 metres of up and down ascent as you climb from Pitlochry 105 m to the level of loch Tummel and loch Rannoch at 210 m it is then rolling and pretty flat until you reach Schiehallion. One thing to watch out for is at just short of 17 miles there is a short sharp descent preceded by a 90 degree left and followed by 90 degree right afterwards. I suspect the groups of riders will still be pretty big at this point and this spot is ripe for accidents so I suggest care here. You will know you have reached this part as it is preceded by a 14% gradient sign. The road around the lochs is rolling and I have to say very pleasant and there are no significant hills till you get to the side of Schiehallion which although significant with a couple of short 11-12 % pitches will not cause anyone who has done a sportive before any problems ( I did not have too much difficulty and I climb like a sack of potatoes) It is then downhill followed by another rolling section till there is a sharp left about 4 miles short of home. There is a slight sting in the tail with another short lumpy section with one or 2 very short pitches of up to 12%.

Road quality except for the last 4 miles I would say is good to excellent. In general the roads were very quiet though I admit this was a Thursday in mid week and this was to be expected. I have to say I doubt full road closure is necessary if the event was marshalled well. It could also have been more challenging by extending the route up Glen Lyon and over the more challenging and spectacular road by Ben Lawers (however this would have taken the route along the A 827 to Aberfeldy which they would have not got permission to close and thus lost their main selling point which was the road closures).

Whilst riding I passed someone in full Plowman Craven Kit with a photographer in tow so I wonder if a article is going to appear in the comic, they didn't however appear to be riding the course as I passed then a couple of times as they got out of a car to take photo's.

I summery a scenic ride with a comfortable amount of climbing the main challenge of which I think would be going for a fast time if you are so inclined.

See you there.

Neil
    Neil
  • Thanks for that neil. Confirms what i thought would be the case . . .

MTB eijit
  • gbyers
    gbyers Posts: 164
    Good write up Neil P

I rode the route yesterday afternoon. I added to the miles by doing Rannoch station and back and also got lost at Logierat looking for Cycle Route 7 direction back to Pitlochry - total distance 95 miles in 5hrs 34m.

On the outward leg it really is just rolling, I was in top ring all the way except at Queen's view and in another couple of longer, shallower inclines. Thought exactly as NeilP did at 17 miles when encountered 14% decline with a couple of very tight bends - could be fallers, better to seek space approaching it.

I had an easterly wind, so in my face for all of way back, more likely to be westerly if conditions on the day are typical. It won't be much fun if it's raining as there are wooded sections but lots of exposed lochside stretches and the main climb is open.

I did find Schiehallion steep and stayed in bottom (39 x 26) for most of the steeper sections but got up without having to seriously consider pushing - my climbing is also more laughable than laudable!

At end of the climb at the T junction there's a good stretch down towards Aberfeldy. This was signed at 9 miles and I did it in not much more than 20 mins - there are some sweeping bends so another spot for a tumble maybe?

The roads are all good. I also don't see where 2000m of climbing comes in; there are simply too many long flat or rolling sections for this total to be right. The stretch to rannoch is more consistently steep than much of the course.

Did it with a couple of water bottles and a couple of gels but cheated with a coffee and cake stop at the station cafe - asked for a refill of tapwater - told they couldn't give me one but to just fill from the burn, that's what they did. So i did and it was very refreshing!

traffic in the dozens, a few small buses as well. Didn't see any roadies but a couple of tourers pushing all the way to Rannoch.

If you hook up with a few good groups could be quick.

One worry - Pitlochry seems to have dozens of giftie shoppes but I couldn't see a decent pasta house.

Oh and I had a quick rear mech repair at escape Route, bike shop at southern end of high street - good lads and good mechanics.

________________________________________________________________________________
    Anyone expecting to see a witty and imaginitive signature here obviously hasn't seen my username.
    ________________________________________________________________________________
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    The climb from Pitlochry up to the Tummel is nice but not really challenging. For a sportive its pretty tame but the scenery is 2nd to none. There are four other big climbs up in the Loch Tay area that if I was going to have a sportive they would all have been included. It would have been a 110 mile trip with a real bite.

