Things you have recently learnt

1798081828385»

Comments

• Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,407

Ride London are still trying to fill the ride for this year with 4 weeks to go.

Used to be that applicants far outweighed the number of slots available. I'm unsure if they've over expanded or if it's just not held in the same regard now.

• briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 18,262

Or maybe it's too expensive. The local sportive that I did three times is now 2-3 times as expensive (depending on how early you book).

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,520

It was fun when it went up Box Hill and finished on the Mall car free, but I can't get excited about this route really.

I didn't know until I just looked that it starts in central London now, and finishes near London Bridge.

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 41,087

I think it previously used to make riders feel epic as they got to ride the same route as the pros. Cycling definitely seems to have strated going out of fashion though. At least this one was closed roads and a bit special but I can't say I'm disappointed to see a decline in those commercial sportive events that made money by getting people riding on public roads and giving them some crisps and jelly babies every few miles. I think they've moved on to the Ultra marathon scene now instead.

• carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,636

A basic entry is now £99 (£275! for VIP), but if you live outside London, its going to cost a heck of a lot more.

My daughter did the marathon the other week, and it probably cost us well over £500 to go and support her (travel, hotel, TFL, food and drink etc). The need to sign on the day prior is an expensive pita.

2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,961

Running is the big boom now. I used to see at least of couple of large cycling groups on my Sunday rides especially pre-Covid but now seeing even one is rare. Of the cyclists I do see ones that look under 40 are like hens teeth. Also a lot of the sportives that sprung up around the 2012 time have disappeared, the only two big ones that are left are ones that have been running for a long time.

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,858

Golf is surely due a come back.

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 73,170
    edited April 29

Cycling has got very expensive.

Beyond the middle range £150 shorts, even the consumables have got very expensive.

• briantrumpet

With the demise of Wiggle, I'm going to have to find a new source of sensibly-priced shorts in place of DHB... glad I did a bit of stocking up before the shutters went up.

• briantrumpet

Oh, I take it all back... it looks like they are still going... via Wiggle.com and Chainreactioncycles.com, and even House of Fraser. My old bookmark of wiggle.co.uk is as dead as a dead thing though.