Things you have recently learnt

Comments

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 59,507

Fun little factoid

The most northern, eastern and western US state is Alaska
    Eastern?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,717
    Well, those Tamagotchi things had more processing power than the Apollo 11 spacecraft (aparently).
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 15,298
    Stevo_666 said:

Fun little factoid

The most northern, eastern and western US state is Alaska
    Eastern?
    Think about it.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,251
    Alaska lies at the extreme northwest of the North American continent, and the Alaska Peninsula is the largest peninsula in the Western Hemisphere. Because the 180th meridian passes through the state’s Aleutian Islands, Alaska’s westernmost portion is in the Eastern Hemisphere. Thus, technically, Alaska is in both hemispheres.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 15,298
    pblakeney said:

Alaska lies at the extreme northwest of the North American continent, and the Alaska Peninsula is the largest peninsula in the Western Hemisphere. Because the 180th meridian passes through the state’s Aleutian Islands, Alaska’s westernmost portion is in the Eastern Hemisphere. Thus, technically, Alaska is in both hemispheres.

I wanted Stevo to work it out, by analogy to extreme left and right wing politics.
  • pblakeney

pblakeney said:

I wanted Stevo to work it out, by analogy to extreme left and right wing politics.
    Apologies. Tbh, everyone has access to t'internet so I shouldn't bother anyway.
    Stock answer in future - "Google".
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,525
    Reminded me of a riddle I heard recently. Someone walks a mile due South, a mile to the West then a mile Northward and ends up in the same place. What colour is the bear?
  • pblakeney

Reminded me of a riddle I heard recently. Someone walks a mile due South, a mile to the West then a mile Northward and ends up in the same place. What colour is the bear?

Too easy.
    Google has the answer.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 41,471
    edited August 2023
    pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Apologies. Tbh, everyone has access to t'internet so I shouldn't bother anyway.
    Stock answer in future - "Google".
    I think the process is that when someone asks you the response is “do your own research” whereas when they ask you and you say the same they come back with “so you don’t have any evidence”. 😉
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 73,837
    https://www.economist.com/briefing/2023/08/17/chinas-defeated-youth

My beef about opportunities for the under 30s is largely the same in large swathes of the world, not just the west.
  • veronese68
    pblakeney said:

Too easy.
    Google has the answer.
    It must be fairly easy as I got the answer without resorting to Google, mind you I haven't checked I'm right, but I'm sure I am.
  • veronese68
    Google is a conversation killer, I knew this already, PB has just confirmed it.
  • pblakeney

pblakeney said:

Too easy.
    Google has the answer.
    It must be fairly easy as I got the answer without resorting to Google, mind you I haven't checked I'm right, but I'm sure I am.
    Oh, I knew the answer as it's an old one. Like myself.
    It intrigues how people can't find things out these days, but that's for another thread.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Stevo_666
    pblakeney said:

Got it.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666

pblakeney said:

Yawn.
  • Pross
    The background to the lyrics of Zombie. I’d never paid much attention until hearing the crowd singing it last night at the rugby (also heard it getting butchered by a girl singing an acoustic version at a local music festival a couple of weeks ago but not as badly as she butchered Royals).

I also learned that what it comes on my running playlist my pace increases by 30” per mile.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,666
    COBRA - as in the government emergency meetings - stands for Cabinet Briefing Room A.
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    mrb123 said:

COBRA - as in the government emergency meetings - stands for Cabinet Briefing Room A.

You missed the 'O' - Office, as in Cabinet Office.
  • joeyhalloran
    joeyhalloran Posts: 1,080
    That Ofsted can close down a (our) nursery for 6 weeks (or longer) with an hours notice.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,666
    me-109 said:

mrb123 said:

You missed the 'O' - Office, as in Cabinet Office.
    Well spotted!
  • Pross

That Ofsted can close down a (our) nursery for 6 weeks (or longer) with an hours notice.

That’s two people that’s happened to on here in two days.
  • veronese68
    Pross said:

That’s two people that’s happened to on here in two days.
    Or does Joey run the nursery Shirley's kid's at?
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    edited October 2023
    Well I was about to ask!

(Edit: just found him on the whinging parents whatapp group)
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,943

Well I was about to ask!

(Edit: just found him on the whinging parents whatapp group)

Do you have a plan? Is the nursery credit worthy?
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 18,588
    Apparently 'blowing a raspberry' comes from rhyming slang 'raspberry tart' = fart. I knever knewed that. Am I the only one who didn't?
  • pblakeney

Apparently 'blowing a raspberry' comes from rhyming slang 'raspberry tart' = fart. I knever knewed that. Am I the only one who didn't?

Not the only one, no.
    Thanks!
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • briantrumpet
    pblakeney said:

Not the only one, no.
    Thanks!

At least I learnded about 'berk' a few years ago... and never called my mother one.
  • Pross
    That when you get a double rainbow the colours are reversed in the secondary one. Probably something everyone with a basic grasp of physics already knew though
  • pblakeney
    🤣🤣🤣
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • briantrumpet

I also hope that the person who used it on Twitter, and caused me to look it up, next time makes sure when he tries to be a clever d!ck to get the spelling right, and not spell it "apothegm".

I doubt I shall ever use it, even less likely than 'maxim' or 'aphorism' (which I did know already). I'm more likely just to say "a saying".

Still, it's quite a nice word, even if it is Will Self-ish.