Comments

• weyayeman
    weyayeman Posts: 1,141
    My 4 castles of Northumberland run is canny,could make it 5 on a good day
    Warkworth
    Dunstanburgh
    Bamburgh
    Alnwick
    Lindisfarne on the good day tide permitting as well,or just bring some binocs. and you can see it from Bamburgh[:D]

I went fishing and caught a bike,but the bailiff made me throw it back,as it was too small
    How son yee divent need gaan doon the Pit,coz thas plenty coal in the coal hoose
  • cycleman
    cycleman Posts: 688
    i can offer a pleasent ride from windsor to henley , marlow and back. some nice quite lanes and a bit of ncns 4. approx 40 miles[:)]
  • Hi Neil

Bridport to Portland Bill taking in the Jurrasic Coast. 1hr30 from Bristol. A lovely 54 miles with testing hills on quiet roads. i ride a roubaix and ride spotives and am planning TTs too this year. I ride with Bristol Cycling Development Squad and CC Weymouth.

cheers

Dave
    cheers

Dave
  • Am training for Wolverhamtpon to Aberdovey, roughly 125 miles, in June 2007. Anyone out there want to give some good routes/ride together in and around Nuneaton(Warwickshire)/Hinckley (Leicestershire) area?

Villa1966
    Villa1966
  • Villa1966
    I emailed you re routes and riding together several days ago. Maybe the mail system did not work?
    My routes take in all the areas you mention and I am just down the road from you.

JB

2 minute grovels can sometimes be a lot longer..
    2 minute grovels can sometimes be a lot longer..tho' shorter on a lighter bike :-)

Ride the Route Ankerdine Hill 2008

http://peterboroughbigband.webplus.net/index.html
  • Can anybody assist I am looking at travelling into london over Easter bank Holiday for a ride starting at Liverpool st Railway could someone kindly give me a cycle friendly route returning back to the station up to 25 miles as would suit I know my way round by car but never done it by cycle
  • bonk man
    bonk man Posts: 1,054
    I am sure we can find some nice lanes [and evil hills] north of Malvern , out over to Tenbury or west to Ross on Wye. These are sometimes on our Sunday routes and if I am leading they will have some big climbs.....
    The views are great as well[:D] .
    website address for club run info is http://www.sevale-malvern.freeserve.co.uk/

see you on Sunday[8D]

Club rides are for sheep
    Club rides are for sheep
  • Clem
    Clem Posts: 546
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by robbarker</i>

I can take you on aclassic loop from here in Tintern - the best of the Wye Valley and Vale of Usk. There are lots of options but I would suggest Tintern - Monmouth (via the Wye Valley road or the lanes) - Skenfrith - Abergavenny - Usk - Cobbler's Plain - Tintern.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

That's certainly a good one... for Bristol cyclists who don't want to pay the Severn Bridge toll, parking is OK at the village of Aust.

Then ride over the old Severn Bridge, going through Chepstow, up Tutshill and on towards the Forest of Dean.

You then have the option of dropping down to Brockweir and turning left after crossing the Wye to return through Tintern (cycle-friendly stop at the Old Station - toilets and easy to keep an eye on your bike)-Chepstow-Aust for a 30-mile round trip.

Or continue through Coleford (where you could go on to Symonds Yat - toilets at the viewing area, you don't have to descend to the village proper) and then take a left to Monmouth-Tintern-etc. Nice descent into Monmouth this way, though it is a A-road so it can sometimes pay to let lorries by rather than have them on your tail the whole way down.
  • Tony666
    Tony666 Posts: 274
    Here's a nice little 35 mile circular for anyone near Southend in Essex http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/So ... Circular-2
  • jpembroke
    jpembroke Posts: 2,569
    My favourite short, hard route - the Sheepscombe Classic - is now online:

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Sh ... be-Classic

Only 50km but not a metre of flat on the whole circuit. Starts and finishes in Cheltenham and most of it is on traffic-free lanes. Give it a go.
    I'm only concerned with looking concerned
  • In N E Lincolnshire I have a route which takes in the Lincolnshire Wolds (Who said Lincs was flat) and you would be suprised just how little traffic appears on these wonderful quiet back roads. The route starts in Brigg heads over to Caister and then Rothwell, Thoresway, Binbrook, Ludford, Six Hills. Market Rasen then heading back via Osgodby, Kirkby, South Owersby Thornton Le Moor and South Kelsey. Heading on the final leg via the infamous Brandy Wharf and back to Brigg. Approx 55 miles

lq_070909_001_std.jpg
    point7.gif
  • robbarker
    robbarker Posts: 1,367
    Clem wrote:

Or continue through Coleford (where you could go on to Symonds Yat - toilets at the viewing area, you don't have to descend to the village proper) and then take a left to Monmouth-Tintern-etc. Nice descent into Monmouth this way, though it is a A-road so it can sometimes pay to let lorries by rather than have them on your tail the whole way down.

The Sustrans "Peregrine Path" is now open from Symond's Yat to Monmouth. I certainly wouldn't recommend the HGV-heavy A4136 as an alternative!
  • davelakers
    davelakers Posts: 762
    A favourite ride of mine is a fairly hilly figure of 8 up and through the Trough of Bowland from Preston. Around 50miles with 3400ft of climbing. Its a lovely part of the world and I would recommend it to anyone.

