Things you have recently learnt

Comments

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 15,298

Pross said:

I’d love to read Rick’s dissertation. I assume it started with ‘this is my assertion’ and then looked for any evidence he thought backed it up. Doubt any peer review queries went down well.

Smashed it thanks. First ✌🏻
    Is that a mistaken identity thing, because someone happens to agree with me, or is this a who has the best degree willy waving thing you've started?

• Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 3,185
    Think we over egg the free healthcare when people are waiting 60 hours for an ambulance...
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 28,226
    Life expectancy in the US is falling.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 18,588
    Jezyboy said:

Think we over egg the free healthcare when people are waiting 60 hours for an ambulance...

The Tories' plan is working.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 73,837

Pross said:

I’d love to read Rick’s dissertation. I assume it started with ‘this is my assertion’ and then looked for any evidence he thought backed it up. Doubt any peer review queries went down well.

Smashed it thanks. First ✌🏻
    Is that a mistaken identity thing, because someone happens to agree with me, or is this a who has the best degree willy waving thing you've started?

I didn’t bring it up tbf.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 41,471
    To highlight why comparing States to countries doesn’t really work, Connecticut is top of the list but how much of that wealth is earned in Connecticut? I assume it is too as that is where the people who make serious wealth in NYC tend to live so it is more comparable with Surrey.
  • First.Aspect
    It would be interesting to check state tax rules. Used to be that Delaware was the go-to corporation tax haven, to the extent that some companies actually based there (rather than having only a registered office there for tax reasons) were investigated for tax evasion. I'm wondering if the pendulum has swung somewhere else, or it it is different for personal taxation in some states.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,525

Okay, bit more context. I just looked up top 1% in the US. Googled answers varied from about $400k to about $600k or higher, but it isn't clear which of the more eye watering stats are actually household incomes.

In the UK, it's actually £200k, which a month or two ago was about $220k, and now is about $260k - showing the hazards of comparing just by currency values. I know there are data that try to adjust based on local purchasing power. If you've been to the US recently, you'll see that prices are quite high for a lot of goods, so I'd say £200k pa. here is analogous to about $300k there, all in all.

It is a big difference, nonetheless.

But RC is comparing apples and pears. These averages vary by about a factor of 3 from state to state. Comparing California's top 1% to our UK wide top 1% is a bit like comparing the top 1% of earners in London with the national average. In just the same way, most Californians live in the Bay Area or LA, both of which are quite extreme wage and cost bubbles.

I hope this makes everyone happier, that the top 1% in the US are only about twice as well off as the top 1% here, and the median only about 30% better off. Yay.

I mean, states are fairly normal comparisons for European countries, given their size and population.

California has 40m population.
    If California is about 10% of the US, and London is about 10% of the UK... wouldn't that be a fairer comparison?
    lol. Not especially no. California is obviously an interesting comparison because it is comparable to a European country but its economy is just bananas.

London is a city so you can compare it to other cities.

You're not getting my point that California is the 10% of a country to which population and wealth has gravitated. Ditto London as part of the UK (or England). That confers it all sorts of advantages.
    lol you're just arbitrarily defining geographies. Britain is 10% of Europe to which population and wealth has (or perhaps had) gravitated. That confers all sorts of advantages blah blah.

Lads, here's a clue; it's all arbitrary and there is no such thing as a completely fair comparison in this game, so complaining it isn't is a bit like complaining the Tour has cyclists in it.

Honestly, I don't really care. I have ambitions to be a top 1% earner and I suspect plenty here are. Plus I spend most of my time speaking to 1% earners about their pay so it's quite front of mind for me.

The idea that you'd have to earn near a mill to be top 1% in the US blows my mind and is a nice little data point in the wider context of the US economy going gangbusters.
    A future in statistics does not beckon RC.

$400k or $600K is not nearly a million.

You are getting into a saying the same thing in different ways spiral again. You are still wrong.
    Aw, come on FA. Here's the bbrg table. That number near the top, the $952,902, that one? *whispers* it's almost a million *whispers*

Your own chart shows that figure as being the top 1% in Connecticut. There are 10 states listed, the 10th requires $659,000 to be in the top 1%. What do the remainder require?
    So your chart shows you don't need to be earning anything like $1m to be in the top 1% stateside.
    Besides being an old git I realise that what you earn compared to others means nothing. That your family are happy and healthy means infinitely more than wealth.
    Have you tried not being an old git?
    Shouldn't we stick to what we're good at?
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,525

Okay, bit more context. I just looked up top 1% in the US. Googled answers varied from about $400k to about $600k or higher, but it isn't clear which of the more eye watering stats are actually household incomes.

In the UK, it's actually £200k, which a month or two ago was about $220k, and now is about $260k - showing the hazards of comparing just by currency values. I know there are data that try to adjust based on local purchasing power. If you've been to the US recently, you'll see that prices are quite high for a lot of goods, so I'd say £200k pa. here is analogous to about $300k there, all in all.

