Get your local loop in Cycling Plus

Comments

• Gunner Rodgers
    Gunner Rodgers Posts: 3,860
    www.mtb-extreme.co.uk

Gunner Rodgers
  • OFOAB
    OFOAB Posts: 905
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by John C.</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by on the road</i>

Traffic free roads? Is there such a thing?
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I'd tell you where to find traffic free roads even on a bank holiday but Gunner Rodgers will shoot me !!

He who spins lasts longest

It's OK John C you can spill the beans. There's these map type doodahs called OS Landthingie 1:5lots of zeros and in our part of the world (North Yorks) if you follow the skinny white roads (especially dotty edged ones) with lots of wiggly brown lines and chevrons (preferably doubles)across them, chances are you'll have the world to yourself: If Gunner comes gunning for you you could tell him that's how they found out.

I wish I was any place but the someplace I'm in
    I wish I was any place but the someplace I\'m in
  • TrekVetcp
    TrekVetcp Posts: 248
    My Route 5 is a 51mile circuit. Takes about 3hr. 37mins. (net) Starts and finishes at Westbury (Wilts.) Market Place, B3098 to Woodborough garden centre cafe, and back via Caen Hill and Keevil. Part runs on Wiltshire Cycleway no. 4 and Pewsey area exclusive(?) "Quiet Lanes".

I`m 57 and love fitting in my fitness rides around my job as a train driver, so sometimes I`m out riding still up from yesterday having already driven 190 miles! I ride my Airborne Zeppelin around the local lanes (such as above) noting the route as I go, then checking the directions on the OS map, and entering the route up on my website. I do charity rides such as the Wessex100, rather than local club rides as these are just out of my league. I`m doing a route 5 ride this Saturday 29th. starting 1pm - if I`m back from Theale in time!

--
    Q. How do you find your Speedplay pedals?
    A. Easy, I keep them at the ends of my cranks.
    --
    Q. How do you find your Speedplay pedals?
    A. Easy, I keep them at the ends of my cranks.
  • Diogenes
    Diogenes Posts: 1,628
    Big chunk of my local loop in this months C+. Helmsley, Ingelby Greenhow, Battersby, Kildale etc. Don't do the chimney though, too much of a coward[:D] Gunner has some decent photos of bits of it on his website, especially the top of clay bank.

D[:D]

If God wanted me to drive a car, he'd have given me three legs.
  • boneheadcp
    boneheadcp Posts: 98
    I have a terrific training ride from Longwell Green, Bristol.
    About 64Miles 4/5 hours cycling depending how strong I'm feeling !
    Keynsham, Chew Magna, Around Chew Valley Lake, climb up on to the Mendips, Charterhouse, Shipham, Cheddar,up through the Gorge, Priddy, Chewton Mendip, Bishop Sutton, Stanton Drew, Pensford, Compton Dando, Keynsham.
    Plenty of cafes, couple of good pubs, some lung heaving climbs and some superb views.
    Cheers,
    Andy.

A.J.GREENHAM
    A.J.GREENHAM
  • douglegge
    douglegge Posts: 4
    Done this loop a couple of times now in both directions. Start in Hazlemere, going clockwise on lanes through Petersfield to the very scenic villages of East & West Meon the ride drops into Winchester for a coffee. It continues north towards the Candovers, to Farnham then through Frensham Ponds to Hindhead (which has a bit of a climb!), from Hindhead it's downhill all the way to a finish at bang on 100 miles in Hazlemere again.

Parking no problem and you can start at the NT cafe in the Devils Punchbowl (Hindhead) or do the route going anticlockwise.

If you would like further details let me know

Doug
    Getting fitter, going faster, hurting just the same!!!
  • Hugh A
    Hugh A Posts: 1,189
    I do quite a few nice loops similar to Bonehead's but starting in South Bristol so not quite so long - taking in Burrington coombe and Cheddar then back via Dundry.

I used to wish...
    I\'m sure I had one of those here somewhere
  • mousecp
    mousecp Posts: 502
    What about Northumberland. Magazines rarely feature anything north of Yorkshire. I have a few beautifull, almost traffic free, routes from Hexham that would test your climbing legs. What about it?

[8D][8D][8D][8D]
  • sugar777
    sugar777 Posts: 46
    Hi Neil,
    I like the idea, but what about incorporating the ride with a local club, you coud mention some interesting facts about the club, details and anacdotes! You could ride with the club on their favourite route, i think it could be more interesting than riding with just one or two people, and it could be a good way to encouraage people to join a club which is no bad thing!

