Broadband Providers

13»

Comments

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,762

£60 now for virgin 500Mb/s, all calls, TV, sky sports and movies and Netflix. Been with them forever, but have to go through the the palaver every time.

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310

As an aside I can't remember the last time I used a landline phone at home.

It rang one day and I swear no one knew what the noise was

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,762

Yes, with broadband calling, even the bad mobile reception in the house isn't such an issue.

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,162

Our landline was out of action and we only found out when the mother-in-law was moaning she couldn’t contact us on it. No idea how long it was down as even she has started to call the wife on her mobile.

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,162

Might look at moving to Virgin in a couple of weeks when out of contract with BT. They finally got around to installing cables in our area last year. Oddly, random towns in the Valleys have had cable since the 80s that gradually changed operator until becoming Virgin. Looks like I could save a fair bit on my current BT and Sky packages. My other option is to go for a local company, it wouldn’t save much but the customer service is supposed to be excellent and there are fewer customers sharing a line.

• laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,505

We've been with TalkTalk for ages.

Old contract ran out and the best value for us was to switch to "full fibre" which, as suggested up thread, was actually cheaper than our existing copper connection.

Engineer came out to have a look and there was no conduit form the BT "manhole" on the pavement at the end of the drive. They therefore had to send out someone to install a conduit before they could run the fibre up the drive to the house. Problem here was that our drive is block paved so they send out a team of "landscapers" to take up block paving, dig down to fit conduit from manhole on pavement to the house and then the original engineers to install the fibre. They then re-laid the block paving to a very high standard (and kindly "blinded the rest of the block paved drive with the sand they had left over!)

It then turns out that the connection under the manhole did not have fibre running to it. We live in a cul-de-sac and so they then had to make a fibre connection from the other side of the road from which our cul-de-sac spurs (about 50 yards) to get us connected.

All of the above cost me nothing above the monthly £27(ish) that I had signed up to.

Goodness knows how much the various teams of contractors and engineers would have cost but it would be way more than the £27 x 18 months that I have signed up for - they must be making some money from somewhere but it ain't me.

Wilier Izoard XP
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,539

They're hoping to make money over the next decade, but as you point out, it doesn't really add up, so I expect it to become a lot more expensive at some point when investors don't get the returns they were expecting.

• briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,540

I ended up with three Openreach vans and teams for my TT fibre connection. I've no idea how the costs of that are divvied up, but ditto re my monthly bill.

• tailwindhome

BT visited ours last week to do something or the other, something to do with the migration of phone services, anyway he couldn't believe the job the builder had done with the original installation or that Open Reach has left it as it was. Quote 'your wifi must be shit'

Anyway, he dug up the garden and a small strip of tarmac to reinstall it. Fair play he left a tidy job.

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,694

Dropped Virgin and went with Community Fibre when full fibre came into our road. £25 a month for 1gbps each way. Getting rid of Virgin was significantly more painful than was needed, 3 people just hung up the phone rather than deal with someone that is leaving. Eventually got through to a manager who dealt with it. Had to return the router and when I dropped it into the Evri collection point the guy said something about another one leaving Virgin, he was getting 3-4 of them going back every day.

• tailwindhome

Frustrating that when you have your TV with Sky and your Broadband with BT neither treats you automatically as a new customer when you're shopping for a new bundle.

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,976

Neither will EE if you are a BT customer. Or vice versa.

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • tailwindhome
    edited April 28

EE has been the best result

150 branded Broadband +Sport package (including Eurosport) + TV box and 2 mini boxes

24months 46.99

• thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,807

EE is (or was) BT. BT has now split into two defined areas and rebranded as EE for consumer broadband/voice over IP/mobile. Meanwhile BT is now strictly for SME business customers. Their new tagline is ‘BT means business’.

• Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,395

And then they (BT) literally steal from your bank account when you leave them. Full DDM payments taken after leaving plus a significant cancellation fee that wasn't applicable. Oh, and then repeated lies about when they would refund the stolen funds. Thieving crooks.