Broadband Providers

Comments

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,537

I get 500mb+ in the loft from the Virgin router in the cupboard under the stairs on the ground floor. That seems pretty decent.

With the Virgin router?
  • I get 500mb+ in the loft from the Virgin router in the cupboard under the stairs on the ground floor. That seems pretty decent.

With the Virgin router?
    Yes, the Hub 4.
  • dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152

I forget how many middle aged professionals who cycle are avid gamers.

Zwift, I suppose. Minimise the lag and make group rides easier.

Well I know of a few that are, including myself.
  • TheBigBean

I get 500mb+ in the loft from the Virgin router in the cupboard under the stairs on the ground floor. That seems pretty decent.

With the Virgin router?
    Yes, the Hub 4.
    That's pretty impressive. Mine drops massively just on the other side of the room.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,701

With the Virgin router?
    Yes, the Hub 4.
    That's pretty impressive. Mine drops massively just on the other side of the room.
    You don't know what the speed is at the wall.

Ours goes from about 75 to 55-70 over WiFi, depending on where we are. It is 62 in the loft right now.

The range extenders we have are hilariously slow. Lucky if I get 25.

Am considering a proper mesh. Does it really make that much difference, over tplink boosters that are doing basically the same thing?
  • TheBigBean

With the Virgin router?
    Yes, the Hub 4.
    You don't know what the speed is at the wall.

Ours goes from about 75 to 55-70 over WiFi, depending on where we are. It is 62 in the loft right now.

The range extenders we have are hilariously slow. Lucky if I get 25.

Am considering a proper mesh. Does it really make that much difference, over tplink boosters that are doing basically the same thing?
    I don't know. My mesh was cheap and just works. It's not the fastest though, so doesn't support the 1000 MB from the Virgin router. The advantage of a mesh is that they talk to each other, so if you use a mobile device (mobile, laptop etc.) it will automatically connect to the nearest node as you move around rather than keep a connection to one further away.

In general, if I can guarantee a connection speed greater than 50 MB everywhere than that it is plenty.

I got a mesh because the Virgin router wouldn't reach to where I work.

The other consideration for me, and probably not you, is congestion on the wifi network. I have an app which shows which bands are more congested. It's a problem in densely populated areas. This problem is solved by the more expensive "tri band" meshes as all the nodes have a dedicated channel to talk to each other on.

Anyway, in a ideal world I would have ethernet cables everywhere and Ubiquiti access points giving me seamless 1000 MB coverage throughout, but my £60 mesh (Tenda Nova NW3) does the job.

• Our current house is a warren of thick and thin walls, so I used to use powerline to get to various places, but now I run a network of mesh/powerline TP-Link Deco P9 towers which are working brilliantly.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Anyone with a view on Zen as a provider? £36p/m for 45-69mbs? (not for me)
  • First.Aspect

Seems expensive. I've got 150 and unlimited calls from BT for £42.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,974

Sounds like a basic standard speed service. Should be available for around £25/month.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,540

Seems expensive. I've got 150 and unlimited calls from BT for £42.

Ditto, but for £31 for 24 months from Talktalk, and they seem to have sorted the 5GHz problem now.
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 2,293
    Zen, A&A and the rest of the more expensive offerings only really come into their own when/if you get issues. Rather than having half trained monkeys following a script as "tech support" you do get far better assistance.

If you're working from home the extra expense is probably worth it.
  • briantrumpet
    FWIW, the Talktalk helplines are a big pile of poo, but the community forums are totally ace.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310

Lads, explain this pricing like you'd explain it to a boomer

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • First.Aspect

It's a GCSE maths question. Calculate the best value in Mbps/£

• daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870

That's exactly why I went with Zen for more than a couple of years, as I work from home 4-5 days a week, and need a reliable connection - prior to that I had been with plusnet for many years, and whilst it was fine for occasional wfh, it wasn't always spot on, and in my job to allow me to wfh I need to be able to rely on a fast connection.

I started with a 'normal' connection, and then converted to fibre last year, iirc it went from £35 a month to £45, and I ditched the physical line for a phone.

They also supply (or did at any rate) a rather decent router which makes a nice change.

I've not once had an issue with the connection, iirc on one occasion I had an issue with my VPN disconnecting, which they looked into, but could find no issue, and in all likelihood I think it was probably my workplaces issue.

It's also spot on for streaming TV, which we do a lot of now, whether it's iplayer, itvplayer, youtube, discovery etc, the times we watch 'live' tv are incredibly rare, lice streaming programs are far more likely.

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • TheBigBean

Complete guess - the lower speeds are national level prices based on using the old copper wires and the higher speeds are with a fibre optic cable and therefore not available to everyone. They're probably cheaper because there is a lot of competition to sign people up and get a load of users with a view to becoming profitable some time in the future.

• briantrumpet

Yes, and I suspect they want to get as many people onto fibre as possible before the copper network starts to be withdrawn.

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,761
    edited March 15

The expensive ones with low speeds aren't there for anyone to actually select as a new customer, but the prices have gone up to make sure that anyone who is up for renewal is fleeced if they don't check.

Superfast 35 is a fibre broadband package.

• photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,669

All a bunch of crooks. Worse than your local Ket dealer.

They get you hooked then they'll fleece you every which way.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• rick_chasey

FWIW, the sky broadband I got is less reliable than the virgin equivalent - they use a different network.

• rick_chasey

• TheBigBean

Presumably fibre to the local cabinet and not fibre to your house.

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,761

It all sounds quite pricey to me.

• oxoman
    oxoman Posts: 349

We switched from Sky to virgin when Sky wanted to hike the cost up. Got 300 plus mbps compared against sky's snail like 32mbps. OH is happy as all the Sky channels she wanted were available on top of that we saved nearly 40 quid a month compared to what Sky wanted.

Too many bikes according to Mrs O.
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,881
    edited March 15

When I moved house last year, I rang virgin to ask to cancel their service as the cost had risen a lot since I originally signed up.

I turned down 3 or 4 of their offers and ended up saving a small fortune and getting an upgraded speed (to 400Mbs I think, way more than I will ever need). It's pretty shocking the amount they rip you off if you don't push back.

• rick_chasey

Yeah did the opposite for a similar saving. Gotta switch every 3 years to keep the costs down.

• TheBigBean

You need to recontract. I pay £72 (up from £64) for the works.