Seemingly trivial things that annoy you

Comments

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,522

Having heard horror stories about it, I'm glad my two Colnagos have user-friendly forms of it: the older one takes the entire cable (including the casing) through an internal rigid tube, and the other one has a wide slot by the bottom bracket for the internal sheath to emerge, so if it does come adrift, finding it again isn't a problem.

• veronese68

This is a colleagues Cannondale. The cable goes through a thin plastic sheath in the frame, fine when it's new I guess, but it had worn through and split around the bottom bracket meaning it needs replacing. The bike is only a year old and this is the second time it's needed the cable replaced, I'm sure the routing is a contributing factor.

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,693

Mine has a large port at the bb, and the cable wraps over a channel in a plug that sits in that port. This helps direct water at one part of the cable. This in turn helps it rust and fray earlier than it frays in the shifter, thereby acting as a way to prevent damage.

• N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 6,033

Finally put the tubes and tyres (25mm Schwalbe Pro One Vguard front, 30mm GP5000 rear) on my unused VEL 50 RL wheels...

Got a leak somewhere around the valve (Vittoria latex with Vittoria extenders) and sore thumbs from putting the tyres on without a lever.

Need to get going after this cup of tea on the existing Hunt front and Fulcrum rear. Meh.

================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • briantrumpet

That about a third of my annual 'lectric bill is the standing charge. It cheers me up that I can get away with £500-worth of electricity, but still...

• focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,913

Hay fever.

What's that allergy $h1t all about. Anyway it's tree pollen which does my conk in.

• evil_breakfast
    evil_breakfast Posts: 460

You can buy C90 audio cassettes from Argos, but they don't stock CD-R's?!?

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/5583388?clickSR=slp:term:cassettes:1:16:1

Righty ho, off to Amazon then.

You're the light wiping out my batteries; You're the cream in my airport coffee's.
  • briantrumpet

Long/complicated online forms where you can't save your progress and come back to them... am doing stuff involving lots of info for the Vienne Jazz Festival, and the one form I'd started had cleared when I came back to it today. And on a related note, not being able to copy & paste from a spreadsheets into a spreadsheet-type form, not even column by column. Grrr.

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,153

Neighbours that leave an external light on all night. We've got quite a few in our small street that do it every night. One of them has a ridiculously bright security light that they sometimes leave on and that lights up our bedroom even with the curtains shut.

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,643
    edited May 21

Drivers turning right off main roads cutting the corner aggressively. Almost came a cropper yesterday.

• mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787

Yeah, and as they do it they usually glare at you as if you've got no right to be occupying your own side of the road.

• Pross

About 90% of drivers at the junction down the road from me. I'll position myself to the right hand side of my lane waiting to turn right out, they'll cut the corner nearly hitting my car (or bike) and then look at me as though it's my fault for stopping them turning in at 30mph.

• rick_chasey

This guy properly cut the apex at the pavement - so his entire car was on the wrong side as I was arriving. about half a foot before I'd have been squished.

• veronese68

There's a T junction near us with traffic islands on the road joining. People turning right into it often cut the corner to the extent they go on the wrong side of the islands. There's a pub on the inside of said corner, great spot to sit with a drink watching idiots. Not seen an accident yet but it's only a matter of time I'm sure.

• capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,965
    edited May 26

30,000 runners are taking part in the Great Manchester Run at the moment, so it's live on BBC1

25,000+ riders are taking part in the RideLondon today, not a single mention on the BBC morning program. A big feature as far as BBC websites are concerned are the road closures due to it.

The older I get, the better I was.

• Pross

The Great Manchester Run includes elite runners in a competitive event though as well as the club and fun runners. BBC covered Ride London when it included a pro race that made it more of an equivalent event.

• Pross
    edited May 26

Ride London is on BBC now if you really want to watch a bunch of MAMILs thinking they’re epic.

Edit - it’s the women’s race so no good for the MAMIL fetish.

• photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,666

Browsers and FaceBoak,

When I open a new tab I get suggested reads through something called 'Pocket'. Usually dross but sometimes things catch my eye. By then it's usually too late and I've already opened a bookmark. I open a new page to get the Pocket links and that interesting article has disappeared into the ether.

Same with FaceBoak. Scrolling on a phone and there is an interesting story or article that I have just scrolled past. I scroll down to get back to the top but scroll once too often and that refreshes the feed and the article has gone.

Annoying.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• rick_chasey

I'm pretty dyslexic and the trend for changing all the corporate logos to rainbow flags in June really f*cks with my head as i can no longer tell the companies apart at a glance.

• Pross

It's virtue signalling at its worst, even without being dyslexic it gets on my nerves. The same with all the companies posting about the women they have in their company on International Women's Day.

• First.Aspect

Our intranet page has notes about various religious festivals for all major religions autism awareness day, neuro diversity week, the rainbow version of our logo,metal health awareness week women's day, women in science day, no mow may, etc etc.

I am considering asking for an Atheist awareness morning, if there are any unallocated time slots. But that's not virtuous is it?

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,090
    edited June 6

Metal Health Week sounds like it rocks \m/

You could join Humanists UK and then bang on about how you are still oppressed by religion.

1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • First.Aspect
    edited June 6

It is all wonderfully inclusive. But if your employer relentlessly tells you what to think, it becomes opressive. Particularly if there is implied (and sometimes not implied) moral criticism of staff. I see opportistic morality police on the rise, using this sort of thing as a management tool. It's not very nice.

• rick_chasey
    edited June 6

For those of you still practicing the Atheist view (or should that be New Atheist view) that all religion is fundamentally bad, this is an interesting read. It rather meanders, but there are lots of interesting things in there.

• monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,880
    edited June 6

It was so meandering that I drifted off but it doesn't seem to make any claims about religion not being bad, more about how a few old (new) atheists are bad or dead.

• First.Aspect

I'll go through the current things on our home screen.

Adahd awareness

Stress awareness

Menopause affinity group

Autism awareness

Tourettes awareness

LGBTQ pride month

Volunteers week

Carers week

Loneliness awareness week

Global inclusion week

Shavout

Blood donor week

Eid

Learning disability week

Healthy eating week

World refugee day

I'm absolutely not joking. There are some links to IP legal resources along the top, at least.

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,090

That looks like someone is trying very hard to justify their role but I'm unclear how any of it is oppressive beyond filling up your inbox. Possibly this is a downside of the increase in home working: being spammed by your employer rather than people just pinning stuff on the office notice board.

1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • First.Aspect

Oh we have a training team for spam. None of them have any legal qualifications so they can't offer any actual CPD. Instead they hoover up loads of time and money doing things like sales training. Which amounts to things like brainstorming the FTSE 100 and saying those would be good as clients. Thanks Sherlock.

Oh, they have a Self Awareness course coming up, in an explosion of irony.