The boomers ate all the avocados

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 73,869
    edited May 11

What’s the difference?

The smoking thing was already suspect, not allowing a 24 year old to pass his test and drive his kids around is f’ing ludicrous.

Let’s just infantilise them more.

Living in your own home with your own family was the most common housing arrangement for under 35s 20 years ago.

Now it’s living with your parents.

This country hates young people and the fs t you lot can’t see it is exactly the problem.

• rick_chasey

If people are worried about road safety you’d also go after motorcyclists and over 75s.

They’re not because they’re not. Shall we ban 50-60 year olds drinking booze because they drink the most of any cohort?

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 41,491

I don’t have a problem with them going after over 75s (or younger, whatever the evidence says). Insurance companies discriminate in that way because they work on risk. To take the argument to it’s logical conclusion why have an age limit on driving in the first place?

• oxoman
    oxoman Posts: 254

I had the misfortune to have a phone call that every parent of a young driver dreads. Police calling to say he'd been involved in a serious ish crash. He'd hit a car that had reversed into his path of their drive and promptly stopped because quote he couldn't see out of his iced up windscreen. No thought to check the road was clear before doing so. The guy had 2 young kids in the back, my son was devastated because of this. He was on his way to work. Breath tested and drug wiped and all zero. Did they check the other guy. Nope. Luckily nobody was hurt. 2 written of cars and sadly my sons dash cam hadn't recorded anything as it had an unknown card error. It cost my son approx 5k even after insurance paid out and that is without increased premiums. It turned out the other driver was well known for enjoying a drink or to and made the mistake of bragging to someone that knew my son, surprisingly he caught drink driving on his way home. Nobody had any sympathy for him, he has since lost his job and his family although i suspect his wife was already on the verge of ditching him. This guy was 40 something and supposedly an experienced driver. I wholeheartedly believe a graduated licence is the way to go, how it is implemented I'm not sure. A crash happened a few years ago and 4 young lads died in a burning car because of excessive speeding. 4 young lads died in Wales after car left the road in poor conditions a yr or so ago. To many deaths / injury's caused by young / old / middle aged experienced or inexperienced drivers so very hard to target any one area, but lets start educating the youngsters first. No different to educating all drivers about giving way to cyclists and horse riders, although some cyclist bring trouble on themselves.

Sorry for the rant but unless you've had the call you cannot say anything that will change my mind. I'm dreading the call with my youngest son.

Too many bikes according to Mrs O.
  • rick_chasey
    edited May 11

What is the point of being an adult at 18 if all the oldies in parliament regulate your rights away till you’re much older?

Either they’re responsible adults and you treat them like that or you don’t and you’re not an adult at 18.

• rick_chasey
    edited May 11

Tbh it would be pretty weird if the police called my parents if I was 23 and involved in a crash. Why would they be the first phone call?

I don’t get the point of this story. Your son as involved in an accident that wasn’t really his fault and you got a phone call about it? And you’re so traumatised by it that you want to stop all young people driving freely?

Bizarre.

I guess when I was 19 and I was at home during the summer uni break a man pushed me off my bike by leaning out of the car window and if fractured my pelvis. I must confess my first port of call wasn’t to put loads of restrictions on young people driving.

Not sure the parents were expecting my call in the night either. They’re not petitioning?!

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,955

You can buy a 16-25 railcard when you're 16-25. That right is lost at 26 despite still being an adult.

• rick_chasey
    edited May 11

Yes because it’s so ludicrously expensive you can’t expect young people to afford it. The changing of costs is hardly a “right” is it?

You can still get on a train?

Bit different from not letting a mother with a licence to drive her kids to their grandparents because she’s 24

• orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,911

Like this sort of shit is gonna happen. Move on. At whatever speed / with or sans phone in hand.

• MidlandsGrimpeur2
    MidlandsGrimpeur2 Posts: 1,547

Specifically with regards the car insurance, I don't see this as trying to restrict young drivers, it is simply ripping them off. If it was deterring young people from driving, and therefore not paying insurance premiums, there would be no incentive for insurance companies to do it.

They are simply using the perception that young drivers carry more risk to justify making more profit off them. I would guess there is also the calculation that parents will help them out with costs in some cases.

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 41,491

They’re reacting to a high profile campaign from a group of bereaved parents. It’s what politicians do. I suspect the campaign is partly based on parental guilt but it’s caught the attention of the media so populist politicians will jump on it. I don’t think it is because it punishes youngsters just that cynical politicians are seeing a chance to raise their profile.

FWIW your ‘24 year old parent not being able to drive his kids’ is a straw man. It’s pretty easy to legislate that you can have your own children as passengers (not that there are that many 24 year olds driving their kids around I’d have thought). If the intention is similar to what they do in Australia then it would be aiming at stopping them driving around with other teenagers / under 25s (I think might also be between certain times).

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,955

• rick_chasey
    edited May 12

If they were serious about road safety they would not only be going after under 25s.

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 59,532

Maybe we need a separate thread for Rick to air his latest grievance, titled 'The Gen Z'ers had their avocados confiscated' ? That way he can keep his ageism separate from his burning sense of injustice over young people's insurance premiums.

🙂

"I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 28,233

I think you are being ridiculous. An online petition getting 23000 signatures and a private members bill that is a long way off reaching royal assent (if it ever does) does not add up to the country hating young people.

1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 3,195

I feel like 25 is too old but that also a year after passing your test is (in some ways) too short, it's just putting a pause of a year in young lads getting together and driving a bit dickishly.

It feels like something that is very much from the slightly pearl clutching "something must be done" side of society.

• rjsterry

Of course. It's from the same mindset as the Dangerous Dogs Act.

The idea that you can legislate to prevent young men being reckless is so ridiculous I'm amazed anyone is taking it seriously.

Pinnacle Monzonite

• rick_chasey

It’s not in isolation is it? Just another data point.

• rick_chasey
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,440

Really bizarre to use an anecdote about someone in their 40s messing up, then end by saying it's hard to target any one group...let's start with the young!

- Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • pangolin

Appreciate I can't say anything that will change your mind Oxo as I've not had a call saying a middle aged bloke has crashed

- Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • rjsterry
    edited May 12

It's a data point but as it has all the support of a moderately successful cat video I'm not sure it supports your ludicrously hyperbolic contention. Worth looking at this list if you think getting a PMB to second reading is significant.

Pinnacle Monzonite

• oxoman
    oxoman Posts: 254

PS can't stand Avocado's 🤮

Too many bikes according to Mrs O.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,526

Anyone with kids a little over the age of 18 will tell you they clearly aren't responsible adults, those that are will be a very small minority, especially amongst blokes.

• pangolin

I feel like I'm missing something obvious, why is the line going up disproportionately to the bar over on the right of the chart?

Are the bars saying not many people in that age group drive, whilst the line says those that do drive are involved in a disproportionate number of collisions?

- Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono