TPU Inner Tubes

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,967

Sorry, alloy rims.

Side issue, carbon rims with rim brakes are not permitted on this tour for insurance purposes for a history of delaminating due to excess heat.

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787

Yeah, don't think I'd risk mine on a descent like that. Have never got them more than lukewarm thus far including some steep descents in Gran Canaria and Tenerife, but the Angliru is a different animal!

• Just put 4 Schwalbe ones in our mtbs in readiness for KAW, had new ones as had faulty ones replaced when in NZ, see how they go.

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,689

I was thinking about this the other day, and obviously it can happen as proven by pb. I'm just surprised the tyre expands so much the tube can pop.

• daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870

Thankyou for doing that unintentional testing, sounds like that could have been AG2R shorts moment 😵

I'll ensure I'll let my brother know, as he was thinking of going tpu, but still rides rim brakes, and lives in the alps.

Out of interest, do you recall the weight of the tubes?

Any pics of how they exploded?

Not during the explosion, I mean when you removed the tubes ;-)

Curious to know if it was terminal, or could be patched.

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • pblakeney

Can’t help too much at the moment as I wanted to get going ASAP as it was a 100 plus mile day. I have one in my saddlebag which I can inspect later.

There was no obvious unrepairable defect but I immediately lost all confidence in them and switched to butyl for the remainder.

incident was a loud pssst and rapid loss of air simultaneously in both tyres. Fortunately on a straight and I didn’t panic. Still took a good few metres to stop though!

This was on day 5 of a 6 day tour so the first 4 days went by without consequence. I simply went past the limit on the Angliru.

Veronese68 wrote:
  • mr.b-campag
    mr.b-campag Posts: 410

That sounds scary! Presumably you had your brakes on a lot. Was it also pretty hot over there as well?

• pblakeney

I don’t see any other option than being on the brakes a lot on sustained 20% plus. 😉

Wasn’t too hot, low to mid 20s sunshine descending into the cloud. Felt bloody hot replacing the tubes though.

Veronese68 wrote:
  • davebradswmb
    davebradswmb Posts: 518

I have bought 7 of the RideNow TPU tubes. The first ones went in just before I went to Gran Canaria in mid March. I had no issues out there, but since then I have had 4 punctures. 3 of them were pinch punctures on the front wheel, the other was also a pinch puncture, this time in the rear, but I think that there may have been an issue with the tube. When I got the bike out in the morning of the ride the front tyre was at 5 bar and the rear was 2 bar, I run them at 6 & 5.5 bar normally. I checked the pressures at the cafe and both seemed good, but soon afterwards I was bouncing on the rear rim so I suspect that the tube lost pressure resulting in the pinch.

Having lost confidence in the TPU tubes I have now gone back to lightweight butyl at the front but I am leaving the TPU in at the rear at least until it fails. I am now carrying a butyl spare and the 2 remaining TPU tubes are in the shed. One contributing factor may be that I have a 23 mm front tyre and 25 mm rear, at least until the front needs replacing. I may try the TPU again at the front when I change the tyre if the rear is still behaving itself.

• MidlandsGrimpeur2
    MidlandsGrimpeur2 Posts: 1,951

I haven't swapped all my inner tubes over the the TPU as yet, just used a few to test them. I do think there is a noticeable difference in terms of how they feel compared to a butyl tube and the ride quality feels improved, although this doesn't necessarily translate into being any faster.

The main issue is 3 punctured tubes so far. I know they can be repaired but either I am unlucky or they just aren't as durable as a butyl tube (I have the 36g being used on both rim and disc wheels).

• Charlie_Croker
    Charlie_Croker Posts: 1,727

Thanks for the feedback pb appreciated

It’s only when they’ve been tested to destruction (as it were) that an insight into how good/bad they are can be gained. For normal riders (not racers) like me a few grams one way or the other makes no discernable difference. I own a couple of TPU’s but am yet to try them. It’s always nice to have a choice, tubeless/butyl/TPU/latex/tubs etc. with the knowledge of their limits. Thanks for posting.

• pblakeney

Thanks!

In summary, I will continue to use them here but will pack butyls for grand tours.

Veronese68 wrote:
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,095

All very interesting and it is great that people are starting to give their experiences

BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,602

I bought 3 as a test, thinking 1 could live in my saddlebag.

