Today's discussion about the news

Comments

• Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 3,537

I would be interested in hearing the response of the regulator to this line of thinking.

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,088

Wouldn't even touch the sides. Here's the dividends paid out for a year. Under £1bn for all companies. Amount to be invested is £96bn. We can argue whether dividends should be paid in a given year but if they are never paid you have no investors and no business.

1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,128

choosing one year is extreme cherry picking

underinvestment has clearly been long term, therefore total dividends and other financial engineering (i.e. what macquarie et al. did at thames) over that same period are the appropriate comparison

water should ever have been privatised, it's a monopoly, the uk only needs one water utility, multiple entities directly result in massive inefficiency and overhead, n * c-level execs, n * billing a other admin systems, n* lots of other functions

my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,637
    edited May 22

What evidence do you have that water companies being state owned would invest sufficiently?

I'm not saying privatisation is the solution either, but let's not pretend that the state is actually any better in running this stuff. Can you really say that the govt would have invested as much as the private companies have?

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,150

They were always regionalised before privatisation. Some are still not-for-profit which makes more sense to me, it's essential infrastructure and no-one should be profitting from it.

• briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,521

The water companies at the moment are a microcosm of Tory Britain: despite rocketing bills, people are getting poisoned through their taps, and the rivers and beaches are full of shit, while shareholders and directors are doing nicely out of it, despite all the promises we were made at privatisation. It's actually hard to imagine it could be any worse. I was actually a fan of privatisation at the time, but I'm coming to the conclusion that not all privatisations, especially the ones where there is no effective competition, have lived up to their promises.

• Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,387

Yes, they were basically privatised because there had been minimal maintenance by the state on the infrastructure since the Victorians built it all, and it was crumbling.

Of course the private water companies should be doing more good and less polluting, and clearly the regulator is weak and fails to hold then to account adequately.

• rick_chasey

So you think water investment would have been spared from govt austerity?

• wallace_and_gromit
    wallace_and_gromit Posts: 3,390

Ultimately, only the state can compel water companies to invest, so it would potentially cut out layers of complexity / cost if the state simply compelled its state-owned water companies to invest. Cutting out the seemingly inept regulator would be a potential benefit too.

From what I deduce, water bills were artificially low for years in the run up to privatisation as there wasn't enough investment happening for whatever reason, and so bills only needed to cover day-to-day running costs. The reason might have been the government wanting to avoid the political flak for rising bills, wanting to keep government borrowing down or simply being asleep at the wheel.

• monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,878

Were the companies not aware that they would need to invest when they took over running the utility?

Bills have been steadily going up above inflation, companies have been consistently failing to meet targets on pollution etc - sounds like they all got their sums wrong from the outset but still somehow are paying large bonuses to the people in charge?

• rick_chasey

You know there was quite a lot of investment happening already in the current guise, right?

Obviously not enough, but I don't think it's that extreme to suggest that utilities stay solvent - or are we going to have the state start subsidising water as well as energy!?!

• Jezyboy

It would seem reasonable for the state to have some involvement in key utilities...

• rick_chasey
    edited May 22

Sure, but isn't that what Ofwat does?

It wouldn't be the first time the government has killed investment by prioritising prices.

• sungod
    edited May 22

what evidence do you have that they wouldn't?

the fact is that a public utility does not have to extract profit, therefore it will always be able to deliver higher investment and/or lower cost than a private one (given both are competently managed of course)

the state is perfectly capable of hiring competent personnel, if it fails to do so, sack the incompetent and their hiring authorities and repeat until their replacements get it right

• rick_chasey

Right, so the evidence we have is that a) more was invested in real terms under the privatised model than not and b) the profits extracted are pretty small in relation to the amount that was invested, as in, around a 1%.

Feel free to suggest that that 1% would make all the difference, but the above evidence to me suggests the problem is not that the type of ownership is holding back investment, right?

I suspect it boils down to a breakdown in understanding and commutation between the companies and the regulator on what was best for the industry.

