Seemingly trivial things that annoy you

Comments

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,603

And as the saying goes, 'science flies you to the Moon: religion flies you into buildings'.

"I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,090

You mean the heavily photoshopped pic to make the lens flare look like a Christian cross?

Sure, the terrorists who attacked the WTC were religious zealots. Oklahoma City suggests that the world would be pretty much the same with or without.

1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Stevo_666

Whatever, you can have this years award for trying to start an argument in an empty room 😉

"I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,153

The policy at my old school was practising Catholics first, then baptised Catholics, then those who practiced other faiths before moving onto other things like prioritising those with learning disabilities.

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,643

That was a long time ago Pross no?

I think the world had moved on. Things are rather more desperate and both sides don’t really have a chance to be picky anymore.

• rick_chasey

Anyway, trivial things that annoy me: I am as atheist as they come - I don’t believe in anything spiritual or supernatural, but the arrogance of atheists over those who are religious is so hypocritical I find it incredibly annoying.

• rjsterry

Just a particular bug bear of mine. There's always going to be religion. When people have tried to ban it people have continued in secret and at risk of death.

Pinnacle Monzonite

• monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,880
    edited June 7

Depends on the school and also the year. This is the criteria for my kids local school - essentially you have to be catholic to stand a chance of getting in.

Someone I know got one kid in a few years back but a couple of years later they couldn't get their younger daughter in to the same school because of the religious criteria, I think the school started getting really good grades a few years back so people who pass the Catholicism test are sending their kids in from miles away

1. Catholic LAC & PLAC.

2. Catholic children who have a sibling on roll at the time of admission at St Andrew’s Catholic School.

3. Catholic children who are in one of the feeder schools

4. Catholic children who are resident in the catchment area. The application must be supported with a certificate of Catholic baptism or reception into the Catholic Church and, on the supplementary information form, the parish priest’s signature with the parish stamp or seal.

5. Catholic children who are not resident in the catchment area. The application must be supported with a certificate of Catholic baptism or reception into Catholic Church and, on the supplementary information form, the parish priest’s signature with the parish stamp or seal.

6. Other Catholic children who are resident in the catchment area. The application must be supported with a certificate of Catholic baptism or reception into the Catholic Church.

7. Other Catholic children who are not resident in the catchment area. The application must be supported with a certificate of Catholic baptism or reception into the Catholic Church.

8. Other LAC & PLAC.

9. Children who are considered to have an exceptional or compelling need, supported by written evidence.

10. Other children who have a sibling at the time of admission

11. Catechumens, Candidates for Reception into the Church of children who are members of the Orthodox Church.

12. Other children currently attending one of the named feeder schools.

13. Children of other Christian denominations whose membership is evidenced by a minister of religion.

14. Children of other faiths whose membership is evidenced by a religious leader.

15. Any other children.

• rick_chasey

Maybe CoE is different as it's the state religion.

• Webboo2
    Webboo2 Posts: 905

My grandson went to a Catholic primary school, he isn’t a catholic in any shape or form. Neither he or his mother are even christened. Clearly it depends the demand.

• Stevo_666

Not trying to ban anything here - just asking you imagine what it would be like without religion 🙂

• Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 3,537

We'd probably slavishly follow political parties instead

• N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 6,033

How carp the Zwift race system is...

The signups page (and Companion app) don't show the correct pen power boundaries that have been in place since Category Enforcement was introduced in Feb '22.

Zwiftpower only updates every ~15mins, so you have no idea if late signups are registered there.

In the summer that could well mean there aren't 5 registered to a pen, which means no trivial ranking points based on finishing position.

The Companion app shows signups in pretty much realtime, but has no symbol next to names to show who is registered on Zwiftpower.

A third to a half of racers can easily not be registered on Zwiftpower, but nothing in-game shows who is or isn't.

Whenever Racing Score v2 happens, presuming it will still happen even though the lead staff member behind it was made redundant several months ago, it looks likely ZwiftHQ will seed the system by using at least a month's data of previous races... Looking at the finishing position of all racers, registered on Zwiftpower or not.

================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • Stevo_666

Is leftiebollox a religion? You could believe reading this forum.

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,760

It's not a single value that category enforcement is based on any more is it? The number on the app is just a general guide.

I just join whatever race there is at the time, and roll in about halfway down in B at best, so none of those details bother me. Would be nice to have some race category where there was a chance of being towards the front at the finish.

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,693

In what way is saying there is no go hypocritical, if you don't believe in god? Further, if your belief system is evidence based, in what was is it arrogant to say why you don't believe in god?

Do you think it is only people who have a faith who are entitled to detail their belief system?

• Stevo_666

The good thing is that if you are an atheist, blasphemy is the ultimate victimless crime.

• I have found quite a few religious people get uncomfortable when you question their beliefs but also don't want to accept that you don't believe in anything. Whereas most atheists are quite happy to why they don't believe.

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,153

Thanks for reminding me!

It was still the case not all that long ago when my father was a Governor there.

• First.Aspect

I know a few who are more phlegmatic, and just say essentially, it's my loss. Which one could take as arrogant in itself (I don't by the way).

I'm finding RCs annoyance curious though. Suspect it is particular to someone, or projection.

• rick_chasey
    edited June 7

It's how many atheists think they're actually superior because they don't believe in a god. As if believing in a religion is some sort of sign of how thick you are.

And yes, atheism is an absence of belief so surely there is no belief system to speak of?

There are a lot of athiests who seem to get exercised about the idea people can believe in a religion. As if it's some appalling thing to do.

• Webboo2
    Webboo2 Posts: 905
  • First.Aspect
    edited June 7

The term "belief" comes with it connotations, because it is used for things like Santa, the Tooth Fairy and ghosts.

"Faith" is more useful, if understood in this particular context. In which case, I have none, because it is incompatible with my personal need for evidence.

I'm not sure I see all that much arrogance from athiests, only defensiveness because athiests tend to have to explain why they don't have a faith to people who do. That is materially different in my view to trying to persuade someone who believes in a god not to do so. Whereas, plenty of people of faith try to convince non believers to believe, don't they?

In terms of your first comment, don't shoot the messengers, but there is a good correlation - https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/23921675/

• rjsterry
    edited June 7

I think it would be pretty much the same. People find plenty of other reasons to blow things up. I also think if you wiped everyone's memories it would still re-emerge.

Pinnacle Monzonite

• First.Aspect

People would find other things in common to form groups, and find other groups without those things in common to hate. Such as, just throwing this out there, skin colour.

Oh.

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,526

Really can't remember the last time anyone asked me to explain my lack of religion or faith.

• rjsterry

Literally anything. The pointy hats versus the flat hats. Who are both deeply suspicious of those who wear no hat at all. A small sub-sect of pointy hats think the rest of the pointy hats are even worse than the flat hats because they don't wear their pointy hats at the right angle.

It's all ridiculous but is so clearly part of human nature that trying to disprove it is pointless.

Pinnacle Monzonite

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692

Exactly, like the Dr Seuss book about the sneeches. At least I think it was that, a long time since I read Dr Seuss to my kids

• Stevo_666
  • First.Aspect

Used to happen more often. Doesn't help that a large part of my extended family are god botherers, and some of them are born again.