I myself don,t belong to a club, i wish i had the time at the moment! But i did do my first club ride in Feburaury ( i chose the windiest day of the year) and i really enjoyed it as their quest. It was actually the Bath cycling club and we did a ride along the cycle path towards bristol. pucklechurch, Chipping sodbury across to Castle Coombe Box and back. Beautiful countryside and a nice bunch of freindly riders so a nice morning out! Since you are based in Bath what about starting with a ride with them and chosing one of the great rides around Bath. Then next month a ride with say a club in Dorset
    or Doncaster.....etc

There are no shortage of clubs or rides! I think people sometimes find the idea of joining a club intimidating but i,m sure most are freindly and helpful.
    I hope this is helpful Neil.
    Simon
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Diogenes</i>

Big chunk of my local loop in this months C+. Helmsley, Ingelby Greenhow, Battersby, Kildale etc. Don't do the chimney though, too much of a coward[:D] Gunner has some decent photos of bits of it on his website, especially the top of clay bank.

D[:D]

If God wanted me to drive a car, he'd have given me three legs.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"><i></i><center></center>
    Yes looks like a lovely area have to say. And all that in your back garden. wow......sounds like a great excuse for a weekend away sometime. [:D]

Argon 18 Platinum - Campagnolo Record - Mavic Ksyrium SSC SLs
  • pgscp
    pgscp Posts: 1,102
    I often visit Bristol and do a loop across the Severn Bridge to Wales and back, would be pleased to send full details if you like, can be done on any type of bike.
  • chisacp
    chisacp Posts: 1,564
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by 1x1</i>

Why would 'entirely NCN or byway' routes be 'so much the better'?
    (serious question)
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">because cycling plus has turned into a ciclosportif and touring magazing for fat over-40s on colnagos[:D]

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by stiffback</i>

You should come to the Rhondda sometime. To start your ride you have to either climb the Rhigos or the Bwlch mountains, both of which feature in the Dagon Ride. After that you can have a play in the Brecon Beacons! If you don't like climbing though, you are probably not going to have a happy day!

Aahh,I Love the smell of road kill in the morning

Lol Caerphilly 'ere. Similar situation. Surrounded by bloody mountains/hills and the brecon beacons is pretty much going to be part of any route I make around here of any decent length. Grrrr.. Nightmare specially when im only just starting out in the biking world. :D

Currently stuck doing shuttle runs along the Taff Trail for kicks and simplicity (Caerphilly -> Cardiff and Back again so I get to encounter the mighty thing that is the Castell Coch ascent/descent if I can be arsed to deal with it Otherwise its just a long slog up from taffs well).
  • road-runner
    road-runner Posts: 8,630
    Neil, what do you have planned for the weekend of 28/29 October? CTC South Bucks is organising a weekend of rides in the Chilterns. See Golden Beeches Weekend, currently at the bottom of this page.
  • My route would be to start at the Afan Argoed cafe (near Port Talbot, S.Wales), through Pontrydyfen to Neath. Past Aberdulais and continue on old road upto GlynNeath. Go up climb to Cefn Rhigos which is quite a long climb (2miles or so). Once up here go on road towards Treorchy. This is I think a Catorgry 2 climb (about 3miles long, but steady gradient). Decend from the top into Treorchy at over 40mph. Ride down the valley until traffic lights. Go up A4061 to the Bwlch-y-Clawdd. Another Catorgry 2 (pos cat 1?) climb. If you want, stop for an ice cream at t-junction. Turn off at t-junction onto A4107 and climb to about 530metres and get rewarded by awesome views! Decend into the Afan valley on v.fast decent (faster than Rhigos decent). This valley is quite challenging but still fast. Race down to Afan Argoed's cafe for refueling and much needed rest!

Stats of ride
    45miles
    2000metres of climbing

If you're down in South Wales this is a cycling must!!!!!
  • Very sorry all for posting a request on here then disappearing - what with all these alleged drug cheats trying to ruin our magazine it's been even more hectic than 'normal', before, during and after the Tour... Also we're a man (well woman actually) down on the team now so I temporaily lost that day out the office over the last few months. Dammit! But the empty chair should be filled again soon and I should be able to give this thread - and the rides it should create - the attention they deserve.
    All the best,
    Neil
  • i enjoy an excellent ride, starting in lambourn accross the downs, into wiltshire and dropping down and then up to marlborough, which has the widest highstreet in the uk. we then head towards hungerford and then back round to lambourn. full of beatiful rolling countryside and fitness maintaining climbs. worth checking out![:D]
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by np@cyclingplus</i>

I should be able to give this thread - and the rides it should create - the attention they deserve.
    All the best,
    Neil

Sorry lads, that means you're stuffed.
  • I've got a loop that I usually cycle on a weekend with my cycling buddy. We leave Bristol via Long Ashton make our way to Brockley Combe, then through Chew Stoke to West Harptree up on to the Mendips via Geendown, along the B3134 down into Blagdon, up Burrington Combe, Charterhouse, Lillypool farm (tea and cake)Shipham, Churchill, Lower Langford, Wrington, Redhill around the airport, Farleigh, Flax Bourton (sadly main road again)Belmont Hill, back to Bristol.
    The route is hilly and only a few sections are really busy.
  • hevipedal
    hevipedal Posts: 2,475
    Neil
    Here's one for North London even us capital city dwellers can find a hill or two
    http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=447026

only 9 km in total but the circular part can be done as many times as you like; or can because like might not come into it the second or third time up over the top.

