Seemingly trivial things that annoy you

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    edited February 26

What, telling him that I've reported him to the police for keying cars and will keep doing so until he stops?

I'm hardly gonna beat him up.

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,711

Are you bigger, or smaller than his dog?

• secretsqirrel
    secretsqirrel Posts: 2,030

Also, is ‘someone around the corner’ reliable? Or just picking on some dog walker for being easily recognised.

• rick_chasey
    edited February 26

Who knows. A professional detective none of us are, but the professionals won’t help us!

• First.Aspect

It's not going to help to make allegations if they are just a passer by, and if they are a serial car scratcher, it's not going to help unless you catch them at it. But go ahead if you disagree.

• rick_chasey
    edited February 26

Yeah, maybe i'll just follow at a distance and see.

I find the injustice of people like this getting away with is so distracting.

Also, I'm supposed to be getting the car repaired soon. Reluctant to do so if there it's a serial vandal and he's not been caught yet. Already costing me £650 on the excess plus whatever the cost is in the future insurance prices.

• First.Aspect

Pfft. You going to follow the guy home? Then what? Do it again?

• rick_chasey

Combo of police reports in the area, a suspect with an address - you'd hope at that point the rozzers would pay a visit.

• First.Aspect

Well if you had any reason to make someone a suspect, perhaps.

Does he wear a hoodie, at least?

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,981

At what point does stalking become an issue?

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,163

Follow with a GoPro but if there's someone around he's highly unlikely to do anything.

• First.Aspect

Can I suggest none of these things?

• rick_chasey

FA has gone pro criminal 😜

• monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,884

The Venn diagram of people who key cars at random and people who are likely to get aggressive/violent when challenged probably has quite a lot of overlap. Doesn't mean he should be free to do as he pleases but getting yourself attacked by some nutter who walks past your front door twice a day isn't going to make things any better.

• rick_chasey
    edited February 26

Meh, the threat of violence always seems to let them off the hook, but never the other way around. I'm not that easily cowed tbh. Which is presumably why I'm such a gobshite.

Anyway, this is all predicated on my willingess to sit looking out my window on the offchance someone matching the description going around the street walks by.

Likelihood of this actually happening? Pretty low I suspect.

• pblakeney

Rick with a wig. 😉

Veronese68 wrote:
  • Pross

Follow him home and burn his house down in retaliation. Best way to stop these people is to show you're prepared to go further than them.

• First.Aspect

Wire the car up to the mains after you park.

• First.Aspect

Or get an in-car motion sensing camera or somesuch. I believe they do exist.

• pblakeney
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,769

It's what a European farmer would do.

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,105

Someone tried to remove the catalytic converter from the car opposite late one evening. The owner is a big chap and I was surprised at quite how fast he could move. I'm sort of glad the attempted thief got away in one piece. I don't think my former neighbour was going to confront the guy verbally.

1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Pross

Trying to learn a song in Welsh when you don't speak Welsh - it's so hard to remember the start of the next phrase when you don't have any context on the meaning of the words e.g.

Myfanwy boed yr holl o'th fywyd

Dan heulwen ddisglair canol dydd.

A boed i rosyn gwridog iechyd

I ddawnsio ganmlwydd ar dy rudd.

Anghofia'r oll o'th addewidion

A wneist i rywun, 'ngeneth ddel,

A dyro'th law, Myfanwy dirion

I ddim ond dweud y gair "Ffarwél"

• Pross

I’ve done that a few times. There are some we only sing rarely so I get it for one concert then we don’t do it for a year and it goes again. Learned some for the opera I did last year and rehearsal for that was intense as it was with the WNO so that has stuck.

• secretsqirrel
    secretsqirrel Posts: 2,030

I must be a bit strange as I have never been bothered about the meaning of lyrics so long as the sound of the words fits with the music. I’m happy to sing in any language if somebody explains the pronunciation. I just feel the meaning from the music if that makes sense.

I’ll probably get into trouble one day from singing something highly offensive without realising it 🤔

• briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,560

I remember seeing a very weird video in Tate St Ives of a bloke walking to stay still on an escalator to stay still while reciting the first chapter of Genesis, while everyone else in the video was walking backwards... he did it by learning the whole of the chapter phonetically backwards, he walked backwards on the escalator while doing it, then he reversed the video so that it looked like he was the only one going the correct way, and also his recitation of Genesis was the right way. The visual bit would have been fairly simple to do, but learning about three minutes of gobbledygook phonetically must have been a nightmare. Even worse than learning Welsh (the right way round).

• photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,674

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.