• sungod

the fact is that every pound of profit is a pound less investment

what's required is effective management of utilities, not private wealth generation

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,689
    edited May 22

This isn't a great analysis. Privatisation happened after under investment. It should be seen as a way for the people responsible for that under investment to provide that investment without the state paying for it. This is not the same as saying that the alternative would have been state ownership and continued under investment.

What has also gone wrong with some analyses is to evaluate what has been taken out of the industry historically, with investment cost requirements now. The point is that it is now more costly than it would have been if the investment had been ongoing. This is the reason tax payers should be pisssed off.

Ofwat is there to regulate an industry that shouldn't be privatised because they are local monopolies. We now have a decision to make - improve the current system, or gradually renationalise.

It seems to me that there is too small a pool of people moving between the regulator and the companies. It is a similar issue to aviation regulation. I don't see how this can be avoided or therefore how the current system can be fixed.

Also seems to me that private water companies has been tried for 35 years and is literally a shitshow. Regardless of the hypotheticals, I'm not fussed if some investors get stung and these companies come back into public ownership as they go bust. I think to an extent that ofwat has to bear this in mind when it sets price rises. I fear that they will allow prices to rise just enough to limp on indefinitely.

• rjsterry

Yes, when the government ran it the water boards were great. They were always champing at the bit to invest and all the rivers were crystal clear.

Find the figures for another year by all means. In 33 years the total amount paid out is £57bn, so investing £96bn in half the time is not going to be solved by withholding dividends.

Pinnacle Monzonite

• Jezyboy

Cynically, it feels like the current set up is designed so that everyone can avoid responsibility. There's sufficient privatisation that the government of the day can point at the water companies, meanwhile the water companies can blame ofwat.

• rjsterry

Responsibility doesn't actually build or maintain anything. Having someone to blame will not replace a Victorian sewer. It really is irrelevant whose fault it is that we are in this mess (it's probably all of us). The only interesting question is how to get out of it.

Pinnacle Monzonite

• First.Aspect

Paula Vennels is coming across like a moron who just took everything at face value, with a selective memory.

And what she does remember she excuses for not having understood.

• rick_chasey

What else would you say in her shoes? She's absolutely guilty, so the best defence is "I didn't mean to" or " I definetly don't remember being an absolute shit, it was obviously ignorance, I'm not a terrible person".

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,150

I can someone like that get to such a prominent position in business?

• First.Aspect

She's just argued that telling someone which answer she needs to a question is the best way to find out what the answer is.

FFS.

• MidlandsGrimpeur2
    MidlandsGrimpeur2 Posts: 1,951

This is part of the problem, people like Vennels shouldn't be offering a defence, they should be accepting full culpability and apologising for their full and knowing part in such scandals.

If you take the money and kudos of being an exec in a major corporation, part of that bargain is that you ultimately take the reponsibility for your institutions failings.

We seemed to have moved to a culture of nobody accepting any responsibility for their actions or failings, especially amongst those in charge.

• rick_chasey

I dunno. She should go to prison IMO, and she'll be desperately wanting to avoid that.

• First.Aspect
    edited May 22

She won't, but in a sense her punishment will be that she will in perpetuity a by word for one or both of incompetence or dishonesty.

They are discussing a briefing document from 2013 about remote access to Horizon. It says what she should tell people, and then what she would say "if pushed".

She's said she didn't understand the document in that way.

Basically, she's right on the verge of having to admit she mislead parliament. Which she clearly seems to have done. She can't do so under the terms of this enquiry and they cant put her in that position directly, but the chair has just said he is going to need to ask himself why the briefing document was worded in that way.

It is quite an interesting exchange, in that she basically can't legally reply, because she seems to have knowingly withheld something rather pertinent from the select committee.

• rick_chasey

Pretty much. Her main aim is to avoid prison. So the less she says, the less she can incriminate herself.

• First.Aspect

There's a technicality about parliamentary privilege there I don't really understand.

Anyhow, it is not coming over well that she doesn't know, didn't ask, can't remember or doesn't understand most things, but has crystal clear recollections of odd emails from 9 years ago.

Not a good sign in the long run that people have laughed at her several times and that the chair has intervened quite often, to effectively say, "are you really saying that...?"

• Webboo2
    Webboo2 Posts: 905

Do you think she should be defrocked.🤔