The boomers ate all the avocados

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661

What makes you think subsequent generations "want everything on a plate"? What do they want, precisely? And what makes you think they don't work for it?

• monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,891

Which generation doesn't have to work?

• pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,605

Lol I assume he's just trolling at this point

- Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,145
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,815

It helps to realise that the boomers (and Gen X to an extent) are the ones who are the historical exceptions. Free education to university level, free healthcare and a final salary pension? Nice. Never happened before, not happening again.

• Munsford0
    Munsford0 Posts: 673

I'm feeling got at!

Through no fault of ours we're apparently boomers. We'll eat the occasional avocado but TBH think they are overrated.

We own a modest house, mortgage free for a few years now. (Although the low cost endowment mortgage left us with a shortfall we had to fill) Don't remember feeling we had it particularly easy though, especially when raising the kids. The year after we bought this house the interest rate peaked at something like15%, and I recall evenings poring over bank statements wondering where all the money went, and racking up credit card bills when cars broke down or appliances exploded. Holidays were few and far between, and rarely beyond these shores.

I'm a pensioner but still work, kind of. More to keep mind and body stimulated than out of financial necessity. Now the kids have fled the nest we'd like a smaller, newer, more efficient home with less garden to maintain, and pass our extended 3 bed semi / garden on to a family who'd appreciate it. But all the developers round here are building is estates of family homes with more bedrooms than we need, or retirement flats with no garden or room for a shed to store and work on bikes. Sadly we're not in the financial position to buy a plot and build something suitable, so we're stuck. We feel like unwilling bed blockers in the housing market.

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,765

Surely that has to be '...who owns their own home, which is bigger than Rick's house'? Although TBH that doesn't really narrow it down at all.

"I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666

If you want NI abolished, guess which party has started to do that and vote for them.

"I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rjsterry

Rolling into income tax is not what has been discussed unless I've missed something, but I don't feel strongly either way. Just wish people would stop bleating on about how they're owed something for paying their taxes.

Pinnacle Monzonite

• Stevo_666

Keep wishing then. I would think that most taxpayers expect to get decent services for their money.

• rjsterry
    edited May 9

Sure, but you're no more entitled to a state pension than sick pay or disability living allowance or whatever. You'd think some people had done three tours of Afghanistan the way they talk about paying NI.

Pinnacle Monzonite

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,177
    edited May 9

until the government ceases to make ni 'qualifying years' the entitling factor for receiving a state pension, it's unambiguous that paying ni (or receiving credits) is what entitles an individual to receive state pension

not enough qualifying years, not entitled to state pension

never pay a penny of income tax, but get the ni qualifying years, entitled to state pension

therefore it's perfectly reasonable for people to say they paid their ni so they're entitled to a pension

imo this is an inappropriate way to do it, and has been for a long time, but it's clear

my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,212
    edited May 9

Not quite sure what mobile phones add or subtract from a person's economic world. But maybe I'm abnormal: my cheapo android bought 3 years ago from Argos for c.£70, and I think I've spent £8 or so on the O2 PAYG account this past year. But of course I'm not continually filming myself for TickleTok or whatevs.

Oh hang on, there was another page of stuff... I was responding to an earlier Oxo post. Erse, I'm off for a cold beer.

• Stevo_666

See sungod's post above - I've paid in for the required number of qualifying years so I am most definitely entitled to a state pension.

• secretsqirrel
    secretsqirrel Posts: 2,041

Not only that you have paid to support the generations before you all your working life.

• rjsterry

Yes I'm aware of the qualifying requirements. It's still a benefit, the same as JSA and Maternity Allowance.

Pinnacle Monzonite

• Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,412

Well you haven't paid 35 years of NI contributions, so no you haven't. Yet.

And plenty pay more than 35 years if they started work at 15 or 16 and work to 66, rather than start work at 23 or 25 having done lord knows how many degrees of one level or another.