1 was already broken when I fitted it, there was a hole near the valve. The other 2 were fine.

I did a couple of 50k test rides, all good, then did a 440k ride across Wales over a weekend. Performed great! Not a long term review but holding up well so far. I did take a couple of normal tubes as backup but they weren't needed.

- Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • mr.b-campag
    mr.b-campag Posts: 410

PB as a matter of interest when they punctured did they deflate at the same speed as butyl tubes, or faster/slower?

• pblakeney
    edited June 18

Not that I was counting 🤣 but I'd guess from pssst 100 psi to zero psi was about one full second. I guess the delay is the time the air takes to get past the outer tyres. It took me around 5 seconds to come to a controlled stop.

FYI - I was braking straight and on Vittoria Corsa Graphene 2.0 (bought at £35 each 😎) which seem to roll well when flat. 😉

Veronese68 wrote:
  • Webboo2
    Webboo2 Posts: 904

I bought 4 about 18 months ago. The one in the front wheel is still going ok. The rear one punctured with a flint in the tyre which deflated slowly. I just had butyl spares in my saddle pack and I couldn’t be bothered to swop inner tubes when I got home. So I’m still one on one. This is on my best/ summer bike which has carbon rims and rim brakes.

• Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160

Anyone seeing these at low prices anymore? Apart from the single purchase offers from Aliexpress, they all seem to have doubled in price recently.

Despite the naysayers, I'm happy to risk them.

• super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,205

I got 4 24g ones for £20 a few weeks ago from AliExpress which seemed OK.

A word of warning... I needed new ones because I put in a spare in after my tubeless wouldn't seal and punctured immediately from the sealant / old sealed flint mess I couldn't clean out from my tyre well enough. Not a problem limited to TPU by any means but did wonder if more susceptible to it by being thin / light. Fortunately small enough to carry two so got home OK.

• davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,095

Just swapped out my rear tubeless for the first Ali TPU. Following tips in this thread no issues fitting it and I've ridden a couple of cols - taking care not to brake on the descents :-)

Quite a harsh / stiff ride compared to both butyl and tubeless at the same pressure.

BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,516

About 800 miles in a pair of TPU tubes from Ali express.

no complaints and I found the ride to be smoother than butyl at the same pressure

35 against 105 grams …..cheap and worthwhile upgrade

“Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787

Do you find they need topping up more frequently?

• slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,516

Not at all. Came back from 2 weeks away to find the tyres had some pressure but no more than a butly tube.

normal riding means a top every 3 weeks ish

“Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870

I've still not had any cause to fit a ridenow tube, my Pirelli ones have covered nearly 1000km now, and they are more comfy to my mind that butyl, and hold their pressure incredibly well, I'm talking about something in the region of a 3-5 psi drop in two weeks - that's crazy non?

I do keep meaning to order some more in different sizes, and probably the slightly heavier duty versions for a few other bikes.

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • davebradswmb
    davebradswmb Posts: 518

My RideNow tube is losing 2 bar over 3-4 days. I also had an issue with a previous RideNow tube losing pressure randomly. Maybe there is a reason why they are so cheap....

• pblakeney

Meh. I had to pump up latex on a daily basis so once weekly isn't an inconvenience.

Veronese68 wrote:
  • pmannion9
    pmannion9 Posts: 286

Anyone had issue connecting a mini-pump ?

I used one for the first time at weekend - Pump didn't seems to connect very well to the valve.

Similar issue with track pump when i got back ...

Also - anyone experienced a puncture with these- I have heard they just pop and deflate extremely quickly compared to a butyl tube which could be quite dangerous?

• pblakeney

No problems with pumps, but my mini-pumps have hoses.

Had both a slow deflation as well as a blow out, depends on the cause. Same as any inner.

Veronese68 wrote:
  • MidlandsGrimpeur2
    MidlandsGrimpeur2 Posts: 1,951

Not tried a mini pump but yes to a track pump. I have to hold the pump head pressed on to the valve, otherwise once I get past about 40psi it just blows off the valve. Slightly annoying but not a major issue. I should probably actually try pumping one up with a mini pump just to ensure it is fine in case of a flat out on the road.