But RC is comparing apples and pears. These averages vary by about a factor of 3 from state to state. Comparing California's top 1% to our UK wide top 1% is a bit like comparing the top 1% of earners in London with the national average. In just the same way, most Californians live in the Bay Area or LA, both of which are quite extreme wage and cost bubbles.

I hope this makes everyone happier, that the top 1% in the US are only about twice as well off as the top 1% here, and the median only about 30% better off. Yay.

I mean, states are fairly normal comparisons for European countries, given their size and population.

If California is about 10% of the US, and London is about 10% of the UK... wouldn't that be a fairer comparison?
    lol. Not especially no. California is obviously an interesting comparison because it is comparable to a European country but its economy is just bananas.

You're not getting my point that California is the 10% of a country to which population and wealth has gravitated. Ditto London as part of the UK (or England). That confers it all sorts of advantages.
    lol you're just arbitrarily defining geographies. Britain is 10% of Europe to which population and wealth has (or perhaps had) gravitated. That confers all sorts of advantages blah blah.

Lads, here's a clue; it's all arbitrary and there is no such thing as a completely fair comparison in this game, so complaining it isn't is a bit like complaining the Tour has cyclists in it.

Honestly, I don't really care. I have ambitions to be a top 1% earner and I suspect plenty here are. Plus I spend most of my time speaking to 1% earners about their pay so it's quite front of mind for me.

The idea that you'd have to earn near a mill to be top 1% in the US blows my mind and is a nice little data point in the wider context of the US economy going gangbusters.

You are getting into a saying the same thing in different ways spiral again. You are still wrong.
    Aw, come on FA. Here's the bbrg table. That number near the top, the $952,902, that one? *whispers* it's almost a million *whispers*

Your own chart shows that figure as being the top 1% in Connecticut. There are 10 states listed, the 10th requires $659,000 to be in the top 1%. What do the remainder require?
    So your chart shows you don't need to be earning anything like $1m to be in the top 1% stateside.
    Besides being an old git I realise that what you earn compared to others means nothing. That your family are happy and healthy means infinitely more than wealth.
    Just to add to this, I’ve recently started getting posts on my Facebook feed suggesting I might be interested in a group titled ‘cycling for those aged 70 plus’. A little premature at the moment 😂
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,251

Just to add to this, I’ve recently started getting posts on my Facebook feed suggesting I might be interested in a group titled ‘cycling for those aged 70 plus’. A little premature at the moment 😂
    Coincidentally, me too.
    A bit previous. Should we be offended? That said, I look damned good for 70+ 🤣
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,101
    Crisps were only sold in plain or salted until 1954

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • rick_chasey
    What’s everyone’s favourite crisp flavour?
  • First.Aspect
    Paprika.
  • rick_chasey
    Ah, the holiday crisp
  • First.Aspect
    Anything supposedly meat flavour is good as well. Except Bovril crisps, which were a mis-step.

Do Pringles count as crisps? I think not. They only taste good because of the super high surface area. But they do taste good.
  • rick_chasey
    As much as I like a fancy crisp, my favourite will always be the walkers/lays crisps. They just are so much more strongly flavoured.

I am torn between prawn cocktail and salt & vinegar. shout out to Worcestershire sauce flavour (which I have not seen in about a decade).
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,251
    edited July 2023

What’s everyone’s favourite crisp flavour?

Of all time? Tudor Pickled Onion.
    Current? Simple "vanilla" Salt & Vinegar. Walkers or GW, no fancy brands required.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • First.Aspect
    Am I the only person who dislikes salt and vinegar?
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,417
    Hedgehog
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,666

As much as I like a fancy crisp, my favourite will always be the walkers/lays crisps. They just are so much more strongly flavoured.

I am torn between prawn cocktail and salt & vinegar. shout out to Worcestershire sauce flavour (which I have not seen in about a decade).

If you like strongly flavoured, you need to get some Co-Op sea salt and Chardonnay vinegar crisps. Highly addictive.

• rick_chasey
    mrb123 said:

If you like strongly flavoured, you need to get some Co-Op sea salt and Chardonnay vinegar crisps. Highly addictive.

Yup, agreed.
  • rick_chasey

My wife, who seems to have the same identical taste in crisp as you.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195

these. Pret did something similar for a while but no longer
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,666
    Discovered Mackies Pickled Onion crisps when staying up in the Highlands earlier this year. Assume they're a Scottish brand as quite hard to find South of the border. Very good though - superb with a cold beer after a day on the hills.
  • rick_chasey

Sainos do them IIRC.
  • First.Aspect

My wife, who seems to have the same identical taste in crisp as you.
    Discerning.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195

Sainos do them IIRC.
    yes i know where to get them. Pret did their own brand with a very similar flavour for a while which were excellent.
  • rick_chasey
    Ah sorry.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 41,471

I eat them but they aren't a favourite and usually the ones left at the end of a multipack but I do like salt and vinegar Discos for some reason.

T Bone Steak flavoured Roysters are my favourite but not enough of them in a pack. For everyday crisps I like prawn cocktail.