Giro 2024:- Stage 8: Spoleto – Prati di Tivo, 152.0k​m ***Spoilers***

blazing_saddles
blazing_saddles Posts: 22,706

Stage 8: Spoleto – Prati di Tivo, 152.0k​m

May 11th.

Start Time: 11-45BST

Stage 8, on the second Saturday of the race, is also the second MTF of the race. The stage between Spoleto and the top of the Prati di Tivo is 152 kilometres long and takes in an elevation gain of 3,820 metres. Just after the start, the pink caravan climbs Forca di Cerro, followed by Forca Capistrello, which is over 16 km long. The peloton will then skim over the Terminillo massif to reach Capitignano, with continuous ups and downs leading to the western slope of the Capannelle Pass. The climb ends a short distance from the pass at Croce Abbio, where the 30 km descent begins, leading to the foot of the final climb. The finishing climb is 14.8 kilometres at 7%.

map

Climb

climb detail

final kilometres

The final climb is 14.5 km long at 7% average with peaks of up to 12%. It counts 22 hairpin bends and has the steepest gradients in the first part, with peaks around the village of Pietracamela, where the intermediate sprint is located. The last three kilometres are at 7%. The final straight is approximately 300 m long and 6 m wide on an asphalt surface.

Spoleto

The municipality of Spoleto is located in the southern part of the Umbrian Valley and enclosed within a large plain (where a lake also once stood). The town developed on the Sant’Elia hill and then continued towards the Monteluco areas and up to the banks of river Tessino.

Food

Attorta: once prepared for the main festivities throughout the year, today this cake is maily a Christmas or winter dish. The Attorta, known in other parts of Umbria as ‘rocciata’, is reminiscent of the more Nordic ‘strudel’ and is composed of a coil of pastry twisted on itself, filled with apples and other ingredients including sultanas, pine nuts, walnuts, chocolate and alchermes.

Prati di Tivo

Prati di Tivo is a tourist resort in the municipality of Pietracamela (Teramo) located at an altitude of 1,450 metres, at the foot of Gran Sasso d’Italia, which at 2,912 metres is the highest peak in the Apennines. Prati di Tivo is a tourist resort that attracts tourists and sportspeople all year round, as it offers visitors a number of customised seasonal services along with a broad variety of hotels. It is the most important site in the Apennines for both winter and summer climbing, and it features hundreds of kilometres of hiking trails for all levels of difficulty. From Prati di Tivo it is possible to reach the Carlo Franchetti Alpine Shelter, located at 2,433 metres above sea level between the majestic peaks of Corno Grande and Corno Piccolo and near the Calderone Glacier, the southernmost glacier in Europe.

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535

Fun start, a huge group trying to get away on the first (uncategorized) climb. Gaviria already going out the back

Grupetto now forming

Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • No_Ta_Doctor

UAE got it under control over that first climb, two riders out front with 40", a few riders trying to bridge solo, road surface is pretty dubious on this descent

• No_Ta_Doctor

Loads more moves going on the 15km cat 2

• No_Ta_Doctor
    edited May 11

This is fun. No big gaps but UAE are burning off riders. Sill another 7km of the climb to go

• No_Ta_Doctor

Not everyone was happy with the size/composition of the break

Still 3.8km of the climb to go, but the hardest part is done

• No_Ta_Doctor

SEan Kelly describing AG2R's previous shorts...

• No_Ta_Doctor

Just under 100km to go, looks like we have a break and it's working ok. Not being given a lot of rope though

• mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,791

Defeated looking peloton

"If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661

punchy break

• No_Ta_Doctor

Rowe doing some live commentary on Instagram

/eurosportcycling/live/?broadcast_id=18030912424967142

Forum software won't let me post the full link 🤐

Break down to 1'20 with 57k to go, bit nuts really

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,762

Perfect stage to have on in the background.

This break isn't making it, but I don't think uae should want to get any closer on this climb.

• mididoctors

Tis forum software experience is classic

Enshittificcation

"If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors

There is no virtue in the change to this format from a users pov

• Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160

Who's the American commentator on ES?

• mididoctors
  • mididoctors

Talks porkies at times

• gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570

He likes to use long words that aren't words to try make himself sound clever.

"Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • mididoctors

No merci cobra Kai by UAE

• mididoctors

• mididoctors

Well I'm dim apparently so wouldn't know ... That said he talked hours at the tour on how Healey came through some ef development scheme as a junior which Kelly tactically described as " i think he has that wrong"

• mididoctors

Here we go final climb

• mididoctors

Oh no lopez

• Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160

nice bit of tarmac there

• mididoctors

Yeah Martinez wants to give G a kicking

• No_Ta_Doctor

Bora want more speed

• mididoctors

Is that bardet trying to hang on

• mididoctors

Bardet ...I'm a fan but he ain't having a good race

• r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,382
  • mididoctors

Shame arensmen lost the time early in the race

• mididoctors

Leaving it super late .. Raphael has them pretty nailed