Seemingly trivial things that annoy you

Comments

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,084
    edited July 18

So were the owners of the dog who tripped my mother up. Could have been a broken hip if she'd fallen badly.

Soft-mouthed? F***ing soft-brained more like. Stuff the passive aggressive stuff. If it's rural and they let it stray onto farmland it'll get shot. For sure, keep it civil but that doesn't mean treading on eggshells. You are required to have your dog under control by law. They have already committed an offence by letting it chase your cat as far as I can see. It's not hard to shut a gate. And an apology does not pay for treatment. At the least they should be covering the vet bills.

1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,511

Hmm, that's one of the problem with small communities... you really do want to get on with everyone, for practical reasons, which makes it hard if someone in that community transgresses somehow.

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,683
    edited July 18

Trust me, I'll be making some points if required, but also trust me that you wouldn't fit in round ere with that attitude my lad.

The owners of the poo monster are smallholders. Hobby farming fart sniffers, basically. So leveraging the "if that was on a farm" argument isnt going to help. Have used it successfully in the past though.

It helps that when angry I have a "Falling Down" facial expression (the Micheal Douglas film) that I can't hide and I don't think it will be a secret that I'm massively fucked off. The bag of shit I left is also not that subtle.

The people who have caused us vet bills are a different family. In fact, we've had 4 households' dogs visit. Three of the four now understand it's not appreciated and I expect chicken wire sales have spiked in Tavistock.

The cat is insured. I'll probably be out a couple of hundred quid if she survives, but I need to pick my battles. They are saving money elsewhere by doing a lot of labour upgrading a water pipe (he's a contractor, doing ours for free basically). He also knows lots of local people who might give us slight mates rates.

Call it enlightened self interest.

Dog shit is a no brainer though, and people have complained in the past. It's going to stop one way or the other.

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,625

So it’s ok they upset you but not the other way around?

Stick up for yourself! And your cat!

• First.Aspect

Pretty much Rick, yes.

We've had a non apology apology from the poop monster owners. Basically implied criticism that I left a bag of poo on their gate rather than talk to them about it.

Since she knows damn well her dog shits everywhere, I dont care.

I've just replied with a nice message to say I picked it up before I forgot and tried in it again, and sorry you weren't around when we were rushing off to the vets due to our cat being attacked by a dog.

• rjsterry
    edited July 18

I'm probably explaining poorly. Wanting to remain on good terms is the point of raising it rather than let it fester and build resentment. I'm not unaware of small rural politics. My parents moved to a hamlet near the Malverns 14 years ago, and we built them a new house with a local builder (third generation in the same village; surname the same as the name of the next village). The dog that tripped my mum up was owned by a family with a smallholding and a couple of horses.

Pinnacle Monzonite

• briantrumpet

Yeah, that's kinda how it works in close local communities... it's sometimes a delicate balance, but it's no fun living in a rural location of all your neighbours think you're the newcomer arsehole, wiv all yer learnin and that.

• rjsterry

You want to get on with your neighbours in the Smoke as well.

Pinnacle Monzonite

• orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,195

You could just shovel up the dog shit, bring it back to them, and either dump it, or, knock on the door with a smile when answered and say you're happy to help out, where do you want this...? Claim your space man, or you will be in the minion sect.

My daughter and partner reported themselves to the polis when their dog ran out of the house and ended up biting, no blood, a child. Dog must now be muzzled and on lead at all times off the property. Dog will be rehomed as that's not good for any party involved.

• briantrumpet

Well, yes, but you have a greater choice of people you can piss off (or ignore) without your life becoming hell. Out in the sticks, you really don't want to get a reputation as the person to avoid or to be ignored.

• First.Aspect

If they don't get their act together, I'm going to post it to them.

Or, collect it for a while and present them with a bucket. Done that before now.

