La Vuelta 2023: Stage 2: Mataró - Barcelona, 181.8km ***Spoilers***

13»

Comments

• No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,338
    orraloon said:

That's a little biased. There were riders from several teams at the front waving 'slow down' after that #n off on that roundabout, where Rog was brought down as was G, if commentators were identifying correctly.

Remco also had very flappy arms...

G said he came down in the same crash but was straight back in the peloton. He also said that riders were crashing every roundabout and that the front were going way too fast into them, so I don't think he's got any issue with Jumbo slowing the peloton
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,640

Did I hear that Roglic fell off again on Stage 2 or am I imagining that?

Someone crashed inside him going around a roundabout wiping out Roglic and Thomas therefore perpetuating talk of how they are always crashing and are terrible bike handlers whereas the reality was neither could have avoided it.
  • "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,838
    orraloon said:

That's a little biased. There were riders from several teams at the front waving 'slow down' after that #n off on that roundabout, where Rog was brought down as was G, if commentators were identifying correctly.

It's only biased if it's unfair. My thinking is you either stop for everybody, or nobody.
    Stopping for Jumbo and/or Ineos but not DSM, that's biased.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,709
    It wasn't about stopping for Rog or G, it was about knocking off the pace leading into those slippery roundabouts for safety for all.
  • pblakeney said:

orraloon said:

It's only biased if it's unfair. My thinking is you either stop for everybody, or nobody.
    Stopping for Jumbo and/or Ineos but not DSM, that's biased.
    The very point that Dan Lloyd brought up during today’s pre Vuelta show
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • pblakeney
    orraloon said:

It wasn't about stopping for Rog or G, it was about knocking off the pace leading into those slippery roundabouts for safety for all.

I think there are two discussions going on here. From what I've read there were a few slowing points. Safety, crashes and the neutralised zone.
    The crashes scenario were team specific. Refer to Dan Lloyd as per above.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,101
    orraloon said:

You really think Jumbo would have been on the front arm waving if Remco had gone down rather than Roglic?
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,338
    DeadCalm said:

orraloon said:

You really think Jumbo would have been on the front arm waving if Remco had gone down rather than Roglic?
    Remco was also on the front waving, and as far as I know, Roglic doesn't ride for Quickstep
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,101

DeadCalm said:

orraloon said:

Remco was also on the front waving, and as far as I know, Roglic doesn't ride for Quickstep
    You deflected rather than answered the question there.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,709
    Dan Lloyd has an opinion. I have. You have. Iz da real life innit.

It wasn't only JV on the front arm waving. Go look see.
  • pblakeney
    It is only an opinion, correctamundo! Remco wanted the whole race neutralised. The kind will say it was a coincidence while the cynical will double down on the positive and say "Aye, right.".
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • DeadCalm said:

orraloon said:

Quite right, but I the distinction Dan Lloyd was making, which I think some of us share on here is that it was clearly a case of self interest, instead of a general concern for peloton safety.

In which case, it doesn’t further their cause.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.