Seemingly trivial things that annoy you

Comments

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,103

You know you are going to be using LED lamps from here on so just a question of when you get a new dimmer switch.

1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,703

How do you tell the difference between a shit led and a good one. My experience with dimmable ones is that they are all shit.

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,103

Depends what you are looking for. As I said, it's like that video about the difference between a $5 USB cable and a $90 USB cable. Cost is a strong indicator, though. And purchase from a supplier who can advise on compatibility.

1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • My daughters flat had a dimmer in the lounge and it made the led lights flicker or not work. Only took a few minutes to replace with an led compatible dimmer switch and all is fine ( made sure the leds were dimmer compatible)

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,694

Cars that beep at the outside world when they're reversing. I get it with lorries that have huge blind spots, but if you're driving a car it's your responsibility to make sure it's safe to reverse, they don't need beepers. The bloody things probably have reversing cameras anyway.

• photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,671

Currently. The Wife. For no apparent reason.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,976

The bot CURTIS5. 🤬

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,881

Still going...

Surely a function to stop new members from starting 50 consecutive posts is a pretty basic anti spam feature?

• briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,542

I've just done my bit by flagging all the remaining ones, and quite a few disappeared as I was the fifth flag. There are a few left needing the fifth, if anyone's got a few minutes (in the forum maintenance thread.

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,620

Done. Got a few to disappear and there a few more teetering on the edge with 4 flags.

"I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • briantrumpet

And still the Curtissbot is spamming. You'd have thought that an account with now 300 flags against it would have been automatically blocked.

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,620

There used to be a block on posting more than once in a certain period of time (just under a minute IIRC) which would probably do the trick.

"I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,976

I managed to clear quite a few being #5. Just the one left at time of posting.

Well done forum members!

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Well done others that also did their spam flagging bit!

================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,604

Got rid of a bunch but this is stupid

- Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,694
    edited January 19

I wish I'd read Monkimarks comment about the shortcut earlier. How can a spam post have 9 views but only 4 flags? It's not difficult once you're in there. Is that the forum equivalent of the shopping trolley test?

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661

The quality of you care, experience and sleep you get at a hospital is inversely related to how near the patient is to death.

• Never got around to fitting my ice spike tyres this week to the hybrid and riding outdoors in the chilly weather, riding to a sound similar to cooking bacon.

================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • rick_chasey

Wife is stuck in hospital for probably 3 weeks while the little one gets better and learns to feed. Brutal. Basically a prisoner.

• briantrumpet

Bad luck, RC. Guess it'll feel like a long three weeks, but fingers crossed all will be well soon. "Bon courage", as they'd say in Romeyer.

• rick_chasey

I shouldn’t complain. We’ve been alongside some really tough cases. Ours is fine we just need to get through it.

Heard at the same time someone the family knows well has found out she has incurable leukaemia aged 45 with two kids under 10.

Not trivial.

• orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,201

Aye, trust all goes well. When #1 daughter was born, ahead of schedule and blue and pulled out early, I was there, she and her mother were in recovery mode in the care ward for 3 weeks. While I was communting to Budapest, coz that's what then boss wanted... I learned aka hardened up later.

So best wishes.

• surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867

Been there and it was a very long 3 weeks.

Top tip - people disappear overnight (in a good way) so if you do make friends with other parents swap details early.

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,541

When we did a mere week in hospital, the mother of the mother next to us seemed to be in the processing of dying in the same hospital. All she wanted to do was see her newborn grandchild before dying, but wasn't being allowed to by any of the doctors. They considered the grandmother's ward too much of an infection risk for the new baby. Anyway, tough time for that family.

• briantrumpet

Undoing pedals, even with a proper pedal spanner. Doing them up nice and tight is a cinch... might have to give the LBS a go, offering them some old wheels for spares (aka clearing our some of my junk)...

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,541

Not sure if my technique is fully approved, but I put the spanner at 45 degrees leaning forward, then climb on my bike and stand / jump on it until it gives way. It does mean the chain is getting a lot of force, but has always worked for me.

Technique number two is to use an old bit of scaffolding, but I prefer the first one.

• rick_chasey

If you are deaf enough that you can only hear the phone call on speaker when you are in a cafe, you are lucky I didn’t kick off after you complained my ordering meant your wife couldn’t hear you.

Get a hearing aid or at least some earphones with a mic, you old idiot.

• briantrumpet

Yeah, couldn't find the bit of stainless still (milking machine) pipe that I've used in the past. Need to practise technique #1 of yours for the next time. The LBS did the job this time, and they took three dead wheels off me for spares.

Anyway, Trigger's Bike: new gear cables, new front 50T ring, new cassette, new chain, and not long before that new brake blocks, and new jockey wheels. If the gears don't change better now, I shall cry. Or swear, probably. Lots.