Get your local loop in Cycling Plus

124»

Comments

• hamkor04
    hamkor04 Posts: 12
    Hi guys
    Please could you point me to someone who organises groups in Cardiff, UK. my first time on Road Bikes, very excited to learn and find new people
    Answers much appreciated
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    hamkor04 wrote:
    Hi guys
    Please could you point me to someone who organises groups in Cardiff, UK. my first time on Road Bikes, very excited to learn and find new people
    Answers much appreciated

Cardiff Ajax is fantastic. Loads of members and organised rides and it's easy to find people to ride with on a daily basis. There are everything from beginner groups to those who compete and everyone is super friendly. Check you their website or Facebook page (easier to get responses).
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • durhamwasp
    durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
    Team Snook Cycling would love to show your fine magazine round a NE route, maybes part of one of the sportives up here this year?!
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    traffic free roads? Is there such a thing?
    I found one up a Pennine last weekend. But road is a bit of a stretch as the tarmac stops at 400m. You head to Consett on the Ncn 14 until you get to NCN 7 follow that to Rowley, take the A68 south to the B6296 to Wolsingham follow the A689 to Frosterley then bypass Stanhope via Intake Lane, up and over a 500m hill where the road run out then down a gravel track to Meadows Edge, then it's down Bale Hill to Blanchland and through Slaley Forest to Hexham, West on the B6531 out of Hexham and over the A69 and follow the North Tyne via Homer's Lane to the B6381 Military Road, big climb after crossing the river at Chollerford. Then you're following the ridge that Hadrian built his wall on all the way back to Newcastle.

Let me know when you want to come ride it.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    If you fancy a trip to suffolk I would take up all of west suffolk's most spitful climbs, hartest hill and the dalham wall (plus lots more) in a 50 mile route that will have your heart pounding and legs screaming for rest. Quiet country roads would be used as that is were all the steep climbs are. I could rope a few people in form the local clubs to make a group.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Loads of traffic free roads around here, i go out 50 - 60 kms maybe see 4 or 5 cars,
    if you go out at night the only thing your'e likely to see are Deer and Wild pigs.
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,241
    Hardly england though is it you plonker.

+1 on the cragg vale loop, thats local to me but I'm slow and shit so you wouldn't want to feature me.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • Ron Stuart
    Ron Stuart Posts: 1,242
    Very lucky to be able to ride from home and get this one in..... http://ridewithgps.com/routes/4426557 :D
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,150
    60 miles almost traffic free.

Start Stranraer on London Road. Head East along the A75 for few hundred yards. Turn left onto Commerce Road. Follow the signs to Lochans on the A77. Turn left onto the B7077 and keep going till the turn off for Glen Luce Abbey (crosses the A75). Ride towards the abbey, turn right and immediately turn left up the hill. Ride to the top (2 miles) and turn left to Three Lochs. Keep going until the T junction, turn left and follow the signs to Barrhill. Turn Left out of Barrhill and follow the signs to New Luce. At New Luce, you have two option home - 9 miles back to Stranraer or the extra 14 miles and an extra long climb thrown in to Innermessan, then Stranraer.

You can use back roads to get to the Abbey and avoid most traffic and the A75 but it is a bit complex. From Three Lochs to Barrhill and New Luce is virtually traffic free. Be prepared for cattle grid hell though! The road from Barrhill to New Luce (17 miles) is over moor land and it as a beautiful valley and plateau.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • dov2711
    dov2711 Posts: 131
    This quote from earlier sums up why I have little interest in the route sections of any cycling magazine. Surely it's not beyond the imagination to have guest writers providing something across the UK broken up into geographical sections. The one token Scottish route usually in a more extreme part of the country is useless

Also through bike radar add a tab with a link to a garmin file and access to a data base of rides and you then have a library for people who do travel/holiday in the UK to view. Otherwise they are dead once the next issues out. Due to work meetings and family visits I've been riding this year in Oxford, Cambridge, London, Nairn, Glasgow and Lake District would have found it a great help to dip into such a resource.

As it stands the chances of such a trip fitting with a ride which is "current" is minimal. The gps way forward would certainly help with confidence for many people.
  • pinno

The one token Scottish route usually in a more extreme part of the country is useless

Cheers :roll:

Many people head this way on cycling holidays. We are at one end of the 7 Stanes. It requires the collective and some input to map as many routes as possible.
  • yertez
    yertez Posts: 80
    Living in Southampton, 2 fave routes:

1) Hop on the ferry and do the circumnavigation of the Isle of Wight - 66 miles or approx 80 to get right into the 'corners'.

2) New Forest + beach 75 miler:
    Southampton - Romsey - West Wellow - Bramshaw - Fritham - Linwood - Ringwood - Burley - Christchurch(Friar's cliff Beach Cafe) - Sway - Brockenhurst - Beaulieu - Pooks Green - Eling Tide Mill - Southampton
  • Living in SE London we are blessed with lots of rolling hills, little snorters of climbs and a plethora of stunning villages:
    https://ridewithgps.com/routes/6208590
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,807
    Why is this still a sticky?
  • pinno
    Why is this still a sticky?

Maybe it's an eternal loop, which is poetic and apt.