Olympics 2024

Comments

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    edited July 30

Most will. Some have difficulty with the flag and anthem. It's a grey area for athletes partaking in sports which for historical reasons are organised on an all Ireland basis

ETA the Belfast Newsletter, the biggest Unionist paper, has used the form of words 'won gold *for* Northern Ireland' so that kinda sums it up.

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • secretsqirrel
    secretsqirrel Posts: 2,027

Well done team Dandy. Through to the quarter finals, Andy gets another match.

• Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,387

4 x 200 m relay swimmers were very impressive retaining their title.

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,523

Thanks, as always, for your Northern Ireland insight. Maybe that paper will need to tweak the medal table to include Northern Ireland

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,756
    edited July 30

Channels 521 and 522 as usual, 4k on 523, then 563 to 569 for Eurosport 3 to 9.

• tailwindhome

A second NI swimmer...

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • tailwindhome

Not that we're parochial or anything. But there's a live argument on twitter as to whether Magheralin, his home town, is in County Down or County Armagh.

The PE department of his former school has scooped 7 All-Ireland football medals and 1 Olympic Gold in 72 hours.

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,625

Women’s triathlon absolute crash fest

• rick_chasey

Triathletes, eh? 😜

• blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,701

Slick cobbles and Seine sewage water: who’d be a triathlete?

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Dorset_Boy

Good win by the Parisienne.

Sounds like the swim was very tough with the currents

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,146

Surprised it went ahead. We had thunderstorms at about 7.30am. They haven’t had much luck weather wise for events involving road cycling. Hope it’s better for the weekend.

• rick_chasey
    edited July 31

Not convinced running it in Paris centre is sensible tbh. Not even London had the TT anywhere near the centre, and in the Tri they resurfaced the roads so they were grippy in the wet too.

Only place they didn't do much was Richmond Park and we all remember what happened there.

That was an off-camber right hander - the hill horizon on that corner gives the illusion the camber is flat.

• bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398

Happen to be in Paris for work and the place I am working is about 2 miles from Stade de France - made a last minute decision to go to the women's rugby sevens yesterday and it was absolutely brilliant!!

Arrived just around 17.30 so saw the end of Japan Brazil, then GB-IRE (7th place), China-France (5th place), USA-Aus (bronze) and the final NZ-Canada, then stayed for the medals.

I did not fancy the RER in the heat with the crowd so rented a Lime bike via the Uber app and cycled back to my hotel (near Gare de Lyon) - cycling infrastructure has really come on a long way since I was last in Paris (2019). There's special temporary bike parks for the various bike rental services close to the venues as well.

Only downside is you can only pay by card in the venue with Visa and apparently Natwest have changed my debit card to something called Mastercard Debit (was news to me), there were only 2 ATMs in the venue (which I couldn't find for ages as theyre on opposite sides) and hardly any of the bar points took cash anyway. At one point I was getting slightly concerned that I'd expire, as I went straight from the office in work gear and it was incredibly hot.

I didn't go to see aanything in London 2012 so I'm really happy I got to see something!

• bobmcstuff

Yeah when I left my hotel around 7.30 and it was raining heavily I assumed that would be it for the triathlon due to the water quality.

• First time in any swimming relay at the OGs that the same 4 have retained their title.

• kingstongraham

Well that was a great run by Yee/ dramatic collapse by Wilde.

• JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 2,293

Alex Yee. Wow. Had written him off for winning this. Surged past Wilde in the last hundred meters or so.

• Dorset_Boy

Fantastic final 450m from Alex Yee. He was dead and buried, looking likely to drop to third with about 1 km to go.

• bobmcstuff

Have had my French work training group watching the triathlon 😆

Long period where it looked like Yee would get caught by the Frenchies but he paced that run absolutely to perfection.

• bobmcstuff

I am assuming he had paced it and he knew Wilde had gone too hard

• Pross

It is seriously warm and humid again now so I don’t envy any endurance athletes. I’m having to take a rest every 10-15 minutes just strolling around and I’m not that unfit. It’s horrible, not helped by the complete lack of air con anywhere.

• Weird - you wait 52 years for an NI gold medal and then get two in a session. Jack McMillan got a gold for swimming the heats in the 4*2 relay.

• kingstongraham

Ffs the rowers doing it at the last second too!

• bobmcstuff

Ridiculous finish in the rowing as well!

• rick_chasey
    edited July 31

Very exciting womens quad finish. Photo finish, Brits came through right in the final 100m.

It is very hard to do it the way they did it! Edit: their first km was almost exactly the same as their 2nd -so relatively well paced ;) (not forgetting the first 1km is a standing start...) as I keep saying!

• bobmcstuff

I booked a hotel with AC specifically... Easier when work pays though. The supermarkets mainly have AC I found but going in and out almost makes it worse as it hits you again...

• rick_chasey

Brits have been rating slower in the first half in every race.

Definitely a deliberate tactic

• Pross

I’m staying at Center Paris. The apartment has a single fan, the restaurant last night had completely ineffective air con and walking around Disney today. In Florida all the inside areas are like fridges and give some respite but here again it is hardly noticeable. I’d intended doing a run yesterday but knocked it on the head. Really can’t imagine an all out aerobic effort.

• focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,900

If we had hydrofoils on our blokes boat we would have won that.