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/112576
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    Hi NP

Have you considered doing pieces on peoples commutes? I have a 15 mile commute that has many startling contrasts, failing that I've many a loop on the mendips that I could show you, perhaps one not including Cheddar Gorge for once, there are many far more challenging hills. How about this:-

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/To-the-airport-and-back-scenic-route

As for my riding, I commute at least 2 days a week, take part in the occasional sportive and head out most weekends for a club run with my Tri club or the Weston Chain Gang

EDIT Not wanting to bribe you or anything, but my wife makes some pretty mean flapjack.
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • there's a great ride i do several times a week from Bath, going north (and back), on almost traffic free roads..mainly on a fixie... about 40 miles.... let me know if you"re interested
  • I used to play Hockey but now I ride.... one day like the wind :)
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    I think it's a great idea to cover readers local rides in the mag especially as the Dec. 08 issue cover my normal route but why don't you then publish those routes on the routes & riding section or if you do where are they?

BTW great article, I consider myself very lucky to live in such an amazingly beautiful place and chapeau to Martin for riding that routed "fixed" :shock:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin wrote:
    I think it's a great idea to cover readers local rides in the mag especially as the Dec. 08 issue cover my normal route but why don't you then publish those routes on the routes & riding section or if you do where are they?

Even better, why not make it available as a downloadable GPX file so that we could store them for future reference. I have a huge pile of cut out routes from C+ that SWMBO is getting quite tetchy about. T hat's a pretty please btw!!! :oops:
    2 minute grovels can sometimes be a lot longer..tho' shorter on a lighter bike :-)

Ride the Route Ankerdine Hill 2008

http://peterboroughbigband.webplus.net/index.html
  • We may be just within the 1.5 hrs just but it’s worth the drive Staffordshire 30+ mile loop stately homes, quiet rolling country roads come for two days and mountain bike on day 2 on Cannock Chase
    Andrew
  • Horta
    Horta Posts: 64
    This is my addition for East Sussex. 100k, good mix of terrain and roads, horrible climb at the end, but it has a 70kph descent, which is nice :D Surprisingly car free. Under 4 hours. It makes me want to fit a compact, as I never seem to use the 53 these days! I ride an ugly Peugeot resprayed and tagged which looks a lot better than the original! Even if I say so myself 8)
    better a has been, than a never was!
  • Starts 30 mins ride or so from Bristol.

Takes in a long climb to the airport and blagdon hill, descends cheddar gorge and follows fairly quiet lanes for most of the distance. Can be extended towards Weston-Super-Mare and Kewstoke / Sand bay. Can also follow the strawberry line (route 26) between Axbridge and Yatton.

42 Miles. Nailsea - Blagdon - Cheddar - Winscombe - Nailsea

Map at
    http://tinyurl.com/yd3h38d
  • adibowers
    adibowers Posts: 4
    when you decide to venture north, come to Calderdale in West Yorkshire. We have some cracking routes in the Penines and the climb from Cragg Vale is England's longest continuous incline (about 6 1/2 miles) and is a cycling mecca in these parts.
  • How about this route 50 minutes from Bristol

Church village to Port Talbot to Treorchy over the Bwlch (make sure your brakes are good) to Pontypridd then back to Church village..

Around 60 miles or you could reverse it, stupendous scenery not traffic free though.
    We are an online travel agency.

Specialized Sirrus (converting to road bars) - Honda Fireblade.
  • jimwin
    jimwin Posts: 208
    Iand stick as much to traffic-free roads as possible - if it includes any or entirely NCN or byway routes so much the better.

Traffic-free is tough - even in the south-west. I suspect you meant "stick as much as possible to low-traffic roads".

Now waiting for rides a bit further than the limit you mentioned. This limit misses most of the fun (??) to be had in the more 'scenic' parts of the SW.
  • Heres a nice 37 miler that takes in quiet roads around the Winchester area, its got a couple of hills but nothing too strenuous, some nice scenery to boot especially around the River Test area, can be altered to take in Mottisfont instead for a few miles less.

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=4502665
  • DaveMoss
    DaveMoss Posts: 236
    South West Scotland. just avoid the motorway(obviously) , together with any long stretches on the A75 or A76, otherwise just go anywhere at all for a great bike ride.

But if anyone wants to visit your welcome to join the Dumfries club run, every Saturday from Halfords Dumfries, ten past 9. normally around 50 miles with three groups of differing speed.

If you want one for the mag, let us know and we will make sure the route is one of our best.
    Sportives and tours, 100% for charity, http://www.tearfundcycling.btck.co.uk
  • whojanicanackerov
    whojanicanackerov Posts: 383
    edited February 2012
    Here is a link to some loops i cycle maybe one of them is worth a place in the mag or worth a ride if your local.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Gimme a shout when you venture out to the Midlands... I've got a couple of beautiful almost completely traffic free routes I can demo.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • jimwin
    jimwin Posts: 208
    To start with I'm looking for rides in the south west, starting within and hour and a half's drive of Bristol/Bath. The ride would be between 35 and 50 miles - I'm up for longer one's too if they're worth it. The ride should take in your favourite scenery/climbs/descents and stick as much to traffic-free roads as possible - if it includes any or entirely NCN or byway routes so much the better.
    Neil Pedoe
    Cycling Plus

You have to broaden your horizons - take in any of the SW uplands - Exmoor, Dartmoor and Bodmin Moor and you get to really great cycling. Mostly quiet (or quiet-ish) roads and spectacular scenery. If you do extend your boundaries, then I can help.

- JimW
  • Nick Cod
    Nick Cod Posts: 321
    Myself and a couple of friends did this a couple of weeks back. Some good climbs, decents and quiet roads :D

L'etape du Farleigh Hill - Hampshire
    2016 Cube Agree C:62 SLT DISC
    2013 Cayo Evo 3
    2013 Zesty 414
    2002 Avalanche 0.0
    2018 Vitus Substance v2 105 Gravel