• rjsterry
    edited May 9

There have to be fairly few people who can afford to do no paid work until they're 23 or 24, students or otherwise. And let's stop pretending that anyone made a huge contribution to the Exchequer as a fifteen year old in the 70s. Perhaps HMRC should send out 'I paid my taxes!' stickers to everyone so we can all give ourselves a pat on the back.

Pinnacle Monzonite

• pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,605
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • secretsqirrel
    secretsqirrel Posts: 2,041

You pay in to be eligible, but what get is funded by current taxes. So it is both.

• Stevo_666

You can buy a spoof of the old car tax discs which say 'Yes I've paid my road tax - now go fix some ****ing potholes' 🙂

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,018

I started paying income tax and N.I. at 16 in the 70s. Not a huge contribution, but a contribution.

I don't want a sticker or a pat on the back, just the benefits that I am entitled to as part of the contract. Same as anyone claiming child benefits, child care costs, maternity pay, etc, etc.

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Webboo2
    Webboo2 Posts: 926

I started paying at the age of 15. At 62 I retired on my NHS pension only to find that even though I had 40 years plus years of contributions due to some part time working after I had retired. I had pay a top up fee in order to get a full state pension. As I have lived nearly two years since getting my state pension I’m now getting my money back.

I’m like Pb you start work you pay tax NI and they tell you are entitled to X because of it. Well that’s fine by me.

• rjsterry
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Stevo_666
  • rick_chasey

So when I discussed the “social contract” 20 pages earlier, about intergenerational fairness, that “contract” was dismissed as there being no such thing, but here you are talking about your own “contract” because you paid some tax with a different name?

Your “entitlement” is not actually about the length of payment; that is merely the arbitrary rule that is in place for eligibility.

If the govt tomorrow decided to end state pension, your “contract” wouldn’t mean sh!t as there isn’t one. Same goes for raising the age or making it means tested.

You think someone born in the 90s who works their whole adult life actually expects the same kind of state support?

After all, when the rules changed, their “entitlement” to free university disappeared, right? Or their “entitlement” to getting a state pension in their 60s. Etc etc.

Don’t really care about the sustainability of your benefit? Who cares if it’s not sustainable, as long as you get your pension, right? Tough sh!t to everyone else.

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,018

Right. Here we go again.

A pension is one of the reasons given to justify N.I. Just the same as NHS, unemployment benefit, maternity pay or child benefit. We pay it on the expectation that we will collect. I have already said that I would scrap N.I. and increase income tax to balance the books as that is the reality of how the system works. It would also remove the entitlement but as long as N.I. exists with those justifications then the entitlement will remain.

"Introduced by the National Insurance Act 1911 and expanded by the Labour government in 1948, the system has been subjected to numerous amendments in succeeding years. Initially, it was a contributory form of insurance against illness and unemployment, and eventually provided retirement pensions and other benefits."

The government could introduce another amendment to remove the state pension tomorrow this is true. It wouldn't surprise me, to the extent that I have made provisions should it happen, but I (and other voters) would certainly take note so I doubt it will happen.

I think someone born in the 90s should expect a state pension but I'd hedge against it (if possible) as I have done.

Losing free university was a bad decision imo, but then so was the expectation of going to uni. When I left school with the prospect of free further education the only people who got it were the wealthy (who were used to paying for education) or those in the top 10% of grades. I.e. very few actually gained from it.

It is you that says the pension is unsustainable and want to scrap it, not me. You are completely misrepresenting my opinions, and projecting your own.

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rick_chasey

A tax is a tax. You haven't paid into a pot and you're at the whims of the government just like anyone else. No-one owes you anything because you paid some tax in the past.

• Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 3,538

Collectively we've decided that part of what those taxes pay for should be pensions though, and that's incredibly difficult to unwind. As previously mentioned, I find it very difficult to see how a government would go around scraping pensions, in a way that would be financially beneficial to them, but also politically acceptable.

The triple lock needs binning though.