Brian B.
    Brian B.
  • Noodley
    Noodley Posts: 1,725
    If anyone fancies spending œ2 to get a route sheet for the Snow Roads 300k (which covers some decent climbs - Cairn O'Mount, Cabrach, Lecht and Cairnwell) I shall be riding it on the same weekend as the Etape Caledonia. I shall also be wearing lycra and having fun, maybe just not buying into the capitalist exploitation of cyclists [;)][}:)] And I'll have the satisfaction of knowing the route is worth riding [}:)]
  • KeithG
    KeithG Posts: 1,010
    Noodley, don't be such an old miserablist!
    Any day on a bike is something to be celebrated and enjoyed and if someone wants to pay (admittedly a lot) or go for a œ2 ride, who cares?
    The etape cal. is a new event and a "good thing" and to be encouraged. Not for everyone and with quite a few strings attached but an organised event like this is good for cycling as a whole and will be a good day out for those affluent enough to spend the w/e there and pay the entrance fee.
    Good luck to anyone on a bike that w/e whatever they're doing be it MTB, Audax, Etape or touring.
    I just don't think your capitalist exploitation argument stands up. œ50 for a unique day out once a year is not exploitation. I could spend that much on an evening out and tickets to live gigs or sporting matches can add up to that much.
    The more bums on saddles that day the better.
    Good luck on your ride, sounds like a knee trembler.
  • Noodley
    Oi, less of the "old" [:D]

but you are right, I am a miserablist.
  • gbyers
    gbyers Posts: 164
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Noodley</i>

If anyone fancies spending œ2 to get a route sheet
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

2 quid!! 2 Quid!! for a sheet of paper!

You don't know you're born lad. We never saw œ2 in us lives. When we lived in a cardboard box in a hole in the road we had to get up 3 hours before we went to bed to lick the road clean. And we were grateful. (Insert more proferssional Yorkshireman made good stuff....) [;)]

Anyone expecting to see a witty and imaginitive signature here obviously hasn't seen my username.
  • A trivia question for all you Etape Caledonians.

The route goes directly past a famous person's home. Who?
  • Noodley
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by fenski</i>

A trivia question for all you Etape Caledonians.

The route goes directly past a famous person's home. Who?

no idea, but maybe if I'd paid œ50 I would find out - it would need to be someone really really famous to be worth paying that amount?

How about I guess? That woman who writes Harry Potter?
  • Ach, you got it first time...
  • Bet I know which one it is too - just after queens view in the trees on the loch side - can't really see it from the north side, but saw it from the south side - big fancy looking freshly restored sandstone effort?

If at first you don't succeed - give in and go for a pint!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If at first you don\'t succeed - give in and go for a pint!
  • The Mechanic
    The Mechanic Posts: 1,277
    I guess the popularity of this ride is reflected in the fact that entry is still open 3 weeks before the ride.

Don't worry the man said, things could be worse. And sure enough, they got worse
    I have only two things to say to that; Bo***cks
  • So it's more of a rowling route then?

She could write a new book - Harry Potter and the Ringpiece of Leather.

Hey little thing let me light ya candle cos a momma I'm sure hard to hannana, yesaran
    Will it be treats with Pocket and Sweets? Is that where we should go?
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by SureSureSure</i>

Bet I know which one it is too - just after queens view in the trees on the loch side - can't really see it from the north side, but saw it from the south side - big fancy looking freshly restored sandstone effort?

Nope - it's on the stretch between Weem and Strathtay.
  • KeithG
    KeithG Posts: 1,010
    Do you know which of those big posh houses and castles on that stretch of road it actually is?
    And don't say it'the one with the wizards flying around outside!
  • Yes I do - don't think it's fair to be too specific on a public forum, but it's the one without any obvious nameplate by the road.
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> I guess the popularity of this ride is reflected in the fact that entry is still open 3 weeks before the ride.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

But with most sportives typically holding upto 750 ( the bealach was 500 when i did it ), its not really a surprise that Etape Cal. is still open considering its capacity is 2500.

