Comments

• pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,602

🙉

- Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,689

I am surprised that no one from genZ has banned that emoji yet.

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310

'Cue' and 'queue' are homophones, but in certain contexts mean the same thing.

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,602

Cue/Queue up some music while you think about it.

- Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • wakemalcolm
    wakemalcolm Posts: 825

Try rubbing chalk into the hair of people waiting for a bus and see where that gets you.

================================
    Cake is just weakness entering the body
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,088
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,521

If anyone's not read 'Entangled Life', it a really good book, and the stuff about lichen is extraordinary in itself, including the extremes of cold, dessication and cosmic radiation it can withstand and still spring back to life when it comes back to Earth and moisture.

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,150

How car insurance works. My daughter has recently split up with her boyfriend and has to take him off her car insurance. They are the same age (26) and have the same amount of driving experience. He has quite a few points, she has none. The quotes with him removed as a named driver have gone up massively and her current insurer will no longer insure at all. I know it is all based on complex risk analysis etc. but I really can't understand how removing him from the policy is increasing the risk. I suppose that it may have just been something that was going to happen anyway and changing the policy has brought it forward but I can't see any other logical reason.

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969
    edited February 6

My insurance renewal in November increased 50% with no change in circumstance. No amount of searching could reduce this. Quite possibly just another example of cost of living crisis, or industry gouging.

Edit:- Oh, and my wife's was the same earlier which is why I was prepared for it to happen.

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,771

My daughter just renewed hers. Shes now on 4 years no claims bonus and had turned 21 prior to renewal. Premium increase was about £200. Everything else remained the same - no claims, no points. Cossie livs.

I do remember being promised cheaper car insurance a couple of years ago as we no longer had to have some private land cover or something?

2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • rjsterry

Does sound more likely to be a general increase that coincides with the change in circumstances.

Pinnacle Monzonite

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,637

It's a combo of things.

1) parts and replacement cars are much more expensive than they were. This is partly due to inflation, restricted supply (covid hangover) but also increasing complexity in cars means your average accident is more costly to replace in general. Cost of repairs went up around 30% in the UK claims market last year.

2) Car theft is through the roof and that is costing insurers a lot, especially in cities. Has your daughter moved to London? That will massively bump up the premium.

Was reading some Range Rover owners literally can't get their cars insured as a result of all the theft.

• monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,879

My MD has a Land Rover of some variety and when his insurance came up for renewal the insurer just refused it (and this is in a rural backwater, not a crime ridden metropolis) I think even when he went through a broker he couldn't find anyone.

• Pross

Yeah, my daughter mentioned the Range Rover issue and said it is also the same with BMW (she drives a 4 series). She's going to add me as a named driver to see if it helps but it sounds like it might not make a difference.

• rick_chasey

Yeah. Since I'm knee deep in looking at second hand cars at the moment - you can pick up a very high spec land rover for less than a mediocre hatchback at the moment. It's mad. If you were in the market for speculating, I'd be inclined to get one, park it somewhere safe and let the insurers and Tata Motors work out a plan and sell it on once they did.

• rick_chasey

On that note, the market for 2nd hand premium cars, like high spec Porsches, BMWs etc, is also totally tanking, especially the all electric models.

Market is being flooded and presumably those who leased them are now desperate to flog them as the financing costs are much more.

The 2nd hand market for cars, especially with autotrader now, is really remarkable in its price transparency. There's so much data available it's practically impossible to miss-price a car. It's worth what it's worth and the pricing seems really responsive to supply and demand. Whilst whiling away time tube feeding the little one I've driven myself half made looking for bargains - absolutely no chance.

• photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,666

Had an email from CTT about their position on courses that transverse 20mph zones. Their stand is that no rider shall break the speed limit or other rules of the road.

So how they intend to police that rule? Ensure that bikes are fitted with factory fitted, calibrated compliant speedometers? OK we all have GPS fitted but what about those that don't wish to ride with a Garmin?

Hmmm...

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• First.Aspect

Speed limit or rules of the road, not other rules of the road. Because for cyclists the speed limit isn't one of them.

They have framed the policy poorly. What they should really be saying is don't put time trials through residential areas, because frankly a time trial in a 30 mph is probably already inappropriate.

• Pross

They're just covering the arses, if anything happens due to a rider going to fast they'll just say 'well we told them not to'. Not sure it would be defendable though.

• First.Aspect

I've never been that impressed by UK time trials tbh. Too many organised where they are allowed, but probably shouldn't, such as dual carriageways.

• carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,771

Theres been a lot of disgruntled chatter in our club about there being no laws to break, but clearly its just stupid to send competetive middle aged men riding unstable bikes, in positions that compromise vision into scenarios where they will be coming up to vehicles doing 10 mph less than them. Quite literally accidents waiting to happen.

2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,965

Because I'm of the age where I've started to think about pre-paid funerals, I've noticed the adverts for the same with a bit more scrutiny than usual.

There's just been one on for 'Pure Cremations', and it says they have a 4.9 out of 5 star rating, presumably from satisfied customers.

How?

The older I get, the better I was.

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969

Also, buyer beware. My sister coughed up for one. The firm went bust. Her best chance is a partial payback from the administrators, if anything.

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,521

Parents both went Co-op, and that was a good choice, and financially wise, given how much the cost of funerals spiralled.

• Pross

I was looking for places to go to take photos and ended up down a rabbit hole that took me to a Facebook site on the FIBUA German village in Sennybridge. Most of it seemed to be pictures of apparent grown ups (mainly male) using it for games of airsoft. Now, I'm sure it's a bit of fun (I've done and enjoyed paintball a few times) but they don't half take it seriously with their replica weapons plus side arms, spare 'magazines', camoflague uniforms with unit insignias etc. and seem to actually believe they are some kind of special forces. Some of their comments made me laugh and one photo even had the black line over a person's face to hide their identity. What possesses them?

• rjsterry

The just-discovered hen's egg that has survived intact from Roman times.

Pinnacle Monzonite

• Pross
    edited February 12
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692

If they haven't found an older intact chicken I reckon we finally have the answer.