Hevipedal
    50 and Proud of it - 6 inches off the waist
    Next job's L'Etape
    Pedal to Paris Sept 2007 ? I've been bugged
    www.mikenugent.co.uk
    Hevipedal
    It's not only people that are irrational; 1.4142135623730950488016887242096980785696718753769480731766797379907324784621
  • hevipedal
    hevipedal Posts: 2,475
    Living here north of London and inside the M25 there is a definite shortage of mountains; however ther are a few damn fine hills. This is a 50km route (actually 51km but who's counting). A gentle start, then a steady climb at 10k followed at 14k by a steep climb. This leads straight into a long steady climb to 22k. A good run downhill leads to the final steep climb at 26k. A plateau with false flats and then downhill to 35k. Then a long flatish run home. A good ride out. But do it on Sunday; on weekdays some of these roads are busy.

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=448862

Hevipedal
    Next job's L'Etape
    www.mikenugent.co.uk
    Hevipedal
    It's not only people that are irrational; 1.4142135623730950488016887242096980785696718753769480731766797379907324784621
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by jonathan15</i>

My route would be to start at the Afan Argoed cafe (near Port Talbot, S.Wales), through Pontrydyfen to Neath. Past Aberdulais and continue on old road upto GlynNeath. Go up climb to Cefn Rhigos which is quite a long climb (2miles or so). Once up here go on road towards Treorchy. This is I think a Catorgry 2 climb (about 3miles long, but steady gradient). Decend from the top into Treorchy at over 40mph. Ride down the valley until traffic lights. Go up A4061 to the Bwlch-y-Clawdd. Another Catorgry 2 (pos cat 1?) climb. If you want, stop for an ice cream at t-junction. Turn off at t-junction onto A4107 and climb to about 530metres and get rewarded by awesome views! Decend into the Afan valley on v.fast decent (faster than Rhigos decent). This valley is quite challenging but still fast. Race down to Afan Argoed's cafe for refueling and much needed rest!

Stats of ride
    45miles
    2000metres of climbing

If you're down in South Wales this is a cycling must!!!!!

C Weekly did part of this route in last weeks rag with the other Swedish rider whose name escapes me at this precise moment (he who lives with Magnus Backstedt). The climb up from Treorchy is fun.
  • I love to cycle around the Ashdown Forest, thee are some amazing good views, some good hills and a few places to stop for a rest!

Power to the Pedal

http://charitybikeride.mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/
  • walkercp
    walkercp Posts: 1,012
    Why not do this but readers send in their own pictures and maps and write in their own column?
    Baby Elephants - free from artificial flavourings, colourings and preservatives
  • robbarker
    robbarker Posts: 1,367
    We might have to soon :-)

Here's my latest favourite loop anyway - a slight mod on the one I mentioned earlier and simply stunning to ride.
  • robbarker
    robbarker Posts: 1,367
    Oops.. here's the map..

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=487196.

It includes the new Sustrans Monmouth - Symonds Yat cycle path
  • Mark.Scp
    Mark.Scp Posts: 514
    i live near bristol and one of my favourate rides is:

thornbury/chepstow/tintern/trellech/chepstow/thornbury

even though it is shortish at 40 miles, there is a fair amount of climb!

Mark

In sport, losing is the end of the world

In sport, losing is the end of the world .....
    la marmotte xD

• Omegabri
    Omegabri Posts: 210
    MMMmmmm....this all looks very familiar chaps.
    I've had a few emails about this and would have to boast that your a little late maybe...Especially considering that my website actually started on the Cycling Plus forum last year..[;)]

[:)][:)][:)]<b>www.CycleRouteUK.com</b>[:)][:)][:)]

Oh well. Keep up the good work, I guess..............[:D]
    Brian..

Check out CycleRouteUK and submit your own cycle route !! (use the link below)
    www.CycleRouteUK.com
    Check out CycleRouteUK and submit your own cycle route !! (use the link below)
    www.CycleRouteUK.com
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by hevipedal</i>

Neil
    Here's one for North London even us capital city dwellers can find a hill or two

only 9 km in total but the circular part can be done as many times as you like; or can because like might not come into it the second or third time up over the top.

Hevipedal
    Next job's L'Etape
    www.mikenugent.co.uk

slowrider
    slowrider
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by hevipedal</i>

Neil

These are not proper hills, get yourself up here!!!!!!!!!

Hevipedal
    Next job's L'Etape
    www.mikenugent.co.uk
    slowrider