MTB eijit
  • Flying_Monkey
    Flying_Monkey Posts: 8,708
    It'll never get that many, I reckon. The biggest two sportive events this year, confirmed by British Cycling, are the the British Etape, followed by the Northern Rock Cyclone which has nigh on a thousand entrants...

Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety

Now I guess I'll have to tell 'em
    That I got no cerebellum
  • Peter Main
    Peter Main Posts: 60
    Does anyone actually know how many riders they have got for the Etape Caledonia or is it a big secret?

pete-the-bike
    pete-the-bike

the idea is to die young as late as possible
  • Noodley
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Peter Main</i>

Does anyone actually know how many riders they have got for the Etape Caledonia or is it a big secret?

pete-the-bike

25 [;)][:D]
  • nwallace
    nwallace Posts: 1,465
    In theory i am doing the intermediate route.
    However Edinburgh -> St Andrews might have just put and end to that.
    Do Nellyphants count?

Commuter: FCN 9
    Cheapo Roadie: FCN 5
    Off Road: FCN 11

+1 when I don't get round to shaving for x days
  • sonicred007
    sonicred007 Posts: 1,091
    the more sportives, the better - surely

its only two years or so ago that this type of event was almost unheard of. now they seem to get more mainstream coverage than the professional sport of cycling.

good luck to all taking part
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    nwallace, shame on you. It (i.e. the weather) can't be as bad as the Edinburgh St Andrews; not two weeks in a row. It's June, after all! Ok, well maybe it can. Anyway, I did the route a couple of days ago. It is not as challenging as it could (perhaps should) be, but it is stunningly beautiful and the lure of closed roads is appealing. As for the debate about whether it is worth 49 quid, I'll tell you this time next week, but I know I've wasted a lot more than that just watching sporting events, never mind taking part.

"Fast and Bulbous." Capt.Beefheart.

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• papercorn2000
    papercorn2000 Posts: 4,517
    It seemed like a good idea back in January. Still, Perthshire is nice and we're making a weekend of it, wives and kids and stuff. Mind you will it be worth œ49?
    In hindsight, I may see if the organiser can arrange a couple of hours with his ...[:D]

God told me to skin you alive.
    http://www.ekroadclub.co.uk/
    God told me to skin you alive.
    http://www.ekroadclub.co.uk/
  • nwallace
    nwallace Posts: 1,465
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by pneumatic</i>

nwallace, shame on you. It (i.e. the weather) can't be as bad as the Edinburgh St Andrews; not two weeks in a row. It's June, after all! Ok, well maybe it can.

Not the weather, more the recovery of my aching limbs and a lack of cycling between April and last weekend. Did a decent amount of training for Inverness to Perth at the end of March and then forgot (read as c.b.a.) to keep going for this pair. I'm sure my attitude will have changed by the time i wake up on saturday.
    Do Nellyphants count?

Commuter: FCN 9
    Cheapo Roadie: FCN 5
    Off Road: FCN 11

+1 when I don't get round to shaving for x days
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    Good, see you there. I'll be the f.b. on the Specialized Roubaix in a Saltire top and blue helmet rolling backwards on the climbs.

"Fast and Bulbous." Capt.Beefheart.

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• Peter Main
    Peter Main Posts: 60
    I phoned the Etape people yesterday and they insist they must check all bikes on the Saturday but they couldn't tell me why! The registration information does not mention the need to take a bike so there will be lot of arguments on Saturday. What are they going to do with all the people who turn up to register on Saturday without a bike, disqualify them before they start? I asked what would happen if my bike is checked and Ok on Saturday and it breaks and I get injured on Sunday, would they take responsibility. I got no answer.

hope I have a great day (and everyone else) but it'll be a nice Audax next year.

pete-the-bike
    pete-the-bike

the idea is to die young as late as possible