Anyway, we got flowers and a slightly narked message so they know we are pissed off, tried the "ah but you are being oussed off in a nice way" angle and now feel horribly embarrassed that I picked up after their dog and hung it on their gate when in a rush to go to the vets.

Assuming my cat survives, it is actually quite a good step forward.

• capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,965

Whoever it was who thought it would be a good idea to shout "so good, so good, so good" in the middle of 'sweet Caroline' should be separated from their breath.

The older I get, the better I was.

• First.Aspect

It should be illegal to sing both parts of any song with a lead vocal and a backing vocal.

Personally, I think attempts to sing along in this way is why Fleetwood Mac are so under appreciated.

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,148

If you move into a small community and start complaining, not matter how justified, your new life can soon become untenable. Even in my little street a few new people have incurred the wrath of the street mafia and been ostracised. A rural community can be pretty isolating if everyone is shunning you. Sounds like FA has handled it sensibly to me, there’s also little point in getting arsey with people if they are genuinely apologetic but if the dog gets out and does it again it’s a different matter.

• rick_chasey
    edited July 19

Being ostracised by people who I don’t like is not a problem.

It’s grown up to understand that not everyone is going to like you and you need to live your own life.

Dont go out of your way to be a dick, obviously, but if it’s reasonable, who cares.

If FA is being ostracised for being annoyed a neighbour’s dog sent his cat to hospital, I’d say that’s a blessing. Sound like a bunch of morons.

(yes dear reader, I am not part of the local neighbourhood WhatsApp and I am grateful for that. If I need them I can knock on their door or speak to the neighbours I do like and visa versa)

• First.Aspect

If I get ostracised, it will be because I asked a neighbour to not let their "farm dog" roam free and shit on my drive and on the track in. I will be bad for objecting to something that had gone on for years.

By farm dog, I mean a family pet that happens to live on a small farm just past a gate they can't be arsed to close.

• rick_chasey

See what I mean? No pleasing idiots. Why cater to them?

• First.Aspect

It's not about catering to them,.it's about disliking them nicely, and in such a way that they aren't quite sure whether you think they are a pillock.

• rick_chasey

🤷🏻‍♂️ I’m happy for you that you care about the opinions of people you don’t like.

i tend to only extend that courtesy to colleagues and clients.

• orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,195

Do you 2 need to get a room?

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,148

I'm starting to understand why Rick encounters so many issues that others don't have to put up with.

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,756

I have managed to resolve this.

Logged into Virgin media on the virginmedia.com site using the username that gets the bills - not one of the actual usernames we use for email. Then went to skysports.com and did the virgin media login and it took me straight in - now without needing a password.

• rick_chasey
    edited July 20

Would like to point out that despite logging this with the police - having been forced to fill in an online form which does not accept pictures - this has not been dealt with by the police.

They say they will get back to me in 48 hours with whatever decision they’ve made. It’s been 3 days now.

Utterly useless. The offending car has been there until this morning. All it needed was one visit to see how obvious it was and a visit to the car owner.

What even is the fucking point of the police nowadays.

I suspect next week I’ll get a message saying, like last time, because there is no cctv they won’t investigate. Only, if they could see, the damage on their car exactly matches the kind of damage that caused so much on mine, including their paintwork on my car and visa versa.

Im so fucking fed up with the police. Utterly utterly useless.

• rick_chasey
    edited July 20

The Insurer is also acting like a dick this time, I’ve had to call off a trip to see my mother in law because the courtesy car is too small to fit in what we need for a trip because of the baby. Apparently expecting a car of similar size is “unreasonable”

All this because someone smashed into my parked car and didn’t leave a note.

ive already had it keyed they day I bought it. Now this.

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310

The Dutch really are very rude round a swimming pool.

No etiquette about them at all

Tall though

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,602

Sounds like the insurer is doing you a solid here Rick

- Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,598

Assume you've taken plenty of pics just in case.

But you are definitely Unlucky Alf from the Fast Show, everything seems to happen to you.

"I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]