TPU Inner Tubes

13»

Comments

• daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,863
    edited July 30

Just noticed that the Pirelli tubes I have on my Scott, are on offer if you buy in 60mm valve length from Amazon.

£15.99, plus a 5% saving if you order 5, makes that a smidge over £15 a tube.

Not cheap I grant you (And probably 3 or 4 times the ride now cost), but for those who would seriously consider it, if you look at it as a percentage of the cost/value of your bike, it will be a very small number 😄

Plus, it is black AND yellow, which is clearly AWESOME.

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,863

I've just ordered a couple of (they are VERY hard to find) 100mm valved TPU tubes from Tweeks cycles, made by Schwalbe.

I have a bike that needs them that long, and this means I don't have to carry the big hefty butyl tube fitted with a valve extender when I ride it now.

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • hdow
    hdow Posts: 186

Good find. Just ordered some. Cheers

• davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,093

yes the first one I've fitted will loose most of its pressure over 5 days

BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • davebradswmb
    davebradswmb Posts: 515

I was chatting to a friend who is using the Tubolito tubes and says that they are losing hardly any pressure, better even than standard weight butyl. The only thing that puts me off is the price, £25 for something that might easily end up getting binned on your first ride. The same friend says he has successfully repaired them with the Tubolito repair kit though. And £75 (including a spare) vs £25 for lightweight butyl is a bargain for a 150 g saving.

• Webboo2
    Webboo2 Posts: 892

I swopped my carbon wheels out about 5 weeks ago as I was going to Alps. When I got them out early this week the front one was completely flat, I then realised it had a TPU tube in it. Pumped it up and it still holding a fair amount of pressure 5 days later.

• Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,157

My tuppence’worth -

ridenows deflate faster. not really a problem, except i have difficulty getting a good seal with my track pump because of the plastic valve design. It’s a fanny in the morning before setting off. Hopefully my screw-on adaptor for the pocket pump works ok, but I’ve not cheched.

Also find them more fiddly to fit than regular tubes, they’re very loose until inflated more than the instructions suggest. Don’t fancy doing it on